Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

http://rpmchallenge.com/

It is, once again, that time of year. Clear out the musical cobwebs in your brain, drink your caffeine, and use this month of February to compose/write/produce an entire album!

The RPM Challenge website posted:

The RPM Challenge
This is The Challenge - Record an album in 28 days, just because you can.

That’s 10 songs or 35 minutes of original material recorded during the month of February. Go ahead… put it to tape.

It’s a little like National Novel Writing Month, (NaNoWriMo.org) where writers challenge each other to write 1,700 words a day for 30 days, or the great folks over at February Album Writing Month (fawm.org), who encourage artists to write 14 new songs in February. Maybe they don’t have “Grapes of Wrath” or “Abbey Road” at the end of the month, or maybe they do—but that’s not the point. The point is they get busy and stop waiting around for the muse to appear. Get the gears moving. Do something. You can’t write 1,700 words a day and not get better.

Don't wait for inspiration - taking action puts you in a position to get inspired. You'll stumble across ideas you would have never come up with otherwise, and maybe only because you were trying to meet a day’s quota of (song)writing. Show up and get something done, and invest in yourself and each other.

There's usually an RPM thread every year, and I just got the email about the challenge, so I figured we could all use a thread to discuss our processed for writing, complain about leaving everything to the last minute, collaborate, critique, and/or offer moral support for those who really can't get 10 tracks/35 minutes out over the course of a month (like me :ohdear:)

I'm on there as Robot Cousin (if the nice people at RPM get back to me to figure out why my login is blocked). I don't have anything up there to listen to, because I only ever ended up doing a few tracks the years that I participated. I'm feeling good about this year, though!

Post your music as you make it, or music from past years. As with all things, go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainKirkCameron
Jan 15, 2010
I'm planning on doing a roadtrip or some camping in February, so I decided to start a week early to compensate: https://soundcloud.com/diatohm

Looking forward to listening to the efforts of my fellow goons for inspiration!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just a heads-up, I've been using Audiotool for when I have a quick melody or drumbeat and want to save it for later. Browser-based, cloud storage, etc etc, extension/app for both Firefox and Chrome.

Check it out!

https://www.audiotool.com/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I signed up and haven't yet recorded a damned thing. Help.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

I signed up and haven't yet recorded a damned thing. Help.

Just start. Just get your guitar/keyboard/voice/whatever and record something, anything, then see where it takes you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I've done nothing for this so far. I've been working, but for other people. Good problem to have? :shobon:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Busted my butt on this over the weekend and have enough for a lovely album easily. Now to make it not suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And it's done.

Not an earth-shatteringly great album but it got me off my rear end to actually accomplish something and that's great. I'm sending it in tomorrow and I'll put it on Bandcamp after they've received it.

• Locked thread