Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
We're still short on this? Sure, what's a third game?

I mean, I just have to not claim to investigate someone who got punched day 1. As long as I avoid that I'm not the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Three day deadline so I'll just come back in another day once the jokeposting has stopped since I'm terrible at dumb jokes.

Well, no wait, I have one.

Why did the squid cross the road?

To stay fresh.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Podima posted:

This is Trasson and Friction.123's second ever SA game, and the first one hasn't concluded yet. I don't blame them for being weirded out by jokephase, it's hard to get into.

##vote Friction.123 for mod sass tho

Oh, I get jokephase fine. That's why I made a dumb joke!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
also

Asiina posted:

##vote Trasson

I hate when people bitch about jokephase and then check out.

I HATE IT!

I hate it when people hate me die you're not a squid or a kid

##vote Asiina

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
MTG is a game about two players with preconstructed 60 card decks or built on site to spec 40 card decks going against each other that also happens to have people twist it into preconstructed 100 card decks with all sorts of crazy rules and specifications to play with eight people.

Burn Commander.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Splatfest: Mafia vs. BSG.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
also wow was a Podima game a weird game to have first. The deadline is three times as long and it's throwing me off.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

Also ANarc, Trasson, and Opop have less posts than the mod and that's not acceptable. Talk, people.

Sorry, busy day today. Things are actually happening so I'll look over everything and post some content.

This is assuming I don't get distracted with the source material more, of course (this game made me rediscover my love for the kelp charger). If I don't respond tonight it's either that or a dumb argument with my wife (no sword class though).

Day 1 always seems a bit crazy for me. Not because of the low content, but because of keeping track of everyone.

Since things are serious I'll ##unvote and review stuff now.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Okay, so I've gone and reviewed everything.

jesus christ jake and madman just go get a room already.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
realtalk:

Podima's being rather nice and friendly which could be him trying to butter up town but I honestly think he's just trying to coax his BSG buds (and people from last game) (myself and Friction) into participating. His other posts have been trying to get words out of Madman. Tentative town but that's more because I think Podima's a pretty cool guy than an actual read.

Jake's being a lot more aggressive about scumhunting than he was in Bastille Day (my only real point of reference). This tentatively puts him towards town in my mind but the plural of anecdote is not data; the singular certainly isn't.

Quidnose calls Podima out on being scum for...encouraging discussion on day 1? He also backs up Madman. Hard. His point is that Madman reads like frustrated town. I don't get that read, so it just feels like defending a buddy rather than countering a scum push.

Madman! Does nothing, votes Jake out of nowhere (Jake's game up until that point out of joke is to vote Quidnose for not much reason, to be fair) and then gets really mad when called out on that. Tries to redirect things to why Podima is leading a scum witch hunt onhim and why does town let this happen.

Most importantly:

quote:

Why hasn't anyone asked a couple simple questions: If a scum Madman wants to make Jake look stupid, then why the hell is he voting for himself? How exactly am I supposed to make someone calling me scum look stupid if I'm actually scum?

Aw hell no. I got called out by literally all three factions my last game on "would a scum do this?". You're not getting away with it here. Strong lead toward scum just out of sheer policy. Quidnose says he reads like frustrated town. I don't buy it. I was frustrated town last game: I defended myself instead of constantly going "waah see how they're picking on me". I even convinced some people. I think one or two of the people I convinced were even on my team!

That's the big plays of the last several pages. I'll go and give everyone else a once over now since the earlier part of the game is less fresh in my mind.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Asiina's mostly commenting on the Jake/Madman dance. She's basically saying thw two of them are dumb and encouraging other people to participate. Reads the same to me as last game where she was town, but I gather Asiina's an old hand at this so I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. Tentative town.

ANarc has said nothing. Less than nothing. I'm not sold on lack of posting being a scum tell (mostly because I myself post in fits and starts at fairly defined times of day), but there's just not much to analyze here. Tentative town based, again, on my limited experience with him last game.

I take that back. CCKeane has said even less. I have just about nothing of substance to go on: does anyone really want some sort of call here?

Friction hasn't done a whole lot thus far, which is in stark contrast to his Bastille Day style. Is he nervous scum being measured or is he just trying to not look like a scummy-but-townie newbie? My gut says the first but with how everyone was jumping on him last game I can't really blame him for trying to be a little quieter.

Goodness has done nothing of substance except call someone out on thinking Day 1 posts are worth analyzing. The only ones with something to lose from Day 1 analysis are the ones with something to hide, but why the hell would a scum make such an obvious tell? You know what though, it doesn't matter. Anyone whose content amounts to "lawl why even play the game right now" isn't someone I want around. Policy scum. If he flips town I don't care in the least.

Imgay has posted to say that he wants to die on Day 2 and it'll confirm town. He then later claimed deathmiller with no prompting at all. It seems like he's trying to sow discord? Or maybe get it out of the way now so that if he is killed then it can be claimed he was town? Or, Occam's Razor. He's scum, and he's claiming death miller as a way to exonerate a whole bunch of scumbuddies at once. Not feeling it. He's also posted a lot less useful content than by this time in Bastille Day. Scum or some sort of quirky third party role.
Some have suggested Jester, and imgay's posts seem to support even numbered Jester.. To those who know Kashuno better: would he put a Jester in such a setup? I literally haven't the faintest idea in that case, so I'm asking the more experienced people. Further, would he do Even Numbered Day Jester, and further off that, would he do the same as a deathmiller? That last seems unlikely but I feel as though I ought to ask.

imgay, give us some answers here. As it stands I'm forced to assume you're a scum with some sort of odd role doing a crazy gambit.

Opopanax has said nothing of worth. POST SOME MORE! Policy scum on lack of content, joining team ANarc and CCKeane

PBS Newshour, who I gather used to be known under a different name, hasn't been a shining star of content but at least has offered more than Team ANOPCC. That said....umm. Yeah. There's still not much. I honestly couldn't give a read I'd feel fine being quoted in either direction.

SirSamVimes hasn't said much but at least it has content. Most notably, calling out and voting Madman. Unless this is the most awkward and obvious distancing outside of literal ten year olds playing Mafia, I feel fine saying SSV is likely town.

Tommunist has said nothing.

quote:

POST SOME MORE! Policy scum on lack of content, joining team ANarc and CCKeane

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Alright, so some general thoughts and questions:

This is a closed setup. How many scum do we think we have? Bastille Day had 4 scum and a Serial Killer in, but that also gave the town a lot of power roles and did a decent job handicapping the scum team. Three here, given there's only fifteen players and there's no open setup to help the town puzzle things out?

The setup says there's a moderate amount of roles. Speaking as a newbie, not advocating this: does anyone think there's a good time for people to mass claim roles? If so, when? If so, why not? It won't change anything for me other than putting more info out there but Bastille Day hinged (by design, although I don't think in a way Lumpen expected) on a full claim by the town, so I want to know now while everyone is alive to offer opinions. For my own opinion: I don't know if it's a good idea because of the inherent risk, but a closed setup means a claim is the only chance for people to find out what others have available.

Finally, I expect plurality lynch means that if we don't hammer then whoever has the most votes at deadline gets...what was the term? Mooseknuckled? What happens in case of a tie, then?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Missed a few words. Bastille Day had four scum and a SK in a sixteen player game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Hey Asiina, are you going to answer these questions?

See how I continue to ask about questions that people don't answer?

This is needlessly antagonistic and is just promoting your own woe is me persecution narrative.

That said, it's a good point. As far as I can gather, Asiina, your town read on Podima is summed up as "against Madman, whom I disagree with". Could you give some more detail? Podima hasn't struck me as that definitively town yet.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

Its not a good point, he is still going on about how podima should have to grill him for him to give the reason for him making his vote, which is a ridiculous point, and any questioning from TMM about how Podima should constantly ask him to explain the vote should be ignored.

I'm not asking Podima to explain anything. I'm asking Asiina to explain why she thinks Podima is town because independent of the source I feel that is a good question and moreover one I want to see answered. I have a slightly-leaning-towards-town read on Podima; I want to see why someone else feels more sure.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

goodness posted:

Here is more of my thought on the issue for the few people who don't agree with my dismissal of D1.

From what I have seen in games on SA, there is a better chance to randomly select a person and them be a scum then trying to base your vote off D1 "info". Trying to make an educated vote only hurts town in a typical game on D1. And further hurts them by trying to use those D1 arguments as evidence later on. Does this change for a plurality game? I'll have to think about t but I don't think so.

You're going to have to present some proof.

Let's take a sixteen player 3 scum game to make the math easy. You are a player in this game; you are town. Thus, you have a one in three chance of blind voting scum. This is fundamental math for this game.

It stands to reason that any data at all improves those odds. At worst, they're the same. How could the odds go lower unless you posit any D1 activity actively draws attention away from scum? Unless you assume in a typical game that a scum player is so good at appearing town as to appear more town than actual town, there is no downside to D1 analysis. And if that is the case there is, in fact, no game because D1 activity extends all the way to hammer/deadline which is the sort of thing you'd be analyzing on D2 along with the flip.

Additionally, I would posit this does change yet more in a plurality vote. In our sixteen player/three scum example, if all thirteen town blind vote one of the fifteen other players odds are large--very large--a town will be lynched, even without scum intervention. Additionally, this will bring no useful info as the scum need not vote at all to see a town lynched!

You might say you're not advocating blind voting, but then what are you advocating? If D1 analysis doesn't help, then what do we do? You suggest blind voting has a better chance, but if everyone blind votes we are exceedingly likely to lynch town without scum intervention; all but assured with. So...what? Everyone unvotes and we no-lynch (is that even an option in this?). That gives us no data on D2 to work with, putting us in the same position, and there is no reason a lone scum couldn't dissent and vote a town, thus causing that town to countervote and attempt to build a case on the first scum and we're back where we started. Even if this weren't plurality D1 data is exceedingly important for D2, so...why are you arguing that we should literally not play the game, why are you arguing that's a winning move, and why should anyone take that as something other than a scum play?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

Exactly, you're leeching off of other people's hard work D1 if you start the game on D2. If everyone thought that way it'd be one of those games that never gets off the ground. Someone has to put in effort somewhere, so why wait?

Yeah you usually don't hit scum D1, but that doesn't mean you don't try.

Hey, you're around! Reiterating: why the strong town read on Podima (and to a lesser extent Jake)? I don't have any reasoning against it but I can't quite figure out why from your posts.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Ha, nice timing. Your thoughts seem to be the same as mine there, so question answered!

See, Madman, what happens when you're polite and reasonable?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Friction.123 posted:

FWIW the goodness thing seems more like an actual opinion he holds as opposed to a scum cover, someone who has played with him before can say more though.

Care to explain why you think that? Data does nothing but benefit town: what he posits certainly does not. How do you reconcile this?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

Welcome to why I'm voting for him.

Honestly the only reason I'm not is because you'd have to be high to think you could get away with that as a scum play, and this is one of the newbies saying that. Even still I'll likely make my way over that way before deadline.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
BSG Edit: On the other hand, this is SA and he very well could be high, so I guess that's not a town defense.

##vote goodness in case I get too distracted with video games tonight.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

hey y'all bucakroos gonna mosey my vote over this way in a couple hours Yeehaw

Lucky for you I decided to actually go and do such a thing. I'm just hesitant with voting because I'd rather wait for more info than risk someone getting hammered when I turn around for an hour or two. As I said above, I feel more data does nothing but benefit town so I'd rather keep that from happening.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

So...do you think he's scum? Too scummy to be scum?

The last player I thought who was advocating a plan I thought was so far past the crazy line that not only did it feel scummy but I felt was too scummy to be an actual scum turned out to be a town power role. You can see why I might be a tad hesitant in that regard.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

goodness posted:

Yes I am positing that voting based on D1 discussion is worse than random because it's usually just a bunch of town arguing with each other. The scum know who each other are and are can navigate the inky water a little better. I don't have a solution for this but if you go through the game history I think you will see that D1 votes based on arguments are less successful in hitting scum than random chance.

No, you're going to have to prove this. Saying "I don't have something go and look" is not proof. You're making an assertion: go and prove it or watch your scummy rear end get voted.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

lol you are the second vote on him, that would be one helluva turbo

I'm sitting around campus for the next forty minutes but then I have a doctor's appointment and travel time. Considering how close we are to deadline it's entirely possible for me to go from the second of two votes to the second of eight with 3+ hours to deadline before I can do anything when those last three hours could prove quite useful. I don't think I'm entirely baseless in my concern.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

i like how trasson turned to "see what you are saying and i might move my vote there soon" to "get lynched scumbo!"

Simple: I'm correctly being given crap for being all talk and no action. If I think he's scummy I should vote him, and if I think he should give me answers I should demand them with the only leverage I have. Being hedgy got me under a lot of suspicion last game so I'm going to try and be more decisive rather than be "ehh, not sure, lemme see what happens". If you're going to call me out on such behavior don't be surprised when I try to change it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

Your concern is a bit strange but for now I will give you the benefit of the doubt as a new player but will have my eye on you

I have real data. The lynch on Friction on D2 in Bastille mostly happened while I was away for a good part of that day: I saw what was going on and went to write a post on my thoughts and the lynch literally happened while I was typing. While we're farther from deadline in this game than at that instance I still have the instinct of "don't vote because the longer the vote goes the more discussion there is". I am in fact trying to move away from that, hence the vote.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

My point with that post was more with the fact that you seemed to go from hmm not really sure, but i see what you are saying to, brazen confidence in the span of like 2 posts and 10 minutes

Yeah, because I demanded proof and he refused to give it, saying "I don't have a solution but go look at other games". That's what turns it from "I don't really like this can you explain?" to "Dammit give me a solid answer or I'm going to assume you're scum and vote accordingly".

Not to put too fine a point on it, but not unlike "why are you voting me?" to "dude you just voted me with no context and refuse to give an explanation when asked why".

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

Are you guessing this because you are in the scumdoc and that's what you're doing?

It does fit the data.

CCKeane how many scum are in the scumdoc asking for a friend?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

I was going to come up with a response but then I kind of stared at the gif and forgot what I was going to say so you win this round I guess.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm sitting waiting in the waiting room on my phone you all should start arguing about something for my entertainment.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Quidnose posted:

He has done this a ton this game and I have pointed it out every. single. time. Why is this hard to understand and see?

For myself because I haven't read those games. The one I was in Jake was a lot more passive and he was SK. This game he's much more proactive on a couple of targets, which simply tells me that he's got a better chance of not being a serial killer. This isn't really reliable data so I'm going on my read of his current posting which feels more town.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Quidnose posted:

I am talking about this game, my god.

I read "all the time" as over multiple games and misread from there that you say this every game. My apologies!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
At this point I'm convinced goodness must be a jester or something that wants him to die because why does he keep highlighting his kick me sign.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Quidnose posted:

why would you even bring jester up as a possibility this is so scummy of you

Because there's a limited scope of options that explain how baffingly idiotic his last post was.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

is that the second time he did? someone brought up a jester earlier

Someone suggested imgay was a Jester.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I should clarify, I don't actually think goodness is a jester and am not going to change my vote unless a compelling case comes up elsewhere but I'm still wondering how any player could be so deaf as to continue to advocate for such an opinion as vote randomly d1 without some sort of motivator.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

Anon, Friction, Tommunist, CCKeane, and Opop all need to comment on the vote leaders or make another case

Seconding this. We have two hours left and most of you have been varying amounts of silent.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JakeP posted:

also don't read this if you are easily distracted unless you are CCKeane I was just at this brewery near me that makes some very good Sour Beers 10$ a bottle though :( anyway you were the one who introduced me to Sour Beers so i thought id share that. I just opened one so this is relevant

Sounds a dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Scummy you stupid phone stop ruining my bad jokes

• Locked thread