Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's just it -- he does give it all he has but he has very little to give. The roles he plays are great roles, as in they already do the job for him. He's rarely bad as such because he gets good parts. Tell me one single role DiCaprio has ever done (aside from Gilbert Grape, I'll give him that) that would not have been improved by another actor. Is there any other role he has played that only he could have played?

iSheep posted:

I agree with this post. I do not understand the internet circlejerk for Leo to get "His Oscar".

And also want to add an interview on NPR I listened to that the composer , Ryuichi Sakamoto, had throat cancer that he has beat. But the music is a reflection of how the cancer took the life out of him, as he used to work looooong days and now he is reduced down to 8 hour stints before he has to stop from exhaustion.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/22/460711062/in-the-revenant-a-return-from-deaths-door-onscreen-and-off

I thought it was interesting.
This is really cool and makes me appreciate the score even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stare-Out posted:

Tell me one single role DiCaprio has ever done (aside from Gilbert Grape, I'll give him that) that would not have been improved by another actor.

Josh in Critters 3.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stare-Out posted:

That's just it -- he does give it all he has but he has very little to give. The roles he plays are great roles, as in they already do the job for him. He's rarely bad as such because he gets good parts. Tell me one single role DiCaprio has ever done (aside from Gilbert Grape, I'll give him that) that would not have been improved by another actor. Is there any other role he has played that only he could have played?

He would've improved Goodfellas if he was old enough at the time.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

computer parts posted:

He would've improved Goodfellas if he was old enough at the time.
Which role?

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
you can tell he's a good actor by how much he squeals and spits

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Improve... Goodfellas...?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
He would've stirred that tomata' sauce real good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Loved this. It's gorgeous, visceral, intense and absolutely riveting. The acting is superb, especially by Hardy. I think this is Iñárritu's best movie.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It was ok, not great. I was waiting for the Star Wars bit the whole time and lo and behold.......

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Saw this last night.

It was pretty good. I wouldn't call it great. The fight with the bear was well done, pretty much exactly how I imagined it when reading the book. I get why they made Leo have a son (So you would hate Hardy more then he inevitably kills him), but I don't think that it was necessary. I wish they spent more time on the first grueling hours after Glass is abandoned and is fighting for his life inch by inch .

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2016

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

caiman posted:

Loved this. It's gorgeous, visceral, intense and absolutely riveting. The acting is superb, especially by Hardy. I think this is Iñárritu's best movie.

quote:

While weather undeniably was a huge obstacle, several crewmembers say a threshold issue was a failure to understand, as one puts it, "what a period film outdoors on this scale was really going to cost." Given cinematographer Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki's decision only to use natural light, there was a short window each day when the production could film. Inarritu is making extensive use of the tracking-shot technique that he deployed to dazzling effect in Birdman, so changes in weather could mean trouble. "It's 4 o'clock, and you've got an hour and a half of daylight, and it's not the light he wants to shoot in," says a crewmember. "If you want to seamlessly stitch [the footage] together, it's not going to match."

What's not to like about this movie? The action scenes/everything are also better than that cowboy Agatha Christie drama.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

The parts before the bear attack and the battle scenes in general kind of feel like Inarritu's audition for a Blood Meridian movie.

Yes please.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Never read book or followed the process of it being made but this is easily my favorite movie of the last few years. Pretty much every single thought I had got subverted. At first I thought Fitzgerald and Glass were going to be heading towards being bros all the way up until he killed the son, then I thought Fitz was going to kill the kid that came with him to cover it up, then I thought FItz was going to turn a new leaf over guilt, then I thought Glass saving the woman was going to lead to a tear jerker moment where she yells NO DON'T KILL HIM HE SAVED ME! Nope, all that got you was a passing indifference.

Only complaint was that it's hard to understand a lot of the dialogue. Definitely going to rewatch a few times with subtitles.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

osietra posted:

What's not to like about this movie? The action scenes/everything are also better than that cowboy Agatha Christie drama.

The blurb you quoted reminds me of a specific element I especially loved: the exquisite camera work. Man, the more I think about this movie the more I absolutely adore it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hey, it's ya boy Leo. Watch me emerge from this horse corpse vagina, born into a new man.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Loved this movie. Also think it has the best cinematography of the year, and that's coming from someone who loved Deakins' work on Sicario.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Leo just lacks the natural charisma that the best actors have. When you watch him, you always feel that he feels a camera is on him. Also like the other posters said, he puts himself in really good roles. He's in really good movies but he's not really good in movies. How many times have you seen a movie because he's in it?

Basically he wouldn't have a career if River Phoenix didn't die.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah, Dicaprio has always been enjoyable to watch, but he never disappears into his roles. When Tom Hardy's onscreen it's "Wow this half-scalped fucker is MEAN," but when Dicaprio's onscreen it's "Leo looks neat with that beard."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
I've been in DiCaprio's corner since around The Departed but I feel like if you're still not seeing what makes him a good actor after The Wolf of Wall Street you're actively trying not to.

as for how he can't disappear into his roles like Tom Hardy does, well Leo's been one of the most famous actors on the planet since roughly 1997 whereas Hardy's a character actor whose breakout role was in a grubby little indie flick in 2008.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh I think he's a good actor just not a great one. I enjoy watching him a lot.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Leo perhaps suffers from overexposure at this point. Everyone has seen all of his movies because they're all popular, so everyone has seen his entire range as an actor.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dicaprio is great in Catch Me if You Can, Inception, and Departed. Basically, when great directors work with him, he can 'disappear' more into the role because they bring everything else out more. Without that, he's too obviously "acting" in many of his roles.

(I liked him a ton in this as well)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation

speshl guy posted:

Leo perhaps suffers from overexposure at this point. Everyone has seen all of his movies because they're all popular, so everyone has seen his entire range as an actor.

that feels like a fair assessment.

i definitely think he deserved the oscar over McConnaughey, though maybe not over Ejiofor. it was too amoral of a performance to win over those two in that year, though.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

KidVanguard posted:

Basically he wouldn't have a career if River Phoenix didn't die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mLIdLZZeI

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Departed Leo was just him employing his "any strong emotion means I must scream" method. I like him alright, like I said, he's a blank slate so his characters are always super easy to relate to but he never plays the role, he plays Leo playing the role. That's the problem I have with him.

Anyway, I saw this today and it's my favorite film of the year, just ahead of Sicario. It's stark, still, looks loving gorgeous, it takes its time perfectly, Leo is serviceable as usual in it and Hardy kills it dead. I was drawn in from the start and it didn't let go until the credits were rolling. Great movie.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

caiman posted:

The blurb you quoted reminds me of a specific element I especially loved: the exquisite camera work. Man, the more I think about this movie the more I absolutely adore it.
It would pretty much win best picture Oscar, if it wasn't for JJ Abrams masterwork.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've been in DiCaprio's corner since around The Departed but I feel like if you're still not seeing what makes him a good actor after The Wolf of Wall Street you're actively trying not to.

as for how he can't disappear into his roles like Tom Hardy does, well Leo's been one of the most famous actors on the planet since roughly 1997 whereas Hardy's a character actor whose breakout role was in a grubby little indie flick in 2008.

That millionaire playboy sure is great at being a millionaire playboy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation

Judakel posted:

That millionaire playboy sure is great at being a millionaire playboy.

Pretty much, yeah. Is your argument that it's not acting because Leo knows what it's like to have money?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Is your argument that it's not acting because Leo knows what it's like to have money?

My argument is that he is not a good actor. And furthermore

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Stare-Out posted:

No one could possibly have been as perfect as The Kid in The Quick and the Dead. Probably no other 16 year old looking motherfucker in history could credibly bed prime Sharon Stone and obliviously butt heads with supervillain Gene Hackman while also being utterly punchable AND adorable

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's actually true.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation

DeimosRising posted:

No one could possibly have been as perfect as The Kid in The Quick and the Dead. Probably no other 16 year old looking motherfucker in history could credibly bed prime Sharon Stone and obliviously butt heads with supervillain Gene Hackman while also being utterly punchable AND adorable

i always forget about that one for some reason, it's a rad performance.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this movie did a great job at making me feel really loving cold. Also I thought dicaprio did a great job in it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DeimosRising posted:

Ah yes, that masterpiece of fine acting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

Quick and the Dead owns you loving pleb.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Judakel posted:

"Fine acting " in the bougie "fine art" sense that you mean it would be wholly out of place in a Sam Raimi Western but hey man, don't let me distract you from being a joyless prick all the time

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DeimosRising posted:

"Fine acting " in the bougie "fine art" sense that you mean it would be wholly out of place in a Sam Raimi Western but hey man, don't let me distract you from being a joyless prick all the time

He is not particularly good in that film. I would have enjoyed a bit more creative a choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:agreed:

e: thing about Tom Hardy is that he keeps not getting roles as good as Bronson. I mean Bronson is still his best film, you know?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Blue Ruin was a much better movie and it didn't require filming for 8 months in horrendous conditions. That CGI bear was awful and the movie needed to be edited to be way shorter. On the other hand, the opening was dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dubplate Fire posted:

Blue Ruin was a much better movie and it didn't require filming for 8 months in horrendous conditions. That CGI bear was awful and the movie needed to be edited to be way shorter. On the other hand, the opening was dope.

:stare: I felt like the bear scene was one of the greatest technical achievements I've ever seen in a movie.

• Locked thread