Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

One step closer to me interviewing you at Sonoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, that'll confirm the Charter.

And probably no new teams for a while.

This field cutting is such crap.

I'll provide an update to my last-place driver list once the official entries are posted.

EDIT: autocorrect

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

SHR, no. Haas pre-2009 when it was the 66 and 70? Yeah. Without a little outside investment, does that team still even exist?

Precisely.

Eliminating the final three spots in the field not only makes it that much harder for start-ups to break in, but serves to punish teams that didn't join the RTA. They want the outsiders to fight against each other for so few spots that it'll be difficult for any of them to run the full season. When those outsiders can't attract any sponsors anymore, it'll just be the 36 charters playing in their own sandbox - just how they've always wanted it.

What I'm curious about is what will happen when underfunded charter teams start to collapse, such as Premium Motorsports and BK Racing. In the past, as with the Top 35 rule, points were sold to new start-up teams so they could make the first few races of the year. I don't see that happening with the charters because I don't see the RTA accepting new members, leaving only the ones who "grandfathered" in. What I see instead is a gradual restructuring of Sprint Cup fields into something similar to Formula One, where the fields are capped at less than 30 cars and any brazen outsiders have to go through "pre-qualifying" just to make it into the final row. And that would suck.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I spent far too much time on this.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I want an open field car to win the pole for the 500 so damned bad.

Too bad it'll almost certainly be Chase Elliott because headlines.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

L_Harrison posted:

So is Chase winning the pole tomorrow basically set in stone? I mean, it's the perfect NASCAR headline. It happens every goddamn year.

Danica's run in 2013 turned the 500 pole into even more of a contrivance than it already was.

And that's saying something since Loy Allen, Jr. has one of those trophies.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJ, I've updated my driver list on the OP Google Docs page. Sorry for taking so long, been feeling like hell all week.

anotherblownsave posted:

When's the last time someone won from the pole in the 500 though? You can fix the start but you can't fix the end.

Edit: of course you can

The last 500 pole and race winner was Dale Jarrett during the snoozefest in 2000. Generally, the last few polesitters did a decent job despite the hype.

Danica 2013: Finished 8th
Austin 2014: Finished 9th
Gordon 2015: Finished 33rd (Led the most laps, crashed out of lead pack on final lap)
Chase 2016: Finished ?

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Peanut President posted:

Cole Whitt finished 17th in his race Gillilland finished 12th in his and neither qualified for the 500 :bravo:

I think you mean Josh Wise not Cole Whitt, but yes that was crap. Couldn't hear the broadcast, but I thought for sure Gilliland had locked himself in. I guess if you're one of the slowest cars, you now have to beat BOTH open cars that were faster than you. Seems like that would be almost impossible, especially if the race goes green and single file for almost the whole distance.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

The big time

Owns.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Pearn Count: 7

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

That really had a lot to do with this finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3b2WgTk-9M

...in which Regan Smith should've been declared the winner because he was forced below the yellow line but wasn't Because NASCAR. So when Carl tried to force him down, Brad did what Smith didn't; held his line.

e- Come to think of it, it's also partially the fault of the yellow line rule and its enforcement. If you wonder why we rip on this sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqk8UyN3fU8

Regan Smith may have won Darlington and even had another great run today, but Talladega 2008 will forever be crap. Not to mention NASCAR put the final nail in DEI's coffin with that decision.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Sunday's race owned. With the slipping and sliding combined with the old FOX music, I thought for a second I was back in 2004 watching a race at Rockingham. All it needed was more starters.

Plus, this ended up the stat of the day:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Not one thing about this surprises me. Trump's in the news more than just about anything and Brian just wants more exposure for himself and the brand. If any other candidate from either party had nearly as much TV time, I'm sure he'd be with that person instead.

I mean, come on, the old man brought Bill Clinton to the Southern 500 during the 1992 campaign trail - two months after Bush Sr. went to Daytona.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Pearn Count: -1

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20160302c

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

NASCAR Nixon put together the best Michael Waltrip video to date.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, I guess it's possible that a Cup driver sponsor in Xfinity wouldn't provide spillover to help fund a second team, but I doubt it.

NASCAR's Trickle-Down Theory: Kes pissing on your head

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I came up with a new name for the Buschwhackers.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

no one ever says "ban Cup teams" just ban the drivers..... well Chase Elliot woulda moonwalked on everyone in the same car had the Cup guys been gone so what's the difference?

That's enough of a difference for me. Chase would've dominated, then ended up in Cup, and someone else leads instead.

I'm not against domination. I'm against Cup regular domination.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Go Sphincter Gurgler! :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Cole Pearn ‏@colepearn 2h2 hours ago

I guess @joeylogano can't see through his squinty douchy eyes.

I don't care if it's childish, it's hilarious.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

LordPants posted:

Remember when Kahne was thr next big thing in the dodge car.

gently caress that was another lifetime.

The CoT and the Evernham team's implosion really set him back from 2007-2010. He basically went through the same skid as Junior, but despite joining him at Hendrick, still hasn't pulled out of it. Maybe his own career resurgence is still a couple years away.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Boomer The Cannon posted:

http://www.catchfence.com/237697/nascar-driver-derek-white-allegedly-targeted-in-tobacco-smuggling-operation

Dude's going to federal pound-me-in-the-rear end prison. It's a 21st century Randy Lanier, except without an ounce of talent.

Looks like we're about as far from racing moonshiners and the Winston Cup as humanly possible.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

As expected, Martinsville is using Kenseth/Logano to sell tickets and people are asking if it's messed up: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/03/31/martinsville-speedway-promotion-kenseth-logano-wreck-nascar-dilemma/82476624/

Those arguing about this are under the mistaken belief NASCAR's sanctioning body is in charge of both suspending drivers and track marketing. Many keep asking "how was the incident bad enough to warrant a two-race suspension, but not bad enough to use in advertising?" Fact is, if your track hosted a controversial wreck and a retiring driver's final win, and you want to sell tickets, you better use both clips in your ads.

The comparisons to Daytona 1979 are also infuriating. Apples and oranges. Donnie, Bobby, and Cale only got slaps on the wrist and weren't suspended for any races. Bill France, Jr. knew what he had and played it up. Brian France got that same opportunity and screwed it up, so Martinsville's promoters had to do it for him.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Gotta say, that was really cool of him.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Was browsing racing clips on YouTube and this Cat Stevens song came up. Wasn't sure why at first.

Then, about a minute twenty seconds in, something magical happened.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Hey, it impressed me. Always thought that theme was original music. Didn't expect to hear it there.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Possibly Chicken posted:

I wasn't joking it's pretty cool, and Kinda off putting hearing it out of nowhere.

My bad didn't mean to come off defensive. I'd just tried explaining this to my brother and he didn't recognize it. Made me think I was the only one hearing it.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Idiot Kicker posted:

This anthem blows rear end. Pass me one of those tacos Mikey.

For those who missed it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqcmzMTtY0

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Lord Crapulus posted:

It's for football. I realize that doesn't make sense.

Speaking of which, FOX just said they have not only sold all the seats for that game, but there's a waiting list of more than 30,000 people.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's still plenty of seats for Sunday.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson

. . .

Erik Jones

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

L_Harrison posted:

So what was the point of the heat races again?

While the heats didn't produce any decent racing in execution, it actually seemed to turn the Buschwhacker phenomenon on its head. While all the Cup guys contended for the win, most of the mid- and lower tier regulars used it as extra practice, making stops to perfect their cars for the main event. A couple regulars ended up having themselves good finishes in the "main," including Brandon Gdovic who got 18th in his first start of the year and Ryan Sieg in 14th (whose teammate parked in both races).

EDIT: And another hard crash Friday at Canandaigua Motorsports Park as Charlie Donk and Darryl Ruggles sustained injuries running 305 sprints. Donk's in guarded condition with a broken sternum and dislocated shoulder. This is the same track where Smoke hit Kevin Ward, Jr.

EDIT2: CBJ already covered the literal reason for the heat races

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 17, 2016

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

So I decided to start collecting 1/24th and 1/25th scale diecasts of race cars in general but oval cars in particular, so have a poo poo quality photo of my first two pieces, a limited run of two of Jumpin' Jack Johnson's modifieds in 1/25th

e- the modern mod is 1 of 852, the coupe is 1 of 504

Cool finds - I haven't really looked at modified diecasts myself.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

i get calling it if they wreck on the backstretch but if you're that close to the finish line you have to just let them race it out. no one is slowing down at that point

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I don't think it's so much of a rules situation as it is an inconsistency when NASCAR throws the caution.

You see a race like the 2007 Daytona 500, where the Big One happens off Turn 4 and they let the leaders cross the line before throwing the yellow. Then you see a race like today, where two cars wreck and they throw the caution a second later.

Through their inconsistency, NASCAR gives us the impression that each wreck is different, so throwing the caution at different times is to be expected. But they're not - the only common denominator is that they happen on the last lap, when the race will be over the moment the leader hits the stripe anyway.

Again, the simplest solution is best: when the white flag flies, whoever gets to the stripe first gets the win. Confusing drivers and angering fans at the most critical moment of any race is unnecessary and completely avoidable.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

To add to that, seven of the last nine Cup fatalities were single-car accidents, and the other two (Earnhardt, McDuffie) were two-car wrecks where the second car didn't play a significant role.

EDIT: Six of the last nine - Terry Schoonover's crash happened with Bobby Hillin. But you get what I'm saying.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 3, 2016

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

NascarNixon just put Hornish.jpg into video form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CC2POrkLEg

Cygni posted:

it's like a perfect pictorial representation of this thread, or racing fandom in general

I didn't notice her quarter-panel right away :lol:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

SwampYankee posted:

That race is why i love stock car racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

we've never seen two different cars with the same sponsor, either

McMurray and Stewart also both ran Bass Pro Shops in the All-Star Race.

• Locked thread