Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

JT Jag posted:

Jeff Goldblum as the Red Viper is the best post ever made in one of these threads

That isn't a particularly high bar tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a hell of a time. Maybe I'll be looking at the thread for the next one.

Watch closely then, the joke will be for your eyes only

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

speshl guy posted:

In addition to everyone picking apart and figuring out the endings and twists to his story.

I think this is the crux of it, to be honest. Aside from the RLJ mystery getting figured out and plastered everywhere, some people have obviously figured out the end and some/all of the twists along the way. It's hard to imagine anything more morale-sapping as a writer than that. Yeah he could definitely finish it for other reasons like pride etc, but when most of your motivation is gone and a whole world of other possibilities has grabbed your attention, it's not difficult to see why other projects and stuff start taking over.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Someone with more free time than me should go back through the season 5 thread and grade everyone's predictions

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Just the prison scene I think. We all howled with laughter when that tape leaked, thinking it was a fake or at least something they came up with in five minutes that wouldn't be in the show and well yeah

And yet it still wasn't even in the top 5 worst things about Dorne

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah it was a bit weird to see Stannis, renowned got his tactical and strategic skills, decide to press a suicidal attack on a fortified position with his badly diminished and demoralised army, and then fail to do any scouting at all and have his army ambushed and demolished as it straggled out of the forest. I'll be surprised if that's how it plays out in the books.

He made a sacrifice to the Lord of Light though! :downsgun:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT 2: would you mind explaining what this theory is? Ive found a blog post about it but it probably has more words than ADWD

The Night Lamp theory in a nutshell:

quote:

Stannis used to be the Master of Ships. This means he dealt with maritime law, crime, etc. He was called upon at least once to deal with people who repeatedly used a trick to purposefully wreck ships. They would extinguish the fire from a ‘known good’ beacon and erect a false beacon somewhere else. This would cause ships to crash because they were lured into rocks or something like that.

Stannis is going to use this trick against the Freys. Stannis is currently stuck at a village in the woods between two lakes. His men have been carefully digging holes around an island in one of the lakes.

He knows that the Freys will approach a certain way, expecting to use a narrow land bridge to access the village between the lakes.

However, Stannis will eliminate the watchtower beacon fire and raise a false beacon atop the island in the lake.

Confused and in a blizzard the Freys will unwittingly traverse the lake and into the ice-fishing holes.

At that moment Stannis will draw his sword Lightbringer and blind the approaching army, maximizing the trap effectiveness and signalling the rest of his men. Catapults lob stones into the lakes shattering the ice and drowning many. Survivors are killed along the shores by men in waiting. And northmen move quickly to secure the Frey baggage train.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The first half of ASOS bored me to tears, I don't really know why but it did. I actually got so bored I quit reading 3 chapters before the Red Wedding :v:

Needless to say, picking it back up was a bit of a :asoiaf: moment, except with a book instead of a TV

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Harold Stassen posted:

There are like fifty characters named Skahaz mo Naznak or some variation thereof, all of equally dubious import/relevance

Someone here once pointed out that all the names are basically a variation on <xx> Moe Szyslak and now that's all I can read

I don't mind Shavepate, though I'm pronouncing the "-pate" to rhyme with "eight" and separating so that it's almost two words. Shave Pate. Doesn't seem too bad to me? :shrug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, how the hell else is it supposed to be pronounced?

I dunno, I was just breaking it down for the guy who thought it was super-awkward!

Remember this is the thread where several people didn't get that Damphair = Damp Hair

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Surely Bran is standing up in that photo?!

Also looks like Brienne is at the wall in her picture?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oh god they better not repeat that scene, poor Tommen :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Beeez posted:

I think that chapter of TWOW makes it seem somewhat likely she'll never actually marry him, there's a lot of shady stuff going on in the Vale and virtually everyone seems to be a potential spanner in the works for Littlefinger's plans. Including Littlefinger himself.

Sansa will definitely never marry him, because plans never ever work if they're explained in advance

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't even remember what happened with the book version of this now. Were there even any leeches or ritual or prophecy about the three "kings" dying, or was she just getting off talking about how excited she was to kill that little boy until he was smuggled out?

Yes, the leech ritual is definitely in the books. But it's pretty clear to us as readers that all three deaths were the result of human actions, not divine intervention.

With I guess the possible exception of Balon, who "fell off a bridge in a storm" but I don't think it's until later we learn indirectly that it was probably a faceless man murdering him on Euron's orders.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

When she burns Stannises blood leeches it works because he has Targaryan blood on his mothers side.

Except it's pretty clear (to us, the readers) that the leeches had nothing to do with any deaths.

She's seen a reasonably clear vision that Robb/Balon/Joffrey will all die, and uses the leech ritual to manipulate Stannis into believing she's responsible.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

esperterra posted:

I know right?? Ugh I bet she isn't even a real redhead. Disgusting.

Next you're going to tell me that Emilia Clark isn't even a natural blonde :rolleyes:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

And yeah there's a bunch of ways to rules-lawyer out of that statement:
- It's not Jon Snow, it's Jon Stark/Targaryen/Other
- She just wanted to burn his corpse and his kingly Targ fire-powers "woke the dragon"
- It was the Lord of Light, not Melisandre
- He's now a zombie like Coldhands, so technically he didn't get resurrected since he's not alive

Or of course she's just lying

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

"Apologies for what you're about to see"

This line really should've been in the trailers for last season imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The lack of any hints of Sand Snakes is just a plus.

Yeah I was pretty pleased at that too. Literally the only hint of Dorne was that ship arriving in King's Landing with Jaime and Myrcella

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Interesting, I don't remember this. Where was it implied that Tywin was poisoned?

http://boiledleather.com/post/24196234491/tywin-lannister-dead-man-making GBS threads

It's reasonably convincing, as I think it's the only decent explanation for why Tywin's body rots so quickly and horribly in a way that nobody else's does.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

I was actually kinda worried about Kevan Lannister's portrayal on the show after he was relegated to being an extra in the first two seasons, but all it took was one scene with him ridiculing Cersei to her face and now the audience loves him. He should've had the line about thinking Tommen still has his father with him, too, but maybe that's forthcoming. All we'd need is one scene of him suggesting he knows about Cersei and Jaime and that scene from last season and he's perfectly set up to die by the hand of Varys and his little birds.

Given that Varys isn't around, if Kevan keeps gaining influence over Tommen/cooperating with the Tyrells, I could almost see Cersei orchestrating his death. Probably a long shot, but unlikelier things have happened on this show.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Meowbot posted:

I finished season 5 despite friends sayin it was bad It was an awesome experience I recommend seas on5 to ALL speople big or tall. I had no idea the twists and turns (I m not a book watcer personally so I have on ly seen the show) so at this time only having seen the show and not the book I enjoyed what events transpired .... until I found out some TRICKERY was afoot with some changes between the show &the books? How dare they ... I looked up said trickery and omg miranda wasnt even in th book ? She was the most lovable character the interaction scene wher he and sana have the bow fight was awesome.

Anyways, what is up with the lady's nose bleeding while the other girl is dying from the poison? I jsut couldnt put that one together ...

I haven't spoiled season 6 but whatever happens will be cool I think.

This year, Meowbot is the OP of the thread

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

If you remove dead people, the only connection left between Mereen and the rest of the world is the minimal thickness Jamie <=> Barristan link.

It's only based on ASOS for some reason, so yeah there's a bunch of stuff still to happen and connections to add/remove. That's probably also why Sansa comes up so highly, since for most of that book she's at court in King's Landing and interacting with a lot of characters.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ballz posted:

I've been avoiding this thread and really, any Game of Thrones/GRRM news in general for the last 5 or 6 months. It has been a blissful and happy period of my life, but there is a sense of emptiness that has grown by the day. Brothers, I am back and ready for the Stranger's embrace.

Don't worry, we haven't come up with any new jokes in the meantime! It's still Dany shits in a field, Twenty Good Men and "This Year, <x> is a writer on the show".

And I swear, if they kill off Ghost I'm gunna be so loving mad

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks like that theory about the burning flayed bodies in front of the battle (image #33) is wrong. For anyone who's forgotten, the theory was that the flayed bodies were of Roose and Fat Walda

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Something else interesting: in that shot of Max von Sydow as Bloodraven, he's clearly standing at the Tower of Joy (notice the terrain and the dead bodies behind him).

So I guess him and Bran will be able to wander around inside the vision, but without disturbing what's going on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I guess this year if any screeners leak out we'll know where they came from:

http://www.techinsider.io/game-of-thrones-obama-season-six-screeners-2016-4

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Max posted:

There were two scenes that were leaked that people couldn't believe were true, but sure enough, they happened. I forget what the other one was.

