Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I really liked Enemy, but the whole buzz of "the ending is the scariest thing everrrrrrr" was so stupid, framed the movie poorly, set bad expectations and misses the point of the movie entirely.

I guess its super scary if you have a fear of spiders?

Go in expecting a really cool psychological thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I have to pile on the John Wick bandwagon, that movie was fun as hell.

I'll board the bandwagon too! Have a John Wick Infographic:

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Also, if you want to browse underrated movies, just visit http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?keywords=box-office-flop

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just watched nightcrawler tonight as its been renewed on Netflix.

Very very good. Jakey G slays it. He's absurdly uncomfortable to watch which is a good thing in this movie.

I like how the New Yorker described his eyes: undead and unblinking. Sunken in their sockets.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!
Not a recent movie, but suggesting it because I only just recently saw it, and had never heard of it until that point: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Awesome movie, and Robert Downey Jr w/ Val Kilmer is fantastic.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
drat rdj before or after rehab. :captainpop:

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Someone mentioned Calvary earlier, having just seen that one like a week ago I can also say it was worth a watch.

Some recommendations of my own,

In Bruges

The Guard

Seven Psychopaths

For a slightly older movie, Stardust is an underrated adventure fantasy thing that I really like. It has Robert de Niro pretending to be Robert de Niro

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I don't get the love for John Wick. Sure it's an okay bangbang movie, but those are not exactly uncommon.

allow me to share my poor taste:

Alien Raiders - Kind of like The Mist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1rRf7PW58

Edmond - William H. Macy is pretty terrifying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyovPBpHTkQ

Rapture-Palooza - Left Behind's hilarious cousin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oaS_N1zsqo

The To Do List - Aubrey Plaza 90s throwback movie. This should be a cult classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKGigK17eSs

Tusk - Pretty terrifying dark comedy by Kevin Smith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQJnOn0ru0

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

as someone knowledgeable about post-WWII U.S. political history and U.S. literature, Inherent Vice was excellent and touched upon some deep stuff. watch with subtitles and the plot actually makes sense, it was no harder than LA Confidential to follow

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Ninkobei posted:

I don't get the love for John Wick. Sure it's an okay bangbang movie, but those are not exactly uncommon.

I think it's the fact that many consider it a really high quality bangbang movie compared to many others out there. Not too long, well shot, good choreography and it was a theatrical release, so it stood out compared to some of the other recent action movies even more.

Not sure if it's been brought up, but I'll also add Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning to a list of action movies I think are worth seeing. Some pretty nasty blinking lights aside, it's a really interesting take on an action movie about super soldiers. Definitely some a lot of inspiration from horror in the movie. Also, I thought JCVD and Dolph Lundgren were both good in it. Scott Adkins isn't the best actor, but he works in the role.

I also really liked Coriolanus. It was a better adaptation than I thought it would be going into the movie, and the performances were all solid.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
almost every post in this thread has difficulty with the definitions of at least one of "good," "underrated," and "recent."

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
"post good underrated recent movies"
goon 1: here is wildly acclaimed movie from 3 years ago
goon 2: here is a bunch of garbage

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

logical phalluses posted:

almost every post in this thread has difficulty with the definitions of at least one of "good," "underrated," and "recent."

It's almost like all of those things are subjective. trippy

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Hotel Transylvania and its sequel are good.

Watch 2 at least for Jon Lovitz as the Phantom of the Opera

That movie was awful.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
It's 10 years old now, but Lucky Number Slevin is very, very underrated. Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Stanley Tucci, Bruce Willis... how can you go wrong?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425210/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Fourteen fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 7, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really, really didn't like most of Inherent Vice, but it has a great shoot-out scene at the end that I felt was pretty realistic: Joaquin Phoenix knocks the guy out then makes sure he's dead, takes his gun, and exchanges shots with the other guy. It lasts about 3 seconds, and for what feels like a minute after it's over Phoenix sits still waiting to hear some sign from the other guy, before yelling out "Did I hit you?!" and slowly walking down the stairs.

I liked that part. The rest was... not so good

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Just watched nightcrawler tonight as its been renewed on Netflix.

Very very good. Jakey G slays it. He's absurdly uncomfortable to watch which is a good thing in this movie.

I like how the New Yorker described his eyes: undead and unblinking. Sunken in their sockets.

It's a great movie. Someone in CnD pointed out that it's a "stealth vampire movie" and that fits perfectly

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

It's almost like all of those things are subjective. trippy

We mustn't post things that don't strictly follow the op's rules! We must carefully preserve our posts, there are only so many to go around and we need to make sure we don't run out of space for the memes and posters declaring their homosexuality!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fire Barrel posted:

Not sure if it's been brought up, but I'll also add Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning to a list of action movies I think are worth seeing. Some pretty nasty blinking lights aside, it's a really interesting take on an action movie about super soldiers. Definitely some a lot of inspiration from horror in the movie. Also, I thought JCVD and Dolph Lundgren were both good in it. Scott Adkins isn't the best actor, but he works in the role.

For a direct-to-video sequel to a forgettable early '90s action movie, Day of Reckoning was incredible. The fights are brutal, but the whole thing feels like a waking nightmare -- like if David Lynch directed a hyper-violent action movie while also trying to adapt Apocalypse Now, with all the weirdness that entails.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone mentioned What We Do In the Shadows, and I have to agree. That movie is hilarious and is probably one of the best vampire films I've watched in a long time.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Mama is a p solid horror movie. a ton of goons recommend It Follows which has some great elements but holy poo poo does that movie fall apart at the end, the scene in the pool man that was dumb as hell

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Bunraku. Like watching a musical except violence breaks out instead of songs, one hell of a cast, too.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I watched It Follows because of this thread--pretty good, thanks! I like allegory horror.

So in that vein, The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh. Been a while since I watched it but I remember being thoroughly creeped out, and I actually want to watch it again now that I've forgotten some of the details (rare for me; as much as I love horror most movies don't get a second viewing.) I'm calling it underrated because nobody I've mentioned it to has actually heard of it.

Nightrain
Dec 17, 2004

I may be new to SA, but I've been playing guitar in the desert and on top of pianos for years
I thought Absentia was a really good monster movie and was a lot better than I expected

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I thought Suck (2009) was pretty good. It had a lot of rock stars in cameos and was just a pretty fun movie. Never heard anybody talk about it, but we enjoyed it.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Crimson Peak was gorgeous to look at and had some good performances too

Im not a horror buff so I cant say if it was "good" in the genre, but I enjoyed it

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Fire Barrel posted:

I think it's the fact that many consider it a really high quality bangbang movie compared to many others out there. Not too long, well shot, good choreography and it was a theatrical release, so it stood out compared to some of the other recent action movies even more.

I think at least part of it is that it's kind of unusual and memorable how the other people in the movie treat John. In most action movies, the villains are all smug and self-assured about their victory until everything comes crashing down around them. Hell, John Wick was released just a few months before Taken 3, a movie in which the dipshit new husband of the ex-wife from the original Taken willingly fucks with a man who he knows is basically unstoppable.

Where as in John Wick, the villains learn early on who exactly they had hosed with and before he even starts coming after them, they immediately proceed to collectively making GBS threads themselves and asking the responsible party what the gently caress he was thinking.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
My buddy and I needed a good 'post-Superbowl party hangover, draw the curtains, crack a 10am beer, cook some breakfast, smoke a joint, and half-pay attention' movie, so we put on Turbo Kid.

It's perfect for that.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tumble posted:

My buddy and I needed a good 'post-Superbowl party hangover, draw the curtains, crack a 10am beer, cook some breakfast, smoke a joint, and half-pay attention' movie, so we put on Turbo Kid.

It's perfect for that.

this is the gayest post on the forums atm

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I thought Suck (2009) was pretty good. It had a lot of rock stars in cameos and was just a pretty fun movie. Never heard anybody talk about it, but we enjoyed it.

It's hilarious trash. Quite fun. The lead ended up on Mad Men, IIRC.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a happy snowman posted:

It's hilarious trash. Quite fun. The lead ended up on Mad Men, IIRC.

Oh poo poo, you're right! I thought she looked familiar.

Also, since I think I undersold it in my first post--it has Iggy Pop, Henry Rollins, Moby, and Alice Cooper in it, and great costumes.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Edge of tomorrow

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Has Tom Cruise ever made a bad sci-fi movie?

Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Minority Report

Random Hajile posted:

I think at least part of it is that it's kind of unusual and memorable how the other people in the movie treat John. In most action movies, the villains are all smug and self-assured about their victory until everything comes crashing down around them. Hell, John Wick was released just a few months before Taken 3, a movie in which the dipshit new husband of the ex-wife from the original Taken willingly fucks with a man who he knows is basically unstoppable.

Where as in John Wick, the villains learn early on who exactly they had hosed with and before he even starts coming after them, they immediately proceed to collectively making GBS threads themselves and asking the responsible party what the gently caress he was thinking.

Doesn't the father in John Wick even go as far as to phone John and ask him if there is anyway to fix the situation before the rampage starts?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blistex posted:

Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Minority Report

Oblivion is pretty mediocre and it completely wastes its supporting cast's talent.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blistex posted:

Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Minority Report

Was Vanilla Sky good? I saw it so long ago I don't remember.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Another Spring Breakers fan. Sat down expecting it to be an American Pie-esque trash fest. Was pleasantly surprised. Also took me ages before I realised that it was James Franco.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Ginger Snaps is 15 years old now, maybe old, but it's a kick-rear end werewolf horror flick.

It's more recent than An American Werewolf in London I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Daybreakers is another loving awesome vampire film.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

B.H. Facials posted:

Turbo Kid owned pretty hard and is now on Netflix.

:( being weird and quirky and 80's does not automatically make a good movie holy poo poo I wanted to like it but there was nothing there

• Locked thread