Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Problem description: Since I got hoe Thursday night, my computer has not properly booted up. Each time it tries, it seems to be going through some sort of tests ("Attempting to Diagnose" or something pops up after POST). It finally stopped looping and brought up what seems to be a recovery environment. For some reason, I found "SrtTrails" which says my "spaceport.sys" is corrupted, but fails to fix it.

Attempted fixes:
Have run "sfc" tool, which finds issues but can't fix it. Says something about Windows Protection preventing it. It might be because I'm loading for that recover environment or a recovery USB drive, but I haven't gotten it to work following online guides.
I've looked into loading previous versions/restore points, but none where made. (Because it's not default behavior anymore?)

Recent changes: A thousand and one failed attempts at a single update from December and some ATI updates that didn't fully update.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Core i5, MSI motherboard, ASUS Radeon something.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

If the answer is to reinstall/reset/refresh, will I lose my Steam saves? I believe they're stored outside of the game's SteamApps folder, because I've deleted several and redownloaded them to find my saves intact. It's really the only thing I care to really save, if push comes to shove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of HD and PSU are you using? It sounds possible the HD might be dying or reinstallation is necessary..

BirdOfPlay posted:

If the answer is to reinstall/reset/refresh, will I lose my Steam saves? I believe they're stored outside of the game's SteamApps folder, because I've deleted several and redownloaded them to find my saves intact. It's really the only thing I care to really save, if push comes to shove.

If you reinstall you'd lose everything AFAIK.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zogo posted:

What kind of HD and PSU are you using? It sounds possible the HD might be dying or reinstallation is necessary..

Yeah, my HD is over 8 years old now. I have already splurged for a new one, so it's now more of an issue of saving my data and saves.

quote:

If you reinstall you'd lose everything AFAIK.
I meant reseting. It says it keeps files but deletes programs. I assume this means it preserves the User folders. If that's the case, does that include the AppData and/or VirtualStore folders (where, I believe, most of my game saves will be)?

Yes, I do realize how goony of a concern this is, but, really, what else is there to really be concerned about when your computer dies?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BirdOfPlay posted:

Yeah, my HD is over 8 years old now. I have already splurged for a new one, so it's now more of an issue of saving my data and saves.

You can run the portable zip edition of CDI on it to see if it's getting errors: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

BirdOfPlay posted:

I meant reseting. It says it keeps files but deletes programs. I assume this means it preserves the User folders. If that's the case, does that include the AppData and/or VirtualStore folders (where, I believe, most of my game saves will be)?

Yes, I do realize how goony of a concern this is, but, really, what else is there to really be concerned about when your computer dies?

Oh I'm not sure about that. Haven't used steam in sometime and don't have much W10 experience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

You could do a fresh install on the new HDD and then copy over anything needed from the old drive. If the existing drive is dying then any more operations involving it, including trying to get Windows working on it, just make complete failure more likely and possibly render it totally nonfunctional, even for data recovery purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Forgot to check back in, but I got my computer working a few days ago. It only took a new hard drive and new RAM. Yes, besides having a crashing, my memory was going out too. I only found this out when I couldn't do a clean install to the new hard drive and ran MemTest.

Thanks for y'all's help! Sarcastic, you were right: dicking around with the bad drive caused a something that wiped out 40-60 GB from the drive, include my entire user folder.

• Locked thread