Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Champenema posted:

Soak in icy cold water 1/2 hr, blot dry. Pan sear, bake remaining 15 minutes, turn bake more, 350 degrees.

So what would a good process be to spend an hour or two making vacuum-packs of fries for the freezer... all the prep ahead of time so I can just throw a serving in the deep fryer for 10 minutes when it is time to cook dinner for the family? I don't want to do all that work at the time of. I want to put aside a Saturday afternoon and do all the prep work all at once for several servings, for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
are potato wedges considered fries, like they are fried potatoes only htey are in like a wedge instead of a steak or thin cut way but they are pretty much fries i think they are good i ate some with fried chicken tonight for dinner it was tasty but not a good healthy thing dang oh well

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Is the pope catholic?

Since I don't like ketchup I consume my fries salted or with bbq sauce.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Props on the proper frying technique, and peanut oil is a good choice, though try lard next time (I swear, no jokes, it's very good). Don't forget to season with coarse salt immediately after you pull them after the second fry though!

The only flaw was the potatoes themselves. Russets are pretty meh frites potatoes. If you can find some, use bintje potatoes, otherwise Yukon Gold potatoes work perfectly well too.

Whip up some homemade mayonnaise while you're in-between the two frying periods and voila, perfect fritedom.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
apparently a lot of people hate waffle fries from chick fil a but i enjoy them

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Robo Reagan posted:

oh gently caress anyone who dislikes waffle(or "criss-cut") fries ):<

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Home deep frying seems like it goes hand in hand with wearing sweatpants in public; something you do when you've completely given up on life.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
steak fries are the pro level fry (if seasoned properly i.e. fuddruckers)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Home made tater chips are better.

There I said it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

So what would a good process be to spend an hour or two making vacuum-packs of fries for the freezer... all the prep ahead of time so I can just throw a serving in the deep fryer for 10 minutes when it is time to cook dinner for the family? I don't want to do all that work at the time of. I want to put aside a Saturday afternoon and do all the prep work all at once for several servings, for later.

fry once, drain, freeze, seal, freezer, fry

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
sounds like the piece of poo poo idiot OP needs to be sent to Guantanamo to learn what a freedom fry is. even Enfield understands whats up.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
any and all potato products are to consumed with large quantities of a1 boss sauce

Mauvais
Jul 24, 2002

HUZZAH
I like sweet potato fries :)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I like french fries thanks for asking OP.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I like Jojo's, tater tots, fries, chips, scalloped... I love potatoes no matter how you slice um.

Weird spot to admit to liking anime

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tom Gorman posted:

fry vending machines own

do NOT use these read about our own forums poster enfield if you think im kidding

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Best fries ive had were fried in duck fat

Robo Reagan posted:

Theyre great assuming theyre fresh

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
french fries make good retard food because retards don't eat meat

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why would you bother peeling the potatoes if your making fries? just leave the skin on, its good for you

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

they're called 'chips' op, and they're from Belgium

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Chicken Nugger

Sweer Potatoe

French Fried

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
love em

next question

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?

extra stout posted:

do NOT use these read about our own forums poster enfield if you think im kidding

Is that why he's on fire?

Goondolences, enfield

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

dad gay. so what posted:

steak fries are the pro level fry (if seasoned properly i.e. fuddruckers)

Correct post

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kuato posted:

sounds like the piece of poo poo idiot OP needs to be sent to Guantanamo to learn what a freedom fry is. even Enfield understands whats up.

watch your dang language!

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
yes but how do i like dooz nuts on my face?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Trip report

McDonald's fries: gummy, thin, all fry.

Wendy's: similar, a bit more potato fluff inside. A larger 'grain'. Slightly more believable.

Burger King: larger grain than wendy's, somehow greasier and less potato flavor.

Jack in the Box: reg fries were the large, generic 'burger place' fry. Shades of flavor.

Curly fries were superior to regular fries, but inferior in crispness to Arbys.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

King of Bees posted:

Made some french fries (to go with some delicious hotdogs) (Boars head all beef dogs with fresh toasted rolls) last night.

Peeled and cut some Idaho potatoes in the "shoestring" fashion, rinsed and parboiled and into an ice bath they went. Deep fried them at 375 for a bit, then deep fried them again to get a good crunch. Oh, used peanut oil for the cooking.

They came out great. Served them with ketchup for the kids and malt vinegar for me. Oh, kosher salt.

Anyone else here like french fries? How do you like them and what do you eat them with?

Yeah that's the stuff! I do them in the same way, except that I use rape oil because peanut oil is too expensive here.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
freedom fries and rollin str8 coal bitch

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

fry once, drain, freeze, seal, freezer, fry

You don't say much friend, but when you do it's concise and to the point, and I salute you for it.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
freedom fries

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Freedom cajun curlies

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Home deep frying seems like it goes hand in hand with wearing sweatpants in public; something you do when you've completely given up on life.

You sound boring. People that home deep fry and wear sweatpants are actually geniuses. The fact that you think some social stigma surrounds either of these things makes me wonder what kind of boring life it is that you lead. If someone told me they had a deep fryer I would immediately respect them 100% more, cause they got poo poo figured out. If he's wearing sweatpants I will offer him a job as a life coach because I'm loving up over here. I don't own a deep fryer OR a pair of sweatpants!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i forgot how stupid jello is. you cant get gordon ramsey on a bowl of orange jello but it takes 4 hours to make? seems like an epic fail to me. suck my balls jello

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Enfield posted:

i forgot how stupid jello is. you cant get gordon ramsey on a bowl of orange jello but it takes 4 hours to make? seems like an epic fail to me. suck my balls jello

stick to pudding. but yeah if jello took a shorter time to make i'd be eatin that poo poo erry day.

You know who has good fries? Five Guys. I think the best fries I've had are those Boardwalk Fries that they serve at theme parks that cost like 5 dollars for a small fry. Also why is there like a massive community of people that put their french fries in their milkshakes? What the gently caress is up with that? Do people make fries at home and then eat them with a bowl of ice cream or something?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 7, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

stick to pudding. but yeah if jello took a shorter time to make i'd be eatin that poo poo erry day.

You know who has good fries? Five Guys. I think the best fries I've had are those Boardwalk Fries that they serve at theme parks that cost like 5 dollars for a small fry. Also why is there like a massive community of people that put their french fries in their milkshakes? What the gently caress is up with that? Do people make fries at home and then eat them with a bowl of ice cream or something?

its cuz the fry is salty but otherwise has no overpowering taste, never tried chocolate with salted pretzels in it? good as hell

if the fry isn't salty then i simpy cannot explain the appeal.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my goto fry seasoning is salt and old bay with a little black pepper but i havmt experimented too much

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Way back in my youth in my old home town there was a chicken place called Stamm's . You could go there and get a pound of fries for 25 cents. Literally one pound of hot french fries, wrapped up in foil. It was a good deal.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
drat. That's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

• Locked thread