Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

luxury handset posted:

meanwhile, the only thing uber has is a fairly simple middleman app that leads to endless competition, as well as the brand they've so expensively forged. uber is more of a holding company for the term 'uber' than a tech company at this point, and it's not clear what they could feasibly produce that other firms would be interested in buying. let alone the absurd idea that uber would get into manufacturing electric helicopters or whatever

uber already has a horde of slave drivers though, the next step is to figure out how to combine cars and drivers into wheeled cyborgs.

the step after that is to remove the cyborgs' urge to rape customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

are there many cliffs or massive elevation changes in DC, Biden's home or other common prez places?

The geography of DC consists entirely of fiscal cliffs and mountains of DEBT (see Ramirez, Michael P). :barry:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

The 3rd episode hits privatized health care hard. Which is interesting because my understanding is that South Korea has universal health care.

So maybe they are alluding to another industrialized nation.

Yeah, they're OECD top.

quote:

The quality of South Korean healthcare has been ranked as being among the world's best. It had the OECD's highest colorectal cancer survival rate at 72.8%, significantly ahead of Denmark's 55.5% or the UK's 54.5%. It ranked second in cervical cancer survival rate at 76.8%, significantly ahead of Germany's 64.5% or the U.S. at 62.2%.[1] Hemorrhagic stroke 30 day in-hospital mortality per 100 hospital discharges was the OECD's third lowest at 13.7 deaths, which was almost half the amount as the U.S. at 22.3 or France's 24 deaths. For Ischemic stroke, it ranked second at 3.4 deaths, which was almost a third of Australia's 9.4 or Canada's 9.7 deaths. South Korean hospitals ranked 4th for MRI units per capita and 6th for CT scanners per capita in the OECD. It also had the OECD's second largest number of hospital beds per 1000 people at 9.56 beds, which was over triple that of Sweden's 2.71, Canada's 2.75, the UK's 2.95, or the U.S. at 3.05 beds.[1]

Even then what I've heard is that the Asian finance crisis affected so many Korean families reeeeaaaaal bad and the show reflects that. Even if you have the best universal healthcare, the better off people will be better off because they can skip all queues that working people have to wait in.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

It doesn't need to. Schools know how many students they have and what an average student consumes. Schools require parents to inform and (in most cases) prove dietary needs if they want them catered. Schools know how much waste is left by the end of the day down to the gram if they want to.

The resulting deductions aren't rocket science. A voucher system is just pointless administration if the vouchers aren't tied to financing.

Also lol at the idea that schools don't know each and every student that skip lunch. Have any of you worked at a school?

Be careful. Talking to people from some places about kids taking school lunch by themselves is equivalent to talking to Oregonistanese about pumping fuel. They think that it will inevitably lead into chaos and anarchy, it just can't be done without face recognition software! :nsa:

https://i.imgur.com/Nh5ZoqD.mp4

e: wow, I'm sorry. I didn't notice I was so far behind in the thread :ohdear:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

My doctor wrote to blockchain that I'm a hypochondriac with drug addictions and now I can't get any care from anywhere, please help I'm dying

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also like, is the idea doctors alone would hold the key meaning if they went out of business they would simply not give you the key making the situation identical to if they did not exist to give you the record.

OR

is the idea that you would hold the key yourself, have free edit rights to your medical records and just live in a world where leaked medical records is not only a thing but also leaked medical editing rights? Like will I be going to the doctors explaining every time that 4chan is giving me butt cancer over and over because someone hacked my email once?

You buy treatment as non-fungible tokens that link to a .jpg in Wikipedia that shows what kind of tumour you have?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm below that line, not quite sure I can strictly call myself part of the arctic, the actual circle is a few hundred km north.

The good news is that in some decades time our climate will resemble more that of Poland or with some extra luck maybe Hungary, it will just be lighter summers and darker winters! Like, really dark winters, no snow. It's going to be lovely!

Oh, did I say there will be light in summers? Well the forest fires across all of northern Europe from Scandinavia to Siberia will cover us in eternal smoke for the fire season, so we don't have to suffer of harmful UV radiation on our fair skins as long as there are forests left to burn.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

https://www.moddb.com/mods/nft-doom/downloads/nft-doom-a11

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Tesla is basically a meme stock for investors.

Non-Fungible Tesla

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Climate change and urgent decarbonisation should be acting as an extra incentive to reduce car dependency and develop better cities. Alas…

The primacy of the car is extremely difficult to challenge.

Once you live at FEMA camps because the entire continent has either burned down or drowned you won't be needing cars anymore, so it's a self-fixing problem.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

I suspect what a lot of musk supporters do not grasp is that musk's vision of "saving the planet" only involves saving people like him, ie: very rich people. Obviously building a tunnel to act as an extra lane of traffic is a terrible idea, since an extra lane just induces more demand and traffic won't get any better. However, he isn't thinking about the effect of this extra lane on traffic in general; to him, the poor can wait in traffic, this sleek, extra-fast lane will only be used by rich people, like him. If the richest can escape to Mars, who cares if the bottom 99.99% of humans die scavenging for scraps on a dying Earth? It is a similar mindset to those who support scalping necessities during an emergency: as long as rich people can easily get whatever they want, who cares if the poor are suffering?

We can take solace that even as we die of problems caused by them, they will be eaten alive by bronterocs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Crain posted:

Safety issues and technology issues and efficiency issues and all the other stuff aside: Even for a proof of concept demo it's so boring.

PVC panels and some Ikea RGB lights on a basic cycle. For someone who relies on feeding into people's sci-fi fantasies about potential technology, Musk couldn't be bothered to hire a decent designer?

At the very least line it up with flashing led lights that make it look like you're driving at warp speed.

Incidentally this is also what driving in a blizzard looks like. So Elon's holes are worse than driving in a blizzard. If you're a nerd, that is, and we know Elon's clientele.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

What if you load your dishwasher in the morning, and then forget to turn it on? What if you don't know what water temperature and wash intensity settings to use, and need an app to tell you? Do you want a dishwasher that's smart enough to turn itself off when it's done washing your dishes? By golly, Home Connect is the dishwasher for you!

https://www.home-connect.com/global/smart-home-appliances/dishwashers

...in other words, it doesn't really do anything genuinely useful or interesting, but Wi-Fi chips are cheap and a lot of marketing buzzwords can be implemented in software.

This sounds handy. Too bad the washer's water tap is closed (because I don't want a flood while I'm away from home) so it will have to wait until I get home to actually start running...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Using the FSD costs $12000, which I take is just collateral for the inevitable damages (which Tesla might have to compensate after years in court).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

You could probably brush your teeth even without the GPU and IOT, but then it wouldn't reward you for dental hygiene by mining you bitcoins as you do it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Carbon credits are great. I can buy an existing forest and pretend I'm carbon neutral because now existing de-carboning infrastructure is enclosed by my company. And then every year I get to reclaim the same forest when I recommit my promise not to clear-cut it down.
Well, at least until we have a bad year and I need the lumber to bolster profits so the line can go up.

If you never cut the forest then the trees will die and rot, releasing that carbon into atmosphere. So cutting it means being even more carbon neutral! :pseudo:

//sidenote: this is a big point of contest in EU right now, when national governments, forest industry, conservationists and everyone have their own ways of calculating what kind of forest economy model would be optimal. It doesn't help that some countries have practically zero wild forests left and some have lots and lots of them, but are also more reliant on forest industry. Protecting forests is the best choice for eco diversity, but on the other hand favouring the use of timber in house building would store that carbon for long & reduce the use of concrete. Then there's different ways of cutting forest, some of which are more efficient but again worse for diversity.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

Doerr’s doctor scheduled an MRI scan to rule out a brain-stem tumor. But because an MRI’s intense magnetic fields can interact with the Argus II, MRI providers are instructed to contact Second Sight before performing any scans—and Second Sight wasn’t picking up the phone. Doerr eventually got a CT scan instead, which found nothing. “I still don’t know if I have a brain-stem tumor or not,” he tells Spectrum.

:stonklol:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

those touchscreens are pretty big, a couple feet tall, to accommodate all the icons necessary in a large enough size for people with limited vision to use. it would be difficult to mount them at a suitable height to be usable for people both in small cars as well as giant trucks

Imagine if we lived in a scifi future where we all carried a touchscreen in our pocket!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there any voice recognition software that not only supports multiple languages, but just automatically detects what language someone is speaking instead of needing to be explicitly set to a language? Given the current state of the art, I kinda doubt it.

I don't have an iPhone, but I'm pretty sure you can't just roll up and start speaking French to Siri. You have to go into a menu and change its language setting first.

You can try this by going to Google Translate, choosing "detect language" and then saying some phrases in different languages to mic. The results are wild. Selecting a language will give far more accurate results.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Okay, so how's this for the US market. Make a bulletproof screen and you just shoot at biathlon targets next to the pictures of items you want. You can call it the drive-by-through!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

But I mean, that is what EPCOT was: A stage show. Yes, you did real jobs, but everyone was supposed to come tour EPCOT and see the utopia you were working in.

Have these people heard of renaissance fairs? You can do all of that without paying a tithe to a megacorp!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

withak posted:

Countdown until the dealer sticker starts to include a bigger number in the small print for the ad-free version.

Surely this will be a monthly subscription.

Then you still get ad pop-ups but they're just Ford's own.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I find a van is the superior vehicle in most cases, or a trailer.

­­¿Por que no los todos?

I present you the long van, or vaan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

Almost a year ago El Salvador adopted Bitcoin as legal tender along with the dollar, and now the country is on the verge of defaulting:
https://twitter.com/_DavidFitz/status/1524424799912660992?s=20&t=mYN6IVqttJBRoQYEhE-GcQ

I have faith in president Bukkake, he's got that serial entrepreneur spirit needed to bring El Hodlator TO THE MOON!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Does the dwarf have a bionic arm?

Does that not count for body type points?

Is it counting as a disability?

Disability to do what?

It used to be their fisting hand.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

What if humans are biological computers though?

Universe is computer. Evolution is the code. We are an undocumented feature.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Doggles posted:

A following distance of 3-5 seconds? Not with my assertive autopilot!

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1480218411162550273

Excuse moi, I refuse to use a beta Autopilot. I want the Alpha version! :dong:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress that, get some GAI online. if I have to live in this hellworld, so does a robomind

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Fellate Capitalists

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

I missed Tesla chat, but I wanted to ask, why is Musk allowed to sell his "technology" using names like "Autopilot" and "Full Self-Driving" if it not actually capable of driving itself. Like, words have meaning, right? "Full Self-Driving" has a clear, unambiguous meaning. Not even "self-driving", but "FULL self-driving". But his story to the government to allow its use on city streets is to say "oh, it's assistive tech only".

The TrashFuture podcast mentioned something the other day that stuck with me. I imagine most of you have heard the story about how the streets in America were taken away from pedestrians and changed to suit cars. Since self-driving cars cannot navigate our current messy, cross-walk and pedestrian-ridden streets, will our streets be simplified again to suit self-driving cars? When a man gets hit by a car, will the response just be "Oh, he tried to cross at a non-designated crossing zone/he wasn't wearing his high visibility pedestrian jacket"?

You see, in Elong's native Afrikaans 'auto' just means car and 'pilot' means navigator. And 'full self-driving' translates to pedestrian-murdering killbot. It's just a misunderstanding! :eng101:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Do you think nuclear submarines transport peacetime cargo?

I don't know, sinking nuclear waste into the bottom of sea sounds like a good idea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

America Inc. posted:

Is it possible to draw an analogy between today's problems with disinformation on social media and the yellow journalism of the turn of the 20th century?

It's almost like the move to digital media was a step backward for many people, because the decay of centralized sources for news has produced a proliferation of content which many people aren't trained and able to sift through intelligently.

In the same manner, the early 1900s saw the rise of mass media and a newly literate audience that wasn't trained to see through yellow journalism.

There's my high school level thesis

You're saying that as if bad journalism and people unable to read media critically went away at some point?

I think the main difference is that when reading Murdochmedia you don't yell back at the paper. Or maybe some do. Social media is interactive, which makes it more engrossing and allows for phenomena such as Qanon to develop. And since it's global, if something resonates even with 0.1% of audience then that's millions of people worldwide.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Yeah, the idea that "people of importance" would ever dirty their hands touching a computer instead of paying someone else to do it made me laugh.

The types of Vladimir Putin don't even have smartphones or use Internet, they just have everything printed for them and dictate their messages.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PT6A posted:

My favourite example of ignoring things that should be usability requirements is the Garmin GTN650/750 GPS. It's an aviation GPS, and by all accounts it's exceptional except for one very, very significant flaw. You see, like most new devices, they thought: touchscreens are great, we'll use one of those for all the main functions.

It works great in a simulator, it works great on the ground, but... add in some light to moderate turbulence in flight, all of a sudden that touchscreen is absolutely gently caress useless, and you're trying to brace your hand against something else in the cockpit to have a hope of pressing the parts of the screen you intend to touch while avoiding the ones you don't mean to touch.

It doesn't work well even on ground if your touchscreen gets wet or snowy or dirty... which is not rare when roaming the outdoors. Or if you are wearing normal gloves. A physical interface is always better for wilderness unless you are having a light stroll in perfect weather.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Also modern fridges don't eat the ozone layer for breakfast.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's a term for this chess move

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Might as well ask here, Twitter has in the last hour or so become extremely unresponsive. Images don't load on embedded tweets on this page, Twitter front page doesn't load etc. Anyone else?

e: seems to be just my broadband connection, on my phone it works fine.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 13, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Okay, it was just the browser's hiccup. Restarting worked.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Zachack posted:

There's always a chance that someone will create the next Wii Sports or Fortnite that massively drives adoption but I think the reason for various poorly thought-out VR business applications is also that there's this hope that someone will stumble into some particular work-case that essentially jumps the barrier between enthusiasts and normal people, and also proves to be lasting vs most videogames.

Like, my job involves climbing something that is, uh, sometimes the OSHA.jpg thread, and currently the marching orders seem to be "don't climb anything, particularly the really bad ones", but that's a big problem because we need to climb those things and the bad ones are usually what need it the most. I and others joke about getting drones so we can just video a lot of it (and we all want to play with drones) but a VR-controlled drone would actually be safer, probably faster, and in some cases result in more meaningful output. But I don't know if my use case has enough similar use in other industries such that it would be enough to drive the technology to the extent needed for that kind of feasibility.

VR drones, you say? Cops, guards and military would be interested, and a large enough sector to make it feasible! :cop::mil101:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Meta is just short for "meth addict".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Imagine working for Google with the specific job of inspecting photos that AI believes are cp but customers say are just innocent photos of their child's genital rash.

"JUST LOOK AT THIS IMAGE OF MY CHILD'S DISEASED GENITAL AREA AND TELL ME IS THIS PORN?!"

:shepicide: