Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

isaboo posted:

Kenji owns (although he says he's not a big fan of sardines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSsdhltXWU

"I'm not a fan of sardines or mackerel"

video closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
not everyone can be enlightened

it just means more 'dines for us

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Kenji eat the bones

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
"Oil can sense fear."

Good way of putting it, best way of putting food in oil that I have heard.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Kenji eat the bones

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Tried the RTG Habanero dines last night. They were pretty fuckin hot! A little too hot for me to eat on their own, so I ate them on triscuits which ended up cutting into the heat perfectly (for my heat tolerance at least) I enjoy decently spicy stuff but dont care for 'stupid hot' poo poo like ghost pepper or carolina reaper nuclear anal fusion 5000 sauce and these were right on the perfect balance of good heat and good flavor. Will definitely buy again.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

dsf posted:

the RTG Habanero dines

$9.00 is pretty steep

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Bad sardine pain: I moved to the countryside and took my first shopping trip to the nearby city. Found a nice euro-grocery which was focused on Pakistani food, loaded up on good rice. They had a stack of Moroccan sardines with chili on sale an I grabbed a few. Now I got around to trying one and they taste amazing, they will probably be no longer in the store when I have the next opportunity to go there. And I can't find them on the internet, though while good they are not at the worth mail ordering tier.

Good sardine pain: The chili in these here sardines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VictualSquid posted:

They had a stack of Moroccan sardines with chili on sale an I grabbed a few. Now I got around to trying one and they taste amazing, they will probably be no longer in the store when I have the next opportunity to go there. And I can't find them on the internet, though while good they are not at the worth mail ordering tier.

Please share the brand in case others get lucky!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Please share the brand in case others get lucky!

The brand seems to be named Tissa.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roUgzHjWoLM

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

looks good op

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
The fried sardines look good, but I can't get past the fact that for about the same amount of work and money I can fry smelts, which so far in life I can always find fresh or frozen somewhere.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
kinda flies in the face of why dines are a part of my diet, i eat the dines over the kitchen sink so that i can eat fried foods later

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
My RTG order came with a paper printed cookbook

idk wtf panch phoron is, though it did not seem to matter

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
"EAT FROM THE TIN LIKE A HEATHEN"

I love it but someone should tell the author to put EAT THE drat BONES on the next edition.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just had scrambled eggs, salsa and sardines covered in cheese as a nacho dip

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.
[quote="Roki B" post="538602772"]

Panch phoron is an Indian 5-spice containing fenugreek, celery seed, nigella, cumin, and fennel. The dish is fine without it for sure, but I bet it would taste much different.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Roki B posted:

I just made this with some canned smoked salmon I had that I wasn’t super impressed with on its own, and it was excellent. Thanks for posting :)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Microwave small potato with a little water covered tightly 2 min, then break up and crisp in olive oil, add one egg, s&p, 2 large ‘dines with skin and bones (of course), few pickled Jalapeño slices. Microwave 4 corn (of course) tortillas wrapped in wet paper towels inside a sealed ziplock back for a minute (The Bayless Trick). Serve with a little salsa, hot sauce, and if you have (I didn’t) onions/cilantro/lime. Two hellya breakfast tacos.

I almost never eat breakfast but this came to me in a dream, and I made it and it ruled.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Remulak posted:

crisp in olive oil

I guess, if you’re out of duck fat

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Check out this fire chain. Meant for the thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jewelry/s/xTEEilqW7Q

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am dangerously low on hot sauce to put on my canned fish. Is there a website similar to RTG but for hot sauce? I’d prefer to support an independent sauce monger if I can

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I am dangerously low on hot sauce to put on my canned fish. Is there a website similar to RTG but for hot sauce? I’d prefer to support an independent sauce monger if I can

Heatonist probably. They got big because of the Hot Ones show but they're still a company run by a few people.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

I guess, if you’re out of duck fat
Good idea in general, but in retrospect I put a chunked Spanish tortilla with sardines inside Mexican tortillas, olive oil was correct.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Count Thrashula posted:

Heatonist probably. They got big because of the Hot Ones show but they're still a company run by a few people.

Good to know, it is time to order thank you

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I like Heat Hot Sauce shop. They're a small monger and I've always gotten great stuff from them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Remulak posted:

Good idea in general, but in retrospect I put a chunked Spanish tortilla with sardines inside Mexican tortillas, olive oil was correct.

Let’s compromise with a recommendation for use of lard.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ate sardines then went out and shot a gun. testosterone levels are just off the chart

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This guy is copying Chef John's weird cadence and it's freaking me out.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

youd better hope that dine is firm if youre gonna fry it you son of a bitch

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

Let’s compromise with a recommendation for use of lard.
If it's the good poo poo you get from a Mexican grocery store, hellya.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The Fishwife smoked mackerel with chili flakes is excellent.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How is mackerel compared to herring. I can't eat sardines.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 2, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hollismason posted:

How is mackerel compared to herring. I can't rat sardines.

Fattier and more flavorful. I prefer mackerel to sardines, and don't really like herring.
Mackerel also works great with almost all sauces and food pairings that fit sardines. Not so reliably with those planned for herrings.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No bones right?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

No bones right?

:chloe:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What? I can't eat bones or cartilage

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hollismason posted:

No bones right?

You can get mackerel with or without spines. Without bones is the default, though you still sometimes get actual fishbones even in those that you need to pick out. Just like with herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The Mackerel I've had is a little less fishy than sardines, and far more dense.

This is the stuff I had today but it was priced at half this. My Sprouts just started carrying this line and looks liek they're using introductory pricing maybe.

https://shop.smokinggoose.com/products/smoked-mackerel-with-chili-flakes-by-fishwife

I think the hot chili oil helps it a lot over king oscar's water they use with mackerel. But they also add a little sugar and salt, just a really good flavor. It'd be a sin not to use the oil