Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
So I leave my computer on all the time - fell asleep watching Netflix last night and woke up to notice the computer still running, but nothing on the display. I rebooted and got stuck at the POST screen (MSI 870A-G54 motherboard). It stops after initializing USB devices and counting the RAM. PS/2 Keyboard does not work - it lights up on boot but I can't enter setup or boot sequence. After much trial and error, I narrow it down to my Sandisk SSD (Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25). I find that it will go try to boot and the keyboard works if I unplug the SSD, which of course has the Windows installation. If the SSD is unplugged, I can enter BIOS. I tried updating the BIOS, resetting CMOS, and even tried a new battery, tried swapping RAM, unplugged everything except display and keyboard. Nope, it all comes down to the SSD. Suggestions?

I have read the FAQ
Recent Changes: None

the tingler fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try a different SATA cable on the SSD and a different port.

How old is the keyboard? You might want to try a newer USB one just to be 100% sure it's not the problem in any way.

Also, need to know your full system specs.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Tried two other cables and two other ports. Same problem. The problem happens even if the keyboard is not plugged in.

1989 Model-M keyboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor
G.Skill DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 8GB X2
HIS Radeon HD 5770 Graphics
Thermaltake TR2 430W Power Supply

MSI 870A-G54 motherboard
Sandisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The SSD might've died and is causing electrical issues with the motherboard.

I'd try connecting the SSD to another computer using an enclosure and see if it can be read at all.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Yup, that was it. Thanks. I'll try to RMA it since it's only 2 years old, but frustrating in that I expected the drive to last much longer... I know this is outside the purview of the problem, but if someone were in my shoes, would you just go and buy a better drive from Samsung or Intel?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

burritonegro posted:

Yup, that was it. Thanks. I'll try to RMA it since it's only 2 years old, but frustrating in that I expected the drive to last much longer... I know this is outside the purview of the problem, but if someone were in my shoes, would you just go and buy a better drive from Samsung or Intel?

You mean rather than wait for a replacement?

My preference is still HDDs due to the lower costs. I just backup my data because I know HDDs are likely to fail sooner than the average SSD. If you want another SSD Intel/Samsung seem to have good reputations.

How old is your PSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

SSD prices are coming WAY down. Provided you stay under 1TB, it seems once you hit that the price per GB starts climbing past my limit.

250GB 850-EVOs are roughly around $80, and you can likely find them for less if you hunt around for deals.

Get a 1TB HDD for ~$50 for storage and get a decent 120-250GB SSD for your OS + whatever you want to load quickly.

Obviously this isn't right for everyone, I don't know your money situation etc, but this is what I would do, and actually just did for a buddy I helped build a new computer.

• Locked thread