Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ start the season already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Jesus Christ start the season already

Ring the bells ring the bells

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
conca out for 10 weeks, yarran out for 6. the year is starting well for the tigers

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

conca out for 10 weeks, yarran out for 6. the year is starting well for the tigers

This way they can power their way back into the 8 in the last 5-10 weeks en-route to their predetermined 100 point loss in round 1 of the finals.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
While I'm messing around with making that pendulum madness more comprehensible (if not ditching it all together), FOOTY starts a week from now, so I'm dropping the first round's lines. It's based on last year's home-and-away performances so take it a grain of salt, being the first week and all.
code:
ROUND 1
Thu 24 Mar 7:20pm MCG
Richmond vs Carlton
Tip: Richmond by  46 (88%)
    rate  att  def par
RIC 1007   +1 +146 105
CAR  542 -137 -181  59

Sat 26 Mar 1:40pm MCG
Melbourne vs GWS Giants
Tip: GWS Giants by   2 (52%)
    rate  att  def par
MEL  650 -148  -62  80
GWS  792  -42  -26  82

Sat 26 Mar 4:35pm Carrara Park
Gold Coast vs Essendon
Tip: Gold Coast by  11 (60%)
    rate  att  def par
GCO  590 -121 -149  93
ESS  604 -133 -123  82

Sat 26 Mar 7:25pm Docklands
North Melb vs Adelaide
Tip: North Melb by   2 (52%)
    rate  att  def par
NME  881  +75  -54 100
ADE  979 +120   -1  98

Sat 26 Mar 7:25pm SCG
Sydney vs Collingwood
Tip: Sydney by  25 (73%)
    rate  att  def par
SYD 1051  +37 +154  94
COL  925  +42  +23  69

Sun 27 Mar 1:10pm Docklands
W Bulldogs vs Fremantle
Tip: W Bulldogs by  12 (61%)
    rate  att  def par
WBD  999  +80  +59  83
FRE 1002  -31 +173  71

Sun 27 Mar 3:20pm Adelaide Oval
Pt Adelaide vs St Kilda
Tip: Pt Adelaide by  45 (87%)
    rate  att  def par
PAD  927  +48  +19 114
STK  598  -97 -165  69

Sun 27 Mar 7:40pm Subiaco Oval
West Coast vs Brisbane
Tip: West Coast by  82 (98%)
    rate  att  def par
WCE 1218 +180 +178 128
BRL  515 -172 -173  46

Mon 28 Mar 3:20pm MCG
Geelong vs Hawthorn
Tip: Hawthorn by  36 (81%)
    rate  att  def par
GEE  923  +46  +17  75
HAW 1279 +255 +164 111

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hume, do you mind if I play your system in a work tipping comp im in?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Go for it. Just bear in mind that in 50/50 (or even 60/40) situations you'll probably want to work in your hunches as well as it doesn't take into account things like player selections and that sort of thing. Last year was a good year for it for some reason, this year might be different.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Looks like there will be a women's match as a curtain raiser for the first Derby in round 3, Freo have announced their captain:

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-03-16/forth-to-captain-freo-

And this goes someway to explaining why Mayne might not be the most handsome man on the list:

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-03-17/maynes-message

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
i'm bad at supercoach

who should i pick for my team

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Negligent posted:

i'm bad at supercoach

Sam Kerridge

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Negligent posted:

i'm bad at supercoach

https://www.tooserious.net

Git readin'

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
i already picked brownlow favourite p dangerfield

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Negligent posted:

i'm bad at supercoach

Jimmy Toumpas

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...81f96e5c70d162b

quote:

RICHMOND has proposed a glittering third stadium for Melbourne as an alternative to Eddie McGuire’s proposed 60,000-seat extravaganza across the railway tracks.

The Tigers’ Punt Rd Oval master plan centres on a new stadium with up to 40,000 seats and a fans’ zone area between the ground and the neighbouring MCG.

Importantly, Richmond railway station is part of the redevelopment plan.

“Is a third stadium worth exploring? I don’t know, that will be up to the AFL, but we want to be in the discussion,’’ Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale told the Herald Sun.

An architect’s impression of how Punt Rd Oval would look as a 40,000-seat AFL venue, with a rejuvenated Richmond station as part of the master plan.

Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was a key supporter of the plans when they were mooted in 2013 and the cost of an 18,000-seat stadium was put at $180 million.

A capacity increased to 40,000 would mean a blowout to an estimated $380 million.

It is understood senior AFL officials have seen architects’ drawings, revealed by the Herald Sun.

Funding would be expected to come from the AFL and the State Government and would not require the sale of Etihad Stadium, like the McGuire plan.

Punt Rd should be in the frame. It’s an existing venue (and) it wouldn’t require the selling of Etihad Stadium

Brendon Gale

Gale said Punt Rd was an obvious choice for a third venue.

“We are in the process of developing a master plan for this precinct,” Gale said.

“Back in 2013, Demetriou was the driver of this and the attraction for them was having a lower capacity, lower cost stadium for smaller fixtures.

“And also stadium economics and finances are the biggest driver of disparity of wealth (among clubs) and we could try to address that by having a third venue.

“So, Andrew said ‘would you be interested in having a look at it for Punt Rd?’

“Punt Rd should be in the frame. It’s an existing venue, it wouldn’t require the selling of Etihad, and the Richmond railway station has been the agenda for a number of years and maybe this gives the government the opportunity to redevelop that.”

The debate ignited when Collingwood president McGuire suggested a new stadium on the Hisense Arena site prompted the Richmond senior management to put the Punt Rd plans back on the agenda at a meeting two weeks ago. The MCC was also briefed.

There is no State Government engagement as yet, but Gale believes Premier Daniel Andrews, who is also a supporter in principle of McGuire’s stadium plan, should be a substantial funds contributor.

“The economic impact of this game is huge, $3 billion, half a million members, how many fans are there in Victoria?’’ Gale said.

“This game is a huge driver of this economy. And I think we’re entitled to question the extent our government invests in football relative to other states.”

It is understood the AFL favours a refurbishment of Etihad Stadium rather than selling it and building at Hisense Arena, and Gale agrees.

“Our personal view is we keep Etihad Stadium,” he said.

“It’s going to be worth $1 billion and we’ve got an 18th share in that in 2026. It’s a huge asset for the competition.

“So, what’s attractive about this is the capacity of maybe 40,000, which would support the business models of some clubs.”

McGuire’s plan, which would cost an estimated $1 billion, has the support of several clubs and major events king Ron Walker.

But not everyone believes it would be the right move. Former Premier Jeff Kennett has said the idea was already “dead and buried”.

The Tigers have a lease at Punt Rd and would use it as club HQ and training ground.

They believe a redevelopment of the railway station, with a new stadium on the way to the MCG, would enhance one of the world’s best sporting precincts.

Just like I mentioned the other page, upgrading Punt Road oval. Although I'd but the larger stand on the southside as not to overshadow the ground, although there is less room there without shifting the playing surface a bit (which would probably happen anyway)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 17, 2016

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Why again exactly do we need another stadium when there has been zero scheduling conflicts between Ethihad and the MCG and neither are difficult stadiums to get to or watch footy in?

Just gonna leave this here. Pro click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZW5FHefIfY

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

40,000 is too big if Etihad isn't being demolished as well, Tigers just want their own ground

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Why again exactly do we need another stadium when there has been zero scheduling conflicts between Ethihad and the MCG and neither are difficult stadiums to get to or watch footy in?

Just gonna leave this here. Pro click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZW5FHefIfY

I think the idea is smaller grounds means less overheads means easier for clubs to draw a profit on the lesser attended matches.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...81f96e5c70d162b

Just like I mentioned the other page, upgrading Punt Road oval. Although I'd but the larger stand on the southside as not to overshadow the ground, although there is less room there without shifting the playing surface a bit (which would probably happen anyway)

I assume the stand on the south side is smaller to not overshadow the residences on the other side of Punt rd.

As if they wouldn't sell Etihad if they were going to build that. It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL wasn't that interested in running Etihad due to, what I assume, are much higher running costs than a traditional stadium. Add in the ridiculous price per square m they will get for it and there's even less reason to keep it.

Also, the whole "stadium returns are the biggest cause of financial imbalance" thing could be solved in an instant if the AFL just pooled and shared out stadium returns to all clubs equally. That'd also save them piss farting around with stupid broken luxury taxes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It all stems from docklands being demolished in 2 decades (probably)

If they needed a third stadium for smaller games Princes Park is the best bet, it already exists for ~25k people. Bring it up to 30k and that is perfect size.

40k is too big for a third stadium (and expensive to build from scratch) and you'd be replacing docklands with a ~55k one anyway.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is the punt rd stand heritage listed?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No they tore it all down for the current richmind hq didnt they? Or is there a stand off to the side? Idk.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

Is the punt rd stand heritage listed?

Nothing a tragic bulldozer accident couldn't fix. :killdozer:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

No they tore it all down for the current richmind hq didnt they? Or is there a stand off to the side? Idk.

They're next to each other, and given how close the ground is to the road on the other sides they'd have to bulldoze the lot and shift the position of the oval to fit a new stadium in

Collingwood proposes their oval as the new stadium location.

Richmond proposes their oval as the new stadium location.

Carlton proposes their oval as the new stadium location.

Won't work, for the same reason Etihad had to exist as a new unattached thing, parochialism.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 17, 2016

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Richmond dont need their own ground, they already have a perfectly good one that is:

*Appropriately sized
*Basically in the suburb of Richmond
*Richmond is one of the few old Melbourne clubs whose members are actually in the suburb the club originally came from, so it's right on top of the people that plan on going to Richmond matches

Of all the old Melbourne clubs Richmond need their own ground the least, with the possible exception of Melbourne.

The clubs that are severely in the need of their own smaller capacity stadium are the Bulldogs and North. Talking about anyone else is nuts.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Nothing a tragic bulldozer accident couldn't fix. :killdozer:

Live from punt road, a madman is running rampant!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

"I don't understand how it came to this, he's such a good bloke"

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Bring back Glenferrie Oval as an AFL venue

(it's impossible because of the railway track)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Saints should get in on this act and propose a new stadium at Moorabbin. Before each game they can dump a truckload of mud on the centre square and turn the sprinklers on.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I propose a new stadium inside the members stand

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I propose a new stadium inside the members stand

Would an artificial ski slope be a suitable addition?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

gently caress I'm going to miss the first 3-4 rounds due to being in London. Are there any good pubs/places to watch footy that people know of?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drunkill posted:

It all stems from docklands being demolished in 2 decades (probably)

Didn't they just build it? It's less than 20 years old, right? I thought stadiums, maintained properly, had like 60-80 year lifespans?

hiddenmovement posted:

The clubs that are severely in the need of their own smaller capacity stadium are the Bulldogs and North. Talking about anyone else is nuts.

This is the correct answer.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

snaeksikn posted:

Conca would have been 50/50 on getting a game in the 1s and Yarran was recruited to play in September.

I'm not too concerned.

NTRabbit posted:

40,000 is too big if Etihad isn't being demolished as well, Tigers just want their own ground

Richmond draws >50K against some interstate teams. We wouldn't play there.
We've already got top class facilities after the training area redevelopment a few years back. This actually doesn't benefit the club at all given they'd have to pack up and move out for a good 3 years while the ground is built.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I think the best solution is to make it the true value solar centre. Two ovals next to each other so you can have two games going on at once, build grand stands around both so spectators can watch both games at the same time, two for the price of one it's the true VALUE solar centre (so long as it's not us they're watching).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
MCG security fence to be scrapped for AFL Season

The Age posted:

The so-called "ring of steel" that encircled the MCG this summer will be scrapped for the footy season, but thorough security checks will still be conducted before fans go through the turnstiles.

The AFL is expected to announce that security wanding and bag checks will be conducted closer to the venue, but the cyclone fencing that was introduced after the terror attacks at the Stade de France in Paris will no longer be in place.

The Melbourne Cricket Club came under harsh criticism during cricket season when fans were subjected to long delays while security checks were conducted at the fence. Officials were surprised by a crowd of 80,000 for a Big Bash League game, with long lines forming outside the ground.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So the terrorists have won.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

BrigadierSensible posted:

So the terrorists have won.

No it's the other way. gently caress that fence right off.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Thank gently caress for that.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hurray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/710614961014185984