Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dolash posted:

I really enjoyed last season and I am really looking forward to the new season!

It does make me a little sad, though. My mother loved this show and read the books at the same time I did, and we used to talk about it all the time. She passed away this year. At least I can still chat about it here when it comes out.

:smith:

Good news though, long standing favorite character Khal TBA is casted!

In It For The Tank posted:

Elie Haddad as Khal TBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bit hard to justify getting rid of Stannis in order to thin the cast/plot because he goes nowhere when Season 5 saw the triumphant debut of the totally necessary Sand Snakes and Dorne. I wonder what essential storylines featuring the Sand Snakes are to come.

None. They killed myrcella. Thy will be background noise in any future Dorne plots.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Just noticed this on the wiki:

:rolleyes:

Plz. His eye for detail is like no other.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I don't see why people get upset about Brienne killing Stannis. It's fitting for her or Loras to be his final killer. Unless you want irony of some sort and Melisandre does it or something.

But thematically it fits just fine.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

He didn't actually have to die. Especially not then.

Of course he has to die. He's done really awful things. Dying alone in the snow is a pretty kind death for him honestly.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Because it's ridiculous for her to be present for the battle? She's just walking alone from Kings Landing all the way up to Winterfell for no reason and randomly is the only person to locate and find the king after a battle when every survivor on both sides should be hunting him down.

How is that honestly any more ridiculous than her wandering the river lands for months. Or Sam brushing up against arya and bran. Or any of the other of completely ridiculous coincidences and occur in these novels.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm an unabashed show fanboy, preferring it over the books in so many ways at this point.

I wish they had left the songs out.

Hearing a mediocrely written line or two in text is one thing, having that translated into "a song" just makes me cringe to the point of physical illness.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

gently caress that, that's hilarious.

Then again, I love that literally no one can resist making "I don't believe it" gags around Richard Wilson even though it's always so awkward. It haunts him wherever he goes and its been happening for years. Case in point, I just happened to have relistened to Stephen Merchant's attempt at it the other day from like 2002.

As a filthy American, I sat there staring at him wondering where I knew him from. Scanned through his wiki filmography going "nope nope nope" until there it was. Near the bottom. In small print.

The Man who knew too Little.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Whatever they do, it will be better than whatever George shits out in 2019.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Slugworth posted:

I absolutely lose it every time. I don't care if it's in the book, I don't care if it's based on a real practice, I just don't care. It's mind blowing that it got past the trial and error stage of design.

What's the googly eyes thing?

N.B. I'm binging on IT crowd right now and your Av cracked me up.
edit: vv lol I forgot about that thanks.

hanales fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 12, 2016

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Its more like you're at a party and you tell everyone you have this awesome joke. So you begin to tell the joke and a man named Dave was about halfway through his workday when it dawned on him that it was his wife Kate’s birthday, and that he hadn’t bought her a present yet. Dave loved his wife and didn’t want to disappoint her, so he thought hard, trying to come up with a good idea for a gift. Soon it dawned on him that Kate had been hinting that she’d like to have a dog someday soon. She had always had dogs growing up and was disappointed that she couldn’t keep one at their old apartment. They had only recently bought a house with a sizable yard, one that was perfect for a dog or two. Dave couldn’t think of a better way to show his love for his wife than to come home today with a dog. After work Dave went to a nearby pet shop owned by a friend of his named Carlos. “Carlos, Kate wants a dog,” he said, “and today is her birthday. It’s kind of sudden, but do you have a really nice, friendly and attractive dog that she might like?” “I sure do,” said Carlos, who led Dave into the back of the store where there were a number of kennels, each containing a dog. Carlos led him all the way to the back of the room and pointed to a particular kennel. “Take a look,” said Carlos. Dave looked into the kennel and saw that inside was a young but grown dog with a coat that was a rich brown color. Most remarkably, Dave noticed that the dog’s coat was amazingly, fantastically, overwhelmingly shaggy. “That’s the shaggiest dog I have ever seen,” said Dave, amazed. “Yep,” said Carlos, “and he’s friendly, too.” Carlos opened the kennel and brought out the dog, who nuzzled against Dave and licked his hand. “I’ll take him,” said Dave. Half an hour later Dave’s car pulled up into the driveway of his home. Kate, who arrived home from work earlier, saw him coming and came out to greet him. When Dave opened the back door and let the dog out, Kate gasped with delight and ran to meet the new pet, who took to her immediately. “Happy birthday, Kate,” said Dave, kissing his wife on the cheek as she hugged the dog. “Thank you, baby,” she said. “He’s beautiful. I think he’s the shaggiest dog I’ve ever seen!” “I know!” said Dave. “That was the first thing I noticed about him.” image“I think he’s the shaggiest dog in the neighborhood,” said Kate. “We should show him to the Lassiters next door.” “Let’s do that now,” said Dave. He attached the leash he had bought on to the dog’s collar and the three of them walked next door and rang the doorbell of their next door neighbors, the Lassiters. Mr. Lassiter emerged. "Hey Dave, Kate,” said Mr. Lassiter. “What’s going on?” “We’d like you to meet the newest member of our family,” said Dave, who then pointed down to the dog. Mr. Lassiter was shocked. “Wow,” he said, “That’s the shaggiest dog I’ve ever seen!” “He certainly is shaggy,” said Kate. “I think this is the shaggiest dog in the entire city!” said Mr. Lassiter. “We should show this dog to the mayor! I’ll call my friend at city hall tonight!” Mr. Lassiter made the call, and his friend arranged for a meeting on the steps of city hall the next day during Dave’s Lunch break. The mayor was amazed and pleased with the dog. “That’s the shaggiest dog I’ve ever seen!” said the mayor. “Thank you,’ said Dave. “Why, I think it’s the shaggiest dog in the entire state! You should bring this dog to meet the governor! I’ll arrange it right away.” The mayor called the governor’s office and arranged a meeting for the following Saturday when the governor was in town. Dave brought the dog to the governor’s hotel and the state’s chief executive met him and the dog along with the mayor next to the hotel pool. “That’s the shaggiest dog I’ve ever laid eyes on!” exclaimed the governor. "He certainly is a shaggy dog,” said Dave. “I’ll say,” said the mayor. “This is easily the shaggiest dog in the state,” said the governor. “I think it may be the shaggiest dog in the entire country!” “Really?” said Dave. “Yes!” said the governor. “I think it’s time to take this dog to meet the President of the United States!” The governor’s office made the arrangements. Two weeks later Dave, Kate, the dog, the mayor and the governor flew to Washington, D.C. and arrived via taxi at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. An aide ushered them through the White House and into the Rose Garden, where they waited for the President. About an hour later, accompanied by the strains of “Hail to the Chief,” the President of the United States entered the Rose Garden. He shook hands with the governor, the mayor, Dave and Kate. “So is this the dog I’ve heard so much about?” asked the President. “Yes,” said Dave. The President reached down and petted the dog on the head. He looked at the dog closely. “This is the dog that you think is so shaggy?” said the President. “Yes,” said Dave, “Don’t you think he’s the shaggiest dog you’ve ever seen?”
“No,” said the President.

This year Ague Proof is a writer on the show.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

tin can made man posted:

More bookbased theory (sorry, show watchers lol

lol we're never getting another book.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Can we officially get hyped then?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Was that Jon Snow at the 1 minute mark?

Also, how bad rear end is the onion knight.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
They did get unlucky with growth spurts, same with Sophie Turner. It will be interesting to see Bran do some actual acting this year, if there is as much happening as it seems maybe we'll get to see if he's any good as an adult.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Zero One posted:

Yeah but I want to watch on my big TV, not my little laptop.

I might try this.

Buy an apple TV?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Those two are pretty much the worst people on the internet and I'm glad they are being spoiled, because they were the epitome of book reader douchebags.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

I hate the way many people in this thread seem to agree that books 4 and 5 were pure poo poo. Even if the overall quality was lower, there were individual storylines in those books that were among the best in the series. Just off the top of my head, I found Bran incredibly dull until Book 5, when his chapters suddenly became super compelling. Reek/Theon was also great, and Cersei's chapters were spectacular when GRRM wasn't giving in to his obsession with "huge, dark nipples" or whatever the gently caress. The Walk of Shame was especially good.

There are several cool things in both books. But they should have been half as long and been one book. If you read the internet re-ordering PDF, you'll still find yourself skipping large swaths of text that just doesn't matter and is boring as hell.

So compared to the early books, which had boring poo poo but less of it, and more plot progression, they are a huge dip in quality, because we really aren't that much further two books in, and let's be honest, it's been 15 years now. If you make the reader wait that long for closure or progression, they are going to be harsher on what you release.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

He's busy rowing the sand snakes back to Dorne.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Schadenfreude against GRRM, Benioff and Weiss, and all the fans who haven't dropped this NBC schlock.

You've changed my mind.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I got a real "presenting jabba with the droids" vibe from the Rickon scene, but I may just be projecting what I would like to see.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. Episode 4 is usually a good one.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Dorne used a scorpion to kill Meraxes in the First Dornish War.

You mean like that time when Barristan the Bold, one of the greatest knights of the 7 kingdoms, who not only ended the male Blackfyre line but also rescued King Aerys II in a daring one-man assault during the Defiance of Duskendale, was killed by a few guys with daggers?

Thanks for explaining why I shouldn't like things by pointing out things you didn't like.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody with a working brain liked that.

But other fun things happened in that episode, so my initial point still stands.

People no longer being able to masturbate to old man daddy Selmy is not really my problem.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

there was only one decent episode last season and that wasn't one of em.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. The fourth episode is usually a good one.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
The wife and I watched it last night.

It was a good episode 4.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Chadzok posted:

Why did they not see the potential here? Brienne in the show is p drat good, this would have been such an awesome storyline for her. Instead she camped outside Winterfell for an entire season.

I wonder if her abbreviated storyline was caused by Star Wars filming conflicts.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is valonqar? Don't remember that word from the books.

And what was Cersei's prophecy again? Did it differ at all between books and show? And have there been any other prophecies that have come true at all? Why would this random swamp lady have that power any way?

It means brother, and eve book prophecy says the valonqar will kill her. She assumes it's tyrion but book readers theorize it will be Jaime.

They don't address on the show that I can remember, in the books it's part ofbthebreason she's so paranoid after Joffrey dies.

Lots of prophecy comes true in the books but the question becomes how much is self-fulfilling.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I like all the salt about the plot points, and the assumptions that Martin is a better writer and has some brilliant Hodor reveal planned for ADoS.

You guys are going to be so sad in 2025 when brandon sanderson releases it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
That was a great episode. The ending was awesome, and my wife and I both teared up. (I even knew what was going to happen).

Kingsmoot was underfunded. Is it cheapness that keeps the crowds small for these scenes, or is it they are trying to minimize leaks?

Either way, throw some CGI ironborn in there, make it look like a big crowd.

Things we laughed at -- Brienne calling John brooding.

Things we laughed harder at -- loving Tormund giving that look.

Best episode of the season for me.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

1) While it was supposed to be dramatic, the way it played out made Bran a dick who was responsible for ruining Hodor's whole life and forcing him to sacrifice himself for him. Hodor has been a caring parental figure for Bran for even a longer time than his very own parents, and he just tosses him away as if he was expendable.

I think the scene would have played much more better if Hodor had pulled a Dieing as Yourself moment and sacrificed of his own free will to protect Bran, while Meera shouted out for him to Hold the Door and that echoed into the past or some poo poo.

I think that may be the point right? Bloodraven basically did a dick thing to guarantee their safety, causing Bran to do something awful. Bran realizes he has a lot of power to wield, and could go down a pretty dark path with it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It doesn't rule it out but it makes it less likely. They went from theoretically being their own race with their own culture and society to being a weaponized monster. Sure I guess they may have gone their own way somewhere along the line but the fact remains is that they were created to be monsters that want to kill men. They have no agency. of their own. They're now the Alien from Alien.

Where is this theory from? Because everywhere in the books they are a boogeyman until we see proof of them, then they are just a bigger boogeyman. At what point did they have any "agency" or "culture" in the actual story?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Majorian posted:

Could be that Coldhands did die long ago and remained a legendary figure, and Benjen just took up the mantle on his own volition. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it's one possibility I can think of.

The Dread Pirate Coldhands?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Speaking of accents, can an English person explain to me what region it is that makes the "TH" sound like an "F"?

Like, "Fing" instead of "Thing" for example.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
HBO Now is loving down over here. Can't connect from any device.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME THAT WAS AMAZING

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Cersei really has a Bowie look to her this episode.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
That suicide holy poo poo. Just done.

This is the greatest first 5 minutes of any episode ever.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

Alfie is a pretty mediocre actor but okay. Also, pretty sure everyone knows that.

I think he's pretty great.

https://youtu.be/SzX4nNbjHis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Ask him to yarp

:stare: He was lurch in hot fuzz?

My mind is blown, I seriously never knew that.

• Locked thread