Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Angela Christine posted:

Oh, wow, according to that there was a prequel. It shows what the Doctor was doing before Clara showed up. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37zoka

Neat.

This is really recommended viewing. Some characters get introduced here that barely get any screen time in the episode itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

What's up with the narrator's pronunciation? Sounds like either an accent or a stroke. :ohdear:

edit: I guess it's just a Japanese guy trying really hard to sound American? Really weird.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, the sunglasses are cool. They make Capaldi look like an aging rock star. Which he is. Have a sample.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stabbatical posted:

I agree. Maybe it's a sign I should probably stop watching a drama that's mainly for children.

I wanted this too, really. Two old men talking was the best part of this colourful kid's sci-fi.

Anyway, I thought that one was okay. Davros was great until he was hamming up the place again (which is unusual as he's most often enjoyable because he's a ham). I didn't get the whole Missy traps Clara in a Dalek subplot, it seemed superfluous, and it's interesting the the review just glides by it because it takes up a large chunk of the screentime. You could probably just cut it all out and not lose anything.

Slightly gruff meaning: Abandons child in mine field, throws dying man out of chair. I do agree, though, that it was really entertaining when the Doctor was just a huge piece of poo poo.

The Missy subplot sets up the whole sewers thing. It's basically an excuse to have explosions despite the fact that it's an episode about two guys talking. I think Occ's got it right. This episode wants to be a chamber play-style bottle episode starring only the Doctor and Davros, but they're just not brave enough to have their family show be so minimalist.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

I am watching One Punch Man

One Punch Man is Extremely Good

Ok.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It's got lots of good moments and lots of bad moments. Makes for a really inconsistent episode, but it's not a deal breaker. Its heart is in the right place.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DoctorWhat posted:

You know what, that's a mostly fair assessment. Except that I try not to steamroll other perspectives except when those perspectives are trying to establish themselves as definitive or absolute.

Like "[X Episode] sucks because it has Bad Science, and furthermore the Bad Science is evidence that they Didn't Care when they were making this episode so the episode must be bad."

There's like four worse-than-baseless & arbitrary assumptions and evaluations in that line of thinking but by GOD is that very argument loving omnipresent.

DoctorWhat posted:

I like it exactly as much as I like Kill the Moon: I appreciate and understand what it's trying to do enough that I can forgive its lack of elegance.

See, you call it "lack of elegance" but I think it's closer to what Occ described as "lack of care". Harness doesn't give a poo poo about making the plot progression believable because it needs to lead him somewhere specific. The message is more important to him than the actual telling of a story. However, when you want to convey a message through a medium, you have to respect the rules of said medium. If you want to tell us how dangerous young Zygons are, you at least have to try to make the story believable in its portrayal of exactly that aspect. Nothing is more damaging to your argument than a viewer who can't suspend their disbelief.

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Woman Who Lived

B

And More

You know, I still wouldn't give this episode an F, but I have definitely started reconsidering how well it holds up in comparison to The Girl Who Died. It's not surprising that these episodes don't get any better when watched repeatedly, but I almost expected the stuff that seems jarring at first to smoothe over after a while.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DoctorWhat posted:

No you don't! You've made these rules up entirely from whole cloth and you're doing exactly what I'm talking about that keeps setting me off.

:rolleyes: It's really difficult to have any kind of conversation with you if you're so easily triggered, you know. Seems to me like you're just allergic to people disagreeing with you.

I also didn't make this up. You're just unfamiliar with the text I was referencing. If you want to look it up, I was thinking of a bit on literary disbelief in fiction in Tolkien's On Fairy -Stories.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Oxxidation posted:

And Catman's Burning Breath is an excellent indie-folk band name, so you're welcome.

Sounds like a Cat Stevens/ Burning Spear cover band.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It's gonna be something.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Lt. Danger posted:

Industrial clone warfare doesn't belong in a psychological horror episode about zaibatsu turning their employees into unsleeping worker drones?

That's not what the episode is about. It's about viral videos and eye booger monsters.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I disagree. That aspect has almost no bearing on the story. It's basically an extraneous detail.

It would be way better, though, if

Blasmeister posted:

the episode was about the social/moral/political implications of being able to remove the need for sleep instead of the dust monsters.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 23, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"Sleep No More"

Series 9, Episode 9

(…) the audience has even less of a grasp on The Sandmen then when they started.

(…) - then he, quite frankly, has.

Good review, but please watch where you're using those temporal conjunctions, Occ. You're gonna put an eye out.

Face the Raven is a really good episode on its own, and then Clara dies in a way that's satisfying and frustrating at the same time. In a way, that's better than her death being clearly heroic or clearly pointless.

Burkion posted:

Clara's death is as hilarious as her character is inconsistent.

Which is extremely.

Oh season 8 Clara, I miss you. You were a terrible person, but you were a consistently terrible person.

Clara became pretty consistently less of a horrible person after Dark Water (which was peak selfishness).

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

2house2fly posted:

I think they were maybe going for an effect of "this will somehow not happen, the Doctor will swoop in and save the day somehow" by making it so drawn out, or maybe trying to get across that that's how the Doctor is feeling, "this isn't actually happening, it didn't actually happen, it won't have happened in a moment". I don't know how universal that is, but that's my internal monologue whenever something devastating happens, like dropping my food on the floor.

Man, I wish I could appreciate food that much. Either way, it's kind of filmed like a daring stunts from a Jackie Chan flick. They really want you to take in all the work that went into the stunt/effect, so they're just gonna show it to you from every available angle.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Burkion posted:

But in the process she kind of backslid into being the EveryCompanion who does whatever the script needs instead of having an actual character.

Like her season 7 self though with a few more thrill seeker moments.

I think that's kind of selling short how amazingly confident Clara is in her own abilities. She is probably the only companion who constantly faces danger on her own. She negotiates with the viking god guy, warns the Doctor while trapped in a Zygon pod, and basically solves the murder on her own in Face the Raven.

Series 7 is actually the complete opposite of this because she is constantly clinging to Matt Smith for support. If anything, series 7 to 9 really show how she gradually becomes independent.

And More fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 7, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Clara's adventures in Season 9:

This is building on her adventures last season, in which she managed to not be killed by cybermen for five whole minutes before her boyfriend rescued her replaced the Doctor for an entire episode.

You skipped two of the three examples I gave. You're also skipping the part where Clara faces the Master on her own, and tracks down the Doctor. These are all Doctor-esque moments, even if she doesn't pull it off as well as the Doctor might.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Clara is the Doctor, but it's central to her character that she's trying to be like him. That doesn't make her better than Amy, they are simply different characters.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

At this point I'm not sure if "We can time travel directly into the plot hole" is a direct DW quote or not

I love the idea of the show going full on meta. It could be a spiritual successor to The Angels Take Manhattan in which the Doctor exploits bad writing to save the day.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"Face the Raven"

Series 9, Episode 10

Mine as well call her Thirteen and be done with it.

Why do you insist on planting mines all over your reviews, Occ?

Toxxupation posted:

(…) and metaphorically puts all the chairs on the tables before turning the lights out permanently.

Very teacher-y. I like it.

2house2fly posted:

This series really was pretty lousy. I was going to rewatch along but consistently just couldn't be bothered. The only episodes I've re watched at all are the two ending episodes coming up, and I think the two opening episodes as well. Everything in between, well I could barely sit through some of them the first time. Hopefully Moffat actually uses his year off to write some good stuff and delivers a good series in 2017.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at, as well. The Witch's Familiar is great, Face the Raven is good, and Heaven Sent absolutely owns, but everything in between just feels like fluff. I hope Moffat gives us one more amazing series before Chibnall takes over.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Wrong thread? I'm fairly sure that's an upcoming episode.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

FreezingInferno posted:

I did like the difference between the Doctor's headspace Clara in Heaven Sent being what spurred him to keep being defiant for two billion years, and then the real Clara's reaction of "holy poo poo Doctor what in the gently caress is wrong with you?".

Yeah, that part is what makes Hell Bent amazing. It brings back the self-reflexive aspect of series 8. Clara told the Doctor to win, and he just went nuts with that idea. In his mind, she always expects him to, even if that's absolutely crazy. There's a good bit of Time Lord Victorious in there. It's also a really interesting depiction of how people get emotionally stuck after a traumatic experience. The Doctor's repetitive task has not made him overcome his grief, it has made him stagnate in that moment of loss and denial.

I think the real weak point of the episode is in the first ten minutes. The whole folktale/western framing device is neat, and makes sense after the finale of Heaven Sent. It's just that they forget to mention that the old dude is Rassilon. Kind of a big deal. I was expecting Timothy Dalton to show up, and he never did. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

adhuin posted:

The lord-President did say that he is the Rassilon the resomething at the end of his and doctors confrontation.
They were his last words, before he had to get the hell out of his planet.

I think that's kind of late. Any emotional impact of his tantrum has completely evaporated by that point because he's just some random dude doing evil things for no discernible reason. They should have dropped his name in the first sentence anyone utters to him.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tempo 119 posted:

He's clearly the man in charge whatever his name is

Yeah, it was really cool how the Doctor finally defeated *man in charge*. He is my favourite villain. :rolleyes:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tempo 119 posted:

That's basically the extent of Rassilon's character whether you know his name or not? He represents the establishment and the doctor tells him to gently caress off, what more needs to be shown

Uhm, Rassilon is basically to the Time Lords what Romulus would have been to the Romans.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

computer parts posted:

I think that's basically all you know about Rassilion, at least since 2005.

Are you implying they'll have to play old tapes like they did in The Witch's Familiar if they ever want to remind us?

Soothing Vapors posted:

just admit you guys are mad you didn't get to see Sir Timothy's incredible eyebrows and move on

Fine, I'll admit it. How dare they regenerate Timothy Dalton off-screen into the kindly Maester of Winterfell. :mad:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm sure DocWhat would choose Chimes of Midnight because he isn't a total idiot

Scherzo, you mean.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Batwoman and Starfire are probably the worst things DC editorial has done, but they'd also have absolutely bizarre mandates like this one:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/07/when-batman-sits-down/

I agree with the editor. Everyone knows that Batman has chronic hemorrhoids. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

Oxx and I, we finished Genesis.

Just to be clear - you gave us a good serial, right? Like, considered one of the best of Classic Who's run, right?

I'm fairly sure the thread gave you the most canonically relevant Doctor Who serial they could find. This is not the best Doctor Who serial, but it's probably one of the most important ones. It's also the serial that The Witch's Familiar tries to emulate.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's generally considered to be a solid serial, if a little overrated. It's probably not a great introduction to classic Who though. It's definitely not the one I'd have suggested for you two.

Yeah, The Creature from the Pit, that's the serial they need, and deserve.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, who'd close their eyes while punching somebody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Enourmo posted:

that tweet is a jojo reference, which is just unfair

Jojo is better than.

• Locked thread