Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Like it's played before debates and baseball games and every one seems to go wild for it at the end whooping and cheering like Iron Maiden just started playing but it's a pretty boring song. I don't get it.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It's cool that our American national anthem has a built in fireworks cue.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
No, OP.

Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkhbpeL-8sY

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I do.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress YEAH!!

Not only is it a song about the greatest country in the history of the world (suck it ancient rome!) but it signifies sports is about to happen! Also I am drunk when they play it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Its a good song, but most female singers ruin it with that opera bullshit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I recommend listening to God Save the Queen instead OP.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

I still want to know who was in charge of that decision.

"Hey, you know who has a beautiful voice? Well...."

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
not really but since nationalism is hammered into you at every turn in the greatest country on earth it's just a thing that happens over and over and over and over and over

until you are numb to it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A moot point as our national anthem is not intended to be entertaining. It's a song meant to embody the spirit of what it is to be an American and remind us of our origin as a revolutionary state that overcame the greatest empire in the world in order to be born.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's really loving creepy that we play it before every sporting event, like really loving creepy. I take my hat off or whatever just so people won't freak out, but I don't think people should be pressured into being a nationalist every time they want to watch a baseball game.

America loving sucks, deal with it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Good national anthems:

Italian.
German.
British.
Mexican.
French.

The rest are bad.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Bonus points if this precedes it

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

yeah, best track on Kid A

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
The national anthem of Uruguay is the best in the world by a mile and so was their former president, José Mujica. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Azx7dcS0lFA

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

One time after the national anthem at a Rockies game the guy next to me turned to me and was like "Those kids down there were on their phones the whole time, they have no respect for this country I fought for!"

And I just kind of turned into Hank Hill and was like "Boy, I, um, I don't think they do, I'll tell you what." Then I went and sat somewhere else.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The song is about night battles and explosions what's not to like idiot?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OctoberBlues posted:

One time after the national anthem at a Rockies game the guy next to me turned to me and was like "Those kids down there were on their phones the whole time, they have no respect for this country I fought for!"

And I just kind of turned into Hank Hill and was like "Boy, I, um, I don't think they do, I'll tell you what." Then I went and sat somewhere else.

that doesnt sound like something hank hill would do

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It's already pretty long and boring and people like to draw it out even longer when they sing. So no.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

OctoberBlues posted:

It's really loving creepy that we play it before every sporting event, like really loving creepy. I take my hat off or whatever just so people won't freak out, but I don't think people should be pressured into being a nationalist every time they want to watch a baseball game.

America loving sucks, deal with it.

I'm also a huge milquetoast bitchboi who thinks being pressured into singing a song is just one step away from living in fear of the secret police.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Enfield posted:

that doesnt sound like something hank hill would do

Sorry, I meant my speaking voice turned into Hank Hill.

Hank Hill would kick my rear end if he knew my thoughts on the national anthem.

Applewhite posted:

I'm also a huge milquetoast bitchboi who thinks being pressured into singing a song is just one step away from living in fear of the secret police.

Cool, can we start a lunch club? Bitchbois for the Denationalization of America??

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Good national anthems:

Italian.
German.
British.
Mexican.
French.

The rest are bad.

You missed the USSR who had the best anthem.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

NihilismNow posted:

You missed the USSR who had the best anthem.

Is it still their anthem? I was going to include it but just wanted to keep it to active ones.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know who else had a national anthem? Hitler.

Think about it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

You know what's fuckin rad?

Droppin bombs and poo poo.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Is it still their anthem? I was going to include it but just wanted to keep it to active ones.

More or less, i think they changed the lyrics about great Lenin inspiring the people towards labour and valourous deed and towards the final victory of communism.

I think countries without a annual military parade to play their national anthem at are slacking.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Compared to other national anthems it kinda sucks tbh, esp compared to tunes like La Marseillaise or Hatikvah...we could do much better imo

I also think the national symbol should have been a wild turkey instead of the bald eagle per what Benjamin Franklin said.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

frytechnician posted:

The national anthem of Uruguay is the best in the world by a mile and so was their former president, José Mujica. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Azx7dcS0lFA

That is a heck of an anthem. I do not know any Mujica but did he design the silly little teletubbies sun flag they have? I like it.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The only national anthem I love is the one that ends with "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I like it as a song but 99% of the renditions you hear are weak and lame.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Mariana Horchata posted:

I also think the national symbol should have been a wild turkey instead of the bald eagle per what Benjamin Franklin said.

“For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this injustice, he is never in good case but like those among men who live by sharping & robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district. He is therefore by no means a proper emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our country…

“I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America… He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.”

I think he was joking about the turkey? I don't know, I hear a lot of people talking about Franklin and his turkey love and it seems like one of those historical old wives tales.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

lol this is a pro move by rosie o donnel

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mariana Horchata posted:

Compared to other national anthems it kinda sucks tbh, esp compared to tunes like La Marseillaise or Hatikvah...we could do much better imo

a more majestic yet delicious creature has yet to be discovered

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
This is the only version we should use.

https://vimeo.com/5446117

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i enjoy that it's long and at the olympics we make everyone sit through it a hundred times

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
I can't start my day off right without a strong whole hearted performance of Oh Canada!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't like the tendency of public performers to try to personalise the everloving gently caress out of it. Stop trying to use the the goddamn national anthem as a vanity piece and have some reverence for your loving state.

That being said, when I hear the anthem properly performed it always brings a little patriotic tear to my eye. That also being said, I maintain that America the Beautiful would be a better anthem.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qb8Ce6HNHc

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

1500quidporsche posted:

Good national anthems:

British.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Our national anthem should've been The Battle Hymn of The Republic.

• Locked thread