Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wow, you are REALLY hot on It Follows huh

I am too but I'm a huge mark for that whole Sofia Coppola-ish melancholy Mitchell hits on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I also loving loved A Separation when I saw it during its theatrical run but it also feels like nobody talks about it anymore, and I'm not sure if that's just the default fate of most foreign films or if I'm otherwise ignorant of contemporary foreign film discussion (probably both).

One film I'm surprised to not have seen mentioned yet:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wow, you are REALLY hot on It Follows huh

why wouldn't I be?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I recall it getting trashed in it's thread here, but I dug the poo poo outta It Follows. Best horror film I've seen in awhile

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I recall it getting trashed in it's thread here, but I dug the poo poo outta It Follows. Best horror film I've seen in awhile

It's really love-hate, it seems. Those who dig it think it's a masterpiece, while everyone else thinks of it as an emperor-has-no-clothes situation.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Criminal Minded posted:

It's really love-hate, it seems. Those who dig it think it's a masterpiece, while everyone else thinks of it as an emperor-has-no-clothes situation.

I thought it was awesome but it would have been even better without the swimming pool climax. Of all the monster movies this one was the least in need of a big bad showdown.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

I thought it was good but besides a couple (really good-looking) parts the movie's kind of exited stage left out of my head.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I thought it was awesome but it would have been even better without the swimming pool climax. Of all the monster movies this one was the least in need of a big bad showdown.

I actually really liked that

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I actually watched it again the other night and loved it even more than I did the first time, but almost in spite of its horror elements. Like, when it's just Maika Monroe running from a deliberate and unseen threat, it's great, but the swimming pool stuff, the fight at the lake, etc. rang false to me. It's so loving good as a melancholy coming-of-age tale, though. Mitchell captured the disaffected melancholy of/nostalgia for my own adolescence better than any other film I've seen so it really resonated with me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think it's the second coming of Nightmare on Elm Street.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I think you need to wait at least 5 years before you can start properly looking back and saying if a movie will endure or not, it's just very difficult to judge in the moment what will have lasting cultural impact and what won't.

Children of Men, as has been mentioned, is an obvious choice. If I had to pick one movie to keep from the decade, it's probably that.

Kill Bill I think is an obvious, singular entry.

Dark Knight and Inception, whether you like them or not, were hugely influential.

Zodiac might not qualify as I feel like it's been kind of forgotten by people, though I still think it's Fincher's best work.

There's an argument to be made for The Incredibles as a notable shift for Pixar in terms of how risky they were willing to get, much more so than their early work.

I'd have said District 9 a couple years ago but Blomkamp's managed to drive that aesthetic into the ground, so maybe not.

(sidenote, looking over the best picture nominees the past decade....yikes, 95% totally forgettable)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Proposition is a movie that I feel should be remembered a lot more than it is. Everything about it comes together perfectly for me, even Hillcoat's direction, which has been strangely all over the place in his later work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

The Proposition is a movie that I feel should be remembered a lot more than it is. Everything about it comes together perfectly for me, even Hillcoat's direction, which has been strangely all over the place in his later work.

I didn't include it on my list of classics but it's close to an all-time favorite of mine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Million Dollar Baby and Gran Turino: Clint Eastwood has always produced consistently interesting work that inspires discussion. Both these are two really emotionally moving films that get at your heart and try to deal with difficult subject matters in two very mature ways. MDB deals with a really difficult moral choice that is dealt with in an unforgettable way. Gran Turino deals with the changing cultural landscape of America, while also tackling subjects like gang violence. They're two very rich films that will have you laughing at times and crying at others. Honestly, they're two of the best films I've ever seen.

Pain and Gain: Michael Bay actually makes a film that's interesting. Really, one of the joys about watching this film is the Rock. He really showcases how he can be a great actor, and he really plays his role as a born-again Christian who can't quite escape his violent tendencies perfectly.

A Most Wanted Man: A great thriller, and really does a great job portraying American foreign policy.

The Martian: I know it's really new, but in the past year, few films had the same popular impact and were pulled off as expertly as the Martian. Great effects, great acting, and a great story. I love it.

The King's Speech: It's a great film featuring two great performances that really focuses on the human relationship of a man who finds himself in extraordinary circumstances. I did try to get a friend to see it by describing it as "A film about a guy who has a speech to give, so he practices really hard, and spoiler alert, he gives it." Also, it does a great job of showing how absurd our rating system is.

Most of Pixar's Films from this Period That Do Not Feature Talking Cars: Pixar is consistently one of the strongest studios out there. Up and Ratatouille were amazing films that are totally worth watching and rewatching.

The Wind Rises: Miyazaki made this film as the one he would do before going into retirement (though he may come out of retirement). It's a tour-de-force of hand-drawn animation, featuring a lot of great images. It is also deals with a difficult story, since it's about building the Zeroes, but they're not afraid to show that Japan's behavior during WWII was unacceptable. But it's not about that. It's about a man who wanted to make planes.

And for some reason, it was mixed into mono.

The OP mentioned Avatar, and I would argue that it's not really a classic. Avatar is almost completely absent from conversations about film. In fact, a lot of people I know really disliked the film. I haven't seen it since it ran in theaters. As a technical achievement, it didn't really do a great job.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agreed with the Mad Max: Fury Road, No Country For Old Men, and Mulholland Dr. love. I like a lot of the other movies mentioned here, like Drive and The Grey, but I don't know that they'll ever reach that "classic" status in the eyes of the general public.

There Will Be Blood is a movie I have a bit of trouble predicting the future of. While it is quite good, and has a very good opening sequence, I've never found the arguments for it to be a masterpiece especially compelling. It's always felt more like a (very good) imitation of one to me, though I've also never really been big into PTA.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

One film I'm surprised to not have seen mentioned yet:

Far and away Fincher's best film, and definitely a modern classic.

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
Zodiac's really great, but I don't think it ever took off outside of film lover circles. Probably more of a cult classic. Fincher-wise I'd probably go for The Social Network over it.

Some others I could see are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pan's Labyrinth, Her and maybe Amour.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ozza posted:

Far and away Fincher's best film
David Fincher directed Far and Away?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Basebf555 posted:

Cabin in the Woods is cleverly executed, I'll give it that. Its a fun, entertaining movie, nothing more.

Ugh yes, don't get me started. I hate when I cough up my ten bucks and all I get is a fun, entertaining movie. It's like... where's the oeuvre, man?!

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

The OP mentioned Avatar, and I would argue that it's not really a classic. Avatar is almost completely absent from conversations about film. In fact, a lot of people I know really disliked the film. I haven't seen it since it ran in theaters. As a technical achievement, it didn't really do a great job.

This is a weird criticism to make since your list consists of a bunch of films that no one really talks about a whole lot outside of this forum, if at all (Pain and Gain? A Most Wanted Man?)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does "classic" have a necessarily positive connotation? Because I think that Transformers: Dark of the Moon very perfectly captures the cultural insanity that was America transitioning from Bush to Obama while the economy falls apart. Like, 50 years from now, if someone were to want to get a feel what it was like in ~2008-2011, it could easily be the go-to movie.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ugh yes, don't get me started. I hate when I cough up my ten bucks and all I get is a fun, entertaining movie. It's like... where's the oeuvre, man?!

The idea is that a "classic" is much, much more than that.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Are we talking about classics in the sense that they'll be well-remembered and acclaimed, or what? Because, merits of the films aside, some of the ones being listed aren't even going to be cult classics.

Ten years is probably too recent of a cutoff to do anything other than guess. If you extend it to 5 years, though, you can see some movies that are well remembered, critically acclaimed, and people still watch them / know about them.

From 2000 to 2005 I would think the following movies are modern classics: Mulholland Dr. (which has become the consensus 'top Lynch film' with Blue Velvet), Royal Tenenbaums (now that Wes Anderson is acclaimed again and we are all fine with his aesthetics), Lost in Translation, In The Mood for Love, City of God (maybe not as much in America, but internationally… though it did get some Oscar nominations), Spirited Away (haven't seen this, tbh), and Memento.

From 2005 to 2010 it's more of a guess. But I think The Dark Knight, There Will Be Blood, Pan's Labyrinth, and No Country for Old Men are still widely popular and more or less 'canon'. I would say Children of Men too, although I think that film is somewhat more likely to be forgotten because of it being neither simply big Hollywood spectacle nor simply serious drama.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Does "classic" have a necessarily positive connotation? Because I think that Transformers: Dark of the Moon very perfectly captures the cultural insanity that was America transitioning from Bush to Obama while the economy falls apart. Like, 50 years from now, if someone were to want to get a feel what it was like in ~2008-2011, it could easily be the go-to movie.

I am sure there is some movie from the 60s that perfectly captures the insanity of that time, but if it's some movie no one even remembers or knows about, we wouldn't really call it a classic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hand Knit posted:

I'll give you that the last 75 minutes of Dark of the Moon comprise probably the best disaster movie of the last 30 years or so, outside of the last hour of Titanic.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I think Katyn should be one, I know it's not a well known movie but it is a modern classic for me.

It looks like an analogue to Schindler's List however the whole movie is very restrained (some might say dry, until the ending) considering the subject material and the fact that the director's father was killed in the massacre too. It's how a movie about human beings being lovely to each other should be made.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

GMEEOORH posted:

Zodiac's really great, but I don't think it ever took off outside of film lover circles. Probably more of a cult classic. Fincher-wise I'd probably go for The Social Network over it.

Some others I could see are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pan's Labyrinth, Her and maybe Amour.

Oh, absolutely Pan's Labyrinth. It's a fabulously beautiful movie. Amélie is gorgeous as well -- with one of my favorite soundtracks -- and I adore the film, but people seem split on whether it's just too sappy for its own good. I don't care, I love it to death. Life of Pi and The Fountain also spring to mind as movies worth seeing simply for the visuals. I think Life of Pi is the first movie I saw where 3D didn't feel like a gimmick, and I'm really happy that's how I saw it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The director should be taken into account, I'd say films like Zodiac and The Fountain are more likely to get the recognition they deserve because of who made them. Even now, when you read articles about Fincher Zodiac is never brought up as a disappointment, its always spoken of very highly as an underrated borderline masterpiece.

Once a director has made a few films that are accepted as great, people are more willing to go back and re-evaluate his/her other stuff. Kingdom of Heaven is a good example; because its Ridley Scott a lot of his fans gave the directors cut the benefit of the doubt, and it turned out to be really worthwhile. In the years to come I don't think we'll see much of a difference in the way Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven are regarded.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is a weird criticism to make since your list consists of a bunch of films that no one really talks about a whole lot outside of this forum, if at all (Pain and Gain? A Most Wanted Man?)

I think I screwed up what I was trying to express.

Many of the other films I listed weren't huge cultural milestones. But Avatar was one of the most successful films in movie theaters. Everybody saw it. Everybody is aware of what the film is about. And yet, culturally, it's dead to us. Most of us don't really talk about it, reference it, or anything like that. It just seems odd that you can make a "must go deeper" joke and people know you're talking about Inception. But how often are you doing something from Avatar?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

As one of the seemingly few people who have not seen Avatar I am very glad it did not turn in to the next Star Wars so I don't have to feel bad about not seeing it in theatres when it first came out.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

piratepilates posted:

As one of the seemingly few people who have not seen Avatar I am very glad it did not turn in to the next Star Wars so I don't have to feel bad about not seeing it in theatres when it first came out.

It's like cotton candy. Fluffy fun in the moment but fully forgettable. I don't know how well it would play at home without a strong setup. The film is a spectacle and the scope of a theater screen really helps the visuals try to overwhelm and immerse you. I saw it on an IMAX screen on a mediocre date. Please don't ask me to remember any of the characters' names or specific scene events.

I feel like Anchorman is somewhat responsible for the increase of "just film enough takes and the actors will come up with something funny"-style psuedo improv movies.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Once a director has made a few films that are accepted as great, people are more willing to go back and re-evaluate his/her other stuff. Kingdom of Heaven is a good example; because its Ridley Scott a lot of his fans gave the directors cut the benefit of the doubt, and it turned out to be really worthwhile.

For my money, Kingdom of Heaven is easily in Scott's top 5, and better than Gladiator in almost every way.

I was also thinking you could make the case for 28 Days Later as popularizing the modern version of the zombie movie ("the infected") that's been prolific since then. And you can make a strong case for 28 Weeks Later, criminally underlooked, as the Aliens to the original's Alien.

Also maybe Minority Report, with it's blown-out white future aesthetic that became prevalent over the decade that followed.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think I screwed up what I was trying to express.

Many of the other films I listed weren't huge cultural milestones. But Avatar was one of the most successful films in movie theaters. Everybody saw it. Everybody is aware of what the film is about. And yet, culturally, it's dead to us. Most of us don't really talk about it, reference it, or anything like that. It just seems odd that you can make a "must go deeper" joke and people know you're talking about Inception. But how often are you doing something from Avatar?

There was a big discussion about this in the "Who Greenlit This" thread recently.

I think that, in general, these big blockbusters from 2000 on that make tons of money aren't really remembered too fondly, if at all. They are just franchises that people kinda care about when they're happening, and stop caring about once they're over. The franchises that 'aren't dead to us' are the ones that are still going. Avatar is just the one movie, so it's easy to forget about it.

There's also a danger of assuming that what we talk about in our inner circles is what most people think. I don't think anyone here references the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, or quotes Jack Sparrow, and the general critical perception of the trilogy was that it ran out of steam real quickly, but then they made a fourth movie without most of the original cast and it made a ton of money (in fact, it's one of the highest grossing movies of all time outside of the U.S.)

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I feel bad that I did see it in theaters when it first came out

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

piratepilates posted:

As one of the seemingly few people who have not seen Avatar

I've never seen Avatar and every time I start to think that maybe I should watch it, I just watch Galaxy of Terror instead and imagine that every interview I saw with Cameron going on about how he was using technology to create the ultimate cinematic experience was him talking about his work on GoT.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There was a big discussion about this in the "Who Greenlit This" thread recently.

I think that, in general, these big blockbusters from 2000 on that make tons of money aren't really remembered too fondly, if at all. They are just franchises that people kinda care about when they're happening, and stop caring about once they're over. The franchises that 'aren't dead to us' are the ones that are still going. Avatar is just the one movie, so it's easy to forget about it.

There's also a danger of assuming that what we talk about in our inner circles is what most people think. I don't think anyone here references the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, or quotes Jack Sparrow, and the general critical perception of the trilogy was that it ran out of steam real quickly, but then they made a fourth movie without most of the original cast and it made a ton of money (in fact, it's one of the highest grossing movies of all time outside of the U.S.)

That said, is Pirates of the Caribbean a modern classic simply for its utility as a teaching tool? "And here we see that Hollywood can potentially turn anything, including an outdated theme park ride, into a blockbuster." I would use Battleship -- the goddamned thing made $300M! -- but the Pirates franchise ultimately grossed over three and a half billion dollars. Ridiculous. And I say that as someone who thought the first one was enjoyable enough.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I really liked the first Pirates but I agree that it didn't make a big impact pop culture wise going forward. At the time it seemed like everyone had a Jack Sparrow voice they'd break into but nowadays the most I hear are occasional comments like, "Hey, remember when that lady turned into a giant pillar of crabs? That was weird."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pirates still seems to have some cultural importance in the sense that I sometimes hear it being quoted and that dressing up as Jack Sparrow is a popular choice for Halloween, but pirate films haven't really caught on in the same way fantasy films did after LotR. I suppose that's mostly because filming at sea is so bloody expensive though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Pirates still seems to have some cultural importance in the sense that I sometimes hear it being quoted and that dressing up as Jack Sparrow is a popular choice for Halloween, but pirate films haven't really caught on in the same way fantasy films did after LotR. I suppose that's mostly because filming at sea is so bloody expensive though.

Well you just hit on it. Everyone loved the Jack Sparrow character but nobody was all that invested in anything else, which Disney of course realized so they kept offering Depp tons of money to come back. There's no way they or anyone else would spend as much as those movies cost without the bankability of Depp behind it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's gonna be avengers, and not one person reading this is going to agree with that right now, but every kid who is 7 right now and is living their entire life soaked in avengers is eventually going to grow up and be adults that get to pick what the most important films are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's gonna be avengers, and not one person reading this is going to agree with that right now, but every kid who is 7 right now and is living their entire life soaked in avengers is eventually going to grow up and be adults that get to pick what the most important films are.

If that's the case then Cars is definitely one of those movies.

• Locked thread