Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Pacific Rim had big robots and monsters, if you expected anything else from the movie I don't know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

You suck sorry about your suck hopefully you can fix it with a bullet

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

your avatar is too dangerously close to anime to claim you have good taste

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

hatty posted:

Gravity is really bad you guys

Gravity was really awesome visually. I just didn't buy a panicky whiny Sandra Bullock as an astronaut. She pretty much ruined the movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tricky D posted:

Pacific Rim had big robots and monsters, if you expected anything else from the movie I don't know what to say.

It had like 15 minutes of giant robots and monsters, the other 2+ hours were training montages and Charlie Hunnam's terrible accent.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
the venn diagram of people who think gravity sucks and people who experienced gravity as a 600MB download on a 13" laptop in a filthy one bedroom basement apartment is a donut

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Internaut! posted:

the venn diagram of people who think gravity sucks and people who experienced gravity as a 600MB download on a 13" laptop in a filthy one bedroom basement apartment is a donut

I saw it in the theaters and it is bad

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

interstellar sucked

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

you have loving terrible taste my man

Elysium was pretty bad. There is maybe 40 solid minutes of a good movie in there.

Could have been so much better.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tricky D posted:

That's true, but it had big robots and monsters and still managed to be boring as gently caress.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
schindlers listicle was pretty fucken poo poo

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Orkin Mang posted:

schindlers listicle was pretty fucken poo poo

#13 will surprise you!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

Elysium was pretty bad. There is maybe 40 solid minutes of a good movie in there.

Could have been so much better.

that was the only movie on the list i havent seen so i will take your word

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jurassic world is the dumbest movie I've seen since Avatar. I like Chris Pratt and I like dinosaurs. I even went into it basically expecting it to suck. It sucked even harder than I thought it could. It's like they wrote three lines on a bar napkin:

-Dinosaurs = cool
-Military = bad
-Chris Pratt = raptor cowboy? (!!!)

And then they started shooting a multi million dollar blockbuster with that tattered napkin in lieu of a plot. It was the most vapid, soulless appeal to spectacle in ages and that says a loving ton when it came out the same year as Star Wars 4-2: Deathstar Boogaloo.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Elysium sucks because you think you are gonna get a climax of some down trodden lower classes running a train on their whole little gay 1 percent space fort but nah all them folks in hollywood got money too so you end up getting some hack the gibson and send the space ambulance bullshit

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm 26 years old and inside out was good :colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't seen it but I have a really hard time imagining a Pixar property not about talking vehicles being bad.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sleeveless posted:

It had like 15 minutes of giant robots and monsters, the other 2+ hours were training montages and Charlie Hunnam's terrible accent.

i agree. Pacific Rim had some unforgivable pacing problems

A few more I can add to this thread:

the two new Mission Impossible movies. Not sure why they're so highly rated. They're not bad movies and I'm even a Tom Cruise apologist, but they don't feel like anything special or original, more like two hour episodes of "CSI" or "24" with octuple the budget. The villains aren't even memorable, something important for this kind of movie. I saw Rogue Nation a month ago and can't remember who the hell the bad guy was.

This one goes back eight years already but since Dark Knight was mentioned I'll throw this in: The Simpsons Movie. Baffling how everyone liked it. Titanic jokes? Greenday? Hottest screenplay of 1997. Even if the jokes were topical they weren't too funny. Maybe everything was rewritten too many times. I got that sense. The Simpsons Movie was BOOOOOORING

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

the characters didn't have much depth. it emphasized violence but not really its impact on people. the police officer and his kid weren't developed much yet they seemed to be the movie's backbone I guess

oh and Benicio del Toro's character storming the house at the end and killing everyone felt unrealistic. I was expecting a movie along the lines of Traffic but it ended up more like Taken or a Vin Diesel flick or something

I was also annoyed by the tunnel scene how it kept needlessly switching from night vision, heat vision, and actual vision

Del Toro's character was my main beef with Sicario. He was like a grimdark comic book character and it kind of took me out of the movie. It wasnt a bad movie, but it could have been a lot better.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

The Hobbit movies are what finally made me understand the idea of "movies with no soul"

They're Capitalism Zombies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ty30Ck9huk

shire sausage :raise:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
That whole menu was so good

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I totally forgot about Elysium, and that's saying a lot on it's own.

