Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

wouldn't it be great if people like me with bad ideas weren't able to invest lots of money in broadcasting them to millions of gullible idiots for the express purpose of sabotaging the country for personal or ideological benefit

oh ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troutful
May 31, 2011

If you watch the video it's pretty clear that most of the students are signing to get him to shut up and leave them alone as he stands on the steps aggressively accosting passerby

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah one of the MOs of the New Right was that they had to chew away at these longstanding moderate institutions like Harvard and Yale (to a lesser extent Princeton, because of how conservative it has always been) and then try to make discourse coming from places like Liberty equivalent to the scholarship at Yale.

They don't like Princeton these days on account of black SJWs or whatever. I think Dartmouth's the current untouchable

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah pretty much- "As a college student, I like to be INVOLVED and also as a Millenial I like to see my name on things"

lol

Yeah it's really annoying and I think you've hit the reason for it on the head. It's sad how most English classes I'm in for have switched from novels to novellas because students won't and/or can't read for long lengths of time, and they're not going to read at home.

I was in for English 12 class a few weeks ago and they were reading Animal Farm and the months-away-from-graduating students told me that they couldn't understand what the characters were saying to each other haha

Please tell me you are not loving serious. We read Animal Farm in the middle of sophomore year :wtc:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Lol we read animal farm freshman year of high school and still got it pretty easily. Jesus christ.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read it in Grade 8 and it's still one of my favorite books to be honest (along with Lord of the Flies and 1984 from that same period).

But yeah I'm serious, they didn't understand the dialogue. I know that it can sometimes be challenging to read dialogue in older texts, but Animal Farm came out in 1945 :confused:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Christ i think AP english senior year we had to read canterbury tales.

My parents would always comment at how amazed they were our reading, math, and science in school had advanced so much since they were kids. Now it sounds like its plummeting the other direction.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I read it in Grade 8 and it's still one of my favorite books to be honest (along with Lord of the Flies and 1984 from that same period).

But yeah I'm serious, they didn't understand the dialogue. I know that it can sometimes be challenging to read dialogue in older texts, but Animal Farm came out in 1945 :confused:

It is because they never read outside the classroom.

They don't even read on the shitter, its a completely un-relatable generation.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Hey teach! Uhh, these animals are talking, animals can't talk! What kinda goofball book is this?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Arian_Samurai posted:

Hey teach! Uhh, these animals are talking, animals can't talk! What kinda goofball book is this?

Too much effort, it's much easier to say "This is stupid!" and toss the book on the desk and cross your arms defiantly.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

:catstare: who doesn't post from the shitter?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Microwaves Mom posted:

Christ i think AP english senior year we had to read canterbury tales.

My parents would always comment at how amazed they were our reading, math, and science in school had advanced so much since they were kids. Now it sounds like its plummeting the other direction.

Look it was upsetting the customers okay?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

i see someone passed high school

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
gently caress tipper gore ice-t and glenn danzig rule :c00lbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

i see someone passed high school

:tipshat:

Now I DRIVE the bus! :xd:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My favorite book is "Flow My Tears the Policeman Said."

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Get this, it was written back in the times that my grandparents were teenagers, but it talks about weed!!!!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

really a book from the 70s talks about weed? thats loving crazy

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

hate for this non-threat is blinding you to the real issues. sjws are not the people who are destroying our country and the future of the middle class

Conservatives are going to conservative, discussing anything with them is never an information based argument.

The left at this point IS characterized by shallow identity politics and twitter bullying celebrities.

Given that we are going to need some form of basic income in the next decade and you have a literal generation of idiots completely distracted by faux progressivism it seems a bit reckless for you to simply shoo criticism of idiots as per your shut down discussion strategy.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
lol triggered!!!!

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arian_Samurai posted:

Pretty much this.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Roberto_Silencio posted:

lol triggered!!!!

I notice that "triggered" becoming a tired meme has coincided with the dumber parts of the left no longer pushing mandatory trigger warnings as some kind of a legitimate thing, so it was probably worth it in the long run.

Also video in the OP seems edited as hell

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Landstander posted:

I notice that "triggered" becoming a tired meme has coincided with the dumber parts of the left no longer pushing mandatory trigger warnings as some kind of a legitimate thing, so it was probably worth it in the long run.

Yeah, from their tone of voice it sounds like it's been heavily selectively edited and he probably prompted them with "sign this petition, it's supposed to be an ironic demonstration of how ignorant students can be"- hence the "I like what you guys are doing" type responses.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
Fox News is better than salon dot com

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Earwicker posted:

really a book from the 70s talks about weed? thats loving crazy

What is this thing called "spice"?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

wiffle ball bat posted:

Dog poo poo vs. Cat poo poo the battle of our generation.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

The Reading Rainbow Ap is unironically the only hope for America's youth.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

wiffle ball bat posted:

Fox at least doesn't melt down when Patton Oswalt makes jokes while simultaneously giving platforms for self-admitted pedophiles, yeah.

I would at least be willing to hang out with Fox News.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
i see fox news has picked up leno's jaywalking bit

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Silliman is sorta semi off-campus and they used to have the Exotic Erotic Ball in late September which was a courtyard party where you were encouraged to be naked or half-naked. One time I was there and this girl lifted up my loincloth and checked out my junk and took me back to her room to bone but then she pulled out this weird high tech condom that had like and adhesive fastener around the base and while I was putting it on she started lecturing me about feminism. I think her fetish was ruining boners. Anyway, that might be why I don't sleep with white women very much anymore.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Landstander posted:

this idiot has made numerous videos that are "hilarious" takedowns of liberals and are also edited to hell and back. i'd search for more examples (i think he did one at Columbia) but i'm not gonna journey down that well of stupidity

Bedlamdan posted:

Fox at least doesn't melt down when Patton Oswalt makes jokes while simultaneously giving platforms for self-admitted pedophiles, yeah.

I would at least be willing to hang out with Fox News.
gently caress both of em imo. Fox News are far-right shitheels who demand ideological purity, and Salon are pseudo-leftists who demand that you agree with them about their identity politics and celebrities that they hate. granted, patton oswalt is terrible at twitter, but Salon has been obsessed with him for a long time. they also still really hate Trevor Noah long after people stopped giving a poo poo about him once they found out that he's actually a pretty good Daily Show host

and now that i put it that way, at least Fox News sometimes talks about issues of some importance, they just have awful views about them. Salon almost always talks about stupid bullshit

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sethex posted:

Conservatives are going to conservative, discussing anything with them is never an information based argument.

The left at this point IS characterized by shallow identity politics and twitter bullying celebrities.

Given that we are going to need some form of basic income in the next decade and you have a literal generation of idiots completely distracted by faux progressivism it seems a bit reckless for you to simply shoo criticism of idiots as per your shut down discussion strategy.

dot txt

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

God my school seriously did animal farm in fifth grade, year 12 is a hilarious idea.

but honestly eh do you need free speech that much? Lots of countries have no free speech and a pretty good standard of living and stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im so smart unlike these millenials

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fonzarelli posted:

God my school seriously did animal farm in fifth grade, year 12 is a hilarious idea.
animal farm is possibly a little above fifth graders imo but maybe they're engaged by the talking animals who hunger for twoleg death. i mean i'm all for advanced literacy and poo poo so y'know i'm not saying it's bad, just maybe a weird choice for ten year olds

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Fonzarelli posted:

but honestly eh do you need free speech that much? Lots of countries have no free speech and a pretty good standard of living and stuff

Do you really need any rights? You can live just fine being told not to blow other men and stuff.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Maoist Pussy posted:

Do you really need any rights? You can live just fine being told not to blow other men and stuff.

lol if you think being told not to blow other men works on anyone

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would anyone teach Animal Farm or Nineteen Eighty-Four outside of their very particular historical contexts? To make Orwell seem like an anticommunist reactionary? Why would anyone teach anticommunism in the twenty-first century?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also I'm sure there is nothing important hiding in the cuts between when he first approaches the students and when they sign the petition in every single scene.

Free speech is great because America has worked out a public sphere where we all have protected speech and it's totally worthless in accomplishing anything meaningful, so the people who take up the standard in protection of this right are assholes who want to be able to to harass people and yell out slurs. Reactionaries were super pro-censorship until colleges started telling people it was rude to use racist words 30 years ago.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Also I'm sure there is nothing important hiding in the cuts between when he first approaches the students and when they sign the petition in every single scene.

Free speech is great because America has worked out a public sphere where we all have protected speech and it's totally worthless in accomplishing anything meaningful, so the people who take up the standard in protection of this right are assholes who want to be able to to harass people and yell out slurs. Reactionaries were super pro-censorship until colleges started telling people it was rude to use racist words 30 years ago.

Magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Why would anyone teach Animal Farm or Nineteen Eighty-Four outside of their very particular historical contexts? To make Orwell seem like an anticommunist reactionary? Why would anyone teach anticommunism in the twenty-first century?

If you're reading 1984 as a reactionary piece you're probably the kind of person that reads everything like a reactionary piece

• Locked thread