Wasn't it another Sand Snake scene? The one where they clumsily introduce themselves to each other, even though they're sisters?

edit; Actually on that note, have we even seen them in any previews or trailers for this season?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Alfie looks like a 40 year old red skull in this what the heck

He looks a lot like Peter Dinklage for some reason :psyduck:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Is Hodor coming back? He is the only reason the Bran arc is watchable.

He was at the premiere I think so I'm pretty sure he's in

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Season 5 was awful but Seasons 1-4 were great. So I'm foolishly going to keep watching. Also I have nothing better to do with my life.

House of Cards bounced back massively this year after a poo poo season last year, so it's equally possible this show will as well.

I actually feel like this season is going to resolve a lot of the Northern politics between the Boltons, the Starks and the various vassals. I think that also means the focus of next season could be on another 3-way war between a unified North under Jon, the Tyrells/Lannisters, and the Dornish. I think there's enough potential for good political drama in there, especially with the minor independent players like Brienne, Littlefinger, Sansa etc.

Which sets things up nicely for another table flip when the Wall comes down and Drogon torches Kings Landing.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

meristem posted:

Almost correct, except for the Dany part. She's still in Meereen in the last episode.

I think she'll actually spend the entire next season moving through Essos. She will probably need to stop in Volantis, because of the slaves and Yara (and possibly Theon) there. Then she'll probably have a fight with Euron over the Narrow Sea, like Lycus said. I think that by the time she arrives in King's Landing, Jaime will have probably killed Cersei, leaving the Iron Throne vacant.

When you say "next season", do you mean season 6? Because yeah I agree she probably isn't going back to Meereen at all until maybe late in the season. Though it'd be cool if the only way to convince the Dothraki to follow her across the sea to Westeros was by burning down Meereen (and destroying everything she worked so hard to build). If she looks back, she is lost and all that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That's pretty cool actually, that there's decent sized bits of info we're only finding out about now. I guess their new anti-leaking policies are working!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The revelation will be that none of the Stark kids will ever meet each other again. Or that Arya will kill all of them

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is even the point of Bran and Bloodraven? What do they even add to the story? If you were to remove all traces of their plot nothing would change.

In ADWD Bran was able to speak to Theon through a weirwood tree, and that's when he's only just starting to develop his powers. I'd imagine that in time he'll be fully capable of reading and influencing people's thoughts, just as Bloodraven has done to him since book 1. He's even already doing this with Hodor, taking a step up to people with much more willpower is probably not that far away.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I can only imagine the collective poo poo-fit that'll occur when the series ends not in a climactic battle, but in a round of intense treaty negotiations between Tyrion, Jon and the Night's King.

The theory about the Others seems to hold a lot of water, but yeah I agree the "Jon will marry an Other" part is a bit silly. Given the notion of a "bittersweet" ending and not having dichotomous good/evil factions, my dumb theory for how the end-game will play out is:
- Dany finally attacks and burns down a lot of the continent
- Jon unites Westeros and the Others to defeat her, ending with the deaths of Dany and her dragons
- the Others make it a condition of their retreat that Jon comes with them as a ward/hostage/exile (bearing in mind as well that with Dany dead he's the last Targaryen)
- the Throne is thrust upon someone who doesn't want it, but can do a decent job of uniting the kingdoms with both diplomacy and marriage (Sansa would be my guess)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Without going too far into it, Saruman basically had no "power" left by the end of ROTK, only his voice. The ruffians are some hobbits and some men of Saruman's - it turns out a lot of the trouble started not long after Frodo & co left the Shire.

But yes you're right, and that was basically the point. Saruman was so petty and worthless that he resorted to ruining the Shire simply because he could, rather than doing anything more useful. There's also hints that Gandalf knew (or had some idea) of what was going on, but just ignored it because he knew Frodo/Sam/Merry/Pippin had grown up enough to deal with it themselves.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Gandalf lied, lotho died. What did he know and when did he know it?

Bagendghazi

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Targaryen: In a bit of strife since Dany is barren and

Dany isn't barren. She either miscarries or has a period during that "making GBS threads in the grass" chapter we all love so much.

I'm also going to make two bold predictions:
- Harry the Heir will amount to exactly nothing and Sansa will inherit the Vale directly
- None of the remaining Stark children will ever meet again in person (in the books)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The cat was such a pain in the rear end to film that hey will never do it again.

I guess it was a lot like herding cats :downsrim:

• Locked thread