Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Fleve posted:

The same effect as a gif but quicker and smaller? How many babies do I need to sacrifice to the ancient gods of Webm for that? Although the attacks are probably more fun see during gameplay anyway, I'd love to know how to do the webm thing, there's bound to be other gif'able moments. Especially because my current process to gifs isn't the most seamless experience (find frames in Vdub, encode a small, lower resolution video, import into Photoshop, muck around and make sacrifices until I get something that isn't 5 mb).
If anything I just like the panning cutscene shots and I know those are a bitch to work properly in gif format without being huge, but:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SarcasticPlasticApe.webm

That webm is 1.4 mbs, which would normally be about a 6 mb gif (or more). But yeah, if you were interested I found webmcam(http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/14/windows/video-software/webmcam-record-desktop-screen-webm-format.html) pretty easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it really the mask of death or the mask of :torgue:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Helicopter tally at 23 + 1 = 24. Come on, Long, you can't have run out of birds already. Don't be a miser, send some more.

Everyone loves mr. Mask, Esq., but the way he reacted to Briggs plummeting into a bottomless pit was simply perfect.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Niggurath posted:

If anything I just like the panning cutscene shots and I know those are a bitch to work properly in gif format without being huge, but:
[webm]
That webm is 1.4 mbs, which would normally be about a 6 mb gif (or more). But yeah, if you were interested I found webmcam(http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/14/windows/video-software/webmcam-record-desktop-screen-webm-format.html) pretty easy to use.

Thanks, that looks really pretty (and easy). Even with 128 bit gifs you can't get that kind of detail in colour, it all washes out.

In other news, I did a few test runs and in about two episodes the game will get really heavy on the puzzles for a bit. I'm thinking I'll heavily abbreviate those, because even just playing it for the second time around is a tad boring. Watching me lug around some blocks and then jump up and down for 5 minutes while 'Holding E' on all the masks will probably not be the high point of your evening. I'll either speed that up, or just cut to the conclusion, whatever works better. Probably some well-timed cutting.

Either that or I read some passages of The Jungle Book in the background and I'll rename this thread as ''Imperialist Story-Time with Grandpa Fleve"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Fleve posted:

Either that or I read some passages of The Jungle Book in the background and I'll rename this thread as ''Imperialist Story-Time with Grandpa Fleve"

I vote this. Story time is always interesting.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

I vote this. Story time is always interesting.

Seconded.

I saw a partial stream of this game a while back, and it looked interesting, so it's nice to see it from the start.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Long is the best villain. Between firing the safety and maintenance crews to make things more dangerous for Briggs Chu-Chu, and the weapon rental line, he's just a wonderful bad guy.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Aztec imagery and lore always seems to be woefully under-represented in games. About the only one that immediately comes to mind is the Splatterhouse remake.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

OSHA would poo poo so many bricks. Marlow needs to bring this place down, for everyone's sake's.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So, er, nobody's commented what a wonderful name the Indefenistrable is? I mean, despite the fact it's spelled wrong, it is a very apt name for something that you cannot, generally speaking, throw out of a window! :haw:

...And yet, somehow, I think Marlow Briggs might do just that, because it doesn't think it's improbably action movie-ish enough. :stare:

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

In which we learn of Eva’s unintentional and Heng Long’s intentional (but not entirely well-timed nor graphically very convincing) superpowers.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I'm not dreaming right? Because I'm certain Marlow's voice is the same guy who did Pierce in Saints Row. In which case my head-canon is that he is Pierce.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

double nine posted:

So I'm not dreaming right? Because I'm certain Marlow's voice is the same guy who did Pierce in Saints Row. In which case my head-canon is that he is Pierce.

Fleve confirmed this right at the top of the thread, yes.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Oh yeah he's definitely Pierce, he does a lot of other game voices too. All the voice acting in the game is surprisingly solid and done by rather well-known actors. The only one I've been unable to identify is Eva. Heck, surprisingly solid could be this game's tagline. I'm loving the colour, backgrounds, and sense of scale. They knew exactly what they were aiming for.

The launch trailer for the game is pretty great. There are a few scenes that could be considered spoiler-ish (especially in terms of boss appearances), so if you don't want to see that then don't click. Otherwise, it's an A-grade B-movie trailer.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fleve posted:

Oh yeah he's definitely Pierce, he does a lot of other game voices too. All the voice acting in the game is surprisingly solid and done by rather well-known actors. The only one I've been unable to identify is Eva. Heck, surprisingly solid could be this game's tagline. I'm loving the colour, backgrounds, and sense of scale. They knew exactly what they were aiming for.

The launch trailer for the game is pretty great. There are a few scenes that could be considered spoiler-ish (especially in terms of boss appearances), so if you don't want to see that then don't click. Otherwise, it's an A-grade B-movie trailer.

Yeah, despite being B-movie: the videogame the aesthetics are quite solid and nice; no brown filter for one.

Although it clearly needs more helicopters (none this update, tally still 24).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Omobono posted:

Yeah, despite being B-movie: the videogame the aesthetics are quite solid and nice; no brown filter for one.

Although it clearly needs more helicopters (none this update, tally still 24).

No flying ones, but there were several of them destroyed on the ground.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Rest assured, we'll get more helicopters soon. I really enjoyed the next part, it has some quality Marlow/Mask chat too.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Disco Infiva posted:

No flying ones, but there were several of them destroyed on the ground.

I'm not counting those, though. They're scenery, not opponents.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Back to form again. We get explosions, flames, choppers, ridiculous jumping puzzles, a change of scenery and a bunch of other good stuff.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You got a point with being expected to die - how else are you going to get the Mask's snarkiest and fourth-wall-breakiest comments? (I don't think we got the one about the health bar yet?)

edit: Speaking of overlong cutscenes, I love the fact there's an achievement for playing through the game while skipping every single one.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 12, 2016

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

citybeatnik posted:

Aztec imagery and lore always seems to be woefully under-represented in games. About the only one that immediately comes to mind is the Splatterhouse remake.

You're not wrong but this game's using Mayan stuff. Between that and that it's actually accurate is the most surprising thing about it honestly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

You're not wrong but this game's using Mayan stuff. Between that and that it's actually accurate is the most surprising thing about it honestly.
To be fair a lot of the stuff is shared, you just get Kukulkan instead of Quetzalcoatl, for example.

Anyhow I've been playing ahead and I'm seriously looking forward to the section after the next video. And to the continued helicopter tally.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow I've been playing ahead and I'm seriously looking forward to the section after the next video. And to the continued helicopter tally.

I believe it's 27 helicopters shot down last video, for a current total of 24+27 = 51. All hail the mighty Chuchu(:lol:) and his conveniently placed guns.
How does the Mayan afterlife work? You kill it, you own it rules? Is Marlow going to have a fleet of helicopters on call after his death?

That treasure taunt was amazing. I know we've already said this a lot, but Mask is goddamn fantastic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

I believe it's 27 helicopters shot down last video, for a current total of 24+27 = 51. All hail the mighty Chuchu(:lol:) and his conveniently placed guns.
How does the Mayan afterlife work? You kill it, you own it rules? Is Marlow going to have a fleet of helicopters on call after his death?
Not really, sadly. Basically, you die, you go to Xibalba, which is a dark and dangerous place full of monsters, and you need to escape it, then ascend through a whole lot of worlds (with Earth somewhere in the middle) in order to reach paradise, where the gods live. Should you succeed in this quest, the gods will let you spend the rest of eternity in happiness on a lower level of your choosing - apparently the most popular being a couple of lower gods' domains themed around rain and sea.
Now there's exceptions for this and certain types avoid this and go straight up to meeting the gods - most notably warriors, women who died in childbirth, sacrifical victims and Bloody Mayan Ballgame players.
Basically, death was just the beginning of their problems.

Please keep that tally going, the game will introduce a mechanic bound to drive you insane. Maybe we should start taking bets?

e: By the way, Fleve, you mentioned you got all the collectibles - does that include the ones in the credits? Because that's a royal pain in the rear end.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fleve posted:

Oh yeah he's definitely Pierce
Considering that the Saints became a media empire between 2 and 3, a purpler version of this probably exists there, with even more Revenge On Helicopters. At least double, I think.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just imagine that it's a direct-to-tv Syfy movie he did starring himself after beefing up a bit for the role.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Updates delayed a bit cause I got stuck reading light novels on the internet. I tend to be unable to stop reading when I start, which kindof turns me into a reclusive hermit whenever I pick up something like the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I dread the day when Brandon Sanderson finishes another series.

I'll have a new update either tomorrow or the day after, and then an update every other day like previously.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Had to postpone things for a little longer than I thought. Well, time for puzzles, or rather, time for creative solutions.

After thinking about it for a while, I thought an old conquistador account of Bernal Diaz Del Castillo would be the most fitting backdrop for the game. Bernal participated as a foot soldier in Hernán Cortés’ conquest of Mexico and wrote his memoirs some fifty years after. It’s a surprisingly good read and there’s a free translation over on Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32474/32474-h/32474-h.htm

My reading of his memoirs isn’t entirely literal. I’ve translated the term ‘cazique’ into chieftain because I didn’t want to go and use footnotes in a video. I’ve also skipped a few sentences, passages, here and there, to make things fit better into the timeslots I had to work with.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The scorpions are really frustrating to fight, not because they're dangerous - they're not, having two heavily telegraphed attacks and whatnot - but because the fuckers just take forever to kill. There's a weapon that allows you to completely clown them but sadly it's the last (and best) one you get.

e: Actually, the stinger was (along the with last weapon) what got me through most of the game - on normal but it would probably work on hard too because the main thing about it is that as long as you avoid its couple of slow attacks, it's really safe. It requires a bit more control - buttonmashing can and will get you killed - but when you know what you're doing you're untouchable.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 25, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Long's plan is pretty much what we all thought. It's not like he didn't explain the end goal right at the start of the game, in between evil cackling, evil moustache twirling and evil murdering Marlow.

I'm not counting that helicopter, that's the scorpion's kill. Helicopters destroyed by scorpions: 1. The mere fact that it's not 0 is astounding.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The scorpions are really frustrating to fight, not because they're dangerous - they're not, having two heavily telegraphed attacks and whatnot - but because the fuckers just take forever to kill. There's a weapon that allows you to completely clown them but sadly it's the last (and best) one you get.

e: Actually, the stinger was (along the with last weapon) what got me through most of the game - on normal but it would probably work on hard too because the main thing about it is that as long as you avoid its couple of slow attacks, it's really safe. It requires a bit more control - buttonmashing can and will get you killed - but when you know what you're doing you're untouchable.

There's a few encounters later on that I sortof cheesed through by relying solely on the stinger. Especially the one with the multiple giants and really fast sword-things that both spawn in waves, gently caress that encounter. On hard difficulty they had such ridiculous amounts of health that the whole battle turned into attrition warfare. Took me nearly 15 minutes chipping away at their health. I wouldn't recommend playing hard difficulty and it baffles me that there's actually 1.5% of people out there who have completed the game on hardcore difficulty. That is just masochistic.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Hold on, did that first puzzle room look a lot bigger than it actually was, then turn out to be so old that it just broke halfway through and let you pass?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Hold on, did that first puzzle room look a lot bigger than it actually was, then turn out to be so old that it just broke halfway through and let you pass?

Nah we solved the puzzle proper and poo poo just crumbled as a bonus. It'd be refreshing though if once in a while all these ancient puzzles you find in Tomb Raider or Marlow would just break down the moment you touch them and you solve them by accident. Course it breaks, poo poo's hundreds of years old.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

"treat uninsured casualties as fatalities"

too real, game
too real

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AriadneThread posted:

"treat uninsured casualties as fatalities"

too real, game
too real

Yeah, that didn't seem over the top enough for Long.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm getting some serious Sen's Fortress vibes, only flashier. And more forgiving.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This pilot apparently has the fastest legs on the planet. And we're the ones who're supposed to have super powers!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
King Tep really liked his balls, as shall become evident later.

e: I'm really impressed with how you handled the sideways log jumping. Those things are spaced at exactly Marlow's double jump range and just nudging a bit to the wrong side will send you plummeting into a bottomless pit. I'll freely admit I'm terrible at platforming but this was one of the most frustrating bits of the game for me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

King Tep really liked his balls, as shall become evident later.

e: I'm really impressed with how you handled the sideways log jumping. Those things are spaced at exactly Marlow's double jump range and just nudging a bit to the wrong side will send you plummeting into a bottomless pit. I'll freely admit I'm terrible at platforming but this was one of the most frustrating bits of the game for me.

Oh there's a fair bit of stuff you don't see where I bumble about in sections and sneak in near unnoticeable cuts. I got pretty lucky with the logs though, I don't think I did any editing there. I also have the tendency to restart a recording if I gently caress up too much at the start. The worst I had was during the Gunslinger LP where I re-recorded a particular section about 20-30 times.

Rest assured, you wouldn't want to see all my deaths.

Edit: Wait, this is stupid, I'm going to replace my next page post with this one so that the update is on the next page instead, that looks better.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread