Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hopefully there won't be any smelly disgusting anteaters in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Why don't they look Bill? Why don't they look?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to think of a perfect movie they can use for the first episode. Maybe another Joe Don movie?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
All I can eat? The jokes on them!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'd buy the DVD sets but they seem way too expensive for what is essentially 4 episodes. I know they're way longer than normal TV shows, but it's over the top.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BooDoug187 posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha and then he died!

It's weird but that might be my favorite joke in the series, the timing and delivery is pitch perfect and I laugh every single time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ZDar Fan posted:

This was uploaded to Youtube over a year ago, but it's new to me.

TIME CHASERS (a/k/a TANGENTS) Original 1994 Theatrical Release Promo Featurette

As I recall the cast of this movie gathered around to watch the MST3K episode on it and apparently half the cast got really bothered about it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Merlin's Shop might has to be in the top 5 of the funniest episodes of the series, so many amazing moments.

The angry psychic was the best "YOU MORON!" with the needlessly mean columnist being a close second.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

One of my favorite parts of High School Big Shot is the whole bit with the dad and the ever expanding mythology of the magical fairyland.

Also how just relentlessly bleak that movie is with everyone betraying everyone else, the dad hanging himself to give his son a clean start and the bit where the hoodlum boyfriend empties an entire revolver into his girlfriend.

What are some of the other incredibly dark movies they've done?

High School Big Shot
Red Zone Cuba
Sidehackers
Merlin is pretty drat dark for what is meant to be a kid's movie
Girl in Lover's Lane (it's been a long time since I've seen it, as I recall it's incredibly dark)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I can't recall the name but the short about getting married too early was pretty amazing. Especially the scene where the girl's parents straight up say "Look, you have like 2 months of college left. Just chill out till then and after you graduate we'll buy you a house and you guys can get married." and the guys are just screaming "TAKE THE HOUSE! THE HOUSE!" was wonderful.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Sash! posted:

I know that I'm glad I studied Industrial Arts

I love how the "before" Bread-Man wasn't just impolite or bad at his job, he was an outright dick.

Yeah he was literally wolf whistling at women, smashing product and dropping things everywhere.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder if the revival will have any shorts. They seemed to peter out on them by the end, I can only recall three from the later seasons. The shorts were mainly meant to pad episodes with shorter movies right?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Thee's just so many shorts out there that they can still do, I'd love if every single episode had one, it's not like they have to confirm to a totally strict time limit at this point right?

Sidehackers was the episode where they learned that had to watch movies and check them fully before writing jokes right? It had a graphic rape scene as I recall.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Sash! posted:

I could just watch blocks of shorts

There's something deeply hilarious about 1950's instructional films. The Date with Your Family short is so insane.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Well, SciFi wanted everything they did to be science fiction related. You're not going to find a lot of scifi shorts.

Isn't this also why they had host segments that formed a story where they went to Rome and stuff?

I really feel like Sci-Fi totally making GBS threads on MST3K by the end was when the channel started to tank for me, you're really going to bitch at the show having non Sci-Fi episodes when the framework of the show itself if Sci-Fi?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Laserblast is an amazing episode if only because the Aliens provide among the fumiest riffs in the series

IT'S ME! I ADMIT IT!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've seen the episode multiple times, but I'm shocked every single time by the scene in Red Zone Cuba where they throw the old man down the well. It's so needlessly cruel and mean spirited, that whole movie is in the top 5 of the worst they've ever done.

Also am I the only one who finds the Hamlet episode to almost unwatchably boring?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder if we'll see more 80's-90's cheese fests over the 50's B movie style films. That seemed like the direction the last few seasons were going.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I found something on Youtube that's kinda cool. Someone uploaded footage they took back in 1996 of the second MST3k convention. Highlights include what looks like a DOOM tournament or something as well as a live screening of a short that was meant to be on a CD-ROM the guys were working on but never came into being.

The CD-ROM apparantly was meant to have a little flight sim on it as well as two exclusive shorts: Assignment:Venezuela (which is the one shown at the convention) and a short about Mylar that apparantly got lost when Best Brains moved offices and is now considered lost forever.

The footage isn't awesome and the sounds sucks (it's pretty much impossible to hear the riffs during the short but you can find it in perfect condition on youtube) but it's fun to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIDfUe1fDE The rest of the footage is in the links on the side of the page.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Crank Whore?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay, so we always talk about the best episodes, but earlier I talked about Hamlet being possibly the hardest episode to watch, what are the other really tough episodes? I'm gonna go with Hamlet and Starfighters, both are just so ruthlessly boring that it's tough to manage them.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Giant Spider Invasion is such a deeply unpleasant film.

You forgot your back brace!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
While there were worse movies, is Wild World of Batwoman the angriest one of the crew got at a movie with Servo screaming "END ENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND!" at the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Any more updates on the revival? Last I checked they said they made their movie selections but were keeping in secret.

I've got to say, the whole diner scene at the beginning of Girl in Gold Boots is one of the shows funniest bits. Especially Crows' disgust at the flirting.

I love how she just leaves her dad to run that place alone drunk and he's never ever mentioned for the entire rest of the film.

• Locked thread