Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I understand that Noah is meeting the impossible heights of Stewart's All Time Best years.

But where else am I going to go for a funny, informative, left-of-center take on headlines? Young Turks is way too liberal and sanctimonious for my personal tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That Sanders puff piece was not very good. At all.

No real insight or analysis, reheated jokes... ugh.

And I liked Monday's show, weirdly enough.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Colbert did a bit about the Bernie Sanders folk album literally months ago.

And don't get me wrong, I rarely watch Colbert at all these days.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I switched on Colbert on Friday eager to see handling of the republican debate.

It was a two minute segment and the entirety was a riff on "master debator."

Har har har.

loving awful dreeck.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I also want to point out that Seth Meyers is experiencing the opposite of Colbert. Whereas Colbert's show feels increasingly boxed in and walled off from insightful political humor, Seth Meyers has really taken advantage of the freedom his timeslot his.

I was never a big fan of his weekend update material, but he's done a VERY good job of covering the race.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'll never forget my US history high school teacher getting into a big row with another student in 2004.

Kid was some punkass idiot who said he was an "anarchist" and tried to prove it by wearing a big metal confederate flag belt buckle.

And whenever anyone would give him poo poo, he'd throw on his best "actually..." smug face and lecture us on what the symbol REALLY meant.

Our teacher finally tore into him after the pissant tried to hijack a lecture. And I remember my teacher telling him very calmly "It doesn't matter what the symbol really means. What matters is that people perceive you to sympathize with the south's legacy of slavery. I'm not saying you support that, son. I'm telling you what message you're sending to everyone who sees that belt buckle."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the article is dead-on on Noah's current lack of influence. There IS a Daily Show sized hole in our culture.

I tried filling it with Colbert's new show and it was fuckawful and had as much bite as a midline Kimmel monologue.

Seth Meyer's a pretty good Relief Pitcher though; I just started watching his show and it has far more insight that SNL ever did.

The article also found one issue where Wilmore clearly had a smarter more nuanced take than Noah. Wilmore is great when its an issue he cares about - but that's all too rare.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The first bit on the election was pretty decently done - nothing earth shattering but strong enough.

And then the Cheng piece. gently caress me gently, I haven't seen a sketch sour so quickly. The second he went from "hey this is some hosed up government bullshit" to Tired Dad Jokes I cringed.

Is there someone who finds his Daddy Never Loved Me schtick funny? Like, anywhere?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regardless of reparations, Sanders' support among minorities is gently caress-awful.

Its why he's able to poll reasonably close to Clinton in lily-white Iowa and New Hamsphire, but is going to get Berned in Nevada (Clinton has a 30% lead) and South Carolina (40%).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There was a bit they did an episode or two ago that covered the Iowa caucus that nearly made me quit the show.

The whole "the media isn't covering politics correctly, because they're reporting that Marco Rubio won when he came in third!" thing.

You loving idiots, primaries are all about perceptions and demographics.

It was just so goddamn tone deaf, pretending to be this deep dive on "The Media" framing an issue wrong, when instead it came off like the writers don't understand how to read basic goddamn demographics.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Roy Wood Jr is keeping me watching. Trevor is fine, I guess. There's just far, far more clunkers than there ever was before.

They often go for "bemused outsider" and end up at "ignorant newbie" too often.

I'm mainly just sad that we have the richest political election for humor and there's no one knocking it out of the park.

Colbert did a Hunger Games riff on Iowa that had more trenchant commentary about the hunger games than anything political. Oliver shows little interest in following elections, international or otherwise. Noah is all over the map.

Really, Seth Meyer has consistently done a better job deploying barbed commentary than anyone else.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTB-iuez-Mg

That, to me, is a fairly solid indictment of Trump. His opening monologues are at least 60% or so political, and there's a 50/50 chance that the next segment also covers politics.

Its still light and fluffy, but he's done a much better job of covering the election than anyone else.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just thought that the daily show is struggling right now, and is clearly trying to figure itself out. I'm still watching, because there are bits and moments that really sing - and in a way that Stewart never could.The Cam Newton vs Manning piece was super strong, for instance.

I just think the show falls down when it tries to cover the horse race of 2016, and hasn't quite cracked that egg yet.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Noah's done some savvy bits on pop culture and race.

I just hate his framing of the 2016 race. Its just softer and far less informed than Bee or Meyers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last Week Tonight hardly covers the 2016 election, though. I admire Oliver's journalistic focus, but I miss the day-to-day riffing on the campaigns.

Or hell, I'd love to see someone delve into how completely hosed the caucus systems are.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Noah has been on point lately. I still think the election coverage is a bit over-obvious (finding the base definition of fascism and then illustrating with Trump clips), but there's at least a coherent viewpoint emerging.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Catching up on TDS and Trevor's had a good run of episodes. Except Cheng remains ruthlessly unfunny. That bit about interfaiths took a good concept, found the easiest angle, an drove it straight into the ground for seven straight minutes.

I've been with the daily show since 2005. Cheng might be the first correspondent I entirely skip whenever he pops up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been very hard on Trevor Noah, harder than I honestly thought I'd be.

But everything about the Graham interview and pool table segment was great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did not know people don't like Michelle Wolf. Her bit on presidental spouses was outstanding.

Her humor kinda works as a broader variant of the sort of chemistry Schaal used to bring. She's easily the best addition to the cast since Roy Wood.

Cheng is still nigh unwatchable, and I hate that they're giving him great topics for field pieces (contested conventions!) and then they're just trickled out into nothingness.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In other news, I think Noah has been doing a solid job with TDS. Sam Bee has certainly stolen most of the thunder, but I still use TDS as my reliable dose of political comedy. John Oliver has evolved a great deal in the past year too, but I'm not sure what to make of his Public Interest News-You-Can-Use schtick.

Also if you haven't seen it, Meyers lit into Trump as bluntly as I've ever seen. He banned Trump from the show and Trump of course responded.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey now, Totally Biased had its moments. The move to a daily format killed it though. That workload is not a light one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Noah's been interesting in that the show seems to miss easy marks but get great mileage out of different places. Their RNC coverage was very mediocre, whereas the coverage of the DNC (and contrast to Trump) was very strong indeed.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The major thing I miss from a year ago was Colbert's focus on academics and intellectuals. My booklist was always full of authors he brought on and bantered with.

So it was bizarre when Wilmore's panels seemed to deliberately exclude academic voices.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arnold did a whole lot of bad things for California, but he also pushed for redistricting that now allows California and Jerry Brown to actually get poo poo done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I spent the last year working to elect Hillary, and the one upshot is that I finally have time to get caught up on TDS.

Man, that halloween skit episode that you guys panned? Plays very differently now.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 14, 2016

• Locked thread