District 9 was loving AWESOME and I had high expectations of Elysium. God drat, was I let down.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Warcraft movie, as an old Warcraft fanboy as well as loving Moon. I know I might be extremely disappointed, but gotta support Bowie's son mannnnn.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i wanna build my own hobbit slam so fuckin bad

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

The Hobbit movies are what finally made me understand the idea of "movies with no soul"

They're Capitalism Zombies

i got a friend who loved the book of the hobbitt and also the latest movie version of lotr but hated the hobbit movie. Lotr and the hobbo might as well be the same movie to me for all the difference i can see.l but one they love and one they hate, they didnt even finish the first hobbit movie

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 2, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

i agree. Pacific Rim had some unforgivable pacing problems

A few more I can add to this thread:

the two new Mission Impossible movies. Not sure why they're so highly rated. They're not bad movies and I'm even a Tom Cruise apologist, but they don't feel like anything special or original, more like two hour episodes of "CSI" or "24" with octuple the budget. The villains aren't even memorable, something important for this kind of movie. I saw Rogue Nation a month ago and can't remember who the hell the bad guy was.

This one goes back eight years already but since Dark Knight was mentioned I'll throw this in: The Simpsons Movie. Baffling how everyone liked it. Titanic jokes? Greenday? Hottest screenplay of 1997. Even if the jokes were topical they weren't too funny. Maybe everything was rewritten too many times. I got that sense. The Simpsons Movie was BOOOOOORING

is this a joke i thought everybody hated the simpsons movie

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I walked out of The Great Gatsby. Baz lurhmann sucks

And yeah the first hobbit movie was a huge disappointment so I didn't see the other two

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Elysium was definitely not good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Tricky D posted:

I expected the cool russians to have at least one cool moment, instead the cool russians got owned by some rear end in a top hat monster instantly

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
And yeah Elysium was poo poo. Horrible editing and pacing and the characters were poo poo. I liked the FEW SECONDS of action in the movie though, like when they blow a guy away with some sci-fi rifle

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zzulu posted:

And yeah Elysium was poo poo. Horrible editing and pacing and the characters were poo poo. I liked the FEW SECONDS of action in the movie though, like when they blow a guy away with some sci-fi rifle

Yeah, the guy getting his head blown open, and then the reconstruction of his head in the medical machine were the best things in that movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I expected the cool russians to have at least one cool moment, instead the cool russians got owned by some rear end in a top hat monster instantly

I remember getting upset at the amount of THROWS they perform in that movie, especially while in the loving water.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Inherent Vice. Almost forgot I even saw that.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Inherent Vice. Almost forgot I even saw that.

Other than a couple minor omissions it was true to the spirit of the novel which is definitely a hazy rear end pot fueled noir story. What were you expecting exactly?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Shaquin posted:

Other than a couple minor omissions it was true to the spirit of the novel which is definitely a hazy rear end pot fueled noir story. What were you expecting exactly?

No idea, is the thing. Mostly just heard "like big lebowski but not really." It had some fun moments, Wilson's funny in it, but it kinda just blinked from my memory till just now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GBS had a goldmined thread about this.

Best entry:

What has it gots in its colonsses?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I was really disappointed by Interstellar and The Revenant.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

radiatinglines posted:

And yeah the first hobbit movie was a huge disappointment so I didn't see the other two

The last one is one of the worst big budget films I've ever seen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ryoshi posted:

I haven't seen it but I have a really hard time imagining a Pixar property not about talking vehicles being bad.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm not defending any specific family movies, but personifying animals/toys/anything has kind of been a staple of children's animation (and even live action) since the birth of film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

List of Movies, from Recent to Oldest, that Professor Shark has enjoyed in the last few years:

Star Wars because it looked pretty

Hateful Eight

John Wick

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler (Number 40 on IMDB's Top Rated of 2014 :psyduck:)

A Most Violent Year

21+22 Jump Street

It was really, really good, sorry

I pretty much agree with this.

21+22 Jump street are legit funny. Some of the best comedy writing in the last 10 years.

• Locked thread