Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WebDog posted:

Here's some cliff words :

:perfect:

This is amazing. You are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

waitwhatno posted:

Yeah, OK. But what's the dream about? From what I managed to put together it's a space sim + FPS, but how is it different from eve online and other already existing crap and why will it ruin that guys farm and starve all his animals?

(This is like me trying to understand bitcoin all over.)

For a lot of people (myself included) there's a massive desire to be immersed in a sci-fi world similar to Star Wars, with starfighters and tramp freighters and players not just flying a ship but actually being inside them. Star Citizen looked to be closer to that experience than any other game, and the entire marketing campaign revolved around that. The joke about SC being full of dreams is fairly accurate, particularly with respect to ship sales. They weren't selling ships, they were selling roles.

My own experience reflects this. I saw a community full of autistic carebears and knew stealing their poo poo would be hilarious. So after getting the $35 starter pack and then seeing nine months of progress I bought the Cutlass "pirate" ship. It was flexible, designed to board ships, and was supposedly fast. I saw myself in that role and became attached to the ship and what it represented. Now take that feeling to an extreme, toss in hundreds or thousands of dollars of sunk cost fallacy, and you have the insanity we have now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gilganixon posted:

that's a $120 jpg, did you get a refund or do you still consider it a good price for the inside look at the insanity and whatnot?

It was $110 when I bought it. My purchase history is weird. I was an original backer so Goons would use me to "launder" ships so they could get a feature called lifetime insurance (a formerly limited benefit that pretty much anyone can get). During 2013 interest in SC exploded and I laundered more than $28,000 worth of starships. I got around $700 in "tips" for doing this and bought a bunch of ships on store credit. I also bought a few minor upgrades here and there and sold a ship for $300 to break even.

I then became a subscriber for $10 a month. The main advantage for this was being able to directly ask Chris questions via his weekly show (I hold the record for most questions answered, which pisses off a bunch of spergs). I also still believed in the project at this point and appreciated supporting the efforts that communicated things to the community. Between subscriptions and various purchases I spent $600. Most of the purchases was small stuff. $5 here, $20 there, the charity skin, etc over a three year period.

In October I got permabanned from the forums and I decided to sell off some more ships. I broke even again, and then CIG had a big military sale which killed the value of the ship's I had left so I figured I would wait. Then in December one of the guys I helped launder ships for got a refund and demanded that CIG return the gifted packages to their original owners. I got around $500 worth back.

So the end result is that I have made back all my money, have all the benefits of being an original backer, and still have $1K "worth" of ships. Since my backer history is so complicated it's unlikely that I would have gotten anything refunded. I am still deciding what to do with the remaining packages. Most are locked to my account.

Honestly had I just had the $110 package I likely would have not gotten a refund. I still expect CIG to deliver a product, and I have gotten more than my money's worth in entertainment. Breaking even thanks to selling stuff has just been gravy. I do not expect to ever give CIG more money based on how they are acting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Justin Tyme posted:

Honestly dude just sell your account, your name is probably worth something to some sperg out there.

My account is infamous enough that it would get permabanned in a heartbeat and people would likely report it just to gently caress it over. Plus CIG still owes me three loving games and I'm already in the black, so gently caress it.

Gilganixon posted:

to me this sounds like a good game, I couldn't care less about the space sim itself.

Is there still a lot of this wheeling and dealing going on or is the writing on the wall?

Not really. There are still plenty of people who sell stuff on Reddit and the process for selling is itself very well established. However CIG has absolutely crashed the "market" for anything that's not quantity limited. What will likely happen is that prices for game packages will see a permanent spike after January because CIG thinks that their game (yes the same one Chris tried to "play" on that video) is substantive enough to justify not only refusing further refunds but also split Squadron 42 and Star Citizen into separate pre-orders. Otherwise you're typically looking at selling stuff at cost or at a 20% markdown if you want to move it quickly. Back in the day some ships would sell for two or three times their original price.

Professor Shark posted:

If this every turns out I want to join your crew, so long as we fight everything that we come across and kill as many people as possible

That's pretty much how I wanted to play the game. Assuming something ever came out (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) all of my poo poo was readily intended to be handed out to Goons like candy so we could thoroughly abuse the power of numbers. That was a huge part of the appeal of the early days; as you can tell this community is absolutely ripe for tears. Having a bunch of assholes ramming and boarding and generally loving around with spergs as they pretended to be space nobles aboard their autism chariots or whatever seemed like the most amazing thing ever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Beer4theBeerGod why were you perma banned? It sounds like it could be a fun story. Also, what made you lose faith and enthusiasm in the project?

The official text is "You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself." which is CIG's way of saying "We're banning you because we can." The most likely reason is because before CitCon (Star Citizen's annual convention, yes they have a convention) I collaborated with Derek Smart in an attempt to either prove or disprove he had a source inside CIG. The way that would happen is by having him provide me with the secret name of the new ship (Vindicator), which I would hide behind a hash and then reveal afterwards. Naturally I hosed it up by not salting the hash and it was broken in literally seconds. Goons ruin everything, etc. Smart was in good spirits about it. His source said the Aegis Vindicator would be sold for $175. Instead CIG sold the Aegis "Sabre" for $170.

Of course that didn't stop CIG from loving up the sale page of the "Sabre" and leave the Aegis POTATO in the description...

As for losing faith? It was a combination of things. I have a history of being one of the most vocal critics of CIG from the beginning, and I had started to see a routine pattern of them failing to learn their own lessons and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. Things got particularly bad over the summer when they started to fall behind (again) on releasing the FPS and jerked people around on the Cutlass. When Derek Smart entered the picture things just got worse, particularly after the Escapist article and Chris Roberts' Internet rant. When James was fired for being a rumored Derek Smart source it hit pretty close to home; he was the only community team member with a shred of credibility or professionalism. Finally I lose all hope during CitCon itself when we saw the Admiral Bishop speech. It became clear to me that the priority for Chris Roberts was to produce an interactive movie, not a game, and what he was producing was derivative bullshit attempting to ride on the names of big Hollywood actors.

At this point we're supposed to believe that CIG is less than a year away from releasing a final, polished product in Squadron 42. We're supposed to believe that 2.0 represents "dozens" of hours of gameplay. We're supposed to believe that CIG is progressing smoothly, that they have sufficient financial reserves to produce both SQ42 and Star Citize, and that you can do all of this right now. We're supposed to believe that everything backers have paid hundreds of millions for, from farming crops to capital ship combat, will be delivered in AAA quality in a seamless massively multiplayer experience. We're supposed to believe all of that, and yet CIG can't even get a group of players to join the same server. They can't make a FPS smoothly run in a FPS engine. They can't lock a single feature. They can't meet a release date. They can't even tell me why I was banned.

I didn't lose faith. CIG wasted it all.

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizens are so easy to grief that you can upset them by running rather than walking. The running breaks their "immersion."

Believe it or not enforcing a "no running" rule is one of the few things CR has actually said no to.

Professor Shark posted:

I really like shotguns and swords, will Star Citizen allow me to blast autists in the face before I stab their bodies and pillage their poo poo?

Yes. Melee combat is a stretch goal, and there's something supposedly called a "laser shotgun" that was being worked on.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 3, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for the info, it is really interesting. I know I kind of watched with interest when the game was first announced and Kickstarted. I guess that was actually quite a long time ago, now that I think about it. I remember it being a lot of fun to go to their forums where people would post things like "We need to ban goonsquad!" or stuff like that. Our reputation preceded us so much that they wanted us banned from a game that wasn't to take place for years. Is Derek Smart some sort of nemesis to Chris Roberts? Is there a feud ongoing between them, or some other source for the bad blood? The whole situation actually seems unbelievable. What was the original time frame for the release of the multiplayer space simulation, and what is the current expected release of that portion? It seems like a lot of feature creep, I mean enough feature creep that a whole extra game is being produced, if I understand correctly.

The Star Citizen "community" is one of the most self-entitled, fragile, delusional groups of people I have ever encountered. Second to the promise of the game itself the community was a major reason why I thought it would be so much fun for Goons. I still remember the first thread where the community was posting images showing the size of their "fleets" for various groups. We just dropped this...

...and scared the poo poo out of everyone. From there it was a massive rush of GoonFear and people freaking out that Star Citizen would basically become EVE 2.0 with spying, theft, scams, and everything else that we do so well. I miss those early days, there was so much hope.

Derek Smart is a competitor to Chris Roberts. Back in the day he made the Battlecruiser 3000 AD series of games. Although originally a backer of SC, CIG made the mistake of refunding him when he started posting blogs questioning how Star Citizen could ever get made. At this point there's clearly a feud (my affiliation with Smart is likely why I was banned). Smart is notoriously belligerent and made CIG look like a bunch of idiots, but it all came to a head with a lawsuit threat at the end of November which never materialized. He's rich, has experience with game development (he has his own space sim he's working on), and at least before things died down in December he was ridiculously persistent. Whether Smart (or CIG for that matter) are in the process of putting for lawsuits isn't really known, but I wouldn't be surprised if both were working on something.

The original timeline had a hangar release in August 2013 and a playable demo for dogfighting in December of 2013 followed by a year of releasing several modules culminating in a beta for December 2014. Chris is on record saying that three years of development (including the year he had already done) was enough for what he wanted to do and anything more than that would bog things down. The hangar module was indeed released in August after Gamescom, and things continued with the CitizenCon 2013 livestream but in December CIG said that the then-named dogfighting module would be pushed back so that they could focus on multiplayer. This was billed as a good thing that would eliminate waste since the original plan was for the dogfighting module to be a rather slapdash affair with a lot of jury rigging. In April of 2014 Chris Roberts revealed the dogfighting module (renamed "Arena Comander") at a live event in Boston (I was actually there and got to have drinks with his brother, Erin, who is a ridiculously awesome guy and I wish I could talk to him about all this and see WTF is really going on). The reveal was a disaster with lots of crashing and delays and nothing working. AC was supposed to be released in April, then May, and then was finally dropped for (single player) in June. Multiplayer was slowly rolled out until everyone could play "Arena Commander 0.8" through July. In August 2014 we were provided with the next Star Citizen livestream once again at Gamescom. Here we were treated with (yet another) buggy demo, this time featuring multi-crew inside a Constellation as well as a slick teaser of FPS gameplay. Following up with that was CitizenCon 2014 which featured the preliminary view of the social module. A roadmap presented said Arena Commander 1.0 would be released at the end of the year followed up by the FPS module, Planetside/Social module, Arena Commander 2.0 (with multi-crew), Squadron 42 (Episode 1, followed by the remaining 4 episodes every 3 months for a total of 50 hours of gameplay), and then finally an alpha of the persistent universe. Next we got PAX Australia 2014 which finally did a live reveal of the FPS. Arena Commander 1.0 (now called Star Citizen) did indeed come out in December right before Christmas, although what justified calling it a "1.0" release is beyond me.

In January of 2015 we got a new glimpse of the schedule thanks to Chris Roberts giving a BAFTA presentation. Now the FPS would be released in Spring 2015 along with the Planetside/Social module. Summer 2015 would see Arena Commander 2.0 with multi-crew gameplay, Squadron 42 Episode 1 would be released in the fall, and at the end of 2015 the persistent universe alpha would be released. Finally in 2016 Star Citizen itself would be commercially launched. That did not happen. Not much was revealed during a PAX South Townhall and expectations were high for a FPS reveal (now called Star Marine) at PAX East. The FPS was supposed to be released by the end of March, Planetside/Social module by the end of April, Arena Commander 2.0 during the summer, and Squadron 42 would be released with 20 hours of content and 17 missions. This is the first time Roberts mentions splitting Squadron 42 into multiple games; while previously we were to get 50 hours of content in one game we would now get 3 games with the first one seemingly having 20 hours of content. To this day none of the content from that FPS reveal has been playable and CIG has not explained why. The following week social content was supposed to be revealed at SXSW 2015, but ended up being a lovely commercial shown at a party later on. Absolutely nothing happened until Gamescom 2015 where the social module, FPS module, and multi-crew were demonstrated. The new schedule had the social module released at the end of August, FPS module released at the end of September, and Squadron 42 revealed at CitizenCon. The social module was indeed released at the end of August and ended up basically being a large map you could run around and use a chat interface with, but the FPS was subsequently subsumed into Star Citizen 2.0.

The next major reveal was CitizenCon 2015, where things really went off the rails. Starting off with Sandi's utterly weird speech (complete with awkward flowers), we learned that Star Citizen 2.0 would be a "baby PU" with a massive game environment and multi-crew content as well as FPS content. Promised to be released "soon" CR jokes about getting poo poo for talking about dates. The map of Star Citizen's galaxy is also revealed along with Squadron 42... being released in 2016. The scope of SQ42 had also expanded from being a revitalization of Wing Commander to a full sandbox game with tactical combat on ground, space, and EVA. Star Citizen 2.0 was indeed released in November with mixed results.

As of right now nobody outside of CIG has even the faintest clue when to expect anything. This thread contains some clarification about Squadron 42 itself, mostly Ben attempting damage control while pretending that one person saying 20 hours of content is equivalent to another person saying 50 hours, and there is absolutely no information about when to expect Star Citizen itself. Or even what to expect when (if) Star Citizen actually is released. Even more damning is the lack of actual gameplay, such as the PC Gamer article from November where the writer flat out admits he didn't see or play anything. For something due out next year, and already a year past due, that's pretty disturbing.[quote]

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blazing Ownager posted:

Holy gently caress tracking down Credit information or interviews regarding the pre-internet Privateer are rough.

I was surprised to see Erin Robert's name as the lead developer on Wikipedia. "That can't be right," I thought. And lo, it was not right, as I dug up the original manual: The actual lead was named Joel Manners. Erin Roberts was only an Associate Producer, and much like Chris Roberts, did jack poo poo except collect a producer credit.

I am shocked how hard that fact was to find. Basically had to get the Privateer manual PDF and look through it.

ED: Interestingly enough, while he's not had any major hits since, he's at least still working in the industry as of a couple years ago (and probably still is, just his last credit) so that's nice to see. Someone should really fix Wikipedia. http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,3794/

ED: Also google Ares Rising. Almost all the key players behind Privateer made their own studio to make that, and to be honest, I barely remember hearing about it. Is it a lost gem or did it turn out crap? Either way, that's likely why Erin ended up loving Privateer 2. All I could find was a single review that kept bitching about how the graphics weren't apart of this amazing new 3D acceleration and kept praising the game in other ways followed by "BUT I DON'T LIKE THE GRAPHICS."

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. A producer in game design is a bit different from a producer in movies, they're closer to project managers. Darian Vorlick is a producer for CIG and unless I am seriously off about things he constantly works his rear end off. I know Travis Day did. After Chris formed Digital Anvil I think Erin started his own studio and developed Starlancer while Chris hosed around with the Wing Commander movie and Freelancer simultaneously.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Conversations like this are why I love SA.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Romes128 posted:

The gently caress is wrong with these people

Everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

terrorist ambulance posted:

When you buy a ship for 140 USD$, are you buying a "license" for the ship that allows you to fly it in game, and you just have to buy copies of it with in game resources? Or are you literally buying a 140$ virtual object that, if it's destroyed, you lose it permanently and have to buy another one with real cash

Because the first is dumb, but the second is literally inexplicable to me

Neither. The way it works is that you "own" a copy of the starship, and it's inside your hangar for you to use as you please. There is an insurance mechanic that replaces the ship when lost. Depending on when you purchase the ship it will also come with Lifetime Insurance, which basically means you can't lose it. Ships purchased later will have insurance that lasts for a few months (or years) and will cost in-game credits to maintain. Supposedly the price of maintaining it is insignificant.

It's dumb and just another example of how CIG has unnecessarily complicated things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lonos Oboe posted:

It's amazing how we are all speculating on how the game will be full of people who want total freedom but don't want you doing what you want because it's rape. People slaving for other people in massive ships and wasting months of their lives in lobbies or hanging around not actually doing anything worth while. All the drama and poo poo that a game with such a toxic community will have. The idiots spending life savings on jpgs and the stupid insurance system for years to come. All the crap that we KNOW will be badly implemented or poo poo, and we will all laugh at it. And yet, The game will probably never come out or more likely get shitted out into a "ongoing development beta" steam greenlight knockoff where the idiots who drank the koolaid will play until "The Next Big Thing™" and everyone else will forget it except when it appears in Buzzfeed articles alongside Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem.

All this wonderful derision and big juicy balls of scorn we are pouring on it and the game will never live up to our lowest expectations. All we will have to make fun of is Battlecruiser 3000/ Universal Combat levels of half baked shittery.

It's tragic really.

Even now we still dream. That's the power of Star Citizen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Actually what Ben says flat out doesn't count.

Christ Roberts, Game Developer posted:

Unless it comes from me or through an official channel like a front page post it's just one of our dev's knowledge / opinion at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HJE-Cobra posted:

In my opinion, yeah. You get to pilot a ship in space and pewpew lasers at chumps.

Plus it's on sale right now! Steam Winter Sale for like two more hours, only $15 for the base game!

$15 for the base game and you get a $15 discount if you want to upgrade to Horizons. It's a pretty good deal for the content. Definitely worth loving around in space for a bit.

• Locked thread