Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I kinda want to let that be the entire OP, but I guess I'll put a little more effort into it. Welcome to the thread for discussing animated movies. This thread is for cartoons you watch in movie theaters. These days that's mostly the big CGI things from Pixar or Dreamworks or whatever but it can also include smaller things and even shorts. TV cartoon chat seeps in once in a while but this isn't really the place for it so try and keep it to a minimum. Here's what's supposedly coming this year that also has a trailer I can post. If I miss anything...I really don't care

Anomalisa Wide release sometime in January
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT6QJaS2a-U
This is already out but it's not in wide release yet. This is a great, great loving movie that you should see. Also features full frontal stop motion nudity if that's your thing.

Norm of the North January 15h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8A_F5oYJGI
This looks not good, though I will admit I haven't even watched the trailer I just posted, nor do I want to. The slogan for the movie is "shake your bear thing" which doesn't even make sense.

Kung Fu Panda 3 January 29th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPPfZIvtCw
The original remains my favorite Dreamworks Animated movie but KFP2 left me pretty cold and this looks uninspiring to me. Still, other people really liked KFP2 and this still looks better than some of the other dreck coming out this year.

Zootopia March 4th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWM0ct-OLsM
Furry derail: the movie. Shut up about furries at least until we see if this movie is good or not. Also holy poo poo look at how smug that loving fox is.

The Little Prince March 18th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPqgSNLfK8
This is already out in some places I believe, but it's not out in the US yet ie the only country that matters :911: Looks great and people have said it is great.

Ratchet and Clank April 29th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWRilQ9lnI
I like the games and find the stories good enough so I hope this is good but I also do not have high hopes.

Angry Birds May 20th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U2DKKqxHgE
Oh, gently caress off

Finding Dory June 17th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JNLwlcPBPI
Pixar continues making sequels to everything. I love Finding Nemo so I hope this is good but I am wary for obvious reasons.

the Secret Life of Pets July 8th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-80SGWfEjM
A non-Despicable Me movie from the makers of that movie that actually looks sort of alright to me. Not great but it would be nice if they went back to making pleasant unremarkable movies.

Ice Age: Collision Course July 22nd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmm1JhygIo
So they're apparently still making these. I'll be damned.

Kubo and the Two Strings August 19th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1F8VJZgrk
Okay, so Boxtrolls was pretty awful but hopefully Laika will go back to being great now. This looks amazing and man do I hope it's amazing but man...Boxtrolls? Real bad.

Storks September 23rd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF6jd0-xRrI
I'm gonna be honest, I haven't even watched this trailer. From what I've heard this was not a bad choice.

That's all I can really find that has a trailer. Other things apparently coming out next year: A Troll Doll Movie, The Nut Job 2, A movie about Animal Crackers, a Ninjago movie and Disney has a Hawaiian princess movie. I think that about covers it. Hopefully this shall be a good year of cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this gonna be the furriest year ever for animated movies? :getin:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
woo Kubo and the Two Strings!

woo 2016...

woo...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
2016: The smuggest foxes, the angriest birds, the most epic posts.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I read the whole OP and I agree, how the hell are there more Ice Age movies? Haven't they ended the Ice Age like three times?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love animation and I am excited for good animation. I am cautiously optimistic about Kung Fu Panda 3.

Animal Crackers, well, when that comes out expect the Zootopia argument x10000.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't know there was a new Ice Age movie. Lmao.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

mycot posted:

I read the whole OP and I agree, how the hell are there more Ice Age movies? Haven't they ended the Ice Age like three times?

The Ice Age movies consistently pull in at least $800 million in box office. That's why they keep making them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another sequel from Pixar aside, Finding Dory is gonna be SO PRETTY and that's really all I need out of that movie

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm honsetly more confused that they're making a sequel to The Nut Job than I am about another Ice Age Sequel

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I wonder if BOO should will be coming out this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.O.O.:_Bureau_of_Otherworldly_Operations
The wiki sort of indicates the fate of it is less positive than I'd originally thought, but I'm wondering if they're waiting until the Ghostbusters word of mouth to start given McCarthy and Murray. If it was far enough in development, I could see them maybe pushing it out to release it to coincide with GB home video release so that the stars can do the talkshow circuit and pull double duty to talk up that on video and BOO in theaters.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

I'm honsetly more confused that they're making a sequel to The Nut Job than I am about another Ice Age Sequel

Literally all I remember from the first one was that they used Gangnam Style for their trailers and end credits. The fact that I remember it at all is yet more surprising.

Also, why are all the video game movies coming out at once? Angry Birds, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper are all lined up for this year, which I find weird because there just isn't that large an audience for video game to movie adaptations. Two of those movies are being made by the same studio, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also, why are all the video game movies coming out at once? Angry Birds, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper are all lined up for this year, which I find weird because there just isn't that large an audience for video game to movie adaptations. Two of those movies are being made by the same studio, too.

There was some impetus around 2012-2013 to begin development on them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of liked The Nut Job, but I wished it had been more balanced between the gangsters and the animals and played up more like a classic WB cartoon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm also still upset about Boxtrolls.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Does the emoji movie come out in 2016? I remember reading that there was a movie starring emojis coming out, and also another studio was producing a competing emoji movie to beat 'em to the punch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mycot posted:

Much like the Land that will forever be Before Time, the Ice Age will only end when it stops being profitable.

Speaking of which, prepare for another one of them sumbitches to hit a Walmart bargain bin near you this February!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
eagerly awaiting them to scrap that one and make Land Before Time XIV: A REALM REBORN

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I wonder if BOO should will be coming out this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.O.O.:_Bureau_of_Otherworldly_Operations
The wiki sort of indicates the fate of it is less positive than I'd originally thought, but I'm wondering if they're waiting until the Ghostbusters word of mouth to start given McCarthy and Murray. If it was far enough in development, I could see them maybe pushing it out to release it to coincide with GB home video release so that the stars can do the talkshow circuit and pull double duty to talk up that on video and BOO in theaters.

I'm under the impression that this doesn't exist anymore. Which is a shame, I saw some very early concept work at Comic-Con about a year and a half ago, it looked and sounded interesting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pick posted:

Animal Crackers, well, when that comes out expect the Zootopia argument x10000.
Yeah that movie is something you find on Deviantart within two clicks

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The new Ice Age film has Neil deGrasse Tyson playing Neil deBuck Weasel and my loving god these assholes couldn't even put the effort into a real pun!
Also the new Laika film is p. obviously in some sort of Asian setting with only one main Asian lead voice actor. Boy will that discussion be great when it comes up :allears:

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 5, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The new Ice Age film has Neil deGrasse Tyson playing Neil deBuck Weasel and my loving god these assholes couldn't even put the effort into a real pun!

Actually, Neil, I think you'll find that it's scientifically impossible for a weasel to talk in real life.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Actually now that I think about it Neil deGrasse Tyson kind of sounds like I.M. Weasel...
Vaguely tying back to the my aforementioned voice actors jab, how necessary are celebrity voice actors to a theatrical release? Like I understand that the issue is a matter of contention among dudes like Billy West and other prolific voice actors (by which I mean anyone who almost does the job exclusively).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Actually now that I think about it Neil deGrasse Tyson kind of sounds like I.M. Weasel...
Vaguely tying back to the my aforementioned voice actors jab, how necessary are celebrity voice actors to a theatrical release? Like I understand that the issue is a matter of contention among dudes like Billy West and other prolific voice actors (by which I mean anyone who almost does the job exclusively).

It easier to market an animated film, if a well known and recognizable personality is attached. You don't get to see voice actors' faces very often, and they often play a wider variety of roles, so its harder for marketers to target a certain demographic with one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Was Boxtrolls that bad? I saw it over the holidays and thought it was alright, just not as good as Paranorman.

I went to a "making of" talk with the guys who did the stop motion scenes for The Little Prince. I can confirm at least those scenes look amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boxtrolls is visually stunning but the script is worse than most B-grade animated films (e.g. Escape from Planet Earth).

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

raditts posted:

Much like the Land that will forever be Before Time, the Ice Age will only end when it stops being profitable.

Speaking of which, prepare for another one of them sumbitches to hit a Walmart bargain bin near you this February!

My favorite thing about that is seeing that they're only on the 14th one. I would have guessed 20th.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Kung Fu Panda 2 was unremarkable but it did feature the coolest Gary Oldman peacock villain ever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and Land Before Time sequels. :sigh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I went off on a long tangent about Boxtrolls in the last thread because I thought that'd help me sort out my disappointment and contempt.
But no, I can still feel my heart clench when I think of it. :suicide:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There is something about the fact that there is going to be such a thing as an Angry Birds that fills me with glee.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is something about the fact that there is going to be such a thing as an Angry Birds that fills me with glee.

there's been about 86 episodes in their tv series that are generally good to excellent in art and writing, if the same people are involved (?) then it should be fun.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

starkebn posted:

there's been about 86 episodes in their tv series that are generally good to excellent in art and writing, if the same people are involved (?) then it should be fun.

My favorite is the one with the huge singing pig, I think it's called El Porko? :3

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 5, 2016

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I went off on a long tangent about Boxtrolls in the last thread because I thought that'd help me sort out my disappointment and contempt.
But no, I can still feel my heart clench when I think of it. :suicide:

At least Kubo looks pretty cool and interesting, I've got my hopes back up for that one! I haven't really much liked anything Laika's output since Coraline, which bums me out because I both adore Coraline and love stop motion.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Kung Fu Panda 2 was unremarkable but it did feature the coolest Gary Oldman peacock villain ever.

Gah so great. If only the movie itself had been better. The animation on him is absolutely fantastic.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Can someone articulate why exactly do you not consider KFP2 good? Because I liked it a lot and wish to expand my understanding of cinema.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked KFP2 more than the first one too. I thought it had better action scenes, I loved the big chase through the city, the big fight on the tower,etc, and I would easily put Lord Shen in a top 5 animated villains list (Ursula is #1 obviously)

And the cannonball scene at the end. Ugh IT'S SO GOOD!! The entire end fight is good but the cannonball part especially

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I liked KFP2 more than the first one too. I thought it had better action scenes, I loved the big chase through the city, the big fight on the tower,etc, and I would easily put Lord Shen in a top 5 animated villains list (Ursula is #1 obviously)

And the cannonball scene at the end. Ugh IT'S SO GOOD!! The entire end fight is good but the cannonball part especially

I know right?
The only criticism of that I can think of is that it's sort of cheesy but if you don't like cheese why are you even watching Kung Fu Panda?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I went to a "making of" talk with the guys who did the stop motion scenes for The Little Prince. I can confirm at least those scenes look amazing.

They do indeed. The problem is that there's not nearly enough of it in the movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

top 5 animated villains list (Ursula is #1 obviously)
1. The mean rat from Mouse Detective
2. Whoever was the villain in Hunchback of Notre Dame 2
3. Riley (Inside out)
4. NIMH
5. Littlefoot's Mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

raditts posted:

On the one hand, is that a Yutyrannus!?! :aaaaa:

On the other hand, everything else. But especially the incredibly awkward Reba McIndactyl.

• Locked thread