Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Problem description: Sometimes, while playing Rocket League or a few other games, I notice that my video will just stutter and I will get a weird buzzing noise from my speakers for about a third of a second. I can't seem to predict when or why this will happen, but the stuttering will repeat every couple of seconds and the game is unplayable. This also sometimes happens with video in Chrome.

Attempted fixes: I opened up the desktop and blew out as much dust as I could. There was some, but I think I got rid of it. I don't think it's heat as everything seems to be running in the low 30's. I also did a clean install of the video driver. Sometimes restarting my computer works, but sometimes not.

Recent changes: No.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

System specs: Home-built, this is a Speccy copy-paste but the output looks accurate to me.

CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM- 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard- MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics - 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (MSI)
Storage- 111GB KINGSTON SH103S3120G (SSD) and 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0 (SATA)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, some posts have suggested this is a GPU problem, others suggest this is a motherboard problem. Not sure which to follow!

Thanks for the help!

TroubledWaters fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try using DDU to uninstall your video drivers: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-driver-uninstaller-ddu- Then reinstall the latest.

If that doesn't help then I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if that issue continues.

Also, what kind of PSU are you using and how old is it?

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
I don't think it's the video drivers! Using DPC Latency, you can clearly see where I had my ASUS PCE-N10 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card driver running and when I turned it off.

The only question is, how do I fix this? Device Manger says I already have the latest driver.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Check for an updated driver from the manufacturer or replace the card. Device manager just runs Windows Update so won't offer you new drivers provided by the manufacturer.

• Locked thread