Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I haven't seen KFP in a while but I generally don't like stories where the protagonist is just a gently caress up until he finally learns how to not gently caress up, so maybe that's why I feel like KFP2 is better (he still fails a bunch in that movie, but it's because of trauma).

I feel one of the strengths of KFP is that the narrative isn't so much of that of a gently caress up, but of someone who has never had expectations placed on him that fit who he is. Shifu fucks up and learns way more than Po in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I would agree that the big emotional arc in KFP is Shifu's. And that's emphasized by the fact that Tai Lung is only personally meaningful to Shifu (and to a lesser degree Tigress). Whereas in KFP2, Lord Shen is definitely specifically Po's enemy.

When I think of the two strongest emotional moments in KFP, they're Tigress reflecting on how she never received the warmth that Tai Lung did, and Shifu admitting that he had (accidentally) set Tai Lung up to fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltbzLZHIK4I

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 6, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will admit, the one thing that really bothers me about KFP is that there was no reason to have denied Tai Lung the scroll once they knew what it contained. It always makes it weird after a certain juncture. Especially since the ending crawl shows Po showing it to loving everyone anyway.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
IIRC Oogway always knew what it contained and denied it to Tai Lung anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

broken clock opsec posted:

IIRC Oogway always knew what it contained and denied it to Tai Lung anyway.

Yep, which again is kind of baffling.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's not baffling at all. The scroll shows you yourself. The true power is within you. What true power was within Tai Lung? Pride and rage. That's what he would have drawn upon, had he actually come to understand the scroll's lesson.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weren't the talking household objects in Beauty And The Best supposed to originally have been the Beast's house workers that he had turned into said household objects? Cause in that case, Gaston still edges out the Beast.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

I haven't seen KFP in a while but I generally don't like stories where the protagonist is just a gently caress up until he finally learns how to not gently caress up, so maybe that's why I feel like KFP2 is better (he still fails a bunch in that movie, but it's because of trauma).

Yeah, I think this is why I like KFP2 more than 1, myself. You can watch the first movie and see Po as an outsider, he doesn't belong even within his own movie, like the main antagonist doesn't know who he is and doesn't care about him at all, right up until his defeat, compared to the second movie which is the exact opposite, Po does belong, he has friends who believe in him and help him, the main antagonist is well aware of who he and is specifically set-up to be Po's arch-nemesis, and while he still fucks up it's because he's still learning, not because he's a big dumb panda lol.

... I kinda wanna go watch these movies again. Maybe I'll do it before seeing KFP3.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weren't the talking household objects in Beauty And The Best supposed to originally have been the Beast's house workers that he had turned into said household objects? Cause in that case, Gaston still edges out the Beast.

It wasn't the Beast that turned them into objects, it was the same fairy that turned the Beast into a, uh, beast. Why she felt that the servants deserved to be punished for their master's actions is something we may never find out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

It wasn't the Beast that turned them into objects, it was the same fairy that turned the Beast into a, uh, beast. Why she felt that the servants deserved to be punished for their master's actions is something we may never find out.

It's sort of implied that their lives are merely in stasis (and for all we know, they would have eventually reverted even if the Beast did not). Otherwise, Chip would have to have been conceived as a cup, and none of the objects have apparent genitals or the capacity for viviparous or oviparous reproduction.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Pick posted:

It's sort of implied that their lives are merely in stasis (and for all we know, they would have eventually reverted even if the Beast did not). Otherwise, Chip would have to have been conceived as a cup, and none of the objects have apparent genitals or the capacity for viviparous or oviparous reproduction.

Does that go against the idea that the beast got cursed for turning away the fairy when he was like, an obnoxious 12 year old? I was always kind of fond of that one because I think it fits well with the arc of him maturing into an adult in the way he treats other people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's shown as 11 or so in the sequel (The Enchanted Christmas) probably to make his age similar to Belles in absolute terms (otherwise, what, is he nearly 40?) but honestly I think in his portrait and the stained glass he looks like a late teen at the absolute youngest, and frankly so severely punishing an 11 year old (orphan?) for being a twat seems pretty excessive.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Fairies, man. They have just enough understanding of right and wrong to mess everything up.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 6, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sounds like Beast and Gaston are both small fry compared to that sick loving fairy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beauty and the Beast 3: Tinkerbelle's Revenge.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Fairies, man. They have just enough understanding of right and wrong to mess everything up.

Don't even get me started on loving Sleeping Beauty. Goddamned idiot fairies

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Pick posted:

They reproduce by putting a bun in Ms. Oven.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ninjahedgehog posted:

Sounds like Beast and Gaston are both small fry compared to that sick loving fairy.

Not to mention, if he was 11 at the time, she's counting down the clock for romantic love from then? That's loving gross.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
'The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart.'

No poo poo, enchantress, have you ever met an eleven year old? Did you not go to middle school? Eleven year olds run on Lord of the Flies style savagery, they're basically not even humans yet. That enchantress is lucky the prince didn't have his friends hold her down so he could fart on her head.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can see the thing - where if the Fairy really was an old woman, the Prince turning her away was a death sentence as it was the middle of winter - only a beast would let a helpless old woman freeze like that.

but Fairies have and always been masters of disproportionate retribution for wrongs

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
According to Waking Sleeping Beauty, there was a deleted opening where the beast was running around making havoc as the castle as a kid. They cut it because it was too silly and reminded everyone of Eddie Munster.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I was a perfectly well-behaved eleven-year-old.
Beast deserved it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Corek posted:

According to Waking Sleeping Beauty, there was a deleted opening where the beast was running around making havoc as the castle as a kid. They cut it because it was too silly and reminded everyone of Eddie Munster.

Hmmm this kid's being kind of a dickhead... i got a solution: dog legs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Another movie not on the OP is Moana which has non climbed to my must see list because its going to have a song sung by the Rock :allears:
https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/684774602808102912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also must see because Polynesian mythology is rad as gently caress

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mentioned it in the OP :colbert: just not very much because it doesn't have a trailer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I saw The Little Prince in China, not knowing anything about it before hand or even knowing it was based on a book. Its pretty good and I like the mix of animation styles, but I thought it was almost a little too heavy handed with the emotional parts.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Pick posted:

Hmmm this kid's being kind of a dickhead... i got a solution: dog legs.

gotta give her points for creativity.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

I can see the thing - where if the Fairy really was an old woman, the Prince turning her away was a death sentence as it was the middle of winter - only a beast would let a helpless old woman freeze like that.

but Fairies have and always been masters of disproportionate retribution for wrongs

Yeah, in spite of the common Tinkerbell conception, fairies are huge loving assholes in Celtic lore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, in spite of the common Tinkerbell conception, fairies are huge loving assholes in Celtic lore.

"In spite of"? Tinkerbell's a jerk.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Didn't Tinkerbell try to drown Wendy through inaction or did I just make that up?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mycot posted:

Didn't Tinkerbell try to drown Wendy through inaction or did I just make that up?

You're probably thinking of when Tiger Lily had nearly drowned because of hook, but Tinkerbell did trick the Lost Boys into shooting at Wendy and got her jealousy used against her into revealing Peter Pan's lair.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

You're probably thinking of when Tiger Lily had nearly drowned because of hook, but Tinkerbell did trick the Lost Boys into shooting at Wendy and got her jealousy used against her into revealing Peter Pan's lair.

I'm trying to think of where exactly I got that idea but there's like a dozen grimdark versions of Peter Pan. It's probably a distant second to Alice in Wonderland in that respect.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

mycot posted:

I'm trying to think of where exactly I got that idea but there's like a dozen grimdark versions of Peter Pan. It's probably a distant second to Alice in Wonderland in that respect.
The mermaids act like asses to Wendy and one makes the comment along the line of 'We were just playing, we were only going to drown her' or some such.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Tinkerbell's not the only lovely person in the original.

quote:

The boys on the island vary, of course, in numbers, according as they get killed and so on; and when they seem to be growing up, which is against the rules, Peter thins them out; but at this time there were six of them, counting the twins as two.
I view a lot of that story as a cautionary tale about the dangers of not growing up, because Peter's childlike attitude towards things is often destructive. There's a bit or two about how sometimes when he's fighting the pirates with the lost boys he'd switch sides and start attacking the boys instead for fun. Really just kind of a murderous prick because he doesn't have a developed sense of empathy.

It's not official and probably not intentional, but honestly I really dig the idea that the pirates are escaped lost boys who grew up.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 7, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IronicDongz posted:

It's not official and probably not intentional, but honestly I really dig the idea that the pirates are escaped lost boys who grew up.

Career prospects in Neverland are pretty slim

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Honestly, the new Geico ads with Peter Pan being a dick at a high school reunion fit the original character better than a ton of other adaptations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chieves posted:

Honestly, the new Geico ads with Peter Pan being a dick at a high school reunion fit the original character better than a ton of other adaptations.

My favorite joke in that ad is that he says the woman looks no older than 70, but they're at the (presumably high school) reunion of 1965. In other words, she's like 68 tops.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
there's a trailer for the English dub of Only Yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSKk-wwLsY

also really curious to rewatch all the old Ice Age movies now, I loved the first one when I was a kid.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I just watched The Good Dinosaur.

I did not expect Pixar to make a movie about finding Jesus and saying 'nah gently caress that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

there's a trailer for the English dub of Only Yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSKk-wwLsY

Finally moved to an area where they're playing this in theaters, might have to hit it up this weekend. It's one of the only Ghibli movies I haven't seen. I hear amazing things about this one so I'm surprised I haven't, is this really the first English dub?

• Locked thread