Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The songfighting is particularly ridiculous, and I'm curious if they'll try to explain why it's a good idea to jump around outside of any sort of vehicle, and why, given that it is apparently a good idea, they bother with the dogfighting. I'd be OK with them asking the audience to just roll with it, though, I'm in this for the spectacle, I think.

I think they've already done a pretty good job of demonstrating it without spelling it out to be honest. They're basically a first response unit and an emergency service against a new type of emergency: var attacks. So they patrol in variable fighters that allow them to cover large distances in short order to deploy where they're needed as fast as possible along with a rack of drones that can be recharged on the fly by one of the variable fighters. Their song only has a limited range that appears to cover perhaps a kilometer squared or so, and within that range only appears to act as a mild pacifying measure that basically just stops the enemy actively attacking and confuses them a bit, with the effect growing weaker the further out they are so they have to get up literally right in the face of the enemy like that one Zentradi Mikumo decultured if they want to completely cure them on the spot. Outside of that it was actually the variable fighters taking down the other enemies, and they weren't putting up much resistance thanks to Walkure's song.

So Walkure being on foot seems to serve a couple of purposes. Seeing a bunch of idols hopping around the place is much less terrifying that seeing just a poo poo load of planes blasting around, especially when they're able to transform a battlefield in to a concert since it makes people feel safer automatically to have all that light and sound and fun going on around them. The idols can also act as a ground force using the drones with a much better ground level view of events to protect and assist civilians that are in trouble while keeping them distracted and stopping them from panicking. Meanwhile, Delta squad give them a birds-eye view of events so that they have a more complete picture of what's going on around them. By being on foot it's also a lot easier for them to get up close and personal with any enemies suffering from var syndrome if need be to neutralize them immediately instead of taking their machines out and then neutralizing them later. It all works fine so long as the girls accept that their lives are at risk by doing so, which is the case for any emergency worker anyways. It's also not like they're going in to things unprotected anyways, given that they have a poo poo load of drones to act as protection, rocket skirts and probably other poo poo we've not yet seen to keep them safe.

Outside of that the planes also seem to double as part of the concert, deploying lights, smoke and hologram projectors (outside of the drones) that help make the experience more overwhelming, both for the var syndrome sufferers and the civilians within the area. They can also be used for shoulder surfing as Mikumo demonstrated.

What else would they need to do to explain it really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It better not be Chuck Mustang. He's got a Tomino name that's as awesome as hell and he's actually a pretty cool guy by the look of his design and his...one line? so far. I want him to live.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

a kitten posted:

I'm curious to see what the windemere thing is all about, since the badguy squad also seems to have the dealies in their hair like Freyja does; although theirs are cross, rather than heart-shaped.

Well one of them has a drop shaped hair thing, so they could just come in all sorts of shapes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

a kitten posted:

Oh, i'm sure they do. It's not the shapes i'm curious about, more that the entire Bad Team has them while no one ('til Freyja) has them on the Good Team. At least as far as i can tell.

Well that was my point, one of the bad guys doesn't have a star shaped one, but a tear drop shaped one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, Kawamori has expressed annoyance at not being able to do simultaneous streams of new Macross like new Gundam shows can - so this might be his work around. Not that it's likely to work without (a) a lot of attention being drawn to it and (b) a saner price and amount of content than Japan usually goes for.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did they refer to Fire Bomber or the Songbirds as that? Cause they probably should have.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MJP posted:

Is it just me or is the interplay between Freyja and Hayate really refreshing? They aren't all shy and all that garbage, they sass each other, it seems like a natural down-to-earth tone between them.

I like it, but I think Sheryl and Alto had a lot of the same tone personally, becuase Sherly constantly teased Alto about their attraction and how he didn't deserve her and poo poo. It's a good chunk of the reason I liked them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Miranda is her mom according to some TV interview I think. And that's Komilia that's being tossed if I recall.

Also, if Mirage's mom is one of Max and Millia's kids, and she is, then Mylene is her aunt by default.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

Also good luck declaring war on a literal galactic empire.

I find that part interesting, since I can't think of any other empires spanning multiple galaxies in fiction. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know of them. That fold wave tech is serious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Holographic projection tech in this setting is pretty badass. That's actually one of the milder applications.

