Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Pet Rock Band posted:

The Aviator, Wolf of Wall Street, maybe Blood Diamond
Here's Leo as Howard Hughes, here's Leo as a skeevy stock broker, here's Leo as a South African smuggler etc. He has no range at all and is basically a blank slate, but bless him he tries so hard. Coupling him with someone like Hardy is just going to emphasize how much range Hardy has compared to DiCaprio's utter lack of it. That said, this movie looks sweet as gently caress and the poster is gorgeous. They released the score digitally a couple of days ago and it's pretty atmospheric if a bit lacking on its own, I'm sure it'll work great with the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's just it -- he does give it all he has but he has very little to give. The roles he plays are great roles, as in they already do the job for him. He's rarely bad as such because he gets good parts. Tell me one single role DiCaprio has ever done (aside from Gilbert Grape, I'll give him that) that would not have been improved by another actor. Is there any other role he has played that only he could have played?

iSheep posted:

I agree with this post. I do not understand the internet circlejerk for Leo to get "His Oscar".

And also want to add an interview on NPR I listened to that the composer , Ryuichi Sakamoto, had throat cancer that he has beat. But the music is a reflection of how the cancer took the life out of him, as he used to work looooong days and now he is reduced down to 8 hour stints before he has to stop from exhaustion.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/22/460711062/in-the-revenant-a-return-from-deaths-door-onscreen-and-off

I thought it was interesting.
This is really cool and makes me appreciate the score even more.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

computer parts posted:

He would've improved Goodfellas if he was old enough at the time.
Which role?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Departed Leo was just him employing his "any strong emotion means I must scream" method. I like him alright, like I said, he's a blank slate so his characters are always super easy to relate to but he never plays the role, he plays Leo playing the role. That's the problem I have with him.

Anyway, I saw this today and it's my favorite film of the year, just ahead of Sicario. It's stark, still, looks loving gorgeous, it takes its time perfectly, Leo is serviceable as usual in it and Hardy kills it dead. I was drawn in from the start and it didn't let go until the credits were rolling. Great movie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There were a couple of moments when I found the CGI bear looking like a CGI bear but I think it's only because I was really scrutinizing it in the same way I scrutinize anything I know to be CG. Overall and for the effect it was meant to create it worked fantastically well, I thought, and felt like a real bear enough for me to remain immersed in the movie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

I dunno, I thought Sicario sucked too. Mad Max and Star Wars were the only movies I liked this year. Maybe I am just getting jaded.

edit: I liked Hateful Eight too...
You're not jaded necessarily, liking things other people don't like and vice versa is all well and fine. :hfive:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ehud posted:

Either the bear or Richard Parker, the tiger from Life of Pi
That still looks pretty drat real, but I think in case of the bear in The Revenant it was the single most stand-out piece of digital special effects in the entire movie so it stood out the most. The Life of Pi tiger you got used to pretty quickly and it was on screen for most of the movie too. Overall I think the Revenant bear looks about as real as they could've possibly made it and it still looks drat good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Having spent time with an actual bear and seen actual bear attacks, that bear was dead on. Seeing it do that weird two-paw pounce on Leo was a creepily accurate detail. That whole scene ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He's been doing good movies for a while now. Frank, Dredd, Calvary and such.

• Locked thread