Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

I loving love Warbits and really hope they add more campaign missions someday.

We had online games going for a bit but they way they handle players not taking their turn within 24 hours or so really ruins it.

Obligatory Tanto mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anyone has tried to get a refund from Playdek for TS Kickstarter? All I get from my emails to playdek are delivery errors.

Which is very poetic and a perfect ending to the Kickstarter debacle, but I'm a materialistic person and want my :10bux::10bux: back.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What happened with that particular kickstarter?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

A year later (two? something like that) and they couldn't deliver the iOS version to buyers, so now they are giving refunds. They did manage to hand out some codes to American backers, but international ones are screwed.

Mails to Playdek support requesting refunds bouncing back is very fitting.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 26, 2016

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Man, Playdek has really taken a bit of a fall, hasn't it?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Fat Samurai posted:

Mails to Playdek support requesting refunds bouncing back is very fitting.

https://twitter.com/Playdek/status/757789269180030976

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Beautiful :cripes:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

iOS Board Games: the Twilight Struggle is down for maintenance right now, please try again later!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Refund has arrived :dance:

Refund has been spent in worse boardgames :suicide:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What's the brew-ha-ha about the TS kickstarter?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

jeeves posted:

What's the brew-ha-ha about the TS kickstarter?

They couldn't actually deliver promised copies of the game to non-US backers.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Anyone here who can give me an opinion on Heroes of Normandie?
It looks interesting but I don't want to waste 15 bucks.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

the panacea posted:

Anyone here who can give me an opinion on Heroes of Normandie?
It looks interesting but I don't want to waste 15 bucks.

Alex Connoly says it's a 5 out of 5. I haven't tried it personally.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

Alex Connoly says it's a 5 out of 5. I haven't tried it personally.

For the conspiracy nuts out there, it should be noted that Pocket Tactics is owned by the game dev (Slitherine).

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Kris xK posted:

For the conspiracy nuts out there, it should be noted that Pocket Tactics is owned by the game dev (Slitherine).

I think it's fair to say you're not a "conspiracy nut" if you distrust a review for a game when the reviewers work for the developers of said game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To be fair, they do say in the review that they are part of Slitherine.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair, they do say in the review that they are part of Slitherine.

and it didnt take them 4 months to do it this time around

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Speaking of, are there ANY review sites out there for this dumbest of gaming platforms that aspired to the level of gaming snobbery that pocket tactics had? It was p much the only useful news site for my tastes before the sale to slitherine but i can't read anything on pt with good faith anymore.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is available for $4.99. Expansion is $2.99

http://appshopper.com/games/agricola-all-creatures-big-and-small

ChikoDemono fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 10, 2016

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ChikoDemono posted:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is available for $4.99. Expansion is $2.99

http://appshopper.com/games/agricola-all-creatures-big-and-small

Is this a personal endorsement of the app's quality or merely an announcement of the release?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Merely an announcement. Haven't tried it yet

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
It's by the same devs who did patchwork, so I think it's solid.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Cross posting from the games thread that Galaxy Trucker is $3 right now.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
What are some tips for getting better at Twilight Struggle? I always seem to fall way behind by round 4 or 5, and most of my victories are due to getting an early lead on claiming Europe and a lucky Europe scoring.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
There's a new Galaxy Trucker expansion out, with new campaign content.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Inadequately posted:

What are some tips for getting better at Twilight Struggle? I always seem to fall way behind by round 4 or 5, and most of my victories are due to getting an early lead on claiming Europe and a lucky Europe scoring.

Play influence most rounds (this is really important, my early losses were almost all due to too much playing of events and coups). Try focusing more on Asia and even Africa than Europe.

This site has a lot of good stuff:
https://twilightstrategy.com/new-to-twilight-struggle/

disclaimer: I've never played a human opponent so I'm sure I suck in the grand scheme of things, but I can pretty easily beat the AI now.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Have the expansions for Dominion ever gone on sale? I really like Dominion, especially the thought of it hauling boxes of cards around to play. However, $15/expansion is INSANE.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Aggro posted:

Have the expansions for Dominion ever gone on sale? I really like Dominion, especially the thought of it hauling boxes of cards around to play. However, $15/expansion is INSANE.

That's insane in how much of a loving deal that'd be. The larger expansions are 3x that for MSRP, though you can easily find them for $30 each on the major sites, including Amazon. Only way to get a better deal is to wait for one of Amazon's board game sales and hope there's some B2G1 free deal or whatever, though I don't think I've seen many board game sales that included the Dominion expansions. Maaaaaybe Barnes & Noble if you luck into a coupon and they actually have an expansion or two.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Did they ever fix the app such that it got better than isotropic was however many years ago?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Mega64 posted:

That's insane in how much of a loving deal that'd be. The larger expansions are 3x that for MSRP, though you can easily find them for $30 each on the major sites, including Amazon. Only way to get a better deal is to wait for one of Amazon's board game sales and hope there's some B2G1 free deal or whatever, though I don't think I've seen many board game sales that included the Dominion expansions. Maaaaaybe Barnes & Noble if you luck into a coupon and they actually have an expansion or two.

Every board game sells expansions for $15-$30, but just about every iPad board game sells expansions for somewhere between $2 and $7. Examples: Small World, Catan, Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ticket to Ride.

It's the difference between a physically manufactured product and blinking lights on my phone. Why is Dominion literally the only iPad game charging $15 for expansions? At the very least, a discount for those that I already have physical copies of would be reasonable to ask for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aggro posted:

$15/expansion would be approximately 50% off, so yeah, that's insane.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Aggro posted:

Every board game sells expansions for $15-$30, but just about every iPad board game sells expansions for somewhere between $2 and $7. Examples: Small World, Catan, Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ticket to Ride.

It's the difference between a physically manufactured product and blinking lights on my phone. Why is Dominion literally the only iPad game charging $15 for expansions? At the very least, a discount for those that I already have physical copies of would be reasonable to ask for.

Oh, you're talking about the online implementation. Don't buy those, that version is going down at the end of the year in favor of a newer, (hopefully) better one.

e: I'm an idiot, completely forgot I'm posting in the iOS Board Game thread rather than the regular one. But yeah, above advice still stands. Last I heard months ago, for the new version online play is supposed to be subscription based (like a couple bucks a month maybe?), offline play you pay for expansions (don't remember how much but surely less than what Making Fun is charging now for them).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mega64 posted:

Oh, you're talking about the online implementation. Don't buy those, that version is going down at the end of the year in favor of a newer, (hopefully) better one.

e: I'm an idiot, completely forgot I'm posting in the iOS Board Game thread rather than the regular one. But yeah, above advice still stands. Last I heard months ago, for the new version online play is supposed to be subscription based (like a couple bucks a month maybe?), offline play you pay for expansions (don't remember how much but surely less than what Making Fun is charging now for them).

Holy poo poo, me too. Yeah, don't pay for anything on that awful online Dominion service.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Right now, Making Fun has it set up to buy the expansions for $15/each or rent all of the cards for $5/mo.

I'll have to poke around their terrible website to see what the new pricing scheme for 2017 is.

drat, I miss Isotropic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Aggro posted:

Right now, Making Fun has it set up to buy the expansions for $15/each or rent all of the cards for $5/mo.

I'll have to poke around their terrible website to see what the new pricing scheme for 2017 is.

drat, I miss Isotropic.

It's a new company taking over, since the Goko/Making Fun deal is finally expiring at the end of the year and unsurprisingly Rio Grande declined to renew the deal. I think one of the people involved in the new version is part of the Dominion Strategy community so I'm optimistic about it being closer to something like Isotropic.

e: There's a whole forum for it on Dominion Strategy. Haven't read too far, but base subscription seems to be $3/month online for all expansions, which seems reasonable to me unless they changed it recently.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 27, 2016

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Mega64 posted:

It's a new company taking over, since the Goko/Making Fun deal is finally expiring at the end of the year and unsurprisingly Rio Grande declined to renew the deal. I think one of the people involved in the new version is part of the Dominion Strategy community so I'm optimistic about it being closer to something like Isotropic.

e: There's a whole forum for it on Dominion Strategy. Haven't read too far, but base subscription seems to be $3/month online for all expansions, which seems reasonable to me unless they changed it recently.

That is the best news I've read in ages.

Man, Donald loving loves his game. He takes this all so personally and seriously -- I sincerely hope that this next attempt at Dominion Online succeeds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Eclipse is :siren: free :siren: today. Expired.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2016

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mega64 posted:

Eclipse is :siren: free :siren: today.

Not in the US

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Seems to be over. Welp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

It was an error.

https://twitter.com/pockettactics/status/793815219432718337

• Locked thread