Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had a guy buy something from me recently and "pay" using an eCheck that bounced, then when I waited nearly a loving week for it to clear it bounced a second time. So after messaging him and being too polite about it I canceled and returned the useless eCheck and blocked him from bidding, then it turned out the guy had been doing this for dozens of auctions within a two-week period. And the funniest part was that he was getting flooded with positive feedbacks saying what a deadbeat he was, which didn't matter because they were still positive feedback. I messaged eBay telling them about it, I assume others did too and he eventually got banned. I'm actually surprised any action was taken against him at all.

Your system is broken if somebody could go on in perpetuity being a piece-of-poo poo buyer who has 200 positive feedback that's all stuff like "BUYER IS A LOWLIFE SCAMMER" and "THIS GUY WILL RIP YOU OFF".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You don't get it man, that one cart has two games on it. You're getting two entire games for the price of two, but they're on the same cart. Think of the time you save, and that shelf space!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Meta Ridley posted:

Worked out for you in the end, but this is why I never keep a balance on Paypal. As soon as a transaction clears I take it out. If anything happens, ebay/paypal will put your account at a negative balance and demand you put money in it to bring it to 0, but they can't actually force you to or take it from a bank account without your permission. The worst they can do is close your account and ban you from Paypal. They will also call you and pretend to be a collection agency to try to get the money back, but they are unable to actually put anything negative on your credit report, it is illegal for them to do that because of the weird type of account Paypal is. Creating new "Verified Paypal" accounts is easy too if you know a couple tricks.

Really? I thought they actually could take money directly from your account if a buyer files a claim, that's loving hilarious. I always take my money straight out of PayPal too after paying the shipping, but I didn't know they were powerless if you did that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I sell on Ebay as a part of my job. A lot of people are douches or don't understand what they're buying. Some dude bought an iPhone 5c and complained that the item was not genuine because Verizon didn't have sim trays. Like wtf? And I have to refund those assholes because consistently Ebay will side with them pretty much regardless. Some dude is returning his phone because the flash is too bright, and therefore defective. You gently caress asses!

PS if anyone knows better places to sell electronics online id appreciate the intel

Use Amazon for selling electronics or any kind of "media" like CDs, blu ray, DVDs, books, etc. Recently I tried to sell a Wacom tablet I wasn't using, started it at $45 on eBay and there was little interest for a few days until some fucker said he'd buy it for 50 and then flaked out when I actually changed it to a fixed-price at 50. I set it for best offers, and got $25 and $30, so eventually I said "gently caress it" and pulled the auction to list it on Amazon at $55.

Within two hours somebody bought it, and I'd waited like five days on eBay with no real interest apart from people trying to offer me around half of what I was asking.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Also don't be mad at people re-selling poo poo for ridiculous prices, be mad at the people buying at those prices.

The problem most people have with resellers is that they don't actually "sell" anything at those ridiculous prices, they just set stupid prices that nobody pays and then the items sit there forever unbought and they never budge. They're taking items out of circulation and holding them for a ransom and hoping people will want the thing bad enough to eventually cave.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah Amazon is not without its own share of bullshit. I sold my Gamecube on the marketplace and they credited me maybe half of what the actual price of shipping turned out to be, so something I sold for $20 actually wound up netting me 5 dollars after their fees. And there is zero flexibility, you can't set a price for shipping it's based on whatever is in their database as the advertised weight.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Oh ya ebay poo poo: their promotionals are shady as gently caress and have hilariously tiny time windows (as if being a seller didnt suck enough).

Around Christmas time last year they sent out a newsletter that basically said they'd give you eBay credit back if you sold the "top-selling items" of that season, basically implying that you should go out and buy up all the hot toys and then sell them at a mark-up in order to make eBay a ton of money on commission.

As for shady buyers, the closest I came was when I sold my iPad 2 and I had two 0-feedback bidders in a bidding war who ran it up well past the market value. Both of them had connections to a Seattle Goodwill, one had a feedback from them and the other was a member of the Seattle Goodwill eBay "group". I contacted eBay to ask for advice and they said to go ahead and cancel their bids since it was obvious that it was a scam of some kind. Maybe I've been lucky but eBay's Indian outsourced customer service does seem to be friendly and helpful as long as you catch a scammer before they get ahold of your item. If you've already completed the transaction you may be hosed though.

e: Also the two 0-feedback bidders conveniently received feedback on the day they registered from suspicious sources, including that Seattle Goodwill. Lesson learned: Don't ever try to sell your Apple products on eBay. Or anywhere else for that matter.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 2, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Here's an auction for MegaMan for the NES. It's in 'fair' condition

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231797137264

Seems fair

From what I'm seeing there, I wouldn't be surprised if "cartridge only" is literal and there's not even a circuit board inside what's left of the cart.

vv Well they do say that "it works", and I guess it does work as a drink coaster if you're so inclined.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 4, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

He's right, but only because I don't go into Best Buy/Future Shop at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

In other lovely online retailer news, Amazon now apparently requires you to be a "professional seller" in order to list DVDs or Blu-Ray on the marketplace. I'm sure they had their customer's best interests in mind and weren't doing it to protect their own asses, to keep from having to resolve disputes by loving morons who didn't realize they weren't buying "from" Amazon, or to drive out competition for their own used media racket.

But good news, you don't need to be a professional seller to give Amazon an out-of-print DVD boxed set for $2.55 that they'll list for $100!

VV Great but it sucks for those of us who handle our poo poo with kid gloves and just want to sell it off and buy digital or blu ray, and want to take advantage of Amazon's inflated price gouging.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread