Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
china should be given a bunch of japanese women as reparations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

china should be given a bunch of japanese women as reparations

How many?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If China wanted more women they'd stop selectively aborting them.

Okinawa is 500 miles from a democratic country of 25 million people over which China claims ownership, and that the threat of American military force is the only thing that has stopped China from occupying it by force. China has been so bellicose that Vietnam lets our coast guard protect their fishing boats. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/09/us-helps-vietnam-defend-fishermen-who-get-into-trouble-with-china Think about that Noam Chomskey, China's behavior is so gross towards its neighbors that it makes the Vietnamese think we're the good guys!

The US military presence in the Asia pacific is actually good for all the countries there, except for China, and they say so publicly. Okinawans against the US bases there are NIMBYs. They deserve compensation but the bases are a public good.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

If China wanted more women they'd stop selectively aborting them.

Okinawa is 500 miles from a democratic country of 25 million people over which China claims ownership, and that the threat of American military force is the only thing that has stopped China from occupying it by force. China has been so bellicose that Vietnam lets our coast guard protect their fishing boats. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/09/us-helps-vietnam-defend-fishermen-who-get-into-trouble-with-china Think about that Noam Chomskey, China's behavior is so gross towards its neighbors that it makes the Vietnamese think we're the good guys!

The US military presence in the Asia pacific is actually good for all the countries there, except for China, and they say so publicly. Okinawans against the US bases there are NIMBYs. They deserve compensation but the bases are a public good.

Millions of Vietnamese have been considering us the "good guys" since at least 1959, JeffersonClay.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ceiling fan posted:

I had no idea that yet another airstrip on Okinawa was the lynch-pin holding back the red tide of Chinese totalitarianism, and that putting it on another island in the East China Sea or Sea of Japan would bring it all tumbling down.

They're simply moving the base to a less populated area, unfortunately local NIMBY sentiment won't even meet the military halfway. And despite your hysterical language, Okinawa is the centerpiece of countering any actions the CCP might take in annexing the Senkakus or Taipei (or even Okinawa itself).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bro Dad posted:

They're simply moving the base to a less populated area, unfortunately local NIMBY sentiment won't even meet the military halfway. And despite your hysterical language, Okinawa is the centerpiece of countering any actions the CCP might take in annexing the Senkakus or Taipei (or even Okinawa itself).

It's because Okinawans want to remove black people from their island, not that they want US bases gone.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Millions of Vietnamese have been considering us the "good guys" since at least 1959, JeffersonClay.

Yeah but now even the winners think so!

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I see why people don't want to live near a military base, but just as local politics doesn't decide international diplomacy, Detroit's protests alone don't get to shut down a trade deal with the entire rest of the world.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Yeah but now even the winners think so!

We've always known we're the good guys, JeffersonClay, even when we've done bad things.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Why is migf saying okinawans hate black people and that's why they don't want American Bases their?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

as many as it takes to make them comfortable

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

drilldo squirt posted:

Why is migf saying okinawans hate black people and that's why they don't want American Bases their?

I think migf is mostly saying that tongue in cheek but there is a real racial component to people's animosity to GI's.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm saying it because Okinawans are racist as gently caress, and if I won't call them out for their racism, who will? Certainly not other Japanese.

They don't want other Japanese to consider them ~racially impure~ because they live in close proximity to Americans and Okinawan women are free to date non-Japanese men.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm saying it because Okinawans are racist as gently caress, and if I won't call them out for their racism, who will? Certainly not other Japanese.

They don't want other Japanese to consider them ~racially impure~ because they live in close proximity to Americans and Okinawan women are free to date non-Japanese men.

Do you have any articles I can read about this?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ceiling fan posted:

I had no idea that yet another airstrip on Okinawa was the lynch-pin holding back the red tide of Chinese totalitarianism, and that putting it on another island in the East China Sea or Sea of Japan would bring it all tumbling down.

Almost the entire point of the new base is to consolidate the entire US military presence into a single base in the most remote corner of the island in order address the Okinawan complaints about the bases collocated with their population centers being disruptive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is this d&d or gip? I was linked here via phone

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

drilldo squirt posted:

Do you have any articles I can read about this?

I googled the island/dating and found a lot of blogs.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ceiling fan posted:

Then it's good you learned!

Do you think Crimea would have happened if US troops were stationed there? Of course not, there's a reason eastern Europe is begging the us to increase their involvement in the region, the :qq: of nimbys be damned.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah Okinawa is actually sort of critical geographically for military containment of China. Bases in the middle of Japan would be way out of the way geographically to project force into the South and East China Seas. Ideally Taiwan would have all the bases but China would go apeshit if the US directly put bases there so Okinawa is the next best option

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

drilldo squirt posted:

Is there a rule here that racism can only be called out if the perpetrator is white or something?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's not racist to hate and fear marines. It's a perfectly normal and smart thing to do.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

It's not racist to hate and fear marines. It's a perfectly normal and smart thing to do.

It's really not. The crime rate of foreigners in Japan, including those in the military, is lower than that of native Japanese.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

7c Nickel posted:

It's really not. The crime rate of foreigners in Japan, including those in the military, is lower than that of native Japanese.

Lol if you believe this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

Lol if you believe this

Ok, this should be good. What exactly are you basing this on?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

Lol if you believe this

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2008/02/26/community/u-s-military-crime-sofa-so-good/#.VqEgy_krKUk

http://www.stripes.com/news/okinawa-crime-statistics-contradict-community-perceptions-on-guam-1.51863

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

quote:

On-base arrest data is not released.
If you know anything about crime statistics, you'd know that arrest rates are pretty much one of the worst measures to use. Doubly so if your numbers specifically exclude the place where the target population lives. Not to mention the whole "blanket curfew" thing that applied during the period. There's the related issue that arrest rates drop whenever language and cultural barriers exist. This is a debate you see when people talk about the "true" crime rates in immigrant enclaves in the early 20th century, as well as in the modern context.

Of course, if we had better numbers or used better outcome measures, then we could be more definite, but conveniently the military tries to not release actual figures. And attempts by journalists to investigate don't find promising results. See: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/09/sexual-assaults-us-military-japan-prison-unlikely

And anyone familiar with Army or Marine JAG will know how this works - crimes against locals, especially vulnerable populations (e.g., foreigners, prostitutes, etc.), are covered up by the military + local authorities whenever possible.

This also accords with the crime rates of soldiers stationed in the US, which magically seems to resolve when they go overseas to a degree depending on how amenable the host government is. (see: Germany vs. Japan, etc.)

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 21, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's not the confusing part. The confusing part is the implication that the rest of Japan is somehow more racially enlightened, when in fact they're the equivalent of northeastern liberals who rail against racism in the deep south, but flee for outer ring suburbs when a black family moves in next door.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rangpur posted:

That's not the confusing part. The confusing part is the implication that the rest of Japan is somehow more racially enlightened, when in fact they're the equivalent of northeastern liberals who rail against racism in the deep south, but flee for outer ring suburbs when a black family moves in next door.

Okinawans themselves are barely considered Japanese by the rest of Japan anyway.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rangpur posted:

It's not too bad in the major cities, but you get further out in the more rural areas and you get old Japanese dudes running out of the lovely gas station they're running screaming "NO GAIJIN" at the top of their lungs with arms crossed above their head. Like drat dude I'm just trying to get to the beach

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

If you know anything about crime statistics, you'd know that arrest rates are pretty much one of the worst measures to use. Doubly so if your numbers specifically exclude the place where the target population lives. Not to mention the whole "blanket curfew" thing that applied during the period. There's the related issue that arrest rates drop whenever language and cultural barriers exist. This is a debate you see when people talk about the "true" crime rates in immigrant enclaves in the early 20th century, as well as in the modern context.

Of course, if we had better numbers or used better outcome measures, then we could be more definite, but conveniently the military tries to not release actual figures. And attempts by journalists to investigate don't find promising results. See: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/09/sexual-assaults-us-military-japan-prison-unlikely

And anyone familiar with Army or Marine JAG will know how this works - crimes against locals, especially vulnerable populations (e.g., foreigners, prostitutes, etc.), are covered up by the military + local authorities whenever possible.

This also accords with the crime rates of soldiers stationed in the US, which magically seems to resolve when they go overseas to a degree depending on how amenable the host government is. (see: Germany vs. Japan, etc.)

I guess I don't, but what would be a better way to figure out if the U.S. military is nothing but a bunch of criminal rape monsters in relation to the local populace? Also, base access is heavily restricted. I don't believe locals are just hanging out on post to get assaulted and then have it covered up.

quote:

Now let’s turn to the U.S. military in Okinawa. There are about 42,570 SOFA-covered Americans living in the prefecture. In 2006, 63 SOFA-covered individuals were arrested for penal code offenses. Eleven arrests for special law violations can be estimated. A little math using these numbers gives us an arrest rate of 0.174 percent, about half that of Japanese in Okinawa (0.342) and the entire country (0.351).

Shocked? I am! It’s particularly surprising when you consider that almost half the U.S. military population is 25 years old or younger. In fact, 80 percent of U.S. service members are younger than 35. And men comprise nearly 85 percent of the U.S. military force.

If we were to attribute 80 percent of arrests of Japanese in Okinawa to men and women aged 15 to 64, a group that makes up 65.1 percent of the prefecture, the arrest rate among Japanese in this age bracket in Okinawa would rise to 0.420 percent. In fact, we would have to attribute 67 percent of arrests in Okinawa to those under the age of 15 and over the age of 64 before the arrest rate of Japanese in the 15-to-64 age bracket would fall below that of SOFA-covered individuals in the area. Shocking indeed!

Let’s not pretend, though, that living among foreigners trained to kill is Disney in fatigues. On-base arrest data is not released. Environmental issues and land-use concerns abound. And noise has always been a problem.

However, there were no arrests in Japan of SOFA-covered individuals for rape or sexual assault in 2006, even though the NPA did arrest 1,094 Japanese for rape and another 4,733 for sexual offenses — that’s nearly 16 a day.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

spacetoaster posted:

I guess I don't, but what would be a better way to figure out if the U.S. military is nothing but a bunch of criminal rape monsters in relation to the local populace? Also, base access is heavily restricted. I don't believe locals are just hanging out on post to get assaulted and then have it covered up.

Most rapists are not arrested at the scene of the crime, they are accused later and arrested where they live. This applies to many other crimes as well. None of those would be recorded as an arrest by Japanese Police.

The best way would be to look at figures that the military tries not to release. But independent investigations have not borne out promising results. And, again, figures from the US show that military bases aren't at all harmless to the local area when they're located on American soil. It's suspicous to assume they suddenly will overseas without better evidence.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Your link seems to pretty misleading. The title and picture seem to be about crimes against the Japanese populace when the cases the article cites all seem to be about rapes committed within the armed forces. I don't disagree that the US military has a completely hosed up record of handling internal sexual assault, but that's not what we were talking about.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

Most rapists are not arrested at the scene of the crime, they are accused later and arrested where they live. This applies to many other crimes as well. None of those would be recorded as an arrest by Japanese Police.

What is the SOFA for then? You commit a crime off base you can absolutely be arrested by the local police on base. Granted, normally the MP's will snag you (if you're on post) and hand you over.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

tsa posted:

Is there a rule here that racism can only be called out if the perpetrator is white or something?

I'm interested in an analysis of Japanese racism. What do I need to do to make this clearer?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
If anyone is looking for a good documentary on this subject I would definitely check out Yakuza III.

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm interested in an analysis of Japanese racism. What do I need to do to make this clearer?

Just a joke my bud. For serious though, overt racism is extremely common in most Asian countries-they don't really do dog whistles there and the sorts of anti racism movements like you see in the west are non existent.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

spacetoaster posted:

What is the SOFA for then? You commit a crime off base you can absolutely be arrested by the local police on base. Granted, normally the MP's will snag you (if you're on post) and hand you over.

If you are arrested on base, those will not go into the statistics you were citing because they specifically do not include arrests on base. And while you can be arrested, whether you are is a very tricky political matter and much of the time, unless it's something too extreme to cover up (murder, rape of child, violent rape of non-prosititute) local police will not push for custody, and leave it to military authorities who often just use NJP or similar internal punishments.

This was a bigger issue in the past when Japan was much weaker politically, and you could literally get away with murder with no local investigation and at most a slap on the wrist from the military. There were a number of infamous cases in Japan, Korea, and the Philippines circa 60s-80s where this happened.

7c Nickel posted:

Your link seems to pretty misleading. The title and picture seem to be about crimes against the Japanese populace when the cases the article cites all seem to be about rapes committed within the armed forces. I don't disagree that the US military has a completely hosed up record of handling internal sexual assault, but that's not what we were talking about.

What? The article is specifically about the handling of sex crimes committed by servicemembers in Japan:

quote:

At US military bases in Japan, most service members found culpable in sex crimes in recent years did not go to prison, according to internal Department of Defence documents. Instead, in a review of hundreds of cases filed in America’s largest overseas military installation, offenders were fined, demoted, restricted to their bases or removed from the military.

In about 30 cases, a letter of reprimand was the only punishment.
These cases specifically include ones where a servicemember was accused, either by another servicemember or by a civilian. The breakdown for the specific cases in the AP's report was: "at least 323 of the alleged victims also were in the military. Civilians were the accusers in 94 cases, but in nearly 200 cases the alleged victim's status was unclear." The reports may also not be complete, and there may be more that were not covered by the FOIA request (FOIA is really finicky and a PITA).

quote:

Further, the data echos decades of accusations by Japanese civilians against U.S. military service members who, they say, have committed crimes such as rape with "impunity."

See also:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-militarys-sexual-assault-problem-is-worse-than-people-realize-2015-5

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of sex-related crimes occurring in U.S. military communities is far greater than the Defense Department has publicly reported, a U.S. senator said Monday in a scathing critique that asserts the Pentagon has refused to provide her information about sexual assaults at several major bases.

The spouses of service members and civilian women who live or work near military facilities are especially vulnerable to being sexually assaulted, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., said in a report. Yet they "remain in the shadows" because neither is counted in surveys conducted by the Defense Department to determine the prevalence of sexual assaults within the ranks, the report said.

"I don't think the military is being honest about the problem," Gillibrand said in an interview.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 22, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

If you are arrested on base, those will not go into the statistics you were citing because they specifically do not include arrests on base.

I will admit that the article in question doesn't include blotter reports from the bases in okinawa.

Mange Mite posted:

And while you can be arrested, whether you are is a very tricky political matter and much of the time, unless it's something too extreme to cover up (murder, rape of child, violent rape of non-prosititute) local police will not push for custody, and leave it to military authorities who often just use NJP or similar internal punishments.

This is the part I'm curious about. How do you know this? Like, your saying that all the rapes, and other crimes, are covered up by the Okinawan and Military authorities? That's pretty huge.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 22, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pretty sure "arrests on base" is referring to crimes processed by UCMJ, not literally they don't count crimes processed by the local justice system if the initial apprehension is on base.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
http://www.smh.com.au/world/south-china-sea-vietnam-accuses-china-of-dragging-oil-rig-into-its-waters-20160120-gmafr1.html

Sydney Morning Herald posted:

Bangkok: Vietnam has accused China of towing a $1 billion oil rig into disputed waters of the South China Sea in a potential re-run of a stand-off that sparked violent anti-Chinese riots in Vietnam in 2014.

Vietnam's Foreign Ministry claims the deep-water rig was towed into disputed waters last Saturday and demanded that it be withdrawn.

But China's Foreign Ministry hit back, saying the rig is operating in "Chinese controlled waters that are completely undisputed."

"We hope the Vietnamese side can view this calmly, meet China half-way and jointly work hard to appropriately handle relevant maritime issues," said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei.

The alleged on-going reclamation of Subi Reef by China is seen from Pag-asa Island in the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, western Palawan Province, Philippines. Photo: AP

Man I wonder why there are still those evil racist rapist filled military bases in Okinawa????

Not only do they rape each other but they have rape rates 10x the normal japanese rates (they are so low that sometimes they just don't report the crimes because no japanese actually commits rape).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Chairman Yang has all his sea terriformers raising terrain on that one tile. He's going to build an airbase there when he's done.

China has created an island construction arms race in the South China Sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_wall_of_sand

Above image demonstrating why Okinawans who value their freedom in Japan might actually benefit by hosting a massive US military contingent.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread