Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I know Brian Eno made / makes use of the I Ching or was at least inspired by it for his Oblique Strategies. So that's a point in its favor, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://www.thateden.co.uk/dirk/dirk.htm

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
This is cool.
I am of the opinion that the Dirk Gently series is superior to HHGttG, anyway.

e: spelling

H.H fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 30, 2015

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I also have used the Y¨¬j¨©ng for sorcery and it's intense sometimes. I did a reading for a mom who turned out to be kind of a huge oval office and that's basically what the reading said but she didn't get it. Made a bunch of sounds like "woah so deep & profound" but then didn't act on it and actually did the opposite. lo and behold it was right.

op ask it if I should try to reconnect with estranged friends on new years or just go home and do my old ritual of waiting in the dark and then pouring myself one drink of the fancy poo poo they don't make no more right at 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I also have used the Y¨¬j¨©ng for sorcery and it's intense sometimes. I did a reading for a mom who turned out to be kind of a huge oval office and that's basically what the reading said but she didn't get it. Made a bunch of sounds like "woah so deep & profound" but then didn't act on it and actually did the opposite. lo and behold it was right.

op ask it if I should try to reconnect with estranged friends on new years or just go home and do my old ritual of waiting in the dark and then pouring myself one drink of the fancy poo poo they don't make no more right at 12

From what I read, you shouldn't ask the oracle yes/no question.

I can give you advice from me, if you want: Tonight, I'm vacationing alone in a strange city. Almost no events for the night BEFORE new year's eve. I still found something, and by god I will exhaust that possibility like a motherfucker.
Don't sit at home alone and drink if you can help it. It's not good for you, or anyone for that matter. [what's Chinese for namaste?]

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah man I know it's not yes/no I mean it more like should I go back to what I been doing, try to reconnect, or do something else

just be like hey what should he do or consider for new year's

also I literally only drink one of this, it's an old bottle that they literally stopped making years ago and it will never be made again. So I like to drink one on new years and it'll be exhausted with the passage of time like all things.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Seated on his bed, a cup of lukewarm tea beside him, Frink got down his copy of the I Ching. From their leather tube he took the forty-nine yarrow stalks. He considered, until he had his thoughts properly controlled and his questions worked out.

Aloud he said, 'How should I approach Wyndam-Matson in order to come to decent terms with him?' He wrote the question down on the tablet, then began whipping the yarrow stalks from hand to hand until he had the first line, the beginning. An eight. Half the sixty-four hexagrams eliminated already. He divided the stalks and obtained the second line. Soon, being so expert, he had all six lines; the hexagram lay before him, and he did not need to identify it by the chart. He could recognize it as Hexagram Fifteen. Ch'ien. Modesty. Ah. The low will be raised up, the high brought down, powerful families humbled; he did not have to refer to the text — he knew it by heart. A good omen. The oracle was giving him favorable council.

And yet he was a bit disappointed. There was something fatuous about Hexagram Fifteen. Too goody-goody. Naturally he should be modest. Perhaps there was an idea in it, however. After all, he had no power over old W-M. He could not compel him to take him back. All he could do was adopt the point of view of Hexagram Fifteen; this was that sort of moment, when one had to petition, to hope, to await with faith. Heaven in its time would raise him up to his old job or perhaps even to something better.

He had no lines to read, no nines or sixes; it was static. So he was through. It did not move into a second hexagram.

A new question, then. Setting himself, he said aloud, 'Will I ever see Juliana again?'

That was his wife. Or rather his ex-wife. Juliana had divorced him a year ago, and he had not seen her in months; in fact he did not even know where she lived. Evidently she had left San Francisco. Perhaps even the PSA. Either their mutual friends had not heard from her or they were not telling him.

Busily he maneuvered the yarrow stalks, his eyes fixed on the tallies. How many times he had asked about Juliana, one question or another? Here came the hexagram, brought forth by the passive chance workings of the vegetable stalks. Random, and yet rooted in the moment in which he lived, in which his life was bound up with all other lives and particles in the universe. The necessary hexagram picturing in its pattern of broken and unbroken lines the situation. He, Juliana, the factory on Gough Street, the Trade Missions that ruled, the exploration of the planets, the billion chemical heaps in Africa that were now not even corpses, the aspirations of the thousands around him in the shanty warrens of San Francisco, the mad creatures in Berlin with their calm faces and manic plans — all connected in this moment of casting the yarrow stalks to select the exact wisdom appropriate in a book begun in the thirtieth century B.C. A book created by the sages of China over a period of five thousand years, winnowed, perfected, that superb cosmology and science — codified before Europe had even learned to do long division.

The hexagram. His heart dropped. Forty-four. Kou. Coming to Meet. Its sobering judgment. The maiden is powerful. One should not marry such a maiden. Again he had gotten it in connection with Juliana.

Oy vey, he thought, settling back. So she was wrong for me; I know that. I didn't ask that. Why does the oracle have to remind me? A bad fate for me, to have met her and been in love — be in love — with her.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

osirisisdead posted:

#!/usr/bin/perl
# method for generating random i ching hexagrams at http://deoxy.org/iching

# define the lines
%lines = (
6 => '-- x --', # yin changing to yang
7 => '-------', # yang
8 => '-- --', # yin
9 => '---o---', # yang changing to yin
);

# define the coin
@coin = qw(2 3);

# toss 3 coins 6 times
for (1..6) {
$a = @coin[rand @coin];
$b = @coin[rand @coin];
$c = @coin[rand @coin];

# add the results
$line = $a + $b + $c;

# put result in a list, bottom line first
push @lines, $line;
}

# reverse the list so top line is first and print each line
print "$lines{$_}\n" for reverse @lines;

this is good stuff man

also 5'd for perl code in GBS :getin:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i thin kyou should cast your hexagrams with yarrow stalks instead. the counting of the stalks gives you time to reflect on the issue, and distracts your conscious mind from overintellectualizing. short cutting this drawn out process with coins destroys the effectiveness of a positive self hypnosis. the repetition of the task is therapeutic, and the actual hexagram is incidental; it allows you to take all that unconscious processing and point it at something relatively arbitrary, that acts as a bottleneck where your unconscious extrudes itself into the conscious; suddenly your realization has shape, and you have made tangible process on the issue at hand, without especial or directed effort.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

nah man I know it's not yes/no I mean it more like should I go back to what I been doing, try to reconnect, or do something else

just be like hey what should he do or consider for new year's

also I literally only drink one of this, it's an old bottle that they literally stopped making years ago and it will never be made again. So I like to drink one on new years and it'll be exhausted with the passage of time like all things.

I got Hexagram 15 - INNOCENCE:

I have my assumptions about what it means in terms of your plans for tomorrow, but ultimately everyone should understand the oracle for themselves.
Good luck!

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

nomadologique posted:

i thin kyou should cast your hexagrams with yarrow stalks instead. the counting of the stalks gives you time to reflect on the issue, and distracts your conscious mind from overintellectualizing. short cutting this drawn out process with coins destroys the effectiveness of a positive self hypnosis. the repetition of the task is therapeutic, and the actual hexagram is incidental; it allows you to take all that unconscious processing and point it at something relatively arbitrary, that acts as a bottleneck where your unconscious extrudes itself into the conscious; suddenly your realization has shape, and you have made tangible process on the issue at hand, without especial or directed effort.

This is a very good suggestion and a very good way to look at it from a psychological perspective, but I'm just starting out so I need some time to get familiar with the method.
If I'm still interested in it a few months from now, I'll probably order it online.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I need more vids of classy looking girls doing semi solid shits in the street

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BgRdMchne posted:

Has anyone itt read Sun Tzu's the Art of War? It's really good.

if you're a tryhard businessman i guess, yeah

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Good news (for me)!
I asked the oracle what Iwill gain from the NYE's event, how IU should act, what should I do etc. The answer is HEXAGRAM I:

Slam dunk!

*puts on shades, takes off towards the sunset*

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
You'd think that Ching means Change and I means book wouldn't you, but actually its the other way around

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

The Saurus posted:

You'd think that Ching means Change and I means book wouldn't you, but actually its the other way around

Yeah, the etymology of the name is quite interesting.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

H.H posted:

Yeah, the etymology of the name is quite interesting.

Do go on :allears:

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching#The_classic:_I_Ching

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

H.H posted:

Good news (for me)!
I asked the oracle what Iwill gain from the NYE's event, how IU should act, what should I do etc. The answer is HEXAGRAM I:

Slam dunk!

*puts on shades, takes off towards the sunset*

I got this when I asked it if I would get a job lately (can't remember the exact question, there's an art to that)

I did!

Hell yeah. This ancient mystical poo poo works when you cast the universe's direction / get a bit high and ask it poo poo.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

:cool:::hf::cool:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I Dad

Therefore, so what

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Mr.Tophat posted:

I Dad

Therefore, so what

I read only that post and was sure you dadded me :lol:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

H.H posted:

I read only that post and was sure you dadded me :lol:

If I was going to, I would have daddened you and sent you a confession that I had done so for extra panache. :wotwot:

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

:golfclap:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i ching, you ching, we all ching for ice cream

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Drop
Dat
Ching

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

dad gay. so what posted:

I don't think chinese people would eat ice cream they are very afraid of cold things murdering them from within their stomachs

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Don't spend too much time dwelling on this hoodoo, a mind is a terrible ching to waste.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

you stupid loving rear end in a top hat this was the second post, don't steal original works.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/k9vkoDkeaVM?t=1m25s

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I don't want
Anybody else
When I Ching about you
I touch myself

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Srspost ignoring the whole fortune telling aspect there's a lot of good advice in some translations in how to not be a total shitlord

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the oracles give me good advice but it never seems to do any good.

anyway jung was intrested in it http://www.iging.com/intro/foreword.htm

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ching chong bing bong

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

I had a funny and interesting reading today. We walked a friend we met in Prague to the bus terminal, and I let her ask the oracle a question about her trip back: how will it be like, what will she gain from it etc.

She got hexagram 12: WAITING

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
chinese culture is total poo poo

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
hmmmmm i read this whole thread and I'm still not 100% on what a ching is but the name seems kinda racist?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

I Ching is the collected work incorporating the rules and results for this method of divination.

It's a Chinese name that means "the first classic\canon", as in the 1st classical book of this sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Does anyone want a reading?

• Locked thread