Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
eBay's fees are stupid and lovely now and it's not really worth selling anything for cheap anymore because the margins are so thin that they get blown away by the fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Do you get charged for auctions that no one bids on? I assume not because of all these loving stupid auctions. Seems like a 10% fee of your listing price if no one bids would clean things up. I guess you could have a friend bid, but you'd still lose out on fees.

You get charged a listing fee unless you pay eBay monthly for a premium seller account or whatever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

How I use Ebay:

Thinking of buying something
Go on Amazon, read the reviews and item description and decide what to buy
Price on Amazon is X plus $5 to $10 shipping
Go to Ebay and search for item
Price on Ebay is $5 to $20 cheaper than on Amazon, and with free shipping
Buy it on Ebay
Review the product on Amazon sometimes, and then get nasty comments by people saying I'm lying because it doesn't say I bought it on Amazon.

It's even better if you find a used book you want on Ebay, because Amazon and that whole "used book shipping takes 20-60 days for the same low price of $4" thing is dumb and it's either free 5 day shipping or a low price to get the book quickly from Ebay.

The only thing Amazon is good for for me is buying directly from Amazon and needing to return a purchase. I bought something and wanted to return it and they told me to take it to UPS or whatever. I show up with just the product in the original packaging, wanting to put it in a bigger box to protect it for the return. The UPS guy just said "You wanna send that to Amazon?" I said yes and he printed a label, took the product from me, stuck the label on it, and threw it in a bin. No protection or tape to even seal the original packaging. It felt sketchy as hell, but I could tell he dealt with this a lot. A week later I got my money back.

edit:

I do about 70% of my clothes shopping in thrift stores and I see a lot of the same people shopping them (all of the local ones). I've talked to two separate women, and overheard another, whose entire income is just going to thrift stores for 2-5 hours and examining all of the clothes and then buying the trendy or vintage or weird stuff and selling it online. The one I talked to said she makes legit bank off the stuff and usually gets 3-6X the price she bought it for, and sometimes more. She said she goes about 3-4 times per week, sun up to sun down in a few shops in the day, just patiently scouring and examining clothes and then the rest of the time dealing with orders online.

Two of the women were in their 40s, one girl was a college girl but not a hipster. Etsy has made this extremely easy for a lot of young people to sell this poo poo online. They just need the word "vintage" and they're making bank.

I would do this if I had any kind of idea what sells well on Etsy.

I should maybe learn though, there's tons of good thrift and consignment stores where I am.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you're 30 and let a 60 year old yank something out your hands c'mon son

:synpa:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the problem is that you look like the type of person a 60 year old woman decides she can safely yank a box away from with no reprisal

it's not about what you'll do after the fact, it's that you didn't mean mug the gently caress out of her when she was stepping up to you

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

The problem most people have with resellers is that they don't actually "sell" anything at those ridiculous prices, they just set stupid prices that nobody pays and then the items sit there forever unbought and they never budge. They're taking items out of circulation and holding them for a ransom and hoping people will want the thing bad enough to eventually cave.

Yeah.

There's so many listings that will just never sell and it's cluttering everything. It's like a badly run auction house in an MMO but eBay doesn't give a poo poo because they're either getting listing fees or the monthly $ from premium sellers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

My biggest gripe about Goodwills is the power given to the pricers. I've talked about it with employees after noticing a big price jump and they said that some of the retarded prices on things depend on who is working that day, as they have a regular price book they follow, and everything that looks like it's worth something will be looked up online before being priced.
The store I like the most got really bad after they let one lady take over pricing on non-clothing items. They told me that she has a giant pile of price stickers and she's a fanatic about making well past a daily numbers goal, so poo poo that should be 99 cents is priced at $4.99 so she can cheat on the numbers. I stopped buying non-clothes there until the people pricing clothes took this tactic as well and clothes prices almost doubled overnight. Now if I am near there I will go every couple months just to poke around.

Meanwhile the Goodwill down the street from me has people that give no fucks pricing it and trying to get it all out of the door because the store is too small, and I get absurdly low prices on a ton of brand new poo poo that rich college kids dump off there.

I love when people who have never taken econ 101 or a business class manage poo poo.

"I'll price this at 5x what it should be and make 5x the money! BRILLIANT!"
*sales decrease*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: gently caress sorry

• Locked thread