Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
He seems to have gotten many people to become members of the Labour Party, reversing the trend started by Blair. Influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
But the UK government benefits massively from terrorism, so

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Because we must set arbitrary targets we feel he will fail so we can prove he's failing like we want him to.

The nameless source is certainly not a Corbyn ally. Unless 'being in the same party' counts as an ally.

(What I kind of hope is that he blows right the gently caress past those arbitrary targets, rather like with Oldham, and just leaves those allies sputtering to try to seem happy congratulating him.

Followed by an inevitable shifting of the goalposts

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
BBC news are currently running a story about how there has been no reshuffle and nothing has changed. Exemplary.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

What poo poo does the rest of the EU have to put up with from the UK?

The UK being a practical tax haven in parts.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

jabby posted:

A non-answer about orphans, a refusal to take more immigrants, and no less than four pre-prepared and unfunny digs at Labour that he was going to use regardless of the topic.

Our prime minister is a joke.

If the PM is a joke, what does that make the press?

(Completely loving worthless)

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Kuenssberg has apparently instructed to keep her head down for a few days so this all gets forgotten about.

Link?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Angepain posted:

looking forward to the resulting Brexit from the international community as a whole

The United Kingdom of England and Saudi Arabia, circa 2019

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

winegums posted:

Your dad is good people :unsmith:

Regarding the whole Trident thing (since the Guardian is currently on round 89783253453 of "poo poo on Corbyn"). Why is this being tied to Corbyn? If the members of the party vote for this then it's not Corbyn's decision, it's the parties. It seems the harder he tries to push for consensus-lead politics the more the media and the PLP tries to make it Corbyn-based instead. I suppose it's because 1vote out of 21 is a damned sight more than 1 vote in 430'000. I just wonder if there are enough Labour MPs who are both competent and not complete shits to make a cabinet out of.

I just don't see why they're hung up on Trident of all issues. Is this what their constituents really care about? Or is this simply "a thing to complain about"?

I imagine that they want a repeat of what happened with the Syria bombing, if only because it's easy for the papers just to rinse and repeat.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Noxville posted:

I saw someone dump this on Twitter earlier without saying the date, I don't think that's from today since the date bar at the top looks like Wednesday 6th (you can't see it in that photo bit can sort of in this one: https://twitter.com/ianprior/status/686476717880438785?s=09 )

Nope, it's definitely today's (just had a look).

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Everyone shut up and stop engaging with these weirdos

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/telegraph-workplace-sensors#.tr5VwWNgR

quote:

Daily Telegraph Installs Workplace Monitors On Journalists’ Desks
The devices tell whether newspaper staff are at their desk using heat and motion sensors.

The Daily Telegraph has installed devices to monitor whether journalists are at their desks, BuzzFeed News has learned.

The newspaper confirmed the move in email to staff after multiple employees said that they had come into work on Monday morning to find small plastic monitoring boxes attached to their desks.

Journalists were baffled by the unannounced appearance of the boxes. Staff resorted to googling the brand name and discovered they were wireless motion detectors produced by a company called OccupEye which monitor whether individuals are using their desks.

OccupEye’s website says it provides “automated workspace utilisation analysis” using sensors which “are triggered by both motion and heat”. This allows management access to a system that is “ultra-sensitive, yet ultra-reliable when it comes to tracking real-time 1:1 space utilisation”.

“Quite simply, if a space is used, your OccupEye sensors will record it and you are guaranteed to know about it,” the website states.

The results can then be viewed on a sensor-by-sensor basis, giving bosses complete access to data about whether an individual is at their desk.

One journalist at the paper said Telegraph union representatives had raised concerns about the issue and “HR are frantically rowing back on it”.

Referring to the prospect that management could now potentially tell when staff nip out for toilet breaks, they said: “Never before has taking a poo poo on company time felt so rebellious”.

Shortly after BuzzFeed News contacted the newspaper for comment, an email was sent to all staff explaining that the sensors will be in place for four weeks and are an environmental measure designed to “make ​our floors in ​the building as energy efficient as possible” while reducing “the amount of power we consume for heating, lighting and cooling the building at times of low usage” as part of the Telegraph’s commitment to green energy measures. The data would be used to monitor broad areas within the office for energy usage, it said.

However, OccupEye’s own website makes few references to environmental issues and instead focuses on how companies can make cost savings by downsizing their offices and fitting more staff into smaller spaces.

The Telegraph declined to comment on the monitors.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Puntification posted:

I naively thought everyone was real upset about david bowie dying. This was a real disappointment.

Usually it's one of these big things were some comedy fuckwit pops up out of the shadows and starts arguing the petty toss about how their racism (or any other prejudice) is scientifically fine, so it's not really unusual.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Jose posted:

I'm sure Osborne will be held to account by the press for the fact that pushing austerity after the last crash is going to really gently caress over recovery from the one coming

What upcoming crash? It is definitely one we didn't see coming™

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
And now Alan Rickman has bit the dust. :(

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I suppose the good news is that with oil being so cheap, its stopped companies destroying the arctic as its so expensive to produce oil there its just not worth it.

The bad news is that none of this is any concern to George Osbourne, who wants to frack everywhere in England

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Cerv posted:

What other outcome were you expecting? The case died with him. This announcement is just paperwork.

To find out if anyone else was involved, so they can get done for enabling a paedo (or also being a paedo?).

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Is Corbyn?

Who else could it potentially be, Pissflaps? Maybe you should throw out a name or two.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

What is it that makes the UK require nuclear weapons when few other countries in Europe do? Are they just relying on British and French nukes to keep them safe? I'm sure that Finland or Germany could build up a nuclear arsenal if there were the will to do so, but I don't think they've ever shown any signs of wanting to. I choose those two because they both have nuclear power, and seem like they'd be under considerably more threat than the UK from hypothetical Russian aggression, but really the same applies to most countries in Northern Europe.

I'm not asking rhetorical questions to score points here, I'd like to know.

Illusions of grandeur, basically.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Rather than making this thread be about me

Why change the habit of a lifetime

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Look how much better Milliband was doing then compared to Corbyn now. And he still lost.

Good work shooting yourself in the foot though.

So you're saying that the opposite is true for Corbyn, and he'll rise from the ashes? Good to know.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Fans posted:

Ah found his recent comments on it off the tail of legal Medical Marijuana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0qSRhBVsUw

So close Corbyn. C'mon, you know you want to do it.

The difference is that the other candidates veer towards the tried-and-tested "did it as a reckless youth, but now I'm grown up and mature..." line, whilst Corbyn is keen to press for a measured approach in light of his apparent lack of knowledge or experience about the drug. You might say that it's a window into his way of doing things generally.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

They can't talk about immigration because the left has no answers. Well it has two. A) Outright support because to not support it would be racist and also its the opposite of what the fascists want so it must be good? Yeah? Ok that's that sorted. B) Ignore it. They are currently operating under mode B.

It's strange when you consider all this mass immigration (not talking about refugees here) is a result of globalization, a very neoliberal capitalist concept, and was originally intended to force wages down by flooding labour markets. It's almost like only the right can tackle it because they are the right and can do "controversial" stuff. The left, on the other hand, can seemingly not even discuss possible issues.

It's the sort of thing they could jump in and pull it into austerity, e.g. "if the Tories are so concerned about immigration, why has it gone up? Could it be because of a lack of funding to monitor both legal and illegal immigrants, or are they more interested in maintaining a permanent underclass working in sweatshops or as sex slaves or Tory cleaners" etc.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Pissflaps mimics Telegraph, quelle surprise

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

itt: lots of people who are familiar with neo-nazi phrases and slang

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNq7IZ-sTgI

Also RIP Fluo, tragic.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

no this happens. various transplant procedures have $500k+ price tags

Jesus loving Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

My wife is American and her mother died a few years ago from breast cancer. While she was alive and undergoing treatment, I was visiting at their place in Colorado and helped my FiL set up a spreadsheet to track the medical expenses. He was a senior manager at a big defence contractor, basically one step below director level, and he had gold plated insurance from his work - this was pre ACA. He was paying in the region of $20k a year in premiums deducted from his salary. On top of that he'd paid about 30k in co-pays for various procedures up to that point. On top of that, he'd also had to pay out of pocket for about 750k of stuff that the insurance wouldn't cover anymore because the insurance had refused to pay for it. All of this was money he had to pay or his wife would die, none of it was elective, none of it was for stuff that hadn't been signed off as medically necessary by a doctor. He had to sell his RV, his boat, his quad bikes (he didn't spend a lot of money on stuff but he liked his outdoor toys) and remortgage his house. Just because his wife lost the cancer lottery. He was 'lucky' because he had assets to sell and some savings to pour into that hole. If he hadn't had a way to come up with about 800k in cash, then his choices would have been all about how fast he wanted his wife to die.

Remember also that in the US, if you file for bankruptcy, health care bills still need to be paid in full afterwards. Health care costs were the number one driver of bankruptcies in the US, and declaring bankruptcy doesn't discharge your obligations to pay them.

I'll take two weeks to see my over-worked and underpaid GP over that kind of actively evil fuckery.

I was flabbergasted due to my own experiences; I've already had one liver transplant for a rare, auto-immune condition, and I'm awaiting another, albeit having done so for more than two years now due to the survivability of someone in my position. From literature I've been given, it says that the total cost of a transplant (staff, equipment, bed stay, aftercare etc. etc.) is estimated to be on average of £40,000 over here, when accouting for the relative cost reduction of mass treatment for patients, so what I'm saying is that it takes some really hosed up fudging of costs to make it cost x10 as much.

• Locked thread