Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Being produced by Feel, Dagashi Kashi is the story of Kokonotsu Shikada, who has dreamt to be a manga artist ever since he was a child. Problem is, his father, Yo, wants him to inherit the family sweets shop, Shikada Dagashi, and he is in line to be the 9th head. Kokonotsu has a talent for making any sweet better without putting any effort into it which makes his inheritance all the more apropos, but he declines his father's offer every time. One day, Hotaru Shidare, a girl from the city and the daughter of a world famous sweets company, shows up and wishes to convince Kokonotsu's father to join her company. Yo agrees, but under the condition that she convinces Kokonotsu to take over the family shop.

Characters

Kokonotsu Shikada, a budding manga artist and sought to be 9th head of Shikada Dagashi. Kokonotsu has loved drawing manga ever since his father complimented a drawing of his as a child. He has an uncanny ability to make sweets taste better and more appealing without even really thinking about which both frustrates and impresses his father. He likes the big baps. Voiced by Atsushi Abe, also know for voicing Toma Kamijo of the To Aru Majutsu no Index series.

Hotaru Shidare, would be leader of the Shidare Company and lover of sweets. Hotaro wishes to make the Shidare Company the greatest sweets manufacturer in the world. She has a great eye for recognizing talent and is baffled by Kokonotsu's talent and how he's letting it go to waste in some countryside sweets shop. Kokonotsu finds her to be incredibly attractive. Voiced by Ayana Taketatsu known for voicing Suguha Kirigaya from Sword Art Online.

Yo Shikada, the eighth head of Dagashi Shikada and a doting father. Yo is DESPERATE to get Kokonotsu to inherit the shop, he sees great things for his son and feels he would be wasting his talent doing otherwise. Yo agrees to the deal with Hotaru because he feels it is the right thing for Kokonotsu and only wishes the best for his son. He is also really friggin intense. Voiced by Keiji Fujiwara known for voicing Hiroshi Nohara from Shin-Chan.

To Endo, Saya's twin brother and a good friend of Kokonotsu's, his family runs a cafe. Voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki known for voicing Makoto Tachibana from Free!

Saya Endo, To's sister and another friend of Kokonotsu's, she works at their family's cafe, Cafe Endo. She has really transparent feelings for Kokonotsu, but he's not very bright. Voiced by Manami Numakura known for voicing Hibiki Ganaha from the Idolmaster series.

This is a fun comedy series about candy that has some decent talent behind the anime, it seems. It's being streamed in English by Funimation, but they have delayed the first episode for some ridiculous reason so you'll have to wait a bit for the first episode, but it's gonna be a good time. Here's some manga panels and a PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Sy_ld8MHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eybEd_ZQcvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61sINaHBEdQ

Here, let's talk about the candy anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baal posted:

. He likes the big baps.

Same

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I'm going to destroy funimation

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is important to know that Saya is actually the most powerful.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm excited now, but there no Dagashi Kashi now. This is terrible.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Dagashi Kashi is great, absolutely filled with sweet and salty junk foody goodness, and I am glad that there's an anime adaptation of this, one of my favorite "People getting really really into some random obscure hobby/obsession" manga.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm excited for the candy because whenever Hotaru goes into detail about them I always zone out so it will be nice to have it presented with hopefully nicer pacing.

Hotaru has a great and distinctive character design.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wasn't animated

RIP

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Wasn't animated

RIP

Wasn't animated yet

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad this is more lively and has more character than the preview made it out to be, because the manga owns

Hotaru's entrances are really good

Parallax fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 8, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Some day animes will learn how to knock. Some day.

Is this going to make me want to start making batches of maple cream again?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baal posted:

Kokonotsu finds her to be incredibly attractive.

He's right.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

alcharagia posted:

He's right.

:agreed:

She seems like a really fun weirdo! Kokonotsu and his dad were fun too, and Saya is incredibly cute! :3: I've never read the manga (it's been on The List for awhile though) but this was a really charming first episode and I'm definitely going to keep up with it

More food related anime! More!

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
> She has really transparent feelings for Kokonotsu, but he's not very bright.

Um, your own post shows that Kokonotsu knows exactly what he likes and why thanks:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00069621
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00069620

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

buzmeg posted:

> She has really transparent feelings for Kokonotsu, but he's not very bright.

Um, your own post shows that Kokonotsu knows exactly what he likes and why thanks:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00069621
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00069620

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

same.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A good man

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Untrue.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

A great many vie for that throne.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

me too man

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I watched this and Willy Wonka has big baps

Will watch the next one

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Shiny pink anime shoulders.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Fun series to read, we'll see how it holds up animated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Was that a masterfully-executed tetsuzanko? :kimchi:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

p funny, nice soft intro episode. I'm down to see where this goes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What title is Funimation streaming this under? I couldn't find it under "D."

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Funi doesn't have it yet. Another 2 days I think

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Linnaeus posted:

Funi doesn't have it yet. Another 2 days I think

FUNI! :argh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the first ep was awesome, really everything i wanted this anime to be. it's a bummer that there's only enough manga for one cour :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the 1st ep. Refreshing to hear Ayana Taketatsu playing the weirdo. :3:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This looks promising, but I'm on the fence. Do you, perhaps, have a series of jocular animated .gifs to convince me?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

This looks promising, but I'm on the fence. Do you, perhaps, have a series of jocular animated .gifs to convince me?

Ask and ye' shall receive. Hotaru is the cutest moron I've seen this season so far. :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

You can add it to your queue here.
http://www.funimation.com/shows/dagashi-kashi/home

I'm tryin to decided whether to wait...the gifs look kind of amusing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've no doubt that I'm going to enjoy this show, so I'm in no rush to watch it. It'd be nice if funi had their poo poo together, but I can wait.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, cool crunchyroll picked this up...

quote:

We're back with more Winter 2016 announcements starting with Dagashi Kashi set to premiere every Sunday starting January 10th @ 6AM PST and will be available to Crunchyroll members in the following territories: the Middle East excluding Turkey, and North Africa.

Damnit.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a kitten posted:

Oh, cool crunchyroll picked this up...

Damnit.

. . . I think West Africa still gets it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope Saya wins the Coconatsu bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope Saya wins the Coconatsu bowl.

Same.

• Locked thread