Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

lifts cats over head posted:

Maybe he's speaking like a drug dealer and he knows that Bran is going to get so high on that Jojen paste!

There's a reason they're called Greenseeers yo :420:
:birddrugs:

Elliptical Dick posted:

I'm rereading ADWD at the moment and this is spot on. Bran talks about Hodor going away and retreating into his own mind like an abused dog cowering from his owner that beats him. It's legitimately creepy and foreshadows bad stuff to come from Bran I think.

I feel like Bran's story is going to mirror Arya's in that he gets what he thinks he wants, but when he finds out the cost, he rejects it. Bloodraven was not a good person before becoming Groot's lifeparter, and I doubt he uses his powers for anything resembling altruistic things. Bran has been shown to have a strong moral center, and I doubt Bloodraven's "for the greater good we have to do these evil things" will turn him.

Who honestly thinks Arya is going to truly become a Faceless Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I think Arya has a shitload more botted-up rage and much less of a moral center than Bran. I think the only thing that would turn her off being a Faceless Man is being told "Hey, you can't just go and kill all those people you want to kill, we take contracts."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WampaLord posted:

I think Arya has a shitload more botted-up rage and much less of a moral center than Bran. I think the only thing that would turn her off being a Faceless Man is being told "Hey, you can't just go and kill all those people you want to kill, we take contracts."

There's also the whole thing about her not being Arya Stark anymore, which is something that has been explicitly shown with her refusal to get rid of needle. There will be a point where she has to give it up and she'll refuse, causing the break between the House of Black and White and her. She will take the skills she has learned and return to Westeros and wade waste deep in blood.

Though I think that the next major stage in the story will be everyone who's been scattered to start returning to Westeros.

Hahahahahah, like that will ever happen.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

twistedmentat posted:

There's also the whole thing about her not being Arya Stark anymore, which is something that has been explicitly shown with her refusal to get rid of needle. There will be a point where she has to give it up and she'll refuse, causing the break between the House of Black and White and her. She will take the skills she has learned and return to Westeros and wade waste deep in blood.
Yes, that certainly seems to be where the plot's going. I suspect that Arya's endgame will be that she gets to take her revenge but is forced to genuinely stop being Arya Stark because she'll have pissed off the faceless men and they'd hunt her down and kill her if she ever used her true face and identity.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm still hoping the assignment that brings her to Westeros is to kill Alayne Stone.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Bran's story is going to mirror Arya's in that he gets what he thinks he wants, but when he finds out the cost, he rejects it. Bloodraven was not a good person before becoming Groot's lifeparter, and I doubt he uses his powers for anything resembling altruistic things. Bran has been shown to have a strong moral center, and I doubt Bloodraven's "for the greater good we have to do these evil things" will turn him

The weird thing is it's constantly brought up that the Old Gods hate kinslayers and people who break guest rights. But Bloodraven is the Old Gods and he's slain his half-brother and a bunch of his (half?)nephews, including one who he invited to KL with the promise of safety but then nope he just killed him.

They must not be very picky.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Someone asked the forbidden question on notablog and GRRM said he might give an update tomorrow in his year end post.

"Where do Scarlett O'Hara's children go?"

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

twistedmentat posted:

There's a reason they're called Greenseeers yo :420:
:birddrugs:

I feel like Bran's story is going to mirror Arya's in that he gets what he thinks he wants, but when he finds out the cost, he rejects it. Bloodraven was not a good person before becoming Groot's lifeparter, and I doubt he uses his powers for anything resembling altruistic things. Bran has been shown to have a strong moral center, and I doubt Bloodraven's "for the greater good we have to do these evil things" will turn him.

Maybe you're right but I think Bran also has a lot of pent up frustration and he might embrace his new powers in the wrong way. We'll see what happens when The Winds of Winter comes ou......hahahaha who am I kidding

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cant wait to see what role Oly has going forward!

You know, I honestly thought that they were going to have Oly try and warn Jon in an attempt to subvert the most obviously telegraphed expectations ever. But no.

I wonder if they have Jon kill him for that will they try and frame it as a good or bad thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

bobjr posted:

I wonder if they have Jon kill him for that will they try and frame it as a good or bad thing.

If the show has any guts Jon will gut the little bastard along with every other traitor. But I just know Jon will forgive him and it'll be some little moral lesson.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's here:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/462643.html

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The live journal post was in fact his draft of Winds of Winter

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Betcha he didn't do poo poo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was one of the few people still holding out hope the book might come out anytime soon, but gently caress it, time to accept reality.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Truly the most GRRM update: nothing.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I'm dying (from laughter).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I'm dying (from laughter).

I would laugh if I wasn't so irritated, it's the worst kind of 'dog ate my homework' bullshit.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I would laugh if I wasn't so irritated, it's the worst kind of 'dog ate my homework' bullshit.

GRRM has found a whole new way to disappoint everyone, it's amazing. I can't even be mad.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

It was probably just about football anyway.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

In It For The Tank posted:

Truly the most GRRM update: nothing.

Yeah this was truly the most apt update we could ever receive

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That's really some pro-level trolling.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
On another note, all the responses I've seen to the Deadspin article about zero pages keep mentioning the sample chapters that have been released. Except weren't all those chapters already written--either years ago or cut from ADWD last minute?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It's better than I could have ever imagined. :allears:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

"I created something so large and unwieldy that its very mass caused it all to collapse in on itself into nothingness. After a time I realized that out of everything that I had written and planned to write, ultimately none of it was actually worth saying.

faaaaaaart."

-GRRM, author of the hit series A Song of Ice and Fire

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE (NOTA)BLOG . .

Hey, wait a minute!" some of you may be saying about now. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's Wild Cards and American Football? Where's the Hugo's? We hardly saw the Sad Puppies. That can't be all of it. . . ."

Well, no. There's more to come. Another post as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other topics. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the post had become too big to publish in a single blog . . . and I wasn't close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the post in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with "To Be Continued." The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a blog that told all the story for half the topics, rather than half the story for all the topics. So that's the route I chose to take.

The Hugo's, Football, Sad Puppies, Wild Cards, Jessica Jones, hbosgameofthrones, and all the rest of the subjects you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in Part 2, which will focus on events in the SF fandom and in sports, just as the present book focused on the Cocteau.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Lol that he thinks anyone looking for his livejournal blog cares about his thoughts on football

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Ague Proof posted:

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE (NOTA)BLOG . .

Hey, wait a minute!" some of you may be saying about now. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's Wild Cards and American Football? Where's the Hugo's? We hardly saw the Sad Puppies. That can't be all of it. . . ."

Well, no. There's more to come. Another post as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other topics. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the post had become too big to publish in a single blog . . . and I wasn't close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the post in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with "To Be Continued." The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a blog that told all the story for half the topics, rather than half the story for all the topics. So that's the route I chose to take.

The Hugo's, Football, Sad Puppies, Wild Cards, Jessica Jones, hbosgameofthrones, and all the rest of the subjects you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in Part 2, which will focus on events in the SF fandom and in sports, just as the present book focused on the Cocteau.

And this year GRRM is a writer on the show

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Current Location: slough of despond

same

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Haha he's so full of it, he could have easily typed up a real quick bullet point version of the most important parts but he just never got around to writing the post for whatever reason

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Too bad he didnt write it in his 39yr old dos wordstar whateverthefuck he uses to write his books.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Too bad he didnt write it in his 39yr old dos wordstar whateverthefuck he uses to write his books.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He changed his mind and is now doing short blog posts summarizing some of what he was supposedly going to say yesterday. We're getting some kind of update on the book.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've never read his blogging before. He's a whiny, mopey guy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Haha, he's totally going to save TWOW for the last post and it's going to be like, 3 sentences long.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Max posted:

Haha, he's totally going to save TWOW for the last post and it's going to be like, 3 sentences long.

Including the prologue.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Max posted:

He isn't going to post jack poo poo about TWOW and we all know it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah he's definitely done posting and didn't even breathe a word of it. Ha!

EDIT: WoW is a no-show, and Gurm says some creepy stuff about nipples. Why would we expect anything else?

Quote: Oh, and several weeks later, we defied the local prudes by showing Lina Esco's film FREE THE NIPPLE, though we had to fight to get our ads published. (We also freed some nipples in the theatre on opening night).

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nah he's still writing them, he hasn't said anything about football yet and we all know how much GRRM loves writing about football.

He's going to say something about TWOW, it just probably isn't going to be anything new, and if it is, it will be something we don't want to hear.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 2, 2016

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Nah he's still writing them, he hasn't said anything about football yet and we all know how much GRRM loves writing about football.

He's going to say something about TWOW, it just probably isn't going to be anything new, and if it is, it will be something we don't want to hear.
He hasn't said anything about football yet because the Jets/Giants aren't playing.

I guess on the bright side, when GRRM fails to post anything meaningful about TWOW, we can enjoy all the more when the Jets poo poo the bed on Sunday and GRRM posts an update about how cruel life is because no NY teams are in the playoffs this year.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"And there's something else... but no, can't talk about that one yet..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So the man basically spent two whole days writing the same blog update twice and there are still people who think that the book is coming out this year.

• Locked thread