Those fancy costumes the idols are wearing, for instance? They're not real, they're holographic projections over skin-tight bodysuits (and presumably personal jetpacks as well). Sheryl pioneered the technique in Macross Frontier. Unlimited costumes for a minimal budget with zero chance of wardrobe malfunctions on even the strangest, least practical outfits.

The holographic tech has to be even better than that, because in episode 3 Walkure put a costume on Freyja and she can't have been wearing a skin tight bodysuit since she thought she failed. Which means it's so small and ubiquitous that it's everywhere and they just networked her outfit to change it or something. Which is insane. Not unexpected though I suppose since this is a setting where even a moderately successful family like Chuck's can have a holographic tv and treat it like nothing, where a dance studio can have all the walls, the ceiling and the floor hooked up as a virtual space and where pilots can holographically disguise their pilot suit so as to appear to not be wearing a helmet if they wish.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well I was speaking of the Aerial Knights, who appear to have helmets, but disguise them with holographic technology. Hayate has his own issues though yea, and Reina's demo was cute.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That kind of describes Basara too. It even kind of describes the lead in Zero really, considering he didn't care about any of his co-pilots and just piloted however he wanted at the beginning. I guess Kawamori just likes that kind of character.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

That was a really great episode. Messer revealing that he's intentionally playing Bad Cop instead of just being a huge toolbox makes him an instantly more likeable character, more Space Magic Music, and Hayate and Mirage actually developing a relationship besides "Hayate does something stupid, Mirage gets mad" are all excellent things.

I don't think it made a huge difference to be honest, cause he's still just as stiff and formal with everyone else that he's not trying to make a better pilot. Arad and Kaname tried to be nice to him after that reveal and he just stone-walled them and walked off. There's presumably something bad in his backstory, but until it's revealed he's still a tool to me. I was more interested in what caused the scarring on Windermere and the fact that the Prince seemed to be singing at ruins on another planets for some reason. Also, Keith seems far more invested in making this war a personal matter and killing people than anyone else.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

a kitten posted:

I hope it's Minmei.

The SDF-1 was lost en-route to the center of the Galaxy. Not destroyed necessarily - it literally up and disappeared, getting lost. It's not likely to be found either with Minmei's VA not having any real love for the role and Hikaru's having commit suicide.

Lady M is more likely to be Mylene if it's a previously featured character. That said, I don't recall Mikumo being referred to as Lady M, but I could easily have forgotten it. She doesn't make sense to me though, since she never acts in command of even Walkure (that's Kaname), never mind Delta Squad too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

ruins the prince was singing to looked like the alien artifact room on Windermere itself, so I would bet they're some kind of relay stations for the Var Control Song.

The subs list it as being on Planet Airberl when you see it, so I doubt it's on the same planet. I note that there's also a planet Alfheim mentioned on the starmap at the start of the episode, which seems auspicious in a show with a Walkure.

trucutru posted:

Are we watching the same show? because I am pretty sure that she always acts in command (because she is).

We mustn't be, because Kaname is in command of them. It's literally in her job description on the official site among other things. Mikumo is the lead singer, but Kaname is the leader of Walkure. It's why Mikumo is hoofing it around investigating stuff in episode one for instance, while Kaname is in the command center with Arad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lestaki posted:

Kaname is the captain and Mikumo is the ace. Of the two, the ace is more important and everyone knows it, since the ability to use space magic when you sing is the point of Walkure, and so Mikumo floats around and speaks as if she's above everyone else. Kaname is the leader in a formal sense and coordinates with the bridge, but Mikumo takes the lead in practice and on stage.

Yes, but the lead singer and lead in band practice isn't the one leading, which is what my point was. And if she's not even leading Walkure, she's unlikely to be giving orders to Walkure and Delta Squadron. Also, it's apparently common practice for idols bands to have a different leader and lead singer, hence why Kawamori did it on both shows.

I must be blind, I don't see Millia at all, just Mirage, Mylene and Freyja.

Edit: Oh, there's a tiny bit of a screencap of her (and Max) when I clicked the picture. How disappointing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lestaki posted:

My point is that there is more to 'leadership' than giving orders, especially in the context of a romanticised idol group like Walkure. Mikumo is the charismatic figurehead who inspires and challenges the others. Kaname is the formal leader who liaises between Walkure and the wider military structure. Personally, I think there's zero chance Mikumo would follow an order from Kaname or anyone else if she disagreed with it personally. But fundamentally, their roles are complimentary.

