Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i flushed money down the toilet for this garbage where is my completed game it's been like a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

okay well looking forward to the inevitable buggy alpha followed by a buggy release in 2025 before the game dies a silent F2P death

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i paid like a thousand where the gently caress is my completed mmo

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
3 years later where the gently caress is my mmo or anything resembling it?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
star citizen, but medieval and blockchain

still no real game

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Zero posted:

so youre volunteering to start the official goon guild right

hello blazing zero

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro posted:

Kinda?

Like it's certainly on the longer end of development cycles. But given the funding model and the impact it has on project scope the two get balanced out. It's not like in traditional dev-publisher funding model where you start with a larger scope, cut it down to fit the publisher budget, and then if you're going over-budget ask for additional funds from the publisher or simply cut the scope even more to release on time. Rather the reverse: the more people buy into the game, the more runway they have, the more features they can develop, the larger scope becomes. But 5 years from concept to beta isn't strictly a black mark for an MMO.

That being said, I haven't actually played the game. At the end of the day, "beta" doesn't mean anything anymore in gaming aside from being synonymous with "unfinished".

I've backed thousands of various things, I have worked in the games, and I like sandboxes so much I'm happily willing to be scammed for them and throw money at every single (non-obvious scam) ones that come out. I play literal garbage games and have plenty of experience with them.

The black mark here isn't 5 years from concept to beta, I would argue that there's a ton more things in play:

- Unity, while AFAIK there is no reasonably large MMO built with this so it's all lesson learning and reinventing the wheel, wasting more time
- They keep doing weird stuff like moving from building a mmo to licencing out their "new game engine toolchain to save you time when building your own MMO"
- They keep pausing development to go write crap articles for making another round of "ultra super ruby diamond supporter founder's children but still founder pack" every other week
- "ultra super ruby diamond supporter founder's children but still founder pack"
- It took something like 3 years to have a blank, featureless world you can walk in, complete with bad netcode
- It's not even a crowdfunded game anymore, they've gone and taken traditional dev-publisher money, which outnumbers pledged crowdfunding money significantly
- A lot of odd things they've "unlocked" or "promised" haven't materialised, like translating the site into additional languages being two separate stretch goals, neither of which were done
- It's not beta yet

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is that FPS counter impacted by recording software or is that game actually running at 12 FPS in some instances? I hate to be a tech snob, but that is absolutely unacceptable in 2020.

How are they going to resolve this issue before release? I have seen games increase by 10 FPS on average from beta to release, but I've never seen a game go from 12 FPS to 40+ FPS.

I had a fairly difficult time getting above 25 FPS on an empty map on a 5700XT and Quadro P5000.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Did tree of life really die if it was never alive in the first place

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Anasurimbur posted:

So is this worth picking up the 50-70 dollar packs just to play in the beta, or hold off for now and wait / try to get into their invite listings instead?

The concept of the multiple worlds + your own instance / world sounds interesting but it also sounds like from others the game isn't that far along at the moment.

I'm getting sub-20 FPS on a 2080TI, so I'm not really sure $70 will be worth it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I can think about is how the game barely meets the 'not a scam definition'.

It's like.. a bunch of low poly, <10 FPS, empty world to walk around? There is barely a game engine, much less a game.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
By continuing to sell more packs and having more 'beta rounds'

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like this entire game is still teetering on the "is it a scam" line, because for all the things they promised (and the dozen "most anticipated mmo 2015" award logos on their page + continual 'founders pack sign up for alpha now!!') it's still more or less an empty Unity demo with no actual content

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

insider posted:

Feel weird coming into this thread to defend it as I really don't want to, but really? You can fight other groups of people, take over forts, etc. That is the content. This isn't a theme park mmo.

I loving love sandboxes and I hate themeparks, but there are barely any other groups of people, the game runs terribly on even the most modern hardware, for all intents and purposes it feels like tech demo quality, the pretty much "default for these things" font also doesn't really help it. It does not feel like it's evolved any moving from alpha to beta. The "campaigns" barely are a thing, it's effectively just scheduled fireball and slapfights with not much else in between.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why they didn't just make a high-resolution high quality textured Wurm Online

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
this game is about as ready for launch as eq landmark was equivalent to the final release of eq next

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Orc Priest posted:

This game's kickstarter ended over 6 years ago now. Might as well release it and hope a few diehards will fund the rest of development, I guess.

They've been continually selling 'more founders packs' on their own store after the KS ended, and spamming the poo poo out of existing backers to upgrade on their store lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
they have their own launcher, shop, and (very broken) account system

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
they sure made sure the cash shop was ready though https://crowfall.com/en-US/store

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just got the launch email. I don't own the retail game, as a Kickstarter backer.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
downloaded it just to sniff network traffic

campaign population key:

code:
"Gods Reach US East 1"
"Gods Reach US West 1"
"Gods Reach EU 1"
"Gods Reach Australia 1"
"Gods Reach Brazil 1"
"Gods Reach US East 2"
"Gods Reach US East 3"
"Gods Reach US East 4"
"Gods Reach US West 2"
"Gods Reach EU 2"
"Gods Reach EU 3"
there have been some very odd backend tech design decisions in this game.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 9, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
there's a separate user count at the root that's around 3000, but all the campaign populations added togther don't get near that amount (3k-3.5k), adding all the kingdom populations, all of which are 0 or 1, also doesn't get near that, so i'm curious what it is.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
there is no api lol. I will wireshark later and see what's there though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Anias posted:

Maybe, although never underestimate MMO devs ability to DDOS themselves.

For whatever bizarre reason, a lot of their data is stored (and accessed via HTTPS requests) on some third party (https://www.gamasutra.com/contractors/contractor_display.php?contractor_id=8559)