Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm just poking in here to say ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha jesus christ

I'm getting you the robe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Robe? idgi

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I took the celica to SSSwitch's friend near the airport for an insurance inspection, he was too busy today to help (which I'm told is unusual on a saturday for them). That's fine, can't expect immediate service all the time.

Took it to Canadian Tire near my sister's place (hanging out with family for my parent's anniversary) since I have used them before for my grandfather's f-150 and they were pretty quick about it. Dropped it off at 11:30. Came back at 5:30, saw they moved it across the parking lot, I think "great, they got it done " so I go in to settle up. Turns out they didn't do an inspection, so I ask "what the hell, why did you move it then?" no one could give me a satisfactory explanation.

I don't even know what the gently caress, they didn't move it very far, odo didn't seem to move much since I had dropped it off. Whatever, I'll try SSSwitch's friend some other time when he's less busy.

I need to make a list in here to keep track of the poo poo I keep finding:

-Alternator started pulsing this morning, little RPM fixed it. After can tire, I notice the charge meter is a little low but steady this time, again a hit of gas brings it up. After my sister's place, the voltage is waaaay down, battery light comes on, gently caress, alternator is hooped. Had to try to get it home to my place, 45 minutes away. Tromping on it again wakes up the alternator, voltage back to normal, charge is good. Belt is fine, connections look ok. Like most problems in life, this one can be solved with furious application of wide open throttle. Any ideas? Janky coil maybe?

-The dome light does in fact work. I thought the bulb was just dead, turns out both the driver and passenger position indicators are hosed, or the cable's are broken. The trunk lid switch still works though, that's the only way I spotted it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
On my old '91 Miata the dome lights didn't work and I didn't understand why. I replaced both door switches, the bulbs, cleaned up the contacts, multimetered the switch and found that neither dome light was operational.

I ordered a used lamp assembly from a parts car and in the meantime decided to do some more diagnosis.

Moving the switch rapidly between Off and Door with the door open would make it light up, but I never understood why until I took the old switches apart.

When I took the switches apart, I found that Mazda had cut a few corners and just had a springy brass bus bar (ask Ken for exact terms here) that the switch slid on to activate. The bus bar had corroded like whoa so it no longer made electrical contact except for the brief moments of clean brass that the switch's plastic edges would otherwise be protecting.

A few minutes of cleanup with a gray scotchbrite pad later and things were hunky dory.

Pretty much everything else electrical on that car was the same story. I think it's getting cut up right now to become an Exocet.

That said the door switches are probably dicked.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Today was pretty successful. We harvested some parts from our donor car and moved some of the good stuff over to Sweet Chili Heat. Things are coming together. Engine swap hopefully next weekend, then the car can start living at McTinkerson's place.

I've also started setting up the rally's social media presence. I'll post FB/twitter/Instagram links shortly.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I made the joke that I might be a Wankel Wizard with how I am handling all this rotary stuff.

Pictures from yesterday:
First up is the engine compression test from the silver parts car ('82 GS).

Front Rotor

Rear Rotor

A perfect example of why the body on the parts car is trashed. This is looking down into the rear flank behind the drivers side wheel well.

Intake/Carby removed and officially sold/given to generous owner of shop where the cars are currently being stored.

The engine is healthy enough to use, so score!
I have also tentatively sold the parts cars steering box and headlight motors for $300. Hopefully the buyer doesn't back out and the project is even more in the black by next Saturday.

Website is now live: http://tm2twrally.com/

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 20, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm. It sure what was worse: spilling coolant or your grievous electrical burn

Probably the electrical burn :ohdear:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress, you guys ok?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

We're fine. "Tis merely a flesh wound.

Regarding the coolant: Both cars are outside on prime AB soil (aka sand & clay). The "shop" that installed the Racing Beat intake manifold didn't install the freeze plugs to block off the factory coolant passages which run to the factory intake manifold. So when we removed the intake - we spilled a few cc's of coolant prior to us tightening the intake back up and tossing a catch can underneath prior to trying again.

Regarding my electrocution: While diagnosing the parts cars no start condition post compression test, one of the checks was for spark. I pulled out the T1 plug, plugged the spark plug wire back on to it and grounded the plug to the block. DrakeriderCa then cranked it over and in addition to the plug acting as it should, the wire started arcing from the plug boot to my left hand. Right between my middle and ring finger webbing. Drew some blood and looked like most very mild electrical burns do. No start was diagnosed to stuck floats in the carb. We for sure need new plug wires though.

Edit: Just heard back from the Doritos Canada PR department, they're putting me in touch with someone who can help. :toot:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 21, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sure hope you got a wooden wedding ring like mine. That would have been an unpleasant day with a metal one.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Sweet. I hope Doritos hooks us up with some free chips in addition to livery support

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
If they don't, I'll swap out my engine in protest.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

DoritoPower posted:

If they don't, I'll swap out my engine in protest.

Biturbo swap :shepicide:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Biturbo swap :shepicide:

NRE already created the pinnacle of FB engine swaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmACTP69Zh0

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Don't want to say too much since it's one of those 'stars and planets have to align' type things but a friend and I might be in for this. A shell exists and it's free if I can find a powertrain and get it installed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Don't want to say too much since it's one of those 'stars and planets have to align' type things but a friend and I might be in for this. A shell exists and it's free if I can find a powertrain and get it installed.

Hell yeah, the more the merrier. Especially if you're a boinger.

Fingers crossed.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress yeah man, let us know if you need any assistance with recovery.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Hell yes, I was hoping more people would join.

We also really really need to set dates. I'll fire off an email asking for everyone's no go dates.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you're looking for more people to join, maybe you could have been a little clearer in articulating that in the OP. I didn't really get the impression that you were actively soliciting other people to join, I thought it was more of a "hey, these are my bros and we're doing a rally for a bachelor party/thing. This is a thread about it" kind of thing.

At least that's what I got out of it, my reading comprehension might not be the strongest. :saddowns:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

"hey, these are my bros and we're doing a rally for a bachelor party/thing. This is a thread about it"

It can't be, I barely know any of these weirdos.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

You raise a good point Slidebite, I'm still not sure how I really feel about it. I think it boils down to me feeling bad about not inviting someone to the wedding even though they were part of my bachelor party. We're doing everything in our power to keep the wedding small (sub 100) and inviting people from the internet just doesn't jive with that. Now, if those participating are fine with that - then the more the merrier!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

inviting people from the internet just doesn't jive with that. Now, if those participating are fine with that - then the more the merrier!
That reminds me, my bail-fund bank account is getting low again.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That reminds me, my bail-fund bank account is getting low again.

What's this about you talking poo poo about us 7's on Western Subaru Club btw? Something about offsetting your vehicle cost penalties with ricer fly by's on us Doritos?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-forum drama is so exciting:

Me, being right posted:

Going over the limit also just gives us penalty points, which we can eliminate by not breaking down and by doing ricer fly-bys on the RX7s.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Update: Engine swap on the 7 won't be happening this weekend. What will be happening is selling more parts off the parts car, including removing all of the body work for Cool Ranch.

In addition, I have found a wicked deal on a muffler for the car. It's proper JDM/very very mild bosu.

The buyer of the steering rack flaked out, which I'm not too bummed about since pulling it is a royal pain in the rear end.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Update: Engine swap on the 7 won't be happening this weekend. What will be happening is selling more parts off the parts car, including removing all of the body work for Cool Ranch.

In addition, I have found a wicked deal on a muffler for the car. It's proper JDM/very very mild bosu.

The buyer of the steering rack flaked out, which I'm not too bummed about since pulling it is a royal pain in the rear end.

Okay, cool. I'm glad I'll get a shot at being there after all.

yesssssssss

/

nooooooo

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Further progress!

Sold this lot off of the parts car for $200.

Bought this for $60. The tips are what sold me on it, which should work perfectly with the factory bumper. Exhaust for the 7 is now Racing Beat street header -> 2.5" piping ->Magnaflow and nothing else. Should sound pretty good and hopefully provide many cheerful fireballs.
You'll also notice that the muffler is sitting on SA waffle rims which will have their dry rotted carcasses removed and new tires installed in the factory 185/70/13 size.
I'm thinking of painting them Effex black and pin-striping the rim lip and all edges in a UV reactive red.

Our key blanks and key chains also showed up.

Not pictured: Me removing the drivers door from the parts car for Cool Ranch. As well as me failing to remove any other bodywork from the front end due to insufficient tools.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Haha, you saw the Effex this morning and couldn't get it out of your mind huh?

I did want to try the black Effex...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Haha, you saw the Effex this morning and couldn't get it out of your mind huh?

I would like to remind you that the motorcycle in frame with the muffler is painted in Effex black. That poo poo is amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Went out to the ranch today and SB and I got a bunch of stuff done on the Celica.

First, we did an oil change. I don't know what this thing on the very front of the Celica is, other than maybe this is how you can tell it's a boy Toyota vs. a girl Toyota.

Please spay or neuter your Celica. Thank you.

One of the main goals for today was to put new hatch struts on it. However, the old hatch struts had super rusty brackets holding them on that were mega gross. Out comes the angle grinder.

And the Tremclad. My focus isn't great in this shot, but just look at that big Alberta sky.

While we're at it, might as well spray paint the wiper arms too. Here comes the zinc chromate primer, which I am terrible at applying in the wind.

And the semi-gloss black.

Eh, good enough. Tremclad apparently takes longer than we gave it to harden.

Where's the rear wiper arm, you ask? Well I forgot to paint that :(

Back in the garage it's time to yank the plugs:

#1 is not looking too good there boys. 3/4 plug wires dismantled themselves as I removed them, which is probably my worst record yet.

While looking at the distributor, noticed that the bottom of it wasn't actually bolted in all the way, and the engine had been leaking oil through the bottom of the distributor presumably since the last time it was done. That's not good.

Replaced the distributor cap, distributor 'rotor', all four spark plugs and all four spark plug wires. Just look at all that race car red.

Then I had to go. But I am told in my absence the steering wheel was replaced with our junkyard unit.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
that's some handsome looking ignition there boys

Did you guys see the G+ post? We have social media accounts now, and I posted the login information for everyone.

For everybody following along at home, you can look us up on Twitter and Instagram at @tm2twrally and on Facebook by searching for the full rally title: Transmountain To Tidewater, and we'll be hashtagging all kinds of stuff with #tm2twrally as well, which I think is what the kids are still doing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I have been tweeting on the account.

I even installed Tweetdeck so I'm pretty much halfway to becoming a $27,000 a year social media manager for Subway.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Yeah I have been tweeting on the account.

I even installed Tweetdeck so I'm pretty much halfway to becoming a $27,000 a year social media manager for Subway.

drat I didn't see that before I posted. Tweetdeck sounds pretty serious. I feel like our professional credibility just shot up.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I saw a rotary engine rat rod up in Airdrie today. I think it's an omen of things to come. Didn't get any pictures though :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I saw a rotary engine rat rod up in Airdrie today. I think it's an omen of things to come. Didn't get any pictures though :(

It's cool, the Airdrie fire department has a Twitter now. They'll take care of it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

One of the main goals for today was to put new hatch struts on it. However, the old hatch struts had super rusty brackets holding them on that were mega gross. Out comes the angle grinder.

There were retaining pins riveted in on the upright portion of these brackets. I ran a drill down them and then used that chisel (which I made from a railroad car's spring!) to remove the head after the center was removed.

Any excuse I can get to use my blacksmithing gear. Also my anvil is rusty as gently caress, I should clean it and oil it or something.

Also I can confirm that the steering wheel has been replaced. The horn still works even, amazingly I didn't gently caress that up.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

There were retaining pins riveted in on the upright portion of these brackets. I ran a drill down them and then used that chisel (which I made from a railroad car's spring!) to remove the head after the center was removed.

Any excuse I can get to use my blacksmithing gear. Also my anvil is rusty as gently caress, I should clean it and oil it or something.

Also I can confirm that the steering wheel has been replaced. The horn still works even, amazingly I didn't gently caress that up.

That blacksmithing stuff is super cool. I love that you have tools you've made that are so practical.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^^ thanks man, I love doing stuff like that, especially when it's useful.

New steering wheel! This has improved the driving experience by at least 12. The old one is so gross.

It peed a little oil overnight after the oil change. I'm chalking this up to residue on the block.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

New steering wheel! This has improved the driving experience by at least 12. The old one is so gross.

Holy poo poo, that interior cleaned up nice. Looks like we've got our work cut out for us to one up you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We didn't even really start deep-cleaning it yet, that's just the replacement steering wheel and a pass with the car wash vacuum.

Notice that the child-lock switch has also been replaced, the cap was missing when we got it.

• Locked thread