Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Noah, no, please, sit back down at the desk, sit down there, standing up and annoucing whats coming up next, your making me associate the daily show with the nightly show, and I don't want that to happen.

This and the change of the theme song for some reason really irked me. That old theme was the last holdover from the old, old guard: Kilborn. I still cant help singing the theme with the lyrics Bill Murray so painstakingly wrote.

Also, I noticed that Trevor's interviews are all sweet and no sour. I mean to say he is ALWAYS in love with or honored by his guest in a fanboy way. I know he's trying to sell stuff but at least Jon was a little critical of some of his guests. His Yakov Smirnoff gags are running thin too. I know its crazy here in the USA... but in Africa its craaaaazy. Here's to him honing his craft this year- Rome wasn't built in a day.... but in Africa something something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Supposedly there's another thinkpiece going around asking why people don't like Trevor Noah.

I read someone else commenting on it, but didn't click on it myself. I think it also argues that The Nightly Show is better, which is a rather.... unpopular opinion to say the least.

Could it be Slate's piece?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2016/01/why_america_isn_t_paying_attention_to_the_daily_show_with_trevor_noah_in.html

"..I am the exact kind of person the new Daily Show is targeting...yet I have found The Daily Show milquetoast and broad, diverting in the soothing way I associate with the Jimmys of network late night. On Trevor Noah’s Daily Show, outrages are an occasion for bemused laughter, not righteously funny indignation." - Willa Paskin, Slate Person

That's right folks, milquetoast, bemused and righteous funny indignation. We're through the looking glass people.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the article is dead-on on Noah's current lack of influence. There IS a Daily Show sized hole in our culture.

I tried filling it with Colbert's new show and it was fuckawful and had as much bite as a midline Kimmel monologue.

Seth Meyer's a pretty good Relief Pitcher though; I just started watching his show and it has far more insight that SNL ever did.

The article also found one issue where Wilmore clearly had a smarter more nuanced take than Noah. Wilmore is great when its an issue he cares about - but that's all too rare.

I've seen every episode of Colbert's new show and, yeah, I 100% agree there's no more teeth as far as political commentary. But, in Stephen's case, he's got the Late Show now. Its not the same political beast that the Colbert Report was. I look at it in terms of David Letterman. Is Stephen better than that guy? I think so.

Larry Wilmore is really passionate about civil rights, unfairness, and nerd culture. When Nightly began it was a lil' clunky with the Keep it 100 segment being drawn out too long but I think it's figured its self out segment -wise. He really does get invested, it seems. Ricky Valez, though.... gently caress that guy. Not funny. Not clever. Nope.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I'm curious to see how the industry/peers see TDS now. Its been nominated for and won plenty of Emmys. They've even got a couple Peabody awards. Will the trend continue with Noah? Shouldn't it, since they have most of all the writers still on staff? With an election year like this one its kinda hard not to write some biting social commentary worthy of accolades.

• Locked thread