Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you choose Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle
I chose you, Bulbasaur
I chose you, Charmander
I chose you, Squirtle
View Results

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Exeggutor is underrated. Coconut-eggs it can throw like grenades? And each one is sentient? Metal as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

loquacius posted:

ITT people rationalize their inexplicable affection for a weird purple onion frog that eventually grows into a weird purple flower frog by projecting personality traits onto it even though it never speaks

e: every lame 5-year-old little sister who ever deleted a save-file to make a new one where they farted around Pallet Town for twenty minutes and then stopped playing forever picked Bulbasaur; every overcompensating dorky 7-year-old boy who ever threw a gameboy at a wall because they couldn't beat Brock picked Charmander

Uhhhhh Bulbasaur was aloof and v cool for a Pokemon in the cartoons, Charmander was a baby bitch pushover who had to evolve to be worth anything, and Squirtle was a try-hard that wore sunglasses and they had that whole episode where he almost OD'd on drugs and had to go to the hospital and Ash learned that drugs were bad from Nurse Joy.

Bulbasaur number 1 starter pokemon

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Uhhhhh Bulbasaur was aloof and v cool for a Pokemon in the cartoons, Charmander was a baby bitch pushover who had to evolve to be worth anything, and Squirtle was a try-hard that wore sunglasses and they had that whole episode where he almost OD'd on drugs and had to go to the hospital and Ash learned that drugs were bad from Nurse Joy.

I didn't realize you were sourcing your serious video-games opinion from an anime cartoon for children :smug:

no but seriously even your writeup makes Squirtle sound badass, best starter

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Yeah but then charizrd became a massive rear end in a top hat so I could relate to him.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

loquacius posted:

I didn't realize you were sourcing your serious video-games opinion from an anime cartoon for children :smug:

no but seriously even your writeup makes Squirtle sound badass, best starter

no loquacius drugs are BAD they almost killed squirtle! Ash caught him shootin up with some slimers in an alley, it was a real bad time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

no loquacius drugs are BAD they almost killed squirtle! Ash caught him shootin up with some slimers in an alley, it was a real bad time.

Squirtle knows how to party, but whatever I guess your Bulbasaur says its own name in a sassy manner sometimes and that's cool too

Really though the problem with Squirtle is that he's only the second-coolest turtle starter behind Turtwig

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Okay if we're going nextgen then like...Turtwig and then maybe Mudkip for top cutie patooties

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Here's venusaur's battle sprite for the player's side

What is depicted here. This isn't a pokemon, it's a salad.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lol just lol at everyone trying to justify that charizard isn't the best

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

HJE-Cobra posted:

Here's venusaur's battle sprite for the player's side

What is depicted here. This isn't a pokemon, it's a salad.

Toxic body slam/earthquake razor leaf solarbeam

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Grass moves were really good

Leech seed, vine whip, razor leaf, gigadrain, solar beam

Water moves sucked because They were all outclassed by Surf.

Hydropump was cool but super late. Like lv38?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I still remember I used articuno as my main mon back in the day. a good bird.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I still remember I used articuno as my main mon back in the day. a good bird.
i used my master ball on Zapdos and i felt like a retard when i found out you really needed it to capture Mewtwo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

symbolic posted:

i used my master ball on Zapdos and i felt like a retard when i found out you really needed it to capture Mewtwo

Looks like someone didn't have the prima guidebook with all the stickers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jukeboxblues posted:

lol just lol at everyone trying to justify that charizard isn't the best

Just as choosing Bulbasaur is shorthand for "I'm four", choosing Charmander is shorthand for "I don't actually know how to play this game"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Looks like someone didn't have the prima guidebook with all the stickers
i did have those neat Pokemon handbooks back in the day. i gave them all to my little sister and she loves them. :kimchi:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Nothing like grinding out that butterfree to steamroll Brock to get your heart racing. :whitewater:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

loquacius posted:

Just as choosing Bulbasaur is shorthand for "I'm four", choosing Charmander is shorthand for "I don't actually know how to play this game"

pretty much this, lol if you think having a fire type with flying helps more than hurts

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Exeggutor is underrated. Coconut-eggs it can throw like grenades? And each one is sentient? Metal as poo poo.

he is cool but how the hell do you catch poo poo in the safari zone anyway?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

radiatinglines posted:

he is cool but how the hell do you catch poo poo in the safari zone anyway?
throw a bunch of rocks and hope they get knocked out

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

symbolic posted:

throw a bunch of rocks and hope they get knocked out

Throw rocks until they go away. gently caress off, Nidorino, I'm trying to get the Surf HM :mad:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
lol at paying to catch a tauros

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Tfw you finally catch a scyther and find out it loving blows

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Bulbasaur and Squirtle tied for 2nd place

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is this thread actually revealing the true reason that millennials are terrible? Is the root cause for their many deficits to be found in these Japanese cartoon games?

Makes you think.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
haunter
Alakazoo
PAras
Raichu
Bulbasour
Dug3io

my team

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Paras is your hm slave

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

mdm posted:

pretty much this, lol if you think having a fire type with flying helps more than hurts

lol if you play on easy mode and try to say its smarter just lol

loquacius posted:

Choosing squirtle is shorthand for "I'm a beta bitch and I need help beating this easy rear end game please brock is being mean to me please I will cry if I don't one shot something"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the best starter? its pickachu :grin:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Anyone who chose Squirtle is a retard because you could catch a Magikarp and turn it into a badass Gyarados instead really early into the game

Or one of the other 8 million boring water types

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is this thread actually revealing the true reason that millennials are terrible? Is the root cause for their many deficits to be found in these Japanese cartoon games?

Makes you think.
why is every post you make akin to the scorched-earth policy

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Those military types know no other way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

symbolic posted:

why is every post you make akin to the scorched-earth policy

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

Anyone who chose Squirtle is a retard because you could catch a Magikarp and turn it into a badass Gyarados instead really early into the game

If you spent time leveling a magikarp into a gyarados early in the game without cheating and managed to convince yourself that it was a worthwhile and enjoyable use of your time I envy you

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Just tame that glitched out kangaskhan that can learn fly and surf

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
great thread everyone!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

I never fielded a Mr. Mime and I never will. Mewtwo was my psychic lead and I spammed the poo poo out of him.

lol if you don't use the fastball from azalea town to catch an abra in the first area

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 26, 2016

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

Gyarados was poo poo in Gen 1 because most of the good moves he could learn scaled off his terrible SpA stat instead of his attack, he had a 4x weakness to Electric, and was slow. Starmie, Slowbro, and in some cases Vaporeon were the good water types.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

my elite 4 team:

Tittymack
Henry Jerkins
Godsmack
lapras
Angry hut man
sad worm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods