Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Vaping as a replacement for smoking and hence keeping the fog to a minimum: okay I have no issue with this.
Vaping to produce a loving cloud of "smoke" the size of a god drat party balloon because you care more about how it looks then getting your sick sick nicotine hit: you're a dumb bitch rear end kid.

I made my bf switch to vapes because i'm an unfun killjoy who wants to see him not get as much lung cancer when we grow old and it's loving impossible to find a vape that is not massively wanky and stupid and the one he settled on recently still manages to have a dumb little screen and bluetooth support and RGB LED's. Before that he had one that looked like a pipe that was less wanky but a million times dumber looking :v:

At least he actually goes outside to do it usually and when it's too cold to he makes a note to blow it away from people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shiksa posted:

People get cancer from all sorts of poo poo. Plenty of people get lung cancer who never smoked in their lives. Were actually super awesome at getting cancer after we extended life expectancy past like 60.

Doesn't smoking cause a specific kind of lung cancer that nothing else does though? That's how I always understood it working, but I could be wrong.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I use a 75 watt box(I usually only run between 25-45 depending on the ohm of the coil I have in it) and it's kept me from smoking(I used to smoke about a pack a day). I guess I got into the box mod thing because my introduction to vaping was basically me buying one off a guy at work, so the box mod + tank is how I used to begin with. I never take in in public and blow clouds because that's obviously obnoxious and lovely to do, regardless if the smoke is "healthy" or not. I will say, when I was a smoker I constantly had phlegm sliding around in my lungs and would wake up choking on it. Now my lungs are clear and I don't cough anything up, so while it may not be perfectly healthy it's definitely magnitudes better than cigarettes, imo.

I also feel it's not as addicting as cigarettes in general. Used to, whenever I left the house, even for just an hour, I'd take my cigarettes with me to smoke. Now the only place I take my vape is to work, where I only use it where cigarettes are allowed. I see the whole obnoxious vaper thing online a lot, but I've actually never encountered one in real life trying to blow clouds indoors, but that could just be because I"m in Alabama, which isn't a very "hipster" place. Also the longer I use it, the less "fun" it seems to be, so I'm hoping to eventually just phase it all the way out without going back to smoking. Also, I always tell non-smokers who seem interested to not bother taking it up in the first place, because that's stupid as hell.

i'm in florida and vaper assholes are infrequent but definitely there, especially in and around hookah or kava bars. occasionally you see some little teen poo poo with one at the mall trying to look cool but that's about it.

i mean it's the same with fedora nerds, i don't see them often but when i do see them they're always hilarious and exactly in line with the stereotype.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I get like insta-headaches if I breathe a good amount of it, i have no idea why. i've smoked cigarettes in the past as a nice mellow way to come down off highs in college and they never did that to me but going from fresh air to a full breath of second-hand vapor gives me an instant sharp headache in my forehead every time. i accept that it may be placebo but drat still hurts the same if it is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

why don't you just man up and quit smoking and have some discipline?

because addiction isn't a moral failing you can wish yourself out of?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

you can quit cigarettes, people do it every day, I did it four months ago

i believe in you

i'm not saying you can't, i'm just saying that treating it like everyone can just *do* it is unhelpful at best and harmful at worst. note i'm also not saying you shouldn't try, you definitely should do everything you can to quit but also don't consider people unable to quit for whatever reason as being "failures" or "just not trying hard enough" whatever. we really need to reconsider our societal views on addiction before we can get anywhere with it as a mental health concern.

ok i'm done seriousposting in the silly vaper thread ty for listening

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Yes it is.. Quitting smoking is easy. Do you really believe that quitting smoking is a near impossible task, just because the pamphlets that the government forced the cigarette companies to produce say so?

Or because the makers of nicotine patches say it's impossible to quit without help?

People have been smoking and quitting smoking since literally the stone age.

Stop smoking. Dont make excuses. Dont replace it with something else.

Just stop smoking, suck it down and feel miserable for a few days, and then get on with your life.

Again I don't think it's near-impossible, I just think treating it like "lol suck it up bitch it's easy" is a great way to make sure people fail at it and completely the wrong way to go about this. Statistically, quitting has a success rate of 4% to 7% per attempt cold turkey, 25% with "medications", so just because it was easy for you don't act like other people are just not "trying hard enough" or something, it is legitimately difficult and should be treated the same as any other addiction.

reallivedinosaur posted:

And quit comparing it to serious addictions with life-threatening withdrawal symptoms. It's not the same thing.

Giving up coffee was harder than giving up cigarettes and I smoked for 20 years.

whether or not something has life-threatening withdrawal symptoms has no bearing on its addictive potential or ease of quitting mentally. physically obviously you can quit smoking without outright dying but addiction is mostly a mental disease.

and gently caress i'm not just talking out of my rear end I was addicted to goddamn amphetamines for a long time and i quit those cold turkey so it's not like i think they're the same thing or something like that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And let me repeat that none of this is an excuse, nothing I am saying is meant to excuse not trying, just don't act like it's super easy for everyone because it was easy for you and that people who fail are big babies that just need to suck it up. People who fail are addicts who need loving support not ridicule.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol I know that guy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Clitch posted:

Vapor liquid is made of 4 components: Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, Nicotine, and Flavoring. All 4 of these are produced in pharmaceutical grade in the US by companies like Dow and Procter & Gamble. The poo poo's not expensive, either. Even in-house mixers can buy legit ingredients, and clear a nice margin.

yeah and they're also produced cheaper in industrial grades by a lot more companies (at least propylene glycol is) and I'm sure there's a big chunk of the market that doesn't give a gently caress where they source it from. you can be sure that if there's no regulations requiring the use of food-grade components for a particular thing and inspections to enforce compliance, a pretty good sized (if minority) chunk of the market will not be using them. hell dietary supplements even have this sort of problem and they're way more mainstream.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAmbONE posted:

I'm confused are you talking about all birds in general, a particular type of bird, or one specific bird?

yeah cuz this bird specifically is pretty rad:

https://vine.co/v/i5nuTEIEehH

https://vine.co/v/iO1Dblwvtdg

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Vaping must be healthier because it's illegal to sell SNUS to minors because it's a tobacco product, but even little kids are hopping on the vape train because what 5 year old wouldn't want to inhale a cloud of lollipops?

Repackaging nicotine as candy is kind of a dick thing to do and is why flavored cigarettes are illegal around these parts now.

The whole "tobacco products with flavors are a tool to entice children!!" thing has always seemed completely made up to me though, because it makes two assumptions - that children can even get the things in the first place, and that stoner adults aren't actually the ones buying it to make blunts with

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Throwdown posted:

I have friends who vape and some sad ones who go to conventions and competitions, I do fire performing and primarily fire breathe as a side job and make good money doing it so I don't get the appeal of "breathing" water vapor. And no, I don't do it at the dinner table. I did get to watch a dude almost getting his rear end kicked for engulfing a girl in fog at a performance not too long ago, it was pretty loving funny.

Now you have to one-up him by engulfing a girl in fire, lest you lose your status as a True Alpha

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

what about a coffee shop.....that has board games u can play?? also u can vape in there

here they're called "non-alcoholic bars" and the last time I was in one there were a bunch of people in one corner watching anime, a guy at the bar using Ubuntu with the default awful desktop, and the TV over the bar was playing the latest episode of Steven Universe

i saw a flyer recently saying that they're having an "anime cosplay party" too :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

developing countries have really lax laws for tobacco regulation, in some countries Phillip Morris will literally set up stands outside of schools and sell individual cigarettes to kids

yeah i know about that, i saw that Last Week Tonight thing too, but I at least meant in the US where there's been a lot of push to ban flavors because "only kids would want flavors"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

extra stout posted:

a lot of push? do you mean when they successfully did ban all flavors in 2009, except for menthol because according to the billion dollar tobacco defense cloves would have been a risk to kids but minty menthol was not, and it worked lmao

if they're banned then why do i still see PSA commercials complaining about it and how did I smoke tasty strawberry blunts back in college in 2010?

also the excuse I heard from tobacco about menthol was that it would disproportionately affect blacks since they're the primary consumers and this is racism.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Tobacco companies would never market to kids to try and get new customers, sounds like a liberal myth to me too.

(I was buying cigarettes at 12 because the clerk at 7-11 usually doesn't care that much not everybody strictly adheres to the law)

I'm sure its a coincidence that vape juice is mostly candy flavored and the people I see vaping all look to be under 20.

I'm not saying tobacco companies won't try to go after kids if given the chance, just that the people arguing against flavors are making PSA's like that one where literal 8 year olds are buying cigarettes specifically because it's tasty grape flavor, when that just doesn't seem to reflect reality as far as I can tell. I'm not saying kids don't like tasty flavors, but I've known tons of smokers and I've never met one who started smoking because of strawberry flavoring.

I also don't think you can draw that conclusion between the huge uptick in young people vaping and the flavorings. Teens are doing it for the same reason they've always smoked, it's cool as hell when you're 16 and a big gently caress u dad to boot, with the bonus that vaping is still seen as "safe."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is really a thing. I've seen videos. The small rooms they do it in are so choked with smog by the end it's disgusting. Also, the girls present usually have longer beards than most of the guys.

Is there dubstep? I can only imagine this taking place with tons of dubstep.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just don't understand why they would even exist. It's like the vaping equivalent of an eating contest, it's a skill that impresses people in a very small subset of the population and physically disgusts everyone else

So e-sports then

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Does it matter if they are 8 or 10 or 13?

Yes, because an 8 year old's ability to buy cigarettes is vastly different than a 13 year old's. 8 year olds don't generally have any money, and I doubt most inept 7-11 attendants would sell to an 8 year old, even if they sell to 13 year olds. Furthermore 8 year olds are the only actual target demographic where I could see candy flavoring being the prime selling point. By 13 you've come to the "gently caress u dad"/"it's cool" age.

reallivedinosaur posted:

I'm sure cartoon robot dick candy flavored nicotine juice posted earlier in the thread is geared towards a sophisticated adult audience trying to quit smoking, and not to exploit 13 year olds the exact same way Joe Camel was designed to.

Joe Camel didn't exist in a time when there was a substantial target audience of infantile manchildren in their early 20's building steampunk robot dicks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Back in December, Representative Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) made headlines when he proudly declared to the masses, “Yes, I vape.” Then again, just yesterday, Hunter was back showing off sick clouds right in the middle of a congressional hearing. So is the man just wildly passionate about vaping? Maybe, sure. But it probably doesn’t hurt that, since 2010, Duncan Hunter has received $31,500 in donations from big tobacco’s e-cig manufacturers.

Big Vape :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jackyl posted:

lol there has to be a video of this

i reverse-gis'd it and the first result was this middle-aged israeli dude playing with a super soaker really seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLlkoMuUMiI

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Big City Drinkin posted:

Middle-aged? How old are you?

Not that old :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

really though I thought middle age is from like 35 to 55, because it's the "middle" third of life, that guy looks mid-30's to me :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAmbONE posted:

http://www.volcanovaporizer.com/shop_us/en

I have always thought about this, I knew a goon who had one and it was very efficient. As far as I am aware he has it for years and it still runs well with very little maintenance.

So loving expensive though

idk if it's changed since nicotine vaporizers have hit the market but back before weed started leaving me an anxiety-filled wreck the volcano was the absolute 100% best thing ever, i knew this rich kid in college that had one and man it was great

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dely Apple posted:

Aren't flavor artists the guys at Subway who get really mad if you ask them to not douse your sad dumb sandwich in mayo?

No those are flavor autists :iamafag:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

taste your juice dot com sounds like a bukakke fetish site

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I actually just watched an interesting thing on how ecigs work. Basically, if the system gets overheated (like it does for those idiots who just want to blow massive clouds) it burns the glycerol instead of atomizing it, and when you burn glycerol (and the other contents) you wind up with a bunch of nasty poo poo you don't want to be inhaling. This only happens if you turn the power way up (like the vapecore dubstep idiots), if the system is cheap and poorly regulated (like the crappy disposables) or if the atomizer gets clogged so the liquid sits on the element longer due to lack of airflow.

Here's the vid for anyone who cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5QtGerJ_tI

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i know a bunch of quebecois who use a method of smoking hash where you cut a hole in a soda bottle then pick up a lil crumb of hash on the end of a lit cigarette then stick it in the soda bottle which fills up with a mix of both hash and tobacco smoke. then you take the cap off and inhale the whole thing at once. its good stuff

reallivedinosaur posted:

You mean bottle tokes? Has nothing to do with quebecois and there's practically no tobacco smoke if you do it right. It's more like a macguyver'd vape for high school kids.

Rule one is use a glass bottle, though.

my first hit of weed ever was through a sprite can with a socket wrench socket jammed in a hole cut in one end for a bowl :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

People seem kind irrationally upset about vaping itt, like i only see people doing it occasionally where i live and its just like one dude asking the bartender if they can vape inside, the bartender saying sure, then the dude puffing away. I've never really noticed an odor from it and no one else at said bars really seems to care. Is this the next generation of goons who force themselves to cough a bunch when they see a smoker a block away?

I will admit that the really obnoxious vapers are kinda infrequent but when you run into one drat they are such assholes it kinda leaves a strong impression

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

cigarette smokers arent dumb enough to go around telling people how much healthier it is now that they smoke THIS way *produces stupid contraption from pocket*

its the illusion of the "health" benefits that i find most entertaining, and deserving of ridicule. no smoker thinks this way, but if they did i would make fun of them as well.

cigarette smokers generally don't smoke inside or in enclosed spaces either, but vapers will insist that IT'S JUST VAPOR and keep puffing away

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

self esteem is a real thing, so thats not junk science imo

never really considered this, but even as a mecha fan it is not enough to make me want to try.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Necros posted:

ive never had anyone blow that stuff on me inside anywhere. im not sure where you guys live but these drat kids with their mobile fog machines sound like real assholes.

you've never seen a guy at the mall sitting at a e-cig stand trying to sell them by puffing clouds in people's faces? because for a little while every single mall I visited had at least one of those douches. they seem to have all gotten kicked out though, which is good.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

How often do you go to the mall? I'll go once in a while but it's with the intent of witnessign this kind of trash

idk now and then i just go with a friend and we get some lunch at the food court and walk around and people watch :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Vapor? I hardly knew 'er!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Snark posted:

The entire reason smoking makes you look cool is because tobacco companies have been pressing that image since advertisement became a thing. It worked, in violation of all sense.

What is inherently cool about a small stick that emits among the foulest of odors, stains the walls and your teeth, gives you the voice of cancer kermit- and cancer- while ensuring most people with a working nose want nothing to do with you or anything you've smoked enough around?

Hell, vaporizing could be made to look cool more easily and lack all of those drawbacks. The drat things already sound more like some retrofuturistic gun than the latest vice.

Get this: eggs are CHICKEN MENSTRUATIONS and big chicken has been lying to you this whole time! Who would want to eat menstruations???

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can't imagine how anyone can start smoking in Canada with that stuff plastered all over the packs. Yeah give me the red pack, no the one that shows what my teeth will look like in ten years

tbf smoking something with rotting corpse parts on it is pretty metal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

I don't recall a marketing campaign to make eggs cool. It's just a food that we've eaten for thousands of years. We started eating them out of necessity and it carried over to the modern age. No multi-million marketing campaign to get people to eat it.

You goddammed dumbass.

lol

vape + memes = le epic win!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean yeah the ads certainly cemented the idea in popular culture - it's not like they had no effect, they practically created the entire modern image of a cowboy. But smoking was cool long before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Heath posted:

Why would you willingly compound your health issues

nice u/n post combo

edit: oh your name is heath not health i take it back

• Locked thread