Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rzal posted:

Hey thanks for typing all that out. I definitely need more real life drawing. My process has been to lock myself in my room after work and draw a lot. Which is kinda lacking in feedback. How do you guys find people react when you draw them in public? Is the reaction usually positive?

In most cases, my "street drawings" (for lack of a better term) are just quick gesture drawings (maybe 30 seconds or a minute at the most). Most people don't even realize you're doing it, unless you're really obviously staring them down. Rarely will you find a case where someone will sit still long enough in one position to get a really solid 2-5 minute read on them; I've never had it be an issue. You can still do more "complete" drawings, but it requires you to be able to quickly look at a person's basic features (thin/thick cheeks, pointed/recessed chin, etc.) and then apply that to the original structural base.

Besides that, though, I'd recommend spending time practicing the basics of 3D geometry. I'm guessing by the graphite smudges that you had to do a lot of erasing to get her in the proper pose. Training yourself to view objects as simple forms (cubes/cylinders/spheres) will make it easier to position them on the page (although the gesture should always come first). Stan Prokopenko has a lot of nice videos on the basics of this, as well as on figure/portrait drawing that should help you along. If you've got some spare change to pay for a subscription, the New Masters Academy also has an absolute treasure trove of videos on portrait drawing, figure drawing, anatomy, color theory, etc., featuring some of the greats of modern art instruction (like Glenn Vilppu). It also has a large library of photo references - they're less easy to learn from than real-life figure drawing, but are still useful to learn from.

(One last tip: try shaking up your mediums a bit. I recently started drawing with pen after two years and change of only using graphite pencils. It's been very helpful in teaching me how to pre-visualize lines (since I can't put down a huge number of scribbly lines without dynamiting the coherency of the drawing), and the drawings that come out the other end have more solidity and clarity to them.)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Vermain posted:

good stuff

Thanks for this. I've seen some of Proko's videos, and they are obviously very well done. I know he's said that he prefers not having lots of lines in his sketches.

I didn't have time to do any real life studies today. I'm going to try and drag my wretched bag of bones plus sketchbook to a coffee shop and see how that goes sometime this weekend.

I like Karl Gnass's videos on youtube, few as there are. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqsUuq1flkAJ4Dgp4PgS8Bg and he said you should try and finish a drawing even if it is obviously bad. That you created it and there is a truth in living with it. That if you give up on it because it's hard then you'll always give up on the same spot and never learn how to do the hard parts.

Since I'm trying to draw everyday I did a bunch of sketches again even though I'd rather be playing xcom 2.
This was the last sketch of the night using mainly a mechanical pencil. It's not perfect, but here it is.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Working on faster, sketchy stuff so I can better illustrate that thing I write.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
A few mobsters. May actually get around to adding hands and colour at some point.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I know you've all been on tenterhooks to find out what will happen next in the EXCITING installment of DANGEROUS IMAGE

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Rondette posted:

I know you've all been on tenterhooks to find out what will happen next in the EXCITING installment of DANGEROUS IMAGE

Motherfucking hot dog hat.

I got a tablet today, and tried out some corel. Here was my fav sketch from that exploration.

rzal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 7, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rzal posted:

Motherfucking hot dog hat.

I know, I want that hat!

Here is the next thrilling installment! Sadly we will see no more from Hotdog Hat, however Bob's suspicion's are raised by Anna's sudden forgetfulness. I CAN'T STAND CHEESE!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

The Slippery Nipple posted:

A few mobsters. May actually get around to adding hands and colour at some point.

Excellent work, I already feel the intense need to punch the middle one in the face.

rzal posted:

I got a tablet today, and tried out some corel. Here was my fav sketch from that exploration.

Yessss join the dark side of the digital and soon you'll find you're doing nothing but tablet work muahahahahahha!

Murdercat and a babby.
I really dislike drawing kids, I feel frustrated the whole way through 'cause that's someone's precious little baby you're drawing and they're so lumpy and easy to wonk up and if you do then it's like all those tattoos of unintentional zombie and cancer patient babies that you see in the terrible tattoos thread where the artist tried to follow the reference and it turned out like when you draw the outlines of a face on top of a photo and it just looks scary and plastic and wrong. I'm happy the murdercat was in the pic so I had something else to work on to keep the pressure of working on the face in check.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I love these designs, too. Reminds me of Jamie Hewlett from tank girl/gorillaz

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

More sketchy stuff.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Boffins at HQ had not taken into consideration the effects zero G would have on the entertainment.

Edit- I also started drawing this on a full train, I was sitting at one of those tables where you face each other with a bunch of strangers. Everyone was lost in their phones so I thought I might as well start the picture. After about 20 minutes the very smart and expensively dressed guy opposite me commented, 'That looks like our cat' and showed me a picture on his phone of his cat. We then had a nice conversation about cats and stuff and the horrors they bring in from the garden. That's all. I also told him about my mission to draw a cat every day and also my FB page (Becky Draws!!) so who knows I might have another fan.

Still it was a nice bit of talking to strangers and it brightened my day.

Cats, bringing people together.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 7, 2016

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Took the sketchbook with me outside and sketched a tree or two before the super bowl party started.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When Beth remembers (!!!) she actually HAS A BOYFRIEND!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Scathach posted:

More sketchy stuff.

I'm scaroused.

OMG I can't wait to see her turn this into a threesome! I love how this reads like a drama written by the dude who makes those christian tracts.

I'm gonna figure out a poem and then this valentine card will be perfect:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm scaroused.

I'm gonna figure out a poem and then this valentine card will be perfect:

I'm a bit concerned about that... :ohdear:

Please post the poem when you have it finished, I like the direction you're going in.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 9, 2016

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
It's the year of the monkey, so here is a monkey preparing to go into space, Wan Hu style. I don't think he's very confident but I'm sure it will work just fine.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Today's sketch is in Krita which I'm hoping will be a decent free digital program I can use for to get used to the tablet.

I also started doing draw box today which is a bit tedious, but I definitely need the guided practice.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

💯/💯 !

it's done, I'm finally free

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 9, 2016

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Congrats dude! That is really impressive.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It's a giant cock-like thingie!

and here's the process:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Imaginary Friend posted:

It's a giant cock-like thingie!

and here's the process:

I love these, they remind me of Bill Plympton's style..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVOBewHhph4

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, Beth is in TURMOIL!!!

I've drawn some horrible faces in this page, but I'm not going to redraw as it is not in the spirit of the exercise!

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008
Sketch of my daughter and her kitty cat

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

God drat, well done! I know I would've given up halfway and just labeled it 50/50 as if I planned it like that all along.

Imaginary Friend posted:

and here's the process:

:laffo: Did you think that Trump looked like a chicken, or just decide that you needed to use Trump's face to get the perfect chicken scream, or did your chicken not look like Trump enough to begin with? You process is missing some notes.

Aaaaah perfectly rendered toebeans! :swoon: A++ would poke pic.

I would not be posting the finished piece had you not asked for it, Scathach, since I really really did not like how this turned out even before my godawful handwriting. But we post our best, we post our worst:

I thought it would be cool to make a valentine card for all the women who were the ones who pursued the man, the ones who take the lead in a relationship. The armour leaves a bit of room to guess at gender though so gay guys can use it too!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Galileo Fingers posted:

That's a real fine drawing. How big is it? Congratulations on your excellent daughter and her superlative catte.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Had a limited window to draw the backyard before the sun set, so I focused on the old storage building. I think I was only able to spend about 15 to 30 minutes on this.

I'm trying to limit how much I draw figures until I can start doing life drawing on the regular. So expect more pictures of trees I guess.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010

Evey Hammond in the rain from my sketchbook. I'll have to do something space themed for tomorrow!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Galileo Fingers posted:

Yeah, love this!

In the next interminable EXCITING episode....Beth gets a phone call....

Yesterday I drew this cat without looking, I liked the beard.

So today I tried to do him properly

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EDIT:

oops - wrong version.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 11, 2016

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Here is a collage painting thing I am working on for a class

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Lesbians iiiiin spaaaace

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Since I did Sanders last month I wanted to do a Republican to balance things out. This would have been more relevant yesterday I guess.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
I did a sketch of my no-good dog.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

More backyard sketching. All these trees block my view of space!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I still have to learn how to use all these expensive markers I bought.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
BETH has a CRISIS!!

..my cat went a bit...weird.. today.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Lil' sea cretin. The sea is sorta like the space, it's full of weird alien stuff and we don't breathe in it too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

• Locked thread