Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/02/american-truck-simulator-releasing-today.html

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poil posted:

Driving to Oregon sounds like a terrible idea. All that dysentery and lack of bridges.

This joke would be better if Ford built trucks.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

No preorder crap AND an early release?

drat, truck sim developers really are much classier than their subject material begs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HardDisk posted:

This joke would be better if Ford built trucks.
They don't? Did they use to or did I get things completely messed up?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Woop woop now I want to take a half day to install my new goodies and play ats

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poil posted:

Well, AFAIK they do build trucks, but not the kind of trucks that ATS is about.

Not sure there's a specific name for those trucks. There should be.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HardDisk posted:

Ah, that explains it. They make weak and puny trucks that are only fit for enemy drivers and to be scraped off your tires.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
You can get a free PC Gamer magazine, mug and window flag thingy for your truck:
http://www.pcgamer.com/win-pcg-goodies-for-your-euro-truck-simulator-2-cab/

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net

Fintilgin posted:

Realistically, it's never going to get expanded enough to get to Maine/New England, is it?

:smith:

i feel you. i live in maine myself. if ATS gets new england represented ingame either officially or as an mod, i will be extremely happy.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Silly question from someone who has never been to North America, but what part of the US is typically considered the most scenic in terms of what you can see from the driver's seat? Which area would look best if represented in-game?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

HardDisk posted:

The 'tractor unit' as British people call it is a weird thing that the US doesn't have a specific term for. Probably "Tractor Trailer Tractor" would be what an American would call it. Ford did make them in the past:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HardDisk posted:

What, utilities/pickups?

e: ^^ Oh those

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Poil posted:

They used to.

HardDisk posted:

"Class 8" is the official/legal/regulatory term in the US, but I think most people call them "semi tractors."

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Fintilgin posted:

Realistically, it's never going to get expanded enough to get to Maine/New England, is it?

:smith:

They better be, how else will I live out my 18 Wheeler fantasies.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the clarifications!

Erwin posted:

Ford did make them in the past:

Now Poll's joke works. :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CheetoRamen posted:

You can get a free PC Gamer magazine, mug and window flag thingy for your truck:
http://www.pcgamer.com/win-pcg-goodies-for-your-euro-truck-simulator-2-cab/

Just FYI, this is for Euro Truck Sim 2, not ATS, so don't worry about not owning the new game, get in on this!

Kopijeger posted:

Silly question from someone who has never been to North America, but what part of the US is typically considered the most scenic in terms of what you can see from the driver's seat? Which area would look best if represented in-game?

EDIT: Aside from the big cities down SW (Vegas, LA, San Francisco, etc), I'd say New England.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I wonder if the less than scenic states will be either extremely cheap or free. I can't imagine people would want to pay to drive through Kansas, or drive the ATS equivalent of Desert Bus.

I also hope there are billboards which can be modded. When Missouri comes along, it won't be complete without the alternating Strip club/Sex shop and Jesus billboards.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

xergm posted:

I wonder if the less than scenic states will be either extremely cheap or free. I can't imagine people would want to pay to drive through Kansas, or drive the ATS equivalent of Desert Bus.

Those areas are very flat and featureless in real life, correct? If it's mostly cornfields and such, I'd guess there'd be relatively little work that needs to be done to represent it in-game. They could simply copy and paste the scenery several times over.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Aside from the big cities down SW (Vegas, LA, San Francisco, etc), I'd say New England.

Seems like the relatively densely populated Northeast and the adjacent areas of Canada would be a good area for DLC. Roughly the rectangle Washington DC - Nova Scotia/PEI - Ville de Québec - Toronto.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

The 'tractor unit' as British people call it is a weird thing that the US doesn't have a specific term for. Probably "Tractor Trailer Tractor" would be what an American would call it. Ford did make them in the past:

We call em lorries, but this includes rigids. Tractor units are usualy known as Artics for articulated. The truck term I think is more a continental thing I dunno.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Everyone's answer to this will be the area where they live, most likely.

For example: If they represent it in game correctly, the Pacific Northwest has some amazing scenery. If they make it generic forest > mountain tunnels > generic wheat fields then it won't be very pretty at all.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Kopijeger posted:

Those areas are very flat and featureless in real life, correct? If it's mostly cornfields and such, I'd guess there'd be relatively little work that needs to be done to represent it in-game. They could simply copy and paste the scenery several times over.

Pretty much, which is why I'd be curious if they're either free, or included as an extra area in a DLC contained more detailed areas. One thing SCS will have to figure out is DLC progression. If their end goal is to make their way to the east coast, they'll probably have to figure out a way to make it contiguous without someone having to run into DLC dependencies.

Otherwise, you'd have vast holes in the unlocked map and no way to actually make a cross-county delivery unless you have all the DLC connecting the east coast to the west coast.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So from what I have seen, the trains look really good, with their fake BNSF loco and all, but are still in euro mode with only five cars or so. I am really hoping that someone will quickly mod them to be a proper length. And yes, I know this would mean sitting for 5 minutes at a crossing, but I would be okay with that. Hopefully modders would have that ability.

As for scenic locations, you have a lot to choose from. The Rocky Mountains are quite scenic, as are their foothills. Some parts of the desert are stunning with red rock formations, you have the industrial wasteland of the rust belt, New England is quite beautiful as well. If they do it right, there should be a lot of variations as you drive across the country.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

xergm posted:

Pretty much, which is why I'd be curious if they're either free, or included as an extra area in a DLC contained more detailed areas. One thing SCS will have to figure out is DLC progression. If their end goal is to make their way to the east coast, they'll probably have to figure out a way to make it contiguous without someone having to run into DLC dependencies.

One possible solution could be to include the major roads connecting the areas with the paid DLC, but nothing else unless you buy the DLC for that particular region. So if you have the base game with California/Nevada/Arizona, and then decide to get a hypothetical Florida DLC but nothing else, then the I-10 from Arizona to the Florida border will be included, but you won't be able to explore those states unless you get the specific DLC.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Could just fade-out teleport you to the next state you have.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Could do a train scenario like the do for england.. drop at train pick up in state

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kopijeger posted:

North America has just about every type of environment I can think of aside from jungles, so it would really depend on taste. If you like wooded areas, I think the North West would be best. Desert areas would be South West, plains Mid West, etc.

West Texas could be excluded from the game entirely and nothing of value would be lost, however.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would think that if you bought DLC that you're not physically connected to (for example, you buy Maine out of the blue as your only DLC years down the road when they finally make it :ohdear:), maybe you'd never get jobs that go between that area and the main area, and you could only work within whatever areas you own. Maybe with a disclaimer saying 'in order to travel between X and Y, some DLC is required.' I'd be fine with that.

Or the fade-out/teleport thing could work.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Steam announcement making some release clarifications

http://steamcommunity.com/games/americantrucksimulator/announcements/detail/988906849503602144

quote:

We cannot dictate the prices for the box edition in retail channels, we can only suggest recommended price (we could get prosecuted for price fixing otherwise), but for your reference, these are the prices that will appear on Steam when the game is cleared for release: $19.99, £14.99, 19,99€, CHF 19.99, 1499 pуб., R$ 79,00, ¥ 2,299, 179,00 kr, Rp 249 999, RM84.00, P899.95, S$26.95, ฿699.00, ₩ 24,000, 59,00 TL, 459₴, Mex$ 349.99, CDN$ 28.99, A$ 28.99, NZ$ 29.99, ¥ 125, ₹ 1,249, CLP$ 14.500, S/.64.95, COL$ 62.000, R 325.00, HK$ 149.00, NT$ 649, 74.00 SR, 72.00 AED.

Windows, Mac and Linux, 64-bit from the start.
Also, 32-bit will be available (as a beta branch on Steam) but unsupported and Windows-only.

You will also need Steam to run the game, as it is using steam as its DRM.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 2, 2016

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

You will also need Steam to run the game, as it is using steam as its DRM.

*in scs blog comment voice*
Ugh, first they charge us money for the game and now they want us to use steam? This is the worst SCS are the worst company ever and where is coach simulator. Scs are worse than EA!!!!!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As a European I think most non-Americans consider California and the desert wastes to the east to be the most iconic stretches of road simply because of movies and Hollywood's positioning.

Anyway, gonna buy this sucker in a few hours. :f5:

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Can't wait until they expand to the east coast and I get to drive on I-95, the most boring interstate.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Can't wait until they expand to the east coast and I get to drive on I-95, the most boring interstate.
Are you not excited for Jersey Simulator 2016?? You can park yourself in traffic for hours!!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

IT IS 6PM PRAGUE TIME WHERE IS THE BUY NOW BUTTON SCS? :f5:

track day bro! posted:

*in scs blog comment voice*
Ugh, first they charge us money for the game and now they want us to use steam? This is the worst SCS are the worst company ever and where is coach simulator. Scs are worse than EA!!!!!

From the announcement:

quote:

We know that not everybody is comfortable with the decision, but for us the benefits are very clear. We will be able to concentrate on improving the game itself, and will not have to lose time and focus maintaining an alternate update and account infrastructure. With Steam, pushing out an update of the game is a matter of one button press. We can take advantage of Steam Workshop to have a central repository of mods, and will not have to create and moderate our own alternate solution. We would really have a hard time having to create our own system to sell, deliver and update game DLCs with equal robustness to Steam's proven infrastructure. We hope that you will understand why we are making this choice.

(emphasis mine for :woop:)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

How much longer?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is Breaker Nine: It's out! I repeat, it's out! Go go go! Over.

E: Downlad is just one gig.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As a very rough (and therefore not extremely accurate) estimate, all the US that wasn't part of the Louisiana Purchase is kind of pretty and scenic.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Kilonum posted:

Steam Workshop

No more browsing shady Russian mod sites to get my crazy :rice: transmissions and engines!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

xergm posted:

No more browsing shady Russian mod sites to get my crazy :rice: transmissions and engines!
Downloading mods for your truck is far less exciting if you don't have to avoid getting a million viruses in the process, though. :v:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I'd like to remind everyone to make/update your World of Trucks profile if you haven't already.
https://www.worldoftrucks.com

You can pick your in-game license plates. Right now you only have a choice between Nevada and California plates.

In ETS2MP, they would actually show op online!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

fun ATS fact: you can copy all the *.sii files in Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\Profiles\<profile> and paste them into Documents\American Truck Simulator\Profiles\<profile> and all your controls will be mapped to what you had them mapped to in ETS2