That's fair enough, but if Mikumo isn't even the formal leader who's the liason between Walkure and the military she's not going to be giving them all orders. Mikumo might not follow Kaname's orders if she didn't like it, and I agreed she wouldn't, but I don't think that makes her likely to be Lady M despite it or that the same isn't technically true of the rest. None of them are required to follow Kaname's orders, since they're still technically an idol group and not the military, but Mikumo is the only one likely to do it given her confidence and assertiveness.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

No, I mean that those ruins on other planets look similar to the Evil Alien Artifact Room on Windermere, so they're likely relay stations on other planets to extend the effect of the Prince's Var control singing.

Targeting what or where exactly? We don't see any other Var outbreak for him to be singing toward, or any other planet - and seconds later Keith tells him he has to start singing to support them in battle. When the Prince has no wish to extend the war and only seems to sing the Var song on command, the implication is that he was singing at those ruins (on a recently liberated/captured planet) specifically, not that he was using them as a relay. And while the decoration of the area is similar to the ruins the Prince sings in, in that both have purple crystals all over, the empty mirror thing he sings at there is far different fom the almost doll like mounds on Airberl.

Lestaki posted:

Mikumo either has a big secret she's hiding from the world or she's a method actor dedicated to her ~mysterious~ persona. For the sake of comedy I hope for the latter.

I doubt she's putting on a persona and hiding her real control. Similarly I doubt she's a robot, just because Kawamori is a bit of a hippy and seems to have no love for cyborgs or robots, so I can't see him making one a main character (I wouldn't count Brera for that reason, especially since his cyborgness seemed to be painted in a bad light, especially in the movies). I'd say she's probably more an artificial construct similar to the Protodeviln were, just not for the Protoculture. She's definitely hiding something though, considering she doesn't party or bunk with the rest of Walkure and goes out on mysterious errands (sitting on the bluff while everyone was partying) as well as not seeming to fear death.

MJP posted:

Although what I want to know is how the heck those sound systems work. It's space. Vacuum. Are they just projecting fold waves? How do fold waves resonate through a vacuum to be perceived as sound? Are they doing some kind of broadcast across all known hailing frequencies?

Humans use super dimension fold space for detection and communication since Frontier, since they had to to combat the Vajra - I'm guessing that since stuff sent through fold space propagates through a different dimension, the speakers use the super dimension to propagate rather than space itself. As silly as Macross is, it usually has some kind of technobabble to back it up.

Which would make the question instead why the Windermere guys can hear the song? They're unlikely to have that tech after all.In which case, I don't know, fold wave magic? Or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 11, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Freyja practiced because she needed practice, she didn't know the dance routines - they monitored her fold waves because she's new and untested and they needed to know if she could perform. None of that is true of Prince Heinz. He's been causing Var outbreaks with months, maybe years. There was at least 3 attacks between episode 5 and 6 alone. We do know that singing strains him though, and so do the Knights, who noted it last episode. The resonance is more likely to refer to his singing's resonace than any of the relics.

More importantly, why show the other planet at all if all they were doing was testing their relic and noting it's performance? All it does is set up an expectation that the place has some importance. If it's only a relay or a way for Heinz to test his or the system's limits there's no point showing it to the audience. It's chekov's gun essentially. There's no point showing it if they aren't going to use it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Macross probably has the best approach to continuity I've come across.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine it's more a case that while the plane might survive he wouldn't, because energy conversion armor doesn't protect the pilot inside from the effect of such a sudden stop. Even the ISCs they use probably can't mitigate that much shock.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm told it's from her audition after posting it on /m/. There's no source, so grain of salt and all, but the fact it's video footage suggests it's true, since I doubt video footage of her doing something for the show proper would leak.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 23, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, it would still be super cute if he gave the Reaper Siegfried to her as a recognition of her talent at a certain point, seeing as her whole thing seems to be others noticing her skills well before she does.

What talent? I don't think she's useless or anything, but I don't think anyone has noticed any particular skill or that that's her thing. She definitely is down on herself, but her flying by the book as Messer said seems to be an actual thing with her, not just a thing she thinks about herself. If she's going to display skill then it appears that it'll happen at some point once she starts to let go like Hayate does, but as is, she's far from a skilled pilot who just doesn't recognize it while others do.

Kanos posted:

As for Messer's plane, there's literally nothing that makes Messer's plane special or unique besides having been Messer's and having a Grim Reaper painted on it. Hayate climbed into it because his own plane got toasted and they needed every valkyrie in the air(as well as being a neat little thematic tie in to when Hayate promised he'd fly Messer's share). Why would Mirage trade out of her completely and totally functional personal Siegfried(presumably tuned for her specific little piloting quirks) to climb into Messer's? It's not an upgrade.

Messer flew a VF-31F that was a "Domain Control Fighter", while Hayate's old model, the VF-31J was a "Domain Support Fighter" according to magazines and model info. Mirage has a VF-31C, listed as a "Tactical Support Fighter", Chuck a VF-31E, listed as a "Recon and Electronic Warfare Fighter" and Arad a VF-31S, listed as a "Commander" unit for those interested. Chaos had more VF-31s, but from what we see they're all VF-31As like Alpha platoon and such fly, which not only look different but have a different loadout with more focus on actual weapons, where Delta Squadron concentrate on stuff like the drones and charger, along with the beam guns in the arms that can be used to disable since prior to this they've mostly fought berserker civilians they wanted to help, not a full on war. So getting another VF-31 in their style would probably have taken a bit of work, since they wouldn't just have to change the loadout but even things like the design of the wings to increase low speed maneuvering given that their VF's have one more suited to that while the normal VF-31s don't.

It also makes sense thematically for him to step up to Messers, just like Hikaru stepped up to Roys, like you say - especially given that he's going from a "Domain Support Fighter" to a "Domain Control Fighter". We've no idea what the actual differences in the various models are, beyond that Chucks obviously has the radome for extra sensory equipment and Arad's probably has better comms for giving orders and such.

Personally I dislike that he shot down Keith so quickly after Messer died and with no apparent improvement or effort on his part. I'm hoping he has to do it again at some point with no help from Freyja in the form of a song buff, but that it's much harder and takes maybe even more than one go, perhaps getting a different buff from his crystal or something instead to keep up with Keith when he has his wind buff going from his rune - their story being about the two of them having to learn to improve with no direct help from each other and become independent, but as is, SDF really did do it better.

I do agree that he got it because he's the protagonist, but I don't think it's really a bad thing. It makes sense for him to. I just wish the show had done a better job building to it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 30, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The thing is, Keith got a similar buff himself. He got it from his rune by feeling the wind instead of a song, or maybe because of Heinz's song as well as the wind, but he clearly had one as well. With the yellow trails and all. And he and Messer both had it in the fight where he killed Messer, though in Messer's case he was getting it off Kaname, not Freyja. And yet, even with that song buff he still only kept up with Keith who had his own buff, despite being a much more capable pilot than Hayate operating without it. So it comes across as unearned to have Hayate surpass Messer by shooting down Keith just because of Freyja's buff given that Keith had his own buff at the time and having a buff didn't save Messer.

By the way, I wouldn't say the contingency plan failed outright, since the Lt who came to inform Chaos of it seemed to get what he wanted, in getting the data of what happens when the ruins are blown up. Which appears to have been as predicated by him and whoever he's working with/for. I also wouldn't say the Windermereans have a death fortress either, since it appears to look a lot like a Birdman and may just be their undoing, not the planned weapon they think at all. It's a big loss for them otherwise yea, but I don't think Hayate shooting down Keith is bad because it goes against that or anything, just because it doesn't feel earned.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He was also super hosed up and suffering from var corruption in several other fights (if not all of them) from what we're told, yet he'd always kept up with buff-less Keith despite it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well Sheryl did join pilot school and try to learn how to use an EX-Gear, so there is kinda precedent I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Arad already knows about whatever is up with Hayate's dad but still went out of his way to recruit Hayate. He's even commented to himself like "your dad would be proud of you if he could see you now" and stuff, he just never actually talks with or interacts with Hayate so Hayate never found out that Arad knows.

A good theory on /m/ is that Arad's dad was a special forces guy originally ordered by that one cabal of bad NUNs dudes to bomb the ruins on Windermere as a way to summon the object out of Fold Space but Epsilon made him the first victim of Var and he dropped the bomb on Carlisle, the NUNs base on Windermere instead. That's why that guy at the end of the episode got angry Hayate was an Immelman and why those NUNs guys were annoyed about the incident when they tried to bomb Winderrmere - because it all went wrong there. And why there's so much confusion about who actually bombed the place, since from NUNs perspective, it was a traitor who did it, given that the cabal of dudes probably didn't tell anyone what he was doing and just placed blame on him.

Additionally, it'd also make sense of why Arad founded Delta Squad if he was doing it to honor his friend and help combat the thing he was shamed (and possibly killed) for suffering from when no-one would believe his protestations of mind control, as well as why he took in Hayate. NUNs presumably didn't believe it, or didn't want to acknowledge it, since it'd mean having to admit why he was flying with an illegal MDE bomb in the first place. So Arad fomed Delta both to combat it and to vindicate his friend.

I'm also assuming that Var is only controllable when you're in an area where the ruins are responding to the Singer. So on Windermere Wright could be controlled by the Wind Singer (whoever that was) because Epsilon and Windermere controlled their ruin, but they couldn't make the Var on Ragna, Al Shahal or wherever controllable until part way in to the show since they didn't control the ruins in the area. I can't recall if Var victims only started exhibiting smarter behavior after ruins fell though, so I may be off. Either way I'd say Wright had to be acting with intelligence, since bombing Carlisle, which we know he did, is too random to be coincidence. We don't know who the Wind Singer was at the time either, though I doubt it was Heinz seven years ago, since he'd probably have been 5 or 6 at the time. That is 5 or 6 in a culture of aliens that die younger though, but they don't appear to mature any faster. Still, it could have been him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this, but I'm getting tired of Delta and I'm specifically getting tired of the show drawing out both the love triangle and the mystery of Mikumo. Even in this episode most people online are reacting by lamenting how sad it is for Mirage but all I can see is writing that's going out of it's way not to fall down one way or the other for the love triangle and I just wish the show would decide on one of them and start setting it up instead of constantly trying to thread a needle with both. Mirage specifically asks Hayate if he fancies Freyja and he says he doesn't think of her as a partner, and is left kind of wondering and unsure when Mirage says that finding her fun is possibly the start of a relationship. His musing reaction says he isn't trying to hide something but just hasn't thought of her that way. He might not think of Mirage as a woman, but he doesn't seem to think of Freyja as one either. And while this episode had Mirage giving a sad face with a little tear as she watched Hayate with the other party, only a few episodes ago Freyja was doing the same thing. And that tension is just tiresome at this point.

I think part of the problem is that everyone involved is reactive, and no one is really making a move or willing to make one. Frontier had a lot of problems as a story, especially when it came to the Vajra as enemies, since by design they had no real face or ability to emote, making them rather dull, but Sheryl had a very assertive personality and Ranka had to be the same to try and keep up. Sheryl knew she wanted Alto and she wasn't shy about making it known and I wish this show had some of that same juice.

And yes, I'm aware that love triangles are a central tenet of Macross (though I don't think they play as big a deal as people make out since 7, Zero and Frontier barely had a love triangle), and I enjoyed the hell out of it in other shows like the original, but I just don't care for this one at all. Part of it might be that I watched every other Macross show at my own pace after they'd been released since I didn't get in to the franchise till after Frontier, but I'm watching Delta as released so I'm watching at someone else's pace.

I think the show has also drawn the mystery of Mikumo out just about to the point where it's losing tension and flavor. Mysteries have a shelf life and ideally they should only be drawn out so long and then answered, setting up new ones in the process. And I'm getting to the point where I no longer find the mystery intriguing and instead just wish it get answered and we could move on.

I really enjoy the setting and story of Delta, but I'm getting tired of the actual characters. Mirage has never really done much full stop, but even Hayate and Freyja are just kind of floundering around at this point as actual characters and while they're still involved in the war they don't appear to be going anywhere as regards to characterization besides having them all kick around uselessly in a love triangle. Hayate and Freyja haven't advanced significantly in 10 episodes or more at this point, and Mirage hasn't done so at all. Even then, Freyja didn't change any as a character, she just achieved her dream of joining Walkure, fell on her rear end (literally) once and then was accepted by everyone and has just been making funny faces and holding up the love triangle since. Yea, she's hiding her sadness with smiles, but (a) I think Chuck has a greater claim on that at the moment and (b) it doesn't actually appear to be affecting her character or indicating any growth because of the situation. I think I'm mostly just getting tired of seeing people (mostly /m/ for the record) crowing every week about how great she is and how useless Mirage is and I'm getting more than a touch tired of it because she doesn't seem any better, she just makes more faces. It's probably all that opinion rubbing off on me the wrong way, but I'm getting some Mary Sue vibes off her.

Even in terms of the story though I'm getting leary, because I'm fully expecting that as much as the conflict at the moment is between Chaos and Windermere, within a few episodes Epsilon or some NUNs conspirators will be revealed to be the real bad guys all along and the show will throw out an interesting conflict and expect all the villain cred to just harmlessly shift off Keith and the Knights along with their use of Var on to this third party who'll have relatively little screen time before show's end. Just like Frontier. And they'll be disappointing and forgettable, just like Grace and her coven within Galaxy were in Frontier too.

I really bought in to Delta in episode 01 (or .89), along with it's Tactical Sound Force, dancing battroids and so on. It had a lot of lively energy, some silly but interesting concepts and seemed to be setting up an interesting conflict. And it just hasn't lived up to my expectations, because there's very little dancing battroids and Walkure barely interact with the battlefield after episode one. When the show started I was grabbing every episode as soon as it was available, but now I'm just getting it when I'm around and it's convenient. I'll probably start forgetting to watch out for it at all soon.

This has been the voice of dissension I guess. You may go back to your regularly scheduled hype train now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ranka never really felt like she was in the running and felt more like a little sister to Alto throughout than a possible love interest. Sheryl was the one he kissed several times, the one he lived with, the one he's heavily implied to have had sex with - Ranka was always playing catch up and declaring that she'd fight Sheryl for his love. She never really did though, she just said she would. Which gives more a similar impression to Moa Nome, of someone with a puppy dog first crush trying to make more of it than.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
God I hope not. Between Heinz, Roid, the Aerial Knights, Epsilon and that cabal of NUNs guys that may or may not be part of Epsilon too there are enough villains or possible villains with more going for them without going that route.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's also the fact that in this episode when Freyja overloaded Hayate and caused his bio fold receptors to have a very strong reaction he very briefly had a green glow at the tip of one lock of hair by his shoulder just about the time it showed him getting a Var infection, which suggests he may grow a Rune of his own if Freyja sings hard enough. This glow wasn't his fold crystal by the way, since as you can see, that was glowing purple on his chest at the same time.

This also wasn't a result of the Protoculture ruin/artefact, since Freyja had caused him to overload before that started acting up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Overlord K posted:

Holy poo poo, I would have never caught that amidst all that. :stare:

It would lead to some rather concerning stuff if that's actually what is happening there.

I probably wouldn't have caught it either, but several screencaps were posted to /m/ at once, that among them and one anon questioned if maybe it's what the glow meant, with even the guy who posted them not knowing what he was on about originally. It does give some interesting possibilities though yea, and this implication that Freyja's singing is a bad thing in some way for Hayate (between her overloading him in this episode and him having a reaction last week) is the first time I've felt some interest in her and Hayate's relationship. It's just too cutesy and bland with everyone involved too shy and awkward for me to care about it and I guess I find the conflict of Hayate's dad having bombed Windermere too cliche to really care about, especially when both parties don't seem concerned about it beyond the initial shock and got over it with no discussion or emotional problems after half an episode. This seems like a more solid and interesting conflict and I'm actually curious about where the show is gonna take it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Hayate's dad having bombed Windermere should be such a non-issue for anyone who actually knows him that it doesn't actually inject any drama into the situation anyway. Hayate was pretty open with everyone about how he basically didn't know his dad at all and certainly didn't have any idea what he was doing, so Hayate somehow catching shade from Freyja for the sins of his absent father would make absolutely no sense and I'm glad it didn't become an issue.

I agree that it's not a logical reaction but I think it could have made sense as an emotional reaction despite acknowledging that it makes no real sense because there are some things your emotions are going to inform more strongly than your objective analysis, even when considering friendship or love as part of the equation. And someone's family bombing your planet would be one thing that could incite such a reaction. I don't mind that it didn't, but I'd understand why it could.

Sydnesider posted:

Re-watching this again I think it's just Keith's Variable fighter's reflection on the cockpit glass.

I don't think so. Putting aside that when you see them fly past each other a few seconds later Keith is coming from an angle that shouldn't really allow Keith's Draken to reflect in the first place and that they're flying in a sky filled with dark storm clouds and no major source of light to cause a reflection, the glow doesn't look like a reflection. We've seen such reflections before in the show, and they're always a small silvery glint of light only present for a frame or three on the outside of the plane's canopy. This glow is bigger, lasts longer and is a different color as well as being in just too coincidental a place to not at least be suggestive of a Rune. It might be deliberately misleading, but I don't think a reflection is the real cause if it is, since it doesn't look like a reflection as the show does them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 3, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CheshireCat posted:

Macross Dynamite 7, however... Space White Whale and Space Ahab? Really? God that was awful.

That seems to be a common reaction, but I loved it. It's pure undiluted 7. The rest of the cast of 7 are barely relevant besides that awful Mylene lesbian rape thing that really had no place in anything ever, but 7 was always Basara's show and his part of Dynamite is a lot of fun. The space whale singing is great too, though his fight with Graham in the final episode definitely needed more actual animation and less slideshow shots. That and the Macross 7 movie are great. As are the Plus episodes. 7 as a whole is really, though it drags a lot for the first 20 odd episodes and even some of the later episodes are kind of slow. I wouldn't blame anyone for not getting in to it or liking it, but it hits some great highs when it tries and Dynamite is in there for me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Demicol posted:

If you need more Macross Delta the bluray has Episode 1+ which is 3 minutes longer. Most interesting thing was that the weird flying hologram things need charging by Mirage's VF shooting at them:
https://my.mixtape.moe/vovkyw.webm

And that they're called Multidrones, not sure if that has been mentioned in the show before.

I haven't watched the video since I'm on my phone but that sounds like stuff that was in the preview episode. 89 and cut for the regular episode 1. I'm pretty sure the home media release just combined the two. I think Frontier did the same.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They're never coming back because Kawamori doesn't want to do anything more with Misa, Minmei or Hikaru from popular account and he couldn't even if he wanted to. Minmei's VA Mari Iijima is unlikely to ever voice Minmei since people only cared about her for that role after the show while she was trying to make a career independent of it and she never really made peace with that by the looks of things and Hikaru's VA commit suicide in '93 or something. Given the industry reluctance to recast VA's and how iconic Minmei is I don't see them recasting her and she's unlikely to come back, and without Minmei there's no point going back to Hikaru or Misa.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's 21 episodes aired out of what is, as far as I know, a 26 episode total. So there's 5 episodes to finish things out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Plus, 7 and Zero all featured something besides J-pop, but Kawamori wasn't as central to the production of either 7 or Plus by my understanding, so other staff were probably responsible for the decision to go with J-rock and electronic music in those. Zero most likely went with more traditional music because J-pop wouldn't fit the setting. So I doubt Macross 40 or whatever the next show is will not feature J-pop, at least so long as Kawamori is still in charge, since he appears to be a fan - despite how awful the idol industry is to actual idols.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm disappointed there isn't more of Walkure on the battlefield as well. In the flashback they seemed more interested in hitting it big than in actually preventing Var too, like they were a normal idol band and not one formed in response to something. Ernest seemed interested in that when interviewing Kaname, but the actual members of Walkure didn't seem to think battlefield performance was as important as chart performance and public love. Speaking of Ernest, I'm still waiting for him to bust out some variable fighter judo too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Since it's basically just the same couple of Delta squadron pilots fighting the same tiny squadron of Windermerian knights over and over and over with almost no progress ever made on either side it makes the supposedly subsector-spanning conflict feel like a tiny spat between rival fighter squadrons.

I don't think it can be put entirely down to that, since both SDF and 7 tended to concentrate on a small cadre of named antagonists as well. SDF had Britai, Exedol, Quamjin, Millia and the three spies - with most of them present for the majority of the show, while 7 had Sivil, Gigil, Gepelnitch, Gavil and perhaps one or two more minor ones too. Neither had quite as many characters as Delta has to represent the villains, but I think SDF at least gave them more personality and presence without making them repetitive like Delta.

I think it's also the fact that the character's generally do nothing, almost none of them are proactive or really have any kind of goal and that like you said, despite covering a whole sector of space, it really just concentrates on the same handful of planets, all established early. I think Frontier felt more expansive despite only visiting one or two planets, because they were always new and unknown/unannounced,.

• Locked thread