Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Brony Car posted:

I don't watch any Championship matches. Are the players that Aston Villa would be able to keep good enough to win promotion next season? From what I've read, even the lower leagues have been spending more on players than Villa has to claw their way up.

On paper I think it would be good enough to make a go of it and they will be able to offer the highest wages unless Newcastle go down too, but its a funny old game and the Championship is a funny old league with 6-8 teams every season fighting like drowning crabs to get out of it (can crabs drown?).

Often the teams that get promoted are the ones who are either yoyo clubs with promotion experience like Norwich or teams that have had a couple of practice runs at it and know what it takes like Boro this year. Villa will have none of that knowledge and also have really lovely scouts.

In conclusion the Championship is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

Doumbia wasn't allowed to wear 88 as his squad number

Did they tell him to choose a more believable year of birth?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Mancchester United winning things again will not be fun as hell imo

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

oliwan posted:

mourinho was poo poo and insane this whole season. chelsea were never worse. I don't understand why any club would want him?

Some people have memories longer than half a season

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Jose posted:

Norwich should maybe have signed some defenders

I was saying this in summer while everyone else was going on about needing to improve our attack. We signed two defenders in Jan but its too late now.

Good job the title race is interesting because the relegation battle is done. I just hope our board aren't going to flail about and sack Neil in a desperate attempt to get a new manager bounce.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Newcastle were never going down because their problem is lazy unmotivated players rather than bad ones. They will get just enough points to survive and then give up for the remaining games.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I love the idea that the 1930s don't count as history because its too long ago lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Egypt? No history. The pyramids? gently caress off mate that was ages ago.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Who do you think ends up paying in the end when domestic and foreign TV rights double? What about when kit manufacturing deals triple?

The supporters making noise aren't pushing for less money in football, they just want less of their own money in football. They still want to watch Wayne Rooney run about for £300k a week.

Real reform would result in the big clubs being unable to compete financially with PSG, Bayern, Madrid and Barca. And the same for the medium clubs and so on down the ladder. And I don't think Brits could handle that.

None of this makes any sense

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Its coming up to the end of the 3 year cycle for UEFA club tournament TV deals / competition formats, that means its European Super League UEFA reform time again. Amazingly the big clubs seem to want to make the Champions League even more boring.

quote:

The European Club Association (ECA) are discussing proposals which could see significant changes being made to the Champions League.

Some members of the ECA, which represents the interests of some of the biggest clubs in Europe, are concerned that too many big clubs are missing out on places in the Champions League.

Missing out on the Champions League is estimated to cost clubs between £40m and £50m a season, and one solution which has been discussed is to have guaranteed places for some of the competitions past winners.

Seven-times winners AC Milan have not played in the competition since the 2013-14 season. Manchester United missed out last season and there is a real chance 2012 winners Chelsea will miss out next season.

There are also concerns that it is easier for clubs from leagues, such as Spain, Germany and France to qualify for the Champions League.

For instance, this season English clubs have a fight on their hands to qualify, but clubs such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich are almost guaranteed a place every season in Europe's most prestigious club tournament.

:qq:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Monday Bandele posted:

United are so short on players they had to go back in time to the 70s and get a private detective called Donald Love to play for them

I always feel like Blackett and McNair should be the names of the characters in Lethal Weapon

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Ah the United Way

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Brony Car posted:

Do Norwich have hope? I hope they survive.

Personally I don't. I've seen more than enough relegation battles to know a team that has the smell of relegation about them and this one has it.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Brony Car posted:

God. Sunderland are going to survive again.

This is partly why I'm so sure Norwich are going down.

I'm convinced that Newcastle are Too Good To Go Down™, Sunderland are putting together another great escape, and both Swansea and Bournemouth have enough to see themselves over the line. Obviously one of those things won't happen but Norwich need two of them to not happen and for Norwich to put together a run of form. Doesn't seem likely.

Maybe Cock Piss Pardew will somehow fail to get the 5 or so points needed to keep Palace up.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Hoops posted:

It's going to be interesting to see all these top managers together in the same league. They can't all win, some of them are going to take a knock to their reputation if they finish third and fourth for the next four years.

It seems a shame that not all the big clubs can win, I'm sure UEFA is working on a system to remedy this problem.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

If Mourinho doesn't take over at United, there is no God.

I think your impression of Mourinho is skewed by the fact you only got to see him managing a load of babies who threw matches to get rid of him, he's actually a very good manager and the last person any self respecting ABU should want taking over at Man U

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I believe it all its got the ring of truth about it

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

You could make it so if two teams in different divisions get drawn against each other, the team in the lower division decides the venue.

Its not really a problem though for 90% of English clubs, its just big club whining again. Norwich's fixture list is never congested we haven't played a match for loving ages.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

League 1/2 teams play 8 more league matches, enter the main cups 2 rounds earlier than teams in European competitions and play the in Johnstone's Paint Trophy, as well as potentially having 3 playoff matches and they don't whine about it.

I reckon all this and the whole European wildcard thing is posturing for an even more elaborate and boring European calendar at the behest of the big continental teams that have ruined their domestic leagues.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

oliwan posted:

the prem sold its soul to make money and thats why you have all these games. its never going to change anymore, deal with it.

The Prem is to blame for FA Cup replays?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

oliwan posted:

sorry, you are right. i guess I meant the FA and english football in general

But FA Cup replays have been a thing for far longer than football has been a big money industry

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Once Everton fall to the foreign hordes, 2/3rds of Prem clubs will be foreign owned and they can start pushing through their own rules, which of course they will do as all foreigners think exactly the same and want the same things

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I wish there was a way to watch the NBCSN studio commentary after the fact. I wanna see what they said about my Foxes yesterday. :allears:

They were poo poo lucky cunts with zero invention against the worst defence in the league and are going to lose the title to Spurs

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Its not going to be fun to pull a United or worse, a Liverpool and just become truly awful once he's gone but there's nothing appealing about knowing you're never going to win either.

Fans of most teams know they aren't going to win anything by August, at least Arsenal fans get to keep pretending there is a chance up until February.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink says Premier League club doctors should put pressure on the game's authorities to change the fixture calendar.

Good to see yet another angle brought into fixture whining. I wonder if they'll still want expert medical opinions on the amount of games teams should play when the expanded CL format is decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Shitshow posted:

What I feel more than anything else about Arsenal is boredom. The club is stuck in Groundhog's Day and only a new manager will break the routine, either for better or worse.

I remember when Charlton fans said this

• Locked thread