Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Thanks for weighing in on Harry Potter, OP. With all the attention the Harry Potter franchise has been getting in the media lately, I was waiting for someone to take it down a peg.

Now I just wish someone would stick it to popular TV show F*R*I*E*N*D*S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Alan Rickman, giant of British film and theatre, dies at 69

http://gu.com/p/4fym5?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Look what you did op

lol "69"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also RIP Alan Rickman. He was one of my favorite actors.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Microwaves Mom posted:

Op killed Alan Rickman by not caring about harryp otter.

He was heartbroken over the OP's post.

Clap your hands, everyone, clap your hands!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

Op killed Alan Rickman

MOds??
That's gotta be worth at least a 6 hour probation.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

learnincurve posted:

Because muggle technology won't work around magic, they addressed this in the Goblet of Fire. (Reeta Skeeter bugging story line)
Look at all these people missing out on Steven Fry's audio book narration.

Electronics don't work properly around areas of high magic concentration, but gunpowder works just fine. Light 'em up!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

Yes, Terry Pratchett, or something good

Actually Terry Pratchett is good. Sorry you are incapable of joy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

trap sprung

Your dad is a trap.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

He's entertaining but not a good author, hope this helps.

As opposed to all those good authors who aren't entertaining at all.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A misanthrope posted:

has anyone taken care of the op yet? where are we on that mob justice thing?

Unironically support the OP getting probated because it would be hilarious and cool to see "Your bad post killed Alan Rickman, user was probated for 6 hours" on his rap sheet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

like?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Tolkien comes to mind :v:

or, like, Tolstoy or some poo poo

Tolkien is entertaining imo.

I'll accept that Tolstoy is "great" because everyone says he is, but his books are a chore to read so I haven't experienced his greatness first hand. Wanna fill me in on what makes him so great?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna propose something radical here and say that "good" authors that everyone hates to read are, in fact, not so good.

I'm sure I could find some schizophrenic person's 10,000 page manifesto that is chockablock full of subtle symbolism and cutting social commentary, but it would still be awful.

I propose "readability" be among the criterion by which "great" authors are judged.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

im gonna get rid of the western literary canon and replace it with space tits & space rear end

The gem faces symbolize how women are forced to commoditize their beauty the way we commoditize jewelry.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

But the dudes have gems too

Interesting observation. Why do you think that is?

I'm definitely looking forward to having you in Contemporary Applewhite Studies this spring semester.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Wah wah wah what about the menz :qq: Try to stay on topic please :rolleyes:

So you think perhaps the author included the gem faces on male characters as a meta-commentary on gender politics of the time? A sort of "red herring" to draw out discussion and reveal how we immediately turn all discussions about the struggles of women into a footnote to the struggles of men?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

is there a dress code?

Push up bras for women, codpieces for men

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

The intentions of the author are immaterial, what matters is what's supported by the text itself

Do I have to give you a crash course on Death Of The Author? :toughguy:

Nyaahahaha *tugs collar*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

look okay i was born in 89 so by all accounts i should have a mega boner for harry potter, but who gives a poo poo? i guess there's another fuckin movie coming out thats not harry potter, but really it's harry potter, and why should anyone care? i read the first three because i was in the age group that was right in that target demo in the late 90s and then the 4th one was like, twice as long as any other harry potter book and woah turns out i didn't care about retard wizard poo poo that much.

anyway, thanks y'all for having me, i'll be around, and if you like harry potter enough to get mad enough at this to want to tell me why i should actually like harry potter, lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Come on, Starwar. You're killin' me here. The only point of probating him was to blame him for the death of Alan Rickman.

• Locked thread