Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

reallivedinosaur posted:

My enthusiasm for Futurama's return died about 5 minutes into the first CC episode which was some dumb poo poo with Leela & Zapp Branigan on orgy planet or whatever and I knew the show had been retooled for the 13-14 year old demographic.

How old were you when you first watched it?

Hammerite posted:

if you know which number season of the simpsons an episode is from (any episode) or if you know more than a couple of episode titles then you are a super nerd and you should watch cartoons less please

Yeah, any more than "the one where..." and my brain just kinda freezes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

HJB posted:

How old were you when you first watched it?

Yeah, any more than "the one where..." and my brain just kinda freezes up.

First watched what? Futurama or that episode? I was mid 20s when the show started.

There were some good CC episodes but that first orgy planet one was like a lovely erotic fanfic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

reallivedinosaur posted:

And stereotype asian pikahcu and stereotype black "black comic book girl" I think.

God that was some lovely television.

All those things sound good, though?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Drawn Together directly inspired Panty & Stocking, so it's worth it just for that

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Drawn Together was good as a lead in to Mind of Mencia I guess.

The concept of a big brother reality show where the people in the house are all totally different cartoon characters is a good one. They just did a really lovely job of it.

What they delivered was "what if we use stereotypical gay, black, asian characters to retread the same old gay, black and asian jokes". It wasn't offensive to me or anything, just banal and boring. To be fair though I only watched maybe 1 an a half episodes, so maybe there was some good stuff I missed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Hammerite posted:

if you know which number season of the simpsons an episode is from (any episode) or if you know more than a couple of episode titles then you are a super nerd and you should watch cartoons less please

Yeah rereading my post makes that seem pretty unclear, but "Sit Down, Shut Up" was a show, not an episode of The Simpsons. It got cancelled pretty quickly as I recall. I remember watching most of it online.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Rick and Morty is what Futurama should have become

yeah rick and morty is great as is venture brothers and a few others.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, that episode was a jump the shark moment, but there were still moments of brilliance through out. The Simpsons really just had a long arc to mediocrity, not the sudden drop they're accused of. I remember watching the first episode live as I sat on the couch with my brother while our mom was taking my sister to one of our cousins' to spend the night and our dad was forward deployed to Germany. It was the Xmas special where Homer gets Santa's Little Helper. i knew it was something new, something my mom wouldn't be thrilled with and our Dad would probably love. It was a series that would be the source of a lot of in jokes between my brother and I for a very long time. I was the coolest kid in Mrs. Dixon's 4th grade class when I started recording episodes on the VHS and sneaking them to my friends in Disney covers when their parents had banned the show from their house.

The Simpsons was a huge deal then, it was the source of play-ground jokes, a really cool arcade game we'd throw quarters in to at the gas station nearest our neighborhood and our first taste of "Fighting the system" by wearing Simpsons shirts to school after they had been banned by the principal after a PTA meeting.

Very few things hold as much sincere endearment to aging Gen-Xers as the early Simpsons

My first Simpsons episode was when i was like 9/10 and i was in the hospital. it was the episode where Lisa fell for nelson. it was good poo poo. i stopped watching pretty late. i think the last one i saw was moe watching maggie or some poo poo. i stopped watching soon after.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My first Simpsons episode was when i was like 9/10 and i was in the hospital. it was the episode where Lisa fell for nelson. it was good poo poo. i stopped watching pretty late. i think the last one i saw was moe watching maggie or some poo poo. i stopped watching soon after.

was that because you died in the hospital

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's an anthology episode where they have Nelson and Lisa redo Sid & Nancy and they conveniently leave out the stabby murder ending.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

muscles like this? posted:

There's an anthology episode where they have Nelson and Lisa redo Sid & Nancy and they conveniently leave out the stabby murder ending.

It was pretty messed up source material and the whole episode not funny. Like they randomly picked a dvd off their shelf and pasted Simpsons characters in, made 20 minutes of footage for TV and didn't even bother to write jokes. A computer program could have generated that.

That was maybe one of the last episodes I ever saw, I only saw it by accident, Simpsons pretty much ended with the movie for me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I forgot there was a Simpsons movie.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Is there a Slenderman episode yet

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Leroy Dennui posted:

Is there a Slenderman episode yet

Lisa and the twins, Sheri and Terri, ritualistically murder Milhouse and leave his corpse in a shallow grave after getting caught up in the latest internet fad. Meanwhile, Homer and Moe's road trip to the Grand Canyon takes a wacky detour through the Middle East.

Guest stars Muriel Hemingway, Dane Cook and Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Someone should make a Buzzfeed type quiz where you have to work out whether an episode synopsis is real or fake. Like 'Marge opens a franchise of a sandwich shop' - did I make this poo poo up or did Simpsons writers actually think that'd be amusing?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I remember thinking the Simpsons movie was OK when I saw it years ago. Never seen these horrible seasons everyone's talking about though. Why don't they just do an adaptation of Bart the General? That would be better than what they have,

Also is Venture Brothers still funny? I haven't watched it since like season 2 or something

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I remember thinking the Simpsons movie was OK when I saw it years ago. Never seen these horrible seasons everyone's talking about though. Why don't they just do an adaptation of Bart the General? That would be better than what they have,

Also is Venture Brothers still funny? I haven't watched it since like season 2 or something

Yeah the new season is in New York and feels a lot more of a return to form than some of the previous ones, which were a bit more introspective.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

netally posted:

Someone should make a Buzzfeed type quiz where you have to work out whether an episode synopsis is real or fake. Like 'Marge opens a franchise of a sandwich shop' - did I make this poo poo up or did Simpsons writers actually think that'd be amusing?

See, but it's really all in the execution, and the classic seasons' descriptions sound weird or dull too. "Marge opens a mobile pretzel business" doesn't sound entertaining or fun, but it definitely was.

"Homer is selected to be on a space shuttle crew as part of a publicity stunt by NASA to boost shuttle launch ratings."
"While vistiing Itchy and Scratchy Land, the Simpsons must defeat an army of the park's animatronics that have gone rogue."
"Homer and Grandpa go on the road selling their homemade elixir that works as an aphrodisiac. The children think the ensuing disappearance of their parents is part of a large conspiracy."

Admittedly of course there are a lot of new episodes that are obviously pandering to trendy topics.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

See, but it's really all in the execution, and the classic seasons' descriptions sound weird or dull too. "Marge opens a mobile pretzel business" doesn't sound entertaining or fun, but it definitely was.

"Homer is selected to be on a space shuttle crew as part of a publicity stunt by NASA to boost shuttle launch ratings."
"While vistiing Itchy and Scratchy Land, the Simpsons must defeat an army of the park's animatronics that have gone rogue."
"Homer and Grandpa go on the road selling their homemade elixir that works as an aphrodisiac. The children think the ensuing disappearance of their parents is part of a large conspiracy."

Admittedly of course there are a lot of new episodes that are obviously pandering to trendy topics.

Pandering to trendy topics is what all good sitcoms do pretty much, animated or not.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

does anyone remember the episode that started with an extra long opening sequence that was a big ode to lady gaga? the whole family was wearing weird clothes and singing autotune backup to cartoon lady gaga, and it was just totally awful, it felt like an extended advertisement or something. i think that was the last time i tried to proactively watch a new episode

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
seriously, just goolge "simp pics" , wtf is this cartoon up to these days??

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Yo don't talk poo poo about Zoidberg.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

carrion kit posted:

seriously, just goolge "simp pics" , wtf is this cartoon up to these days??

Sewiouswy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecYoSvGO60

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

After season 2 it got worse and worse as it took itself more and more seriously. It worked best as a parody show. It eventually got too far into its own lore.

First episode of the new season was promising though.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah rick and morty is great as is venture brothers and a few others.

Milhouse, in that epsiode more than anyother, was the epitome of Goon before it was even a thing

Squack McQuack posted:

After season 2 it got worse and worse as it took itself more and more seriously. It worked best as a parody show. It eventually got too far into its own lore.

Also this is real dumb and very wrong. Please tell Doc and Marty to get your mother a coat hangar and shop vac next time they go back.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
According to the summary on wikipedia, Marge opens a sandwich franchise and it does poorly because Cletus opens a shop from the same franchise across the street.

Achewood did it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Why don't they just do an adaptation of Bart the General? That would be better than what they have,

Physically fighting back against bullies would probably be considered politically-incorrect today and result in a lot of angry tweets and blog posts.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The_Franz posted:

Physically fighting back against bullies would probably be considered politically-incorrect today and result in a lot of angry tweets and blog posts.

Thats just free advertising and a no-brainer way to fill 20 minutes on the commentary track when you release to Blu-Ray/DVD

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
But they don't make the DVDs or blu rays anymore.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
is there not some detailed theory that homer has been in a coma for a decade

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

reallivedinosaur posted:

Lisa and the twins, Sheri and Terri, ritualistically murder Milhouse and leave his corpse in a shallow grave after getting caught up in the latest internet fad. Meanwhile, Homer and Moe's road trip to the Grand Canyon takes a wacky detour through the Middle East.

Guest stars Muriel Hemingway, Dane Cook and Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

This, but unironically. It'd be cool if they got Lowtax to voice Slenderman, but I'd also settle for SlenderMoe or Slender Reverend Lovejoy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

deadly_pudding posted:

This, but unironically. It'd be cool if they got Lowtax to voice Slenderman, but I'd also settle for SlenderMoe or Slender Reverend Lovejoy.

Slender Duff-Man

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Slender Fit-Fat Tony Man

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

remember when lovejoy couldn't gently caress his wife so homer sold them his mattress and then he and marge couldn't gently caress? we've all been there.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

AARO fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 12, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

boom boom boom posted:

I hand't thought of it before, but you're right. Fry, Bender, and Professor Farnsworth are pretty solid characters, but Amy and Hermes rarely have anything to do, Zoidburg is too weird to be a regular, and Leela is just awful

What made Leela a bad character? She was kind of annoying but I thought that was just one of her character traits.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Leela friendzoned Fry because her standards are too high

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

The_Franz posted:

I think he meant this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_6Kp7q5tbA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I had a fight with some kid because of the Simpsons in school. It was the one where Homer sings, "Hey there blimpy boy!" But this kid kept saying "Hey there bludgy boy!" And insisted that's what the lyrics were and the way he kept singing it over and over with his stupid fat face and horrible teeth and he just kept singing it so I hit him and we had a fight. I think we were about 10? Maybe?

Well, that's my strongest Simpsons memory anyway.

• Locked thread