Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Elmnt80 posted:

I've always wondered what your options are for replacing pads and rotors on a willwood setup like that. Do they give you a list of compatible vehicles that had a similar setup or what?

Essentially, you buy wilwood pads and rotors. There are more pad options than I understand, and the rotors are available in random options. I don't generally go for the drilled option, but it's what CA stocks, so I'm fine with it. They're 14" x 1.25", so essentially, they'll probably never wear out in this application, unless She really gets into flogging Mavis. Which sounds nastier than it is. Or is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

This thread inspired me to check out eBay to see if there are any sweet deals on a Ford Maverick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_nkw=ford+maverick

oh.

We'll be back in England in a few weeks. I shall make it a mission to observe these more closely in the wild. And then I'll go back to observing the real reason for our visit: tasty, tasty bitter.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Am I posted:

That's not a Ford Maverick 4x4

This is a Ford Maverick 4x4

That looks like a proper 4x4.

God this thread delivers. I was always curious you sized the brakes to transfer from car to car. Bookmarked that link, thanks!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

This thread inspired me to check out eBay to see if there are any sweet deals on a Ford Maverick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_nkw=ford+maverick

oh.

Mine comes up different to yours?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.XFord+Maverick.TRS0&_nkw=Ford+Maverick&_sacat=0

Essentially its a Nissan GQ Patrol with ford badging.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
OK, so we now have worldwide agreement that the US has the best Ford Mavericks :colbert: :911:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

More stuff arrived. Time for more cutting!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is the best car ever.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
You're at the level with this poo poo that I want to get to.

Right now I'm just tigging in patches, but big swaps and custom bits? Yessssss!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That looks like a proper 4x4.

That's because it's a rebadged nissan patrol. Ford and nissan did some type of deal late 80s/early 90s and swapped some cars over. Nissan pintara became the ford corsair, nissan patrol became ford maverick.
I can't remember what nissan mainly got out of it, but I do know nissan did rebadge a few falcon utes, but they were very rare.
It was really weird at the time since ford were normally in partnership with mazda (owning a stake in it), and based things on the mazda 323, 626, trucks/utes or vans etc. E: Oh, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan
Sorry OP, I know we're going on about it, but after opening the thread some of us had to take a while to learn what the hell a US maverick was!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 23, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen a restomod Maverick, this is going to be awesome.

Hope you're keeping the color :3:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

leica posted:

Hope you're keeping the color :3:

Sadly, no. The previous owner painted it the Grabber Blue, but it was originally Medium Blue. Since it's the wife's car, she gets to choose the color.

So far, the front runners are things like "Bitter Bitch," "Smokin' Hot," "Paradoxial," and something else. They're all dark greyish/brownish colors, no pearl/flake. They're also nail polish colors, so... Yeah. She'll figure it out. That's above my pay grade.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Trial fit.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Voting 'Plum Crazy purple' for the paint job.

Edit: Don't care that it's not a Mopar.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

More arts and crafts time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Those pretty little hands don't look dirty enough, she needs to find out what it's like getting filthy grease/oil under every fingernail :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

jhcain posted:

More arts and crafts time.

:frogon:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This thread is fantastic, you are fantastic, your wife is fantastic. Everything is fantastic.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

We bought an old car. This car has some hidden issues. Prepping to send off for attention while we're away.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Not dead yet!

Blasted, sealed, fun new rust discovered. Stupid previous painter did some damage that needs to be repaired.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are those white dots all pinhole rust spots?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Are those white dots all pinhole rust spots?

In the firewall/toe board? Some are penetrations that are supposed to be there, but most are indeed rust holes. Firewall was to be substantially replaced anyhow, so... Yeah.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Raluek posted:

So... are all HRPT cars of the "pour in cubic money" type builds? Because that's neat, but I'd feel way out of place. All I've really seen of it is what you've posted before, and the Roadkill stuff (which is obviously paid for with sponsor dollars).

Nah, Finnegan's Blasphemi was probably partially inspired by a dude that ran a junkyard '55 Chevy body with an (also junkyard, from a truck) Mopar 383 and beer cans riveted over the rust holes in the former back in the mid-'90s when they first got started.

jhcain posted:

Weirdo diesel conversions? Yup.
My dream project is a Hudson Hornet done up in racing livery, with a Cummins 5.9L (or 6.7L, is the new one, innit? Whichever fits). It's still an I6!

Penskecat
Aug 26, 2005
Has Mavis been delivered to the smeltery yet?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Penskecat posted:

Has Mavis been delivered to the smeltery yet?

!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
This is great, I'm looking forward to following this thread. I own a '74 Comet myself. These cars don't get enough attention and it will be really cool to see one getting modded in an awesome way.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 19, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

These cars are awesome! I'd love to own one, but it's name is unfortunate enough to make eBay alerts for it rather difficult

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Those rust holes are probably OEM. Don't fill them or your concourse score will drop.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I feel like a maverick with a 2.0l ecoboost crate motor would be good fun to drive. Don't alot of the mustang suspension gubbins bolt right in allowing for you to make it handle super awesome too?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

My original thought was to do the ecoboost 4, but there are some predicates that make it a little weird. Transmission options are few (Miata?) and they're not as easily packaged as some other options. Plus, this is the wife's car, and she knew there was a V8 option, so that's what she wanted.

For the suspension, the mustang bits mostly nearly can work (everything is a little smaller on the maverick), and they're light enough cars that making them handle is quite possible.

That said, with the engine we're using, the entire front suspension had to go. Speaking of which, did some mock up work today to take some measurements.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jhcain posted:

My original thought was to do the ecoboost 4, but there are some predicates that make it a little weird. Transmission options are few (Miata?) and they're not as easily packaged as some other options.

I think your no-adapter-needed RWD transmission options on the MZR/Ecoboost are going to be the Miata, RX8, Ranger, and now the Ecoboost Mustang. Best gearbox for the money out of that is probably the Miata, I'd expect the Ecoboost Mustang is still too rare in junkyards to have cheap partouts yet.

I honestly would get a kick out of doing a Cosworth Vega with an Ecoboost or Ecotec, but you'd definitely spend more for less cylinders with any domestic option.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think your no-adapter-needed RWD transmission options on the MZR/Ecoboost are going to be the Miata, RX8, Ranger, and now the Ecoboost Mustang. Best gearbox for the money out of that is probably the Miata, I'd expect the Ecoboost Mustang is still too rare in junkyards to have cheap partouts yet.

I honestly would get a kick out of doing a Cosworth Vega with an Ecoboost or Ecotec, but you'd definitely spend more for less cylinders with any domestic option.

I didn't even think of the miata's trans working. It'd probably be easier to fit than one out of an ecoboost mustang and cheaper. In any event, a v8 is still the much cooler and balls out option. Or ovaries out as the case may be.

Penskecat
Aug 26, 2005

Man, good brakes are cool.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

goldrush posted:

This is great, I'm looking forward to following this thread. I own a '74 Comet myself. These cars don't get enough attention and it will be really cool to see one getting modded in an awesome way.

Comet! How did I miss this? Let's see it!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

jhcain posted:

Comet! How did I miss this? Let's see it!

I don't have any recent photos of it as it's been in storage for a couple of years now. It still runs and drives well, but needs a lot of cosmetic work. The vinyl roof is peeling up along the driver's side gutter, the hood is badly damaged after it improperly latched and then was taken on the highway, where it proceeded to fly up and bend the corners near the springs. The dash is cooked from years in the sun, the steering wheel has fallen apart and needs to be replaced, the door panels, remote mirror assembly, visors, and more all need replacement. There is rust popping up along the rear quarter wheel wells. The rear window is leaking and there's water stains inside along the rear deck. The dash needs to be taken apart and all the vacuum hoses for the fan/heat/defrost controls need to be redone. It needs new wheel covers. Etc, etc, etc.

I got it in August of 2002 and it was my daily driver until January of 2014. It only had 53,000 miles then and was in much nicer shape. It has about 94,000 miles now. 12 years of daily driving (local driving, so not too much mileage, however) and it's not as nice looking now, but still mechanically very good. Has a 302 2bbl and a C4 3-spd auto. Oh and it has disc brakes and a/c (that doesn't work)! Here are some photos when I first got it in 2002. See how nice it was?

http://imgur.com/a/IzxUs

Anyway, I don't want to hijack your thread any further, so I'm looking forward to keeping up with your exploits! Maybe one day when I have the time, money and energy to start fixing mine up I will, and will start a thread about it.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

She's ba-aack...

New firewall, no more rust damage to deal with on the car.

Now all that's left is everything.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Measure twice, something something...

I sure hope this is close to correct:

And we know this is correct. For all the wrong reasons

Tab A goes in slot B, nearly done.

That is all.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The sheer speed you finish these projects makes me kind of disappointed. There's no foreplay with you!

Seriously though, keep up the good work!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo how did I miss this thread

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Well, it fits.

I need to cut a bit more from the firewall, but I was a good first fit. I have no idea how I've lived this long without the gantry crane. So much better than a cherry picker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Here you are getting this much work done and I just let my project car languish in the driveway.

• Locked thread