Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I see this topic come up now and again in a variety of threads, usually someone will post a youtube of someone's starwars, zelda, lotr, etc, theme wedding, and pretty much everyone will make fun of the wedding for how nerdy and uncouth it is. While I largely agree that it's a bit juvenile to have an 8 bit themed wedding or w/e, ultimately isn't it about what the people getting married want? Like if they get along fine at their jobs and want to goomba stomp their cake to pictures rather than smear it on each other's faces as the photo opp, shouldn't we just be happy that they're doing them?

On the other hand i was thinking about what I might want my future wedding to be like, and ultimately the answer is i really don't care and think I'd mostly be throwing the event so my parents and grandparents can see their bloodline chug on. Despite my mom having two sisters and my dad having two brothers, my brother and I are the only kids of this generation on our side of the family tree. I feel like when my ceremony rolls around, I mostly want to set things up for the family and it'd be kinda selfish to make it all about me/the spouse. Is that the chief complaint with these theme weddings, that the people getting married aren't being mature enough to acknowledge that the ceremony isn't just for them, or should the friends and family be the ones accepting that it's supposed to be the special moment for them and just deal the their warcrafts.

I can honestly see both sides to the argument I'm just kinda curious what other people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

SweetKarma posted:

A wedding is supposed to be about the bride and groom. A wedding is a celebration of their love for each other. Have you ever been to a wedding?
I've been to a couple yeah, but the whole point of this thread was when brides and grooms make the wedding about them rather than just doing the stock grownup thing people generally seem to look down on that. You can see even itt there are people on all sides of the fence for who the wedding is supposed to be about; the family, the bride(s) and/or groom(s), just the bride, etc. I just think it's kind of interesting that on one hand it's supposed to be a ceremony for two people so they should get to do what they want but on the other hand there are pretty commonly agreed on ways that they go do this 'wrong'.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Yeah I totally understand that, the intent of the thread was more to discuss whether as friends you should put up with that kind of malarkey because it's their special day and you're there for them, or as the bride/groom you really should focus more on making it a fun event for the guests and save your personal effects for the honeymoon or w/e. I feel like personally if i were getting married I would try the latter but if I were say the best man at the wedding I'd probably encourage the former so it's hard for me to see which is "right".

• Locked thread