Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Item Getter posted:

I never read the first two books, I think I know generally about the Tower of Joy but what would the other young Ned flashback be about?

Might be the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If I had to guess, they're gonna use it to establish Ned and Lyanna's bond before showing Tower of Joy.

Kid Lyanna's gonna say "Promise me, Ned." about something unimportant.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 29, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

If I had to guess, they're gonna use it to establish Ned and Lyanna's bond before showing Tower of Joy.

And then the camera will zoom in slowly on Young Ned's face as he slowly nods and says, "Keeping this promise, like all promises I will make with you, is super important to me."

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lycus posted:

The first flashback will be a recall of the dialogue in the crypts with the added information that she is into Rhaegar. It's really important that the viewer knows that she was not abducted and raped before the ToJ. Up to this point the show viewers only know that Rhaegar really was in love, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Lyanna did love him too.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

The first flashback will be a recall of the dialogue in the crypts with the added information that she is into Rhaegar. It's really important that the viewer knows that she was not abducted and raped before the ToJ. Up to this point the show viewers only know that Rhaegar really was in love, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Lyanna did love him too.

Most show viewers probably don't know who the gently caress this Ray Garr chap is at all - he's not exactly been mentioned very frequently.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Most show viewers probably don't know who the gently caress this Ray Garr chap is at all - he's not exactly been mentioned very frequently.

Fair point but the fact that they killed of Barristan the Expositor shows us that they feel like they have sufficiently introduced that character. Unless of course they have no loving clue what they are doing, which is an alternative explanation I would accept.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

TOOT BOOT posted:

This image is a spoiler in at least two ways.

When Bran takes over someone's body, they'll swap in Bran's actor still in the original guy's clothes, like the body-switching stones in Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Universe.

Then they'll find some random low-level foot soldier schmuck, introduce him, and 10 seconds later Bran will warg into him and we'll only ever see Bran and never see that original guest actor again, because Bran is sort of evil now and wants his legs back etc., and the writers got bored with his actual book storyline and want Bran to "do things."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You imagined it. He claimed he would have it out by the end of 2016, but it looks like he already missed that window.

Naw, he's missed the window for getting TWOW out before season 6 if you assume it would take the same amount of time between announcement and release as ADWD did. But he hasn't missed his chance to get it out in 2016 in general, whether you think the chances of that happening are likely or not.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

DirtyRobot posted:

When Bran takes over someone's body, they'll swap in Bran's actor still in the original guy's clothes, like the body-switching stones in Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Universe.

Theorizing that one could greensee within his own lifetime, cripple Bran Stark stepped into the Heart tree cave and vanished... He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Bloodraven, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a three eyed raven that only Bran can see and hear. And so Bran Stark finds himself warging from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next warg will be the warg home…

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

lifts cats over head posted:

Theorizing that one could greensee within his own lifetime, cripple Bran Stark stepped into the Heart tree cave and vanished... He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Bloodraven, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a three eyed raven that only Bran can see and hear. And so Bran Stark finds himself warging from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next warg will be the warg home…

I would watch the poo poo out of this show.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

*wargs into Hodor*
"I'm retarded?"

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

*wargs into Hodor*
"Hodor?"

Fixed that for you.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Who knows what Bran will be doing. I mean originally he was meant to be a wizard or something.

A boy sitting in a dark cave all alone (for the most part) can be interesting in a book but I'm not so sure they can pull it off on television.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Im going about my day and I randomly think of the Bad Pussy line and just start cracking up. It seriously rivals "I don't like sand." in the all time worst lines ever written.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Mischitary posted:

A boy sitting in a dark cave all alone (for the most part) can be interesting in a book but I'm not so sure they can pull it off on television.
By the sound of it, one of his main roles will be to serve as a flashback generator and a convenient tool for explaining who all the new characters seen in the flashbacks are.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Im going about my day and I randomly think of the Bad Pussy line and just start cracking up. It seriously rivals "I don't like sand." in the all time worst lines ever written.

Nah, "I don't like sand" is not supposed to be a punchline while "you want a good girls but you need a bad pussy" is. It's cheesy and cheap but the audience at least reacts the way the authors intended while "I don't like sand, [...] it gets everywhere " is not intended to make you groan and hate Anakin.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homeboy is not going to walk. Bloodraven specifically tells him "you will never walk again".

I lol'd at this reference though

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anakin had it right though, because after Season 5 I don't like Obara, Tyene and Nymeria Sand.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You want the good television, but you need the bad pussy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

"I don't like sand, [...] it gets everywhere " is not intended to make you groan and hate Anakin.

Yeah it is, unless you like whiny teenagers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Homeboy is not going to walk. Bloodraven specifically tells him "you will never walk again".

I don't understand this at all since he could just walk with the exact same methods he uses to be able to fly.

GRRM is a poo poo writer.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't understand this at all since he could just walk with the exact same methods he uses to be able to fly.

Skinchanging another human is an abomination, and presumably Bloodraven and the CotF would be pretty pissed if they found out Bran was doing it to Hodor.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Soup du Jour posted:

Skinchanging another human is an abomination, and presumably Bloodraven and the CotF would be pretty pissed if they found out Bran was doing it to Hodor.

There are creatures besides human beings which can walk.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe he's speaking like a drug dealer and he knows that Bran is going to get so high on that Jojen paste!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fixed that for you.

He'll speak English but everyone else will hear 'Hodor':

like that episode where he's a chimpanzee in a cage

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There are creatures besides human beings which can walk.

Wun Wun is apparently dumber than Hodor. Giant time

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

Bloodraven definitely knows that Bran's been entering Hodor. Dude sees everything

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Soup du Jour posted:

That is what some Wildling said. We have no clue whether Bloodraven and the CotF have the same skinchanging codex.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"It's fine as long as they're mentally disabled, like everything else in life" - Bran, Bloodraven and by extension GRRM

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The real question is how they are going to get Jojen's body back from outside so they can feed Bran Jojen shakes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

He'll speak English but everyone else will hear 'Hodor':

like that episode where he's a chimpanzee in a cage

Wun Wun is apparently dumber than Hodor. Giant time

The post makes a lot more sense now.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Steve2911 posted:

"It's fine as long as they're mentally disabled, like everything else in life" - Bran, Bloodraven and by extension GRRM

Bran's warging of Hodor is always portrayed as a horrible, exploitative thing. The text really emphasizes that Bran is doing something evil.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

In It For The Tank posted:

Bran's warging of Hodor is always portrayed as a horrible, exploitative thing. The text really emphasizes that Bran is doing something evil.

Not only that but that Bran is rationalizing it. He very much talks about it the same way an addict would discuss their drug of choice. "Just one more and then I'll stop".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

speshl guy posted:

Bloodraven definitely knows that Bran's been entering Hodor. Dude sees everything

Eeww

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Not only that but that Bran is rationalizing it. He very much talks about it the same way an addict would discuss their drug of choice. "Just one more and then I'll stop".

I'm rereading ADWD at the moment and this is spot on. Bran talks about Hodor going away and retreating into his own mind like an abused dog cowering from his owner that beats him. It's legitimately creepy and foreshadows bad stuff to come from Bran I think.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Solice Kirsk posted:

The real question is how they are going to get Jojen's body back from outside so they can feed Bran Jojen shakes.

They might have to leave it, Jojen Shakes bring all the bones to the yard.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They will tunnel to his corpse and slurp him through a straw in the snow

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bloodraven wargs into at least one dead human body, so he and his rules can get hosed

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I cant wait to see what role Oly has going forward!

You know, I honestly thought that they were going to have Oly try and warn Jon in an attempt to subvert the most obviously telegraphed expectations ever. But no.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone asked the forbidden question on notablog and GRRM said he might give an update tomorrow in his year end post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Its gonna depend on whether the Jets make the playoffs or not. If they don't he's gonna throw out everything and start over. So an entire days work.

• Locked thread