Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's easy to miss, but you got an extra chug of Estus during the fight against Taurus, with a subtle glow and sound effect to go with it. If I recall correctly, it took a loooooong time for the community to confirm what caused that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Paul.Power posted:

There's always the pretend to be an enemy option.

Despite (or maybe because of) being such dour and depressing games, Souls games are a superb platform for player-generated comedy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I tend to prefer the kite shields that Andre sells to the other "I plan to actually block a bunch with this" options reasonably available at this point in the game. For just one weight unit more than the heater shield you get 3-4 more stability and the same resists.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TimNeilson posted:

Yeah, the kite shields are good. I like to try to pick up a balder shield around this point, it's got pretty good stability and looks awesome to boot. Only problem is you have to farm a bit for it, but I usually wind up doing a little of that anyway to buy shards so it winds up not being too big a deal.
Balder shield starts with much better stability, but doesn't upgrade as well and has worse non-physical resists. Plus you know what happens if you try and farm for one on a non-dex character: 10 Balder Side Swords.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Looks like it's time to invest those souls with Andre and get yourself a weapon that does actual damage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I have a dumb personal theory that some of the NPCs the player encounters are meant to reflect player archetypes.

Solaire is the type who is way too into RPing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Veloxyll posted:

I don't recall any other enemy in the game having such a marked resist/vulnerability.
I think skeletons in general are weak to strike and resistant to thrust (and extremely resistant to crits from thrust weapons). The stone knights are definitely the most prominent example of damage type mattering in DS1, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also as I said I personally still think Solaire is the most likely candidate who we meet to be the Firstborn.

But that's still much less likely than "we never met the Firstborn, they are not a character in the final game."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ZeeToo posted:

Near as I can tell, the Capra Demon fight is about a five minute walk followed by about ten seconds of trying to wrestle with the camera to let me... just plain act at all, then start over. Capra Demon seems happy to deal half my health through my shield, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Upgrade your shield or practice using your roll i-frames. A +5 kite shield should be able to absorb his hits.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm kinda hoping that when Vicas finishes this LP, he'll cap it off with a highlight reel of a Master Key/glass-cannon sorcerer run to demonstrate just how differently the game can be played.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lizard Wizard posted:

For the record, the slimes' physical defense is a whopping 1500.

Then we can try and argue over the exact implications of that, because as far as I know no one has ever been able to derive the exact damage formula, only approximations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Upper Blighttown: the best-designed level that I never go through except when I absolutely need to grab certain items, and even then I take the other approach.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did you not pick up the pyromancer's set? I don't think I see it in your armor list and as far as I can tell you seemed to avoid/blow by the corner it's in.

I prefer the left-side approach to Quelaag's lair. If you approach it right you won't run into any of the boulder guys and there isn't a cragspider sitting there in the middle of the muck.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TimNeilson posted:

E: where even are all the dragon scales? The only ones I can think of that are guaranteed at the moment are the two hydras and the one in the blighttown arena. And maybe one in the duke's archives? Not sure about that though.

Double edit: oh and there's the two undead dragons, I forgot about them
There are a bunch in an area we could have gone to already, but haven't.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

double nine posted:

Also I don't particularly care for the drake sword, I just wondered how universally uninteresting it is. Though I have to wonder if it's feasible as an anti-twink strategy - dress up in newbie attire complete with drake sword and proceed to whip their rear end with a +5. Sadly it appears to not be worth the effort.

Something similar has been done.

Edit: Shows a popular PvP zone we haven't seen yet.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Golbez posted:

How do they have so many souls? Even if you spammed the dupe trick for days straight you wouldn't get that. Are there cheats that just directly give you a poo poo ton of souls? And how can someone who is tired of grinding poo poo and has played through a bunch already partake in such bounty?
PvP kills of high level hosts can drop hundreds of thousands of souls a pop. Even at just 50k souls per kill, 20 wins will give you a million souls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Egghead has a couple other aspects to it. It tanks your fire resistance, halves the amount of souls you receive from kills (because the egg is absorbing the other half), and makes you unable to use certain items we haven't seen yet. After the egg absorbs 100k souls, it grows larger and your kick is replaced by a larva shooting partway out of the egg and biting whatever is right in front of you. Sadly, this doesn't spread the infection.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Stray Demon can be cheesed pretty hard with a bleed weapon.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Golbez posted:

Speaking of feeding him: It seems generally useless, except for souls. No matter the size of the soul you feed him, you get the same number of souls, 500. So if you feed him the smallest ones, worth 200 and 400 souls, you actually get a profit.

Also, there's some interesting storytelling in what items get more souls, but I'll leave that to our sherpa. :)

double nine posted:

Except for a certain boss soul (two, actually) who he'll pay a staggering 1 soul for. I don't think he likes those people.

FicusArt posted:

He pays more for some boss souls than they're worth from consuming, namely Moonlight Butterfly, Gwyn, Priscilla and Quelaag

What Frampt pays more or less for is fairly interesting. He pays 1000 souls for any piece of armor worn by/associated with a woman, 200 souls for a Dung Pie (which explains the terrible breath, also allows Dung Pies to be used as a sort of soul bank since you can buy them for 200 from the female undead merchant), a fair amount for Havel's Ring and Greatshield, bonuses for dragon stuff, and anything associated with Gwyn. Of characters we've seen/heard about outside of the intro thus far, he doesn't seem all that fond of Artorias, as the Wolf Ring only gives 40 souls instead of the usual 100 for rings.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The sneeple sorcerers do magic damage, despite the apparent lightning effects.

Vamos' line about New Londo is probably a remnant of an earlier build, because the ember that's there isn't for him.

Vamos and Pinwheel are the keys to an early-game cheese strategy, where you do a Benny Hill impression through the Catacombs, grab the Great Scythe, summon an NPC for Pinwheel (yes, they gave you a summon for that fight), homeward bone back to the bonfire, give yourself just enough str/dex to wield the GS, drop back down to Vamos (picking up that green shard), then buy enough titanite shards to get the GS to +5 and make it fire. The GS has very good base damage and is a good candidate for elemental ascension, although in the long run a pure phys dex build will get the most damage out of it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ousire posted:

One thing that always upset me about Sen's Fortress was that I don't think you ever learn anything about it or who the hell Sen was. I would have figured in a game like this, you'd get some flavor text or lore that mentions something about the place.

One theory I've seen is that "Sen" actually means "thousand," and the name should be translated more like "Fortress of a Thousand [Traps]".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm starting to wonder if Vicas is allergic to levelling, running around with all those souls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vicas posted:

The timeline stuff is kinda murky, but the word "god" almost exclusively refers to Gwyn and his family/species in this game.

Other gods (aside from Gwyn's family) mentioned are Velka, Flann, Fina, Old Man McLoyf, and the nameless blacksmith deity responsible for titanite slabs/demons.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Playing a glass cannon sorcerer who knows exactly where everything is is ridiculously strong and will chump ~90% of the bosses in the game. Iron Golem will go down in three hits from long range, well before he can actually attack you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Friends don't let friends try to block the archers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are you going to show the trick to the staircase?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pun pundit posted:

I always lure that rear end in a top hat up the stairs so his friends form an orderly line to be killed in.

This also has the benefit of making it hard for the sorcerer to hit you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Frampt will pay a suspiciously high amount* for Dung Pies as well, which probably explains the awful smell our missing friend complained of.

And we get inside that same mouth to be transported to the lordvessel site!

*He'll buy them for the same price it costs to purchase them, allowing them to be used as a sort of soul bank.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wonderslug posted:

one rather confused and confusing NPC in Dark Souls 2 who is basically a perfect example of everything wrong with that game's vaguebooking approach to anything and everything related to DS1.

Dude needed to get back to Kingdom Hearts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vicas posted:

I got a bit mixed up about which switch was where :v:

Also about which door opens with a switch and which one you just push open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One of the neater applications of verticality in this area is that you can skip about half the level very early on by making a jump from one of the towers to land very near the door back to the beginning.

The slumbering dragoncrest ring and hidden body spell are very useful in the basement.

• Locked thread