Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Hello, the Let's Play forum at the Something is Awful forums. I am Rob, or smokyprogg. I "recently" did a pretty good LP of a 3 day run of Majora's Mask with my friend George. It's pretty good.

In the days leading up to the release of Dark Souls III, I will finally get around to playing Dark Souls II for the first time. In fact, as of the posting of this very thread, there are 89 days left until the release of Dark Souls III, the greatest game of my lifetime, certainly.

The goal here is to complete a blind playthrough of Dark Souls II before the release of the Game of the Year of All Time, Dark Souls III. I will only be allowing myself to die once a day in Dark Souls II in the meantime. And recording it. And uploading for the "pleasure" of the internet. Why 90 days? Because I wanted to do 100 and the internet at my place got upgraded to 2010 quality somewhere around 96 days out. 90 is a more round number than 95. Living in the middle of the woods is a bitch.

I'll be providing two videos for any day over 10 minutes: one uncut, and one that I will try to get under 10 minutes. I don't want to edit boss fights if I can avoid it, so bosses may lead to some longer abridged videos. Oh well

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno man. You have options, certainly. This is going to be pretty rambley and disjointed in all likelihood, and if that's not your thing you might want to pass. The vibe on this is probably gonna be more casual, having fun with video games than video games being serious business. That being said, I'm alright at video games though! And I get way too serious about them a lot of the time! And I played entirely too much Dark Souls I before starting this! I even mostly completed a soul level 1 character run over three days earlier this week no one cares

I will also need help from you. Yes, you! Since I'm going to be recording every day for the next three months, I would love to regularly get different people commentating with me. You don't need to know Dark Souls at all. Makes no difference to me. Some guidance occasionally would be nice, however. Good ole' George from the Majora's Mask LP will be joining me on at least the first episode, but I have not the slightest idea how available he will be going forward.

On days where I can't get anyone to commentate, I'll probably just stream. I'll post in this thread and the sticky ~15 minutes before when this is happening. Unfortunately, I can't stream with co-commentary. I upgraded my internet connection, but maxing at 2M up just ain't gonna cut it for this poo poo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you need is a Skype account and a mic, more or less. Also probably a drink. Either send me a message on Skype name: Frothypogs or a PM on the Something Awful Forums/Twitter @frothypogs. Try to be caught up if you want to commentate. I honestly don't care much though, and most of these videos will go up the morning after they are recorded so that may be difficult to require. I will usually begin recording between 5 and 9 EST, but work scheduling will be changing this pretty soon.

A bit. I prefer not to have anything mentioned in the thread unless I have either seen it on screen, or asked a question about it in the videos. That being said, I will be trying to avoid any sort of media related to Dark Souls II while doing this playthrough. My hope is for all advice to come through this thread, maybe? Is that too much to ask for? Probably, if only for the fact that no one wants to watch another loving dark souls lp whatever

If you must talk about something later in the game, tag that poo poo. I won't read anything with spoiler tags, though.

A Playlist with All of the Full Length Videos
A Playlist with All of the Abridged Videos

Day 1: The Hero, FRUMPTOOB
Day 2: Synth Talk and Ladder Bullshit
Day 3: A Maelstrom of Ambiguity and Darkness
Day 4: Dark Souls II 101 (feat. Simply Simon)
Day 5: Brutus Saves the Day (feat. An Evil Herbivore)
Day 6: Soul Skating
Day 7: Bleep Bloopin
Day 8: horse?
Day 9: The Memes...
Day 10: Weiner Holdin'
Day 11: Fashion Souls 101
Day 12: Boom Goes the Dynamite (feat. tzmhero)
Day 13: Butthorn
Day 14: A Day Well Spent (feat. END ME SCOOB)
Day 15: The Mystery of the Bonfire Key

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Dark Souls II! It's not Dark Souls I. I learned this today. Some mechanics were changed. Some items were re-located so that you might miss them, apparently. Some fall damage was taken.

Not much happens in this one, honestly. We do our character creation, watch some cutscenes, and gently caress off into the night more or less. It will get better! Probably!

Now how the gently caress do I gain levels so I can equip ANYTHING gently caress man

Day 1: The Hero, FRUMPTOOB
Day 1 (Abridged Version)

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 19, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 2:

Game design 201: If you're making a sequel, try not to switch the controls from the previous game so that you just straight up die if you do what worked before.

Mad about ladders.

Day 2: Synth Talk and Ladder Bullshit
Day 2 (Abridged Version)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swork posted:

Are you going to be posting when you're playing? Because I would love to invade you a lot.

Fat and Useless posted:

I would like to make your life hell as well.

Steak Eater posted:

I, three, would like to die to you and give you effigies through my own sheer incompetence.

I'll start doing this as of tonight. Probably streaming things tonight also, since I've asked a lot out of George lately.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know how much of a recording backlog you've got, but if you need a weapon, there's one in the tutorial area that even a Deprived can use. As for leveling, look for an NPC near the bonfire in Majula.

Got both of these by accident, gently caress yeah. I'm assuming I have to exhaust the dialogue of that lady before she lets me level?

No backlog. Every episode is being edited, rendered, and uploaded a day at a time. IT INCREASES THE SUSPENSE.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 19, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah, talk to the Emerald Herald enough and she'll give you a menu of things you can do.

Aside from leveling up, you should also "Upgrade Estus Flask" when she gives you the option; that's what that shard you found in the well is for. Estus flasks work a bit differently in DS2. You only get one use to start with, and every shard you find adds an additional use. Estus flask charges max out at 12 (there are 11 shards in the game and any you find in NG+ are totally useless).

Awesome, thanks. I seem to recall reading something a while back that the Estus Flask doesn't recharge at every bonfire? Or am I mistaking that with leveling not being available? IDK

One more question: I parried a few guys in the most recent video, but didn't do a uniquely animated riposte like the first Dark Souls when I attacked. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: oh yeah, how the gently caress do i do the ladder slide goddamn

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 15, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Starting streaming now! Come at me mother fuckers

http://www.twitch.tv/frothypogs

died quick, terrible stream. good times

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 16, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 3:

Welp, this was a short one. At least I learned about the behaviour of certain enemy types. And how seriously they'll gently caress you up if you are "wise" enough to pick a knife fight with them.

I streamed this one, and the audio hosed up, as well as the stream itself. Not sure if streaming is a super viable option in the future. If anyone watched, it would be nice to know if it was worth the effort or not. :P

Audio balance is a bit off in this one, but I found a second mic laying around, so this won't be an issue if I record with Audrey again. Woooo.

Day 3: A Maelstrom of Ambiguity and Darkness

Also, didn't realize that Scholar of the First Sin was a different game other than the DLC being included. Interesting. Hope I'm not cheating myself out of the True Dark Souls II Experience in any way.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 19, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hey, you found the game's requisite bird nest trading spot! You've already got something you can leave there - a literal something, in fact. :wink:

OH SHIIIIIIIT

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 4:

Today, I'm joined by forums user Simply Simon, and he sure knows more about this game than I do! Getting some advice on the mechanics is really nice, not gonna lie.

Day 4: Dark Souls II 101 (feat. Simply Simon)
Day 4 (Abridged Version)

Still looking for more commentary volunteers if people are interested!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

Ladders: Simon is good at megaman and ladder info giving.

90 Days: This isn't happening.

I learned a lot about ladders! Ladder sprinting! Who knew?

And we aren't even 5% of the way though yet. I'm capable of learning! :colbert: maybe...

FailAtMagic posted:

I noticed your using your souls of the lost undead etc. items all the time. If your doing that because you dont want to pop 20 souls in a row before leveling DS2 allows you to pop multiple souls items at once so your just risking the souls needlesly.

I'm basically using them cause I'm not super worried about recovering (yet) and want to level up ASAP to use :krad: items such as a Shortsword for instance.

Fat and Useless posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a great mechanic called soul memory, you have a total souls gained counter in your inventory screen and that is what your multiplayer experience is based off. There are basically different soul memory brackets and massive amounts of souls that are lost/used on anything not leveling hurts you unlike Dark Souls 1. There are ways to expand these brackets. This is only important for try hards like me, a normal person shouldn't notice the sperg they are playing with min-maxed his poo poo and has 200 extra hp and 4 extra strength.

gently caress Soul Memory.

This sounds terrible, but then again, I spent a while last week invading the Undead Burg with my level 1 character using a +3 Lightning Reinforced Club. It's me. I'm why Soul Memory exists.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 5:

Woaaaaah, a lot happened in this one. And I did a little bit of it as well! Shoutouts to Brutus. You're the loving man. I'm gonna name my firstborn after you. I love Brutus. Brutus is the best.

This is a long video. Just gonna throw that out there. Had some problems with power in my home in the woods that delayed this, but I'm going to start editing abridged versions of each video so that there is a nice, less than 10 minute alternative for every day where I don't die spectacularly in the first ten minutes. Will start uploading the abridged versions of videos tonight, and edit them into the rest of the posts. The plan going forward is to upload the full and abridged versions for each upcoming day.

Day 5: Brutus Saves the Day (feat. An Evil Herbivore)
Day 5 (Abridged Version)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply Simon posted:

I'm incredibly sorry that my dry Germanness didn't allow for many funny edits :geno:.

Nah, man, I really liked how it turned out. A thing I am enjoying about this LP is the variety of commentary among different people. Dry Germanness is quite the departure from frantic Rob 'n' Gerge talk, but works just as well imho.

Lizard Wizard posted:

You might wanna turn your game audio down for future sessions. :shobon:

Noted, and agreed. Started normalizing the game audio at -5 of the mics, and will continue to do this.

gently caress everything about that. Time to start attacking all of the chests. *sigh*

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Fat and Useless posted:

Dark Souls starts now or something.

come at me bitch (starting to play in ~10 minutes)

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 6:

Have you seen Brink!? It's the heartwarming tale of Brink "Brink" Brinker as he skates, but he don't do it for money even though he can get paid probably also his dad would respect him more if he just sold out absolving that whole plot thread man, Val was a douche I'm glad his pizza got hosed u- *falls off walkway*

what the gently caress is a heide

Day 6: Soul Skating
Day 6: (Abridged Version)

From here on out, I'll try to upload both the full and abridged videos at once.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

Invaded 30 worlds including DangleDongs. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 6 edit: I now know where you went, good job on finding one of the pvp hot spots! Many fun facts await you after you post the video.

gently caress man. i just wanna hang out with DangleDongs, is that too much to ask for?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 21, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
woah replies

will reply at some point but PLAYING DORK SOULS COME AT ME

edit: aaaaaaand dead

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 20, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 7:

Ugh, that halberd wasn't worth it. I'm gonna blame this one on not having my heart in it. I gots all the excuses. My character arc of Dark Souls II will involve me taking responsibilities for my failures in gaming and life haha no

Day 7: Bleep Bloopin'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as progress, I'm not sure if I have the time to have the luxury to explore if I want to beat the game in the timeframe I want. I probably should just give up now, but gently caress that. Is there anything left in the Forest that I should definitely go for? I'll probably continue to occasionally fight that Pursuer guy, but I'm not sure about the rest. meh.

This is a good rear end post. I want to try out some of the dual wielding (particularly my favorite poo poo weapon from DS1, the caestus) but I'm really afraid of the survivability for this run if I make an attempt. Are shields really as optional as you would have me believe?

I will be attempting some power stance shenanigans today, if I can figure out how that works.

I think I've only used magic in Dark Souls 1 on a SL1 pyromancy character. This ain't Harry Potter poo poo, it's big swords to compensate for my tiny tiny penis
I take it that sort of splashing in magic into a build isn't worth it if you can't commit INT points?

KieranWalker posted:

Rob, attacking chests is all well and good. I implore you however to do so carefully. Attacking a wooden chest more than twice will destroy it and reduce its contents to useless rubbish.

This is a really good change. I like it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the broken swords are there as something for the player to use between fists and straight swords. They've graduated from "wet noodle that you can turn into a super secret sword if you've read the wiki" to "thank god I technically have a weapon now".

This, I don't like as much. Turning that lovely stub from the Asylum into Artorias' sword was an awesome moment from the first game.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 21, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 8:

Got to a new place! Kinda. gently caress a skeleton. Bone boning. Boning out.

Gonna restore my humanity and try to progress in the Heidi Tower tonight. I can only hope Brutus is there for me. WHERE YOU AT BRUTUS

Day 8: horse?
Day 8 (Abridged Version)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

As far as back tracking goes there is one NPC for you to find and MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(1 Boss) in the forest. There is also MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(2 Bosses) and 2 NPCS in the tower of flame. Also there is a giant loving hole in Majula.

:allears: It's hard to pin where you are because all I have to go on is where your bloodstain last was. For example today I'll be carpet bombing the forest again. I'll getcha eventually!

Welp, forgot to post yesterday when I was playing, so I'll let you know that I'm gonna do the tower today. And probably go human. Why the gently caress would i tell you this

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's like the most counterintuitive thing in the world though.

Totally fair. I'm a sucker for the "useless piece of poo poo you get becomes end-game weapon through convoluted bullshit" trope, I guess. :v:

slowbeef posted:

I really think it's not possible for you to finish this in 90 deaths/days. But I am rooting for you. Prove me wrong and good luck!!!!

I'm sure it's possible! I just gotta stop sucking at the game, which is the real holdup. It's that simple, right?

Simply Simon posted:

POWERSTANCE

Two gently caress-off Greatswords [which are actually Ultra Great Swords yada yada...]? He had those babies powerstanced. Needs iirc 45 STR. But then you can slam both of them into enemies at the same time :fuckoff:.

Oh man, that's so appealing, you have no idea. That's what I've always hoped for since first getting a Black Knight Greatsword drop, and I never even realized it.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

I just assumed you were starting a new character, keeping around my soul memory level to gently caress with me. Then I realized that if you did this, you would pass my soul memory level somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd time you successfully killed someone probably. Soul memory really is the loving worst, isn't it? When I first started this LP, I was worried that the hollow invasions would mean too much PvP, but now I'm worried that I'm not gonna get ANY. what a strange turnaround. I guess I can bring up my Soul Memory at points to give you a better guess? Would that even help anything?

Also, at least with Dark Souls 1, Steam don't give a poo poo even if you hack online, which was the best (for PvE exclusive people like me). I assume From's servers are catching hacks for DS2, but there was nothing more fun than watching summoned Sunbros react to an aggression-modded, perma-gravelorded Anor Londo. :unsmigghh:

I figure I'll come back to the forest once I feel confident I can one-shot the enemies, and maybe watch through the Brutus video again to see where the guys are that he took out. For now though, I'm more than a bit worried about that first mace guy cutting off my run today super early. It didn't seem like he had many openings when I fought him last time, and he also doesn't strike me as a particularly forgiving guy to learn the moveset from.

i figure I'll upgrade up to the halberd to give it a shot, but once again the two pieces of advice I've gotten on this one are entirely paradoxical. Granted, I trust you a bit more than a random YouTube commenter. I know I thought that it was ridiculous how you could simply poke someone with the hilt for full damage in DS1, but it seems really restricting to be sort of forced to keep foes at range. Totally understand the change, though.

Realglad I don't have to commit myself to try out movesets though. Had a DS1 character I just gave up on after throwing in enough souls to one hand the Asylum Demon's hammer and realizing that I loving hated the moveset.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 9:

Jesus loving Christ, Glencour. At least I made some progress and got a useful-ish ring? I'm sick of these loving giants though.

Priorities going forward: Level up str to 20 to one-hand the halberd. Fight boss. Kill boss. I might just use another effigy today, since I seem to have more than enough of them.

I still really want to get invaded too. It's been too drat long so far.

Day 9: The Memes...
*abridged video coming soon*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

when I suck em in.

Wait, is there some sort of reverse invasion covenant? Sounds loving dope.

Simply Simon posted:

you really shouldn't worry about PvP. There will be enough opportunities to get PLENTY of that in. Just not the invasion kind. Though SotFS is well equipped to help you out with that :haw:.

I have no idea what you're alluding to, but I like it. Invading is kinda boring, and from what you said on Skype, that's the least fleshed out PvP in DS2. I'M READY TO DIE, INTERNET, PLEASE TAKE ME

Fat and Useless posted:

Heide's tower of flame can go to hell.

Already agree, just based on the giants. The Anor Londo giants were more or less my least favorite thing to fight in DS1, so I'm glad there's an area that's nothing but those. FUN.

As a non-LP note, this is the view from my computer chair right now:

Supposed to snow for at least the next 24 hours, and my power will likely be gone for at least a day. In this case, I'll just record 2 deaths a day until caught up. Woo, weather.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
New video is having problems uploading due to snow, as well as the video being very long.

That being said, if you want to invade me, I'm gonna start in 10 minutes. Hit me up at The Lost Bastille :whatup:

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 10:

Well, snow made this one take loving forever to upload thanks to the internet cutting out periodically. Could have also posted Day 11, but decided to prioritize the abridged videos for this one cause it's loving long uncut.

Not to say this is where The Real Dark Souls Begins, but I feel much more confident about beating the game in 90 deaths now. SIMON BACK ME UP HERE

Day 10: Weiner Holdin'
Day 10 (Abridged Version, Part 1)
Day 10 (Abridged Version, Part 2)

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 25, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Lol, seriously? Dark Souls II: about as objectionable as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Lore question: What the gently caress is probably-Ornstein doing in this game? Nothing from the first game at all, then BAM, Dragonslayer's back, bitches.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 11:

My boy Simon and I go clothes shopping. FRUMPTOOB is looking loving fab with that feather if I do say so myself. loving fab FRUMPTOOB feathers.

Day 11: Fashion Souls 101
Day 11 (Abridged Version)

Should be up to date sometime tomorrow if everything goes well. Have Day 12 rendered out already, but not sure if I'll get the necessary 15 hours to upload both the full and abridged versions tonight. :shepface:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tzmshizm posted:

Oh hi, I'm Nick, a guy Rob talked to over a video coming up in a day or two. Happy to be here!

So, I'm one of the people who messaged Rob on Twitter when he mentioned seeing if people were interested... and after a good number of issues on both sides, we finally recorded an episode! Awesome!

Yeah! And this should be up tonight/tomorrow morning. Can't make promises because ice and internet and a huge clusterfuck here in the mountains. Soon though...

Lizard Wizard posted:

I heard a stupid explanation that doesn't hold up if you think about it, but I love it: Ornstein and Smough in the first game were illusions. :allears:

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's not that unlikely considering that they were told to guard Princess Gwynevere and she's also an illusion. The fact that they can and will repeatedly hand you your rear end on a platter says otherwise though.

I think my favourite theory is that people just kept dressing up as Ornstein because he was a cool guy and it turns out spears are the best weapon to slay dragons with. I think a few other places suggest Heide is involved with darkness and the remains of the abyss later in the game too so that would explain his use of darkness.

I like this, but I assume O&S are still there if you kill Gwyndolin first? What happens to Gwynevere if you kill Gwyndolin beforehand, by the way? I never actually turned Anor Londo dark, so I have no idea of what was really going on with the illusions there.

KieranWalker posted:

Another oddity, which you'd only have noticed if you took your time to look around down there with a torch: The shattered remains of the Lordvessel are sitting in the basement of the house in Majula.

:monocle: That's pretty drat cool! Gonna check that out in a later video if I remember.

FailAtMagic posted:

I think the mainstream theory is that dragenleic is lordran after hundreds if not thousands cycles of someone re-lighting the fire

What's else supports this? The geography is just so completely different that I have a hard time believing it.

Simply Simon posted:

blue sentinels

It's a shame that the invasion mechanics are wonky in this game, cause that sounds like potentially a cool covenant! If not needlessly complicated. I do like the look of that guy's armor/halberd too... Fashion souls, bitch.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just so y'know, you don't have to be super careful with the black gunpowder barrels. They explode if they take FIRE damage, but you can just break them by rolling or whatever.

I keep hearing this, but the sheer amount of explosions from enemy attacks, as well as my own, is making me real skeptical.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 25, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 12:

Got a new guest this time! Nick (forums user tzmshizm) joins me for a wonderful time blowing poo poo up, making moderate progress, and oh goddammit here comes the loving pursuer i still haven't beat him one v one poo poo

Day 12: Boom Goes the Dynamite (feat. tzmhero)
Day 12 (Abridged Version)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne posted:

*commentary stuff*
Send me a Skype invite and we can hash out a time! My name on there is frothypogs.

Fat and Useless posted:

Day 12 Let me start counting the soul memory...

I'm going to assume you died horribly day 13 and made no progress to the next zone and I should still invade the day 12 area.

Day 13 I went to the wharf and got killed by a motherfucker named Craig.
Do what you will with that. I'll be playing ~2-3 hours from now (around 10 EST).

gently caress Craig.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 13:

Well, that's an invasion. Watching the video for editing made me cringe at how bad I am at PvP. Could have probably beat this guy just by attacking over and over. OH WELLLL.

Day 13: Butthorn
Day 13 (Abridged Version)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

gently caress Brutus.

Edit: Used 55 orbs no luck.

Oh don't worry, the reason for missing out on an invasion will be very clear soon. I never left the Wharf though! :v:

Lizard Wizard posted:

On that note, given how many lifegems and bones you seem to be blowing through, have you considered investing in faith?

I really really should. I didn't use a single miracle in any playthrough of DS1, but it really seems like it would be useful due to the focus on consumable healing in this game. DS1 would literally throw you a bone at each boss, so Homeward wasn't necessary. Will probably check out the miracles merchant once I have some souls to blow through after another boss.

Simply Simon posted:

Congrats on beating the Ruin Sentinels!

The Large Club is nice, but I think the Great Club is a little better. But that's the first giant piece of wood to smash enemies with I was hinting at which you would probably get soonish. Worth a try if you like SMASHIN FOOLS, if you're perfectly happy with the Halberd, no real need to bother.

By the way, I forgot to mention that last time in the room you died in - if you go over the balcony, you can push the explosive barrel down that's just standing there (simply walk into it). It's fun!

Also, you really want to talk to the tiny dude again who's going on about Bells. He's got an offer you cannot refuse. But I should give you a disclaimer about that: hanging around in Belfry Luna too long might be hazardous to your health...

I think I'm gonna gently caress with the Large Club for a bit, but I noticed I got a second halberd in this video! Powerstance halberds, maybe? Gah, so much weird mechanics to work towards in this game.

Will probably go talk to the tiny man again, but not sure if I want to gently caress with the belfry yet. I'm assuming those exploding motherfuckers from the skeleton hallway are actually an enemy there, and I really don't want to deal with that immediately.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 14:

gently caress.

Day 14: A Day Well Spent

Caught up now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

You walked into water didn't you?

:allears:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just to save you a load of trouble, she doesn't actually move to Majula. She should be next to that weird device in the tunnel leading to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Will probably be checking this out tonight, as I'm a little burrned out on the wharf after this one.

Simply Simon posted:

OH, and I finally remembered what I wanted to tell you three vids ago and forgot. In some areas where you've beaten bosses, you might see a "Nullify Human Effigy Effect" on Bonfires and a buff symbol that's a crossed out Eye Orb. That's something that came with a relatively recent patch - after killing a boss, you now get a 30-minute grace period of no invasions. You can also get this by burning an Effigy on a Bonfire yourself. Something to keep in mind if you WANT invasions (your own are blocked, too, but I think you can be summoned) and/or are just wondering what up, and if you really do not care to be invaded, it's also good to know of course.

Was wondering about this! I saw the buff icon and figured it was something with me getting cursed by the Pursuer in the same video. The curse is solely hollowing out, right?

I'll let George know you're down for Austrian hunting sometime. I'm sure he would love it!

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Abridged version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCLCTT1cZYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 15:

Next time on FRUMPTOOB Mysteries: our hero wanders into some very spooky places that aren't a Wharf! Skeletons! Zombies! Creepy guys with sickles! Will he find a cleverly hidden key with the help of his sidekick, Katheryn? Will he finally beat a boss without having to summon multiple aids like a little bitch? Will The Fat Man ruin his day? Will he live more than 30 seconds this time? (yes, to the last one)

Stay tuned to find out!

Day 15: The Mystery of the Bonfire Key
Day 15 (Abridged, part 1/2)
Day 15 (Abridged, part 2/2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

"You have invaded the world of Jew Hunter"

How nice a man of the Jewish faith who is a hunter.

I'd kill these people but I don't want to raise my soul memory.

Really the whole plan is held up with duct tape and it will be some miracle if I actually do invade him. Maybe it's all just to unsettle him, get in his head, make him slip off planks as he twitches at shadows of a fat man. When it does happen he'll know it happened.

Always good to see someone who's both proud of their heritage and hobbies. Warms my heart in this age of irony and hatred.
I'll try to remember to bring up my soul memory, but I keep loving forgetting once I start the recording. :shrug: Once again, I'm comically bad at PvP. Like my only PvP victory in DS1 was invading the Burg with a post-Lordvessel SL1 character. I deserve to be killed over and over, most likely from my own incompetence.

Don't think I'm gonna do any exceptions to the one death a day rule. It will ruin the purity of this run if I do any sort of exception to one death a day. I think I may join the bell covenant for reasons discussed on Skype (recharging estus when bored at the end of long videos), but...

Fat and Useless posted:

That being said belfry isn't even the best PvP!

there's no penalty in DS2 for switching covenants, right? Might be fun to jump between a few of them over the course of the LP. I dunno.There are options! This is only 1/6th of the way through, after